Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

#bellletstark

#BellLetsTalk  Once a year Bell Canada does mental health awareness day (Let's Talk). For every tweet, Bell donates a sum (I think it's five cents) for each time the hashtag is retweeted or it's put in an IM.  Celebs like Howie Mandel, Serena Ryder and Clara Hughes (Olympian in winter and summer games and winner of last year's Canada Reads)) who have experienced mental health issues promote it.  I forgot about it yesterday till Patty Murin (Colin D's wife) retweeted it.

47 minutes ago, ComicFan777 said:

I think I am the odd one out - the impression I got of Tina from the 5.10 scene and 5.11 preview was she was a little too smug - I didn't like her line delivery/facial expression combo.  I think she's trying too hard.  I don't know...her attitude came across a lot more like Wild Dog

The promo was cut in an Action! Action! Badass! Action! way, which don't impress me because what I liked about  yesterday's episode is that they finally got away from action and into something more thoughtful but I can understand that they want to appeal to the dudebros who insist that Black Canary is a necessary part of Green Arrow.

I get the feeling that she isn't the most subtle actress and that they hired her for her ability to be the Black Canary action figure rather than Tina-part-of-Team-Arrow but she may improve.  Caity Lotz was a bit clunky when she started as Sara and she grew into the role.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, tv echo said:

I wonder if that 510 ending scene with Tina was originally planned to be the beginning scene of 511. That would explain why the Tina spoilers originally said that she would debut in 511.

I think it was always supposed to be in 10-IIRC, she was on set during shooting for that ep, and someone posted a pic with her. I think maybe they just wanted it to be a surprise?

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I get the feeling that she isn't the most subtle actress and that they hired her for her ability to be the Black Canary action figure rather than Tina-part-of-Team-Arrow but she may improve.  Caity Lotz was a bit clunky when she started as Sara and she grew into the role.

It's hard to judge her acting with just two lines (but man that was a LOT of smirking), so let's hope she excels at the action. KC was particularly terrible last night. In that scene where Prometheus takes her down, you can clearly see her telegraphing her fall before he even touches her. But with Tina and Talia, maybe we'll get some good female action scenes like back when Sara was around?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Proteus said:

I'm kind of ticked that Thea is MIA. She's my favorite character so I'm not liking this.

Yeah, that "Thea's at a conference" thing was weak. And I fully expect them to continue to use something like that. I see lots of out-of-town conferences, business at City Hall, etc. in her future. Maybe she'll occasionally suit up as Speedy, stand on a roof and talk to Oliver and then disappear when it's time for the action.

Though there is supposed to be more mayoral stuff coming up, so maybe we'll get more Thea then? But maybe not, if they want to focus on Oliver as mayor and not Thea covering for him. 

18 minutes ago, tv echo said:

I wonder if that 510 ending scene with Tina was originally planned to be the beginning scene of 511. That would explain why the Tina spoilers originally said that she would debut in 511.

I haven't watched every episode this season, but aren't they doing that thing they did in S3 in ending each episode with a cliffhanger and/or a hook for the next ep?

6 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Yeah, that "Thea's at a conference" thing was weak. And I fully expect them to continue to use something like that. I see lots of out-of-town conferences, business at City Hall, etc. in her future. Maybe she'll occasionally suit up as Speedy, stand on a roof and talk to Oliver and then disappear when it's time for the action.

Though there is supposed to be more mayoral stuff coming up, so maybe we'll get more Thea then? But maybe not, if they want to focus on Oliver as mayor and not Thea covering for him. 

I can see what you're describing happening too which is why I'm worried. Look out how Lance has been offscreen for so long. 

Plus in all the new interviews this week Thea wasn't mentioned even once.

2 hours ago, LeighAn said:

Well I haven't watched the episode entirely yet Im saving it for later. But of the Olicity scenes I've watched I honestly think Diggle and Felicity will be his success storylines this year primarily with the newbies being side pieces. 

I read Jen from Something to live for tumblr review and one part I do agree with her on is that Olivers optimism and hope of there being some good in Black Siren is a precursor for Felicity and Diggle coming up. If he goes as far as he did for Black Siren he will go further for Felicity.

Sorry. I meant his success as in a redemption arc.  Neither Felicity nor Diggle need to be redeemed.  They just need to be reminded of who they are.  He wanted/tried to help both Helena and Sara "find another way." He didn't. Last night he wanted to help BS.  As Felicity pointed out if he could redeem her he could be redeemed.  

It actually just struck me when I was reading one of the WM's interviews how much the Oliver/Tina connection sounded like his connections to both Helena and Sara.  Doesn't mean story will play out the same way.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I think WM mentioned her saying that they want to keep using her like they are doing, so not as a team member. I think they have no idea what to do with Thea..they also have too many characters to think about.

Yeah, they seem at a loss for what to do with Thea without a love interest. Honestly though, I loved Thea best when Roy was around because she got great stories and had someone to act off of that was canonically around her age. Now that there's only the recruits, they don't seem to even be trying that so Thea gets stuck babysitting Lance and doing mayoral duties for Oliver. 

At this point, I'd be fine if they gave Thea an arc with Wild Dog because at least she'd be in the damn episode, doing something. Since they're already convinced that Wild Dog is the second coming of Oliver or whatever and they insist that he gets more emotional beats than Thea and Lance combined now, they might as well have him interact with Thea/Lance just to get those two in an episode.   

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

At this point, I'd be fine if they gave Thea an arc with Wild Dog because at least she'd be in the damn episode, doing something. Since they're already convinced that Wild Dog is the second coming of Oliver or whatever and they insist that he gets more emotional beats than Thea and Lance combined now, they might as well have him interact with Thea/Lance just to get those two in an episode.   

Well, we do have 512 coming up with Rene running interference for the Lance/Susan interview, so unless Thea's out of town for another conference, I'm going to assume she has to be there for that and hope they just left her out of the description because... I don't know. I'm going to assume that since Thea knows that Susan's shady, she wouldn't just leave Lance to handle her on his own, so maybe she recruits Rene to help her? I don't know. Just give Thea something to do. Maybe Thea and Rene will bond then, so we'll get something for Thea? 

Since they have to pay Willa Holland anyway because she's a regular, I don't understand why they can't have her drop by for things like the party.  And isn't she still living in the bunker since Oliver moved her down there in 509 and this is only a couple of days later?  How is it she can go to a conference when Prometheus is after everyone close to Oliver?

On one hand, I can see why they want new characters with back stories to tell and grow and Thea has already been through that but on the other hand, it's not going to kill them to have two women fighters on the Team, especially if Rory is going to be gone soon (sob).  That welcome back party was so testosterone heavy, it was like a fog in the air.

11 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I meant his success as in a redemption arc.  Neither Felicity nor Diggle need to be redeemed.  They just need to be reminded of who they are.  He wanted/tried to help both Helena and Sara "find another way." He didn't. Last night he wanted to help BS.  As Felicity pointed out if he could redeem her he could be redeemed.  

I see your point, it would be a way of Oliver redeeming himself from the bad he has done. But both Helena and Sara were much darker than it seems that Tina is.  Helena was actively trying to start a gang war out of her bitterness and Sara saw herself as permanently damaged because of her time with the LoA.  Tina just seems standard disgruntled, and given how quickly she joins them, there's not much redemption to be done.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Well, we do have 512 coming up with Rene running interference for the Lance/Susan interview, so unless Thea's out of town for another conference, I'm going to assume she has to be there for that and hope they just left her out of the description because... I don't know. I'm going to assume that since Thea knows that Susan's shady, she wouldn't just leave Lance to handle her on his own, so maybe she recruits Rene to help her? I don't know. Just give Thea something to do. Maybe Thea and Rene will bond then, so we'll get something for Thea? 

That's what I was wondering about. Why was Thea left out of that episode description? Sigh. She better be involved in this episode.

I don't dislike Renee as most do, lol, so I wouldn't mind Thea paired with him. I just want her given something to do.

Edited by Proteus
44 minutes ago, Proteus said:

I'm kind of ticked that Thea is MIA. She's my favorite character so I'm not liking this.

I saw someone on Twitter speculate that Tina could end up being Thea's new love interest and now that's all I want!

• Love 3
1 minute ago, statsgirl said:

I see your point, it would be a way of Oliver redeeming himself from the bad he has done. But both Helena and Sara were much darker than it seems that Tina is.  Helena was actively trying to start a gang war out of her bitterness and Sara saw herself as permanently damaged because of her time with the LoA.  Tina just seems standard disgruntled, and given how quickly she joins them, there's not much redemption to be done.

Maybe she's just going from place to place causing widespread destruction without caring if people die.  If she is looking for someone Oliver & Co have the resources (Felicity) to help find them which might be why she joins up so quickly.  

I'm going to stop now. My reasoning is starting to make the casting call feel real.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Maybe she's just going from place to place causing widespread destruction without caring if people die.  If she is looking for someone Oliver & Co have the resources (Felicity) to help find them which might be why she joins up so quickly.  

That just makes me fear that Oliver brings Tina back to Star City, tells Felicity to help her find whoever she's looking for and that's another reason Felicity recruits other people to help with Prometheus - because Oliver's clearly not making him a priority and is instead picking up all these other things (helping BS, recruiting a BC/helping her, mayoral business, etc.).

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Sunshine said:

So is Tina going to be Oliver's "success" story in "showing another way"?  Helena was a failure. Sara wasn't a success for him either. (She returned to the LOA at the end of S2).  

I had the same thought. This is the third time they try this 'Oliver trying to help someone he sees as a mirror of himself'.

So, I wasn't around during the last month, and catching up with the thread seems an impossible feat - what's the general consensus on Tina? I mean, why do we think they decided to bring yet another BC on board - and why they agreed to kill the last one, if she was so fundamental?

Sorry for rehashing this ?

4 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

That just makes me fear that Oliver brings Tina back to Star City, tells Felicity to help her find whoever she's looking for and that's another reason Felicity recruits other people to help with Prometheus - because Oliver's clearly not making him a priority and is instead picking up all these other things (helping BS, recruiting a BC/helping her, mayoral business, etc.).

I don't know if it's the only reason but I think Oliver not being solely focused on getting Prometheus will be part of it.  

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, looptab said:

I had the same thought. This is the third time they try this 'Oliver trying to help someone he sees as a mirror of himself'.

So, I wasn't around during the last month, and catching up with the thread seems an impossible feat - what's the general consensus on Tina? I mean, why do we think they decided to bring yet another BC on board - and why they agreed to kill the last one, if she was so fundamental?

Sorry for rehashing this ?

Haha - can of worms.

I think most agree Tina/BC is a DC push. EPs and SA have a company line going about how important BC is as a character to the GA comics.

Personally I think killing off Laurel was about getting rid of KC.

If you want reaction to the spoilers of Tina, there really isn't a general consensus. Some think she is someone they will mask and put in the background. Some think Tina is going to be a Oliver's new leading lady. etc etc etc.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, looptab said:

There's no consensus.

To me it looks like corporate Time Warner wants the Black Canary IP visible for whatever reason [movies most likely] and the order came for Arrow to keep the IP alive*. It needs to be a new one because KC's contract is over and done.

* I have seen people in the know within the industry say that Wild Dog is in the same situation -- corporate needs the IP visible, Arrow is their platform for this.

However, I really do not think either corporate Time Warner nor DC Comics have any say in HOW Arrow does nuBC. They push and protect IPs, they don't really push content. That's up to the usual suspects -- EPs and writers, with notes from Pedowitz's people [CW] and Roth's people [WBTV].

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Chaser said:

I think most agree Tina/BC is a DC push. EPs and SA have a company line going about how important BC is as a character to the GA comics.

Personally I think killing off Laurel was about getting rid of KC.

I totally agree with this! 

I am leaning towards her being a love interest for Oliver down the line. The 'fake' sides still make me think that it is one of the requirements of the character. And no matter how often MG will say that they leak fake ones, I still believe that the words might be fake but the intent isn't.

However looking at the ratings, I guess they won't be happy that people are really not coming back for more, regardless of how 'glorious' season 5A apparently is. I doubt they'll be won back by another masked canary. But then again DC rarely knows what's up (looking at you BvS)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

2 Black 2 Canary
Black Canary: Tokyo Drift
Black & Canary
Canary Five
Black & Canary 6
Canary 7
The Fate of the Canary

I'm Black Canary, yes I'm the real Canary
All you other Black Canaries are just imitating
So won't the real Black Canary please stand up,

Please stand up, please stand up

• Love 4

I wonder if they're going to rank these women they decide to look into to become the next BC. Say, in case Tina doesn't work out, they have a second choice, third, etc. The beginning of the extended promo basically made it seem like Oliver was ruling out some options and then as soon as Curtis says, "hey, cry," Oliver decides, "Yep." Is the canary cry the only actual requirement? I would actually kind of like it if, even after they recruit Tina, they sort of keep other possibilities in their minds and don't just decide, "Okay, we're set." 

Also, please tell me they vet Tina completely. I'm talking have everyone they know who can run a background check run a background check, look into her whereabouts for the last oh, say, 10 years, and make sure there's no way she could have crossed paths with Prometheus or any of their enemies, call up some references, etc. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

I wonder if they're going to rank these women they decide to look into to become the next BC. Say, in case Tina doesn't work out, they have a second choice, third, etc. The beginning of the extended promo basically made it seem like Oliver was ruling out some options and then as soon as Curtis says, "hey, cry," Oliver decides, "Yep." Is the canary cry the only actual requirement? I would actually kind of like it if, even after they recruit Tina, they sort of keep other possibilities in their minds and don't just decide, "Okay, we're set."

I have a feeling they won't look at anyone but Tina next week. There's just her. They're giving her the Palmer treatment -- dude wanted to build a super suit to become a superhero, he built it, the end. Tina has all characteristics to be BC, she'll be BC, the end.

And if she doesn't work out -- in a hypothetical situation that audiences reject her to the same level they did Laurel -- I figure it won't be until next season IF they try again, or if Berlanti goes to Time Warner and say, "look, we tried again and it flopped again".

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 2

After 4 years of Canary-ness, they should have a pretty good idea of how to make one work for the audience.

1) Do not put her between Oliver and Felicity - see Sara/Laurel S1/S2.

2) Put her in the background - See Laurel S3/S4

3) Make her Felicity's friend - See Sara S2. Laurel S3/S4

Edited by Chaser
  • Love 17

No offense to Tina and JH (who seems lovely BTW) but I am so over BC. I've actually had enough of that character. I'd much rather Sara was just the Canary of this universe and the whole BC thing was left alone now. They've had so many tries, I don't think I could be more over something.

I agree. IMO they gave their best shot with Sara's BC and the third (forth is you count Evelyn) try at the same character bores me as an idea without even seeing the execution. I think the best solution would have been to give Sara the title and if they wanted yet another newbie, for unknown reason, make JH at least a character we haven't seen before.

Oh and it's not because of a possible Oliver/Tina hook up. She can have him for all I care.

Edited by Midnight Lullaby
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

There's no consensus.

To me it looks like corporate Time Warner wants the Black Canary IP visible for whatever reason [movies most likely] and the order came for Arrow to keep the IP alive*. It needs to be a new one because KC's contract is over and done.

* I have seen people in the know within the industry say that Wild Dog is in the same situation -- corporate needs the IP visible, Arrow is their platform for this.

However, I really do not think either corporate Time Warner nor DC Comics have any say in HOW Arrow does nuBC. They push and protect IPs, they don't really push content. That's up to the usual suspects -- EPs and writers, with notes from Pedowitz's people [CW] and Roth's people [WBTV].

Yeah, I'm pretty sure both are TW pushes for IP for movies and/or Merchandice. I absolutely agree that TW is just like we want X on the show and the rest is up to Berlanti's peeps to figure out. However, I personally suspect that TW's BC push was make her the Bestest BC ASAP! So we now have the bestest fighter (even better than Sara, no doubt) the real Canary Cry (no devices for this chick she's miles better than all previous incarnations) etc.  I'm also not ruling out shorts and Fishnets to complete the look.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I'm excited about the potential of another female character but I'm not at all looking forward to another BC.

This is why I'm at war with myself because same. 

4 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure both are TW pushes for IP for movies and/or Merchandice. I absolutely agree that TW is just like we want X on the show and the rest is up to Berlanti's peeps to figure out. However, I personally suspect that TW's BC push was make her the Bestest BC ASAP! So we now have the bestest fighter (even better than Sara, no doubt) the real Canary Cry (no devices for this chick she's miles better than all previous incarnations) etc.  I'm also not ruling out shorts and Fishnets to complete the look.

Hmmm. Like, if they're going with BC as the greatest fighter ever on say, Gotham City Sirens, they need that kind of framing for the IP right now? Okay, I could see that.

And if so, then I  also wonder how much Laurel/KC damaged the IP in Time Warner's eyes that they would need to dictate these terms. LOL.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Same. Which is another reason why I don't see a hookup with Oliver. I don't think this is about pushing GA, I think its about pushing BC as a solo character.

It makes sense in my head by the way.

• Love 5

I think their chance for having BC on the show and it working and not being forced is pretty much gone. Sara was the best shot for that but they blew it by making LL BC. Not a lot of shows recast a character 3 times, I just don't see it working. 

Imo they already kinda screwed up with Tina with how they're bringing her in. First by doing it in a season where they already introduced a bunch of masks and made the team more overcrowded than ever. And second by making  her introduction this super special thing that has nothing to do with the main plot or a necessity for the team but as Laurel's weird wish. It feels beyond contrived imo. 

They probably think that giving her a real canary cry and making her an amazing fighter will be enough but the real problem with BC imo is that the character serves no relevant narrative purpose in what arrow became when they changed direction after season 1.

• Love 13

IDK. Tina could work. There's already fans supporting her and giving her a chance. I think it depends on how much they focus on her now. But her scene in 510 wasn't great tbh, although it was too short to really judge. 

23 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

Hmmm. Like, if they're going with BC as the greatest fighter ever on say, Gotham City Sirens, they need that kind of framing for the IP right now? Okay, I could see that.

And if so, then I  also wonder how much Laurel/KC damaged the IP in Time Warner's eyes that they would need to dictate these terms. LOL.

Yeah, I was kind of thinking along the lines of diminishing returns. They started out with a great BC, a popular character that is now a main/lead character on a spinoff. Then we got the "real" Canary which may have won some viewers over but, never reached Sara's popularity. 

Since you brought it up, I do wonder if TW thinks KC/LL damage their IP and this is an attempt to course correct. Especially if BC will appear in Gotham City Sirens as rumored.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I agree. IMO they gave their best shot with Sara's BC and the third (forth is you count Evelyn) try at the same character bores me as an idea without even seeing the execution. I think the best solution would have been to give Sara the title and if they wanted yet another newbie, for unknown reason, make JH at least a character we haven't seen before.

I also have BC fatigue. It just seems a bit try-hard for this character at this point. Why are you trying to make Fetch happen? But, until DC gets their house in order, they'll continue to use Arrow to push specific characters.

• Love 6

How to make Tina likable according to me:

1) She needs to display great physicality-the transitioning between stunt to actress needs to be fluid. She has to look like a pro.

2) Once she joins the team, she needs to lose the smug attitude. Maintain her core character attributes but don't try too hard or make her come off as "im a badass bitch". 

3) Let her bond more with the females than the males. Since Thea isn't around, she and Felicity need to have one on one female scenes. I truly believe if Evelyn and Felicity were given more scenes, Felicity could've sensed that something was off with Evelyn. Also this show hasn't had a single female  bonding scene since season 3. 

4) Don't attach her to anyone romantically. Let her make her own mark on the show. Honestly since these writers suck at the romance aspect of the show then don't even bother at this stage.

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, Trisha said:

Also, WM is talking more about Tina and Oliver's "emotional" connection:

*facepalm* Could she just not promote the show? I think I'd like the show more if they would not be promoting it at all. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Trisha said:

Also, WM is talking more about Tina and Oliver's "emotional" connection: http://tvline.com/2017/01/26/arrow-season-5-spoilers-tina-boland-vigilante/

It sounds like WM is basically saying, "Like Tina! Like Tina! You will like Tina because she's the best!" 

Also, I still don't like this whole "Tina is Oliver's equal" thing. It may not be what they mean, but it's sounding a bit offensive to every other person who has been on the team/worked with them. And if Tina is Oliver's equal, what does that mean comparing her to say, Prometheus? Speaking of Prometheus, I wonder if he'll have some sort of dampener to use against Tina - I bet he knows she exists because he knows everything.

Are they saying that Tina is his equal because Oliver's going to be sticking to being mayor more, so they basically think that if they tell us Tina is Oliver's equal then they can just have her in the field instead of him? I don't get it. 

• Love 4

I think the whole equal thing seems to be something that's important to them when it comes to BC. That's how they promoted Sara and now Tina and that's what Laurel spent literally episodes whining about because she didn't think Oliver treated her as an equal. I guess they mean in terms of fighting ability and because BC isn't supposed to be just a sidekick. 

Edited by tangerine95
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Belinea said:

Also if she has supernatural powers how can anyone be an equal? 

And really, if she gets really pissed at them, what's to stop her from just turning that canary cry of hers on them? It's not going to happen because she's their new BC, but it's tricky bringing in people who have magic/powers/etc.

Bringing in Rory and his rags could have backfired on them and he could have turned on Felicity because of Havenrock. Oliver invited him to join the team knowing about Havenrock but not really knowing much about those rags. What if he hadn't turned out to be the best of the recruits? What if he had turned on them? 

Tina is now a wild card - they don't know her, other than what they're going to read about her, right? - and they're just going to trust her? I hope we get some sort of explanation for this. 

• Love 4