Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

Dolph Lundgren cast as big bad in flashbacks? They've managed to surprise me. LOL. (And SA by the look of his twitter right now. Haha.)

As for who's coming out, it'll probably be someone on Supergirl. 

Edited by Guest

Also, I feel like everyone has already known that the flashbacks would end after this season or was it maybe just me making that assumption?

Edited by Belinea
4 minutes ago, Belinea said:

Also, I feel like everyone has already known that the flashbacks would end after this season or was it maybe just me making that assumption?

I think everyone assumed they'd end after this season but now we have it confirmed, I guess.

Dolph Lundgren?  Dolph Lundgren? Arrow, what the hell did I ever do to you?

Oh, right. Complain about your sets every episode. Carry on!

(Great stunt casting, I admit.)

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, quarks said:

Dolph Lundgren?  Dolph Lundgren? Arrow, what the hell did I ever do to you?

Oh, right. Complain about your sets every episode. Carry on!

(Great stunt casting, I admit.)

kind of went and googled him, and he may be a bad actor... but the man is apparently a certified genius!

"Dolph Lundgren – IQ 160. That's right, Ivan Drago is a genius. Dolph has a degree in chemical engineering from the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden. He also received a master's degree in chemical engineering from the University of Sydney and the next year was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship to MIT"

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

He may look like a dumb blond ....  but if  you've ever heard an interview with him, be prepared to reconsider.  I wonder if he'll tweet about the show.

It's a shame because of his size and the fact that he really can't act, people think he's dumb but the man is a freaking genius 160 IQ and a Chemical Engineer. 

• Love 1
(edited)
23 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Wait, you guys aren't kidding about Dolph Lundgren? LOL. I .....don't even know what audience they are trying to bring in with that stunt casting. 

I don't get it.

20-30 Year Old Males? The same guys that go see The Expendables?

Ugh, I so hoped we were done with flashbacks on this show. I don't need random character flashbacks. Don't care! Don't need flash forwards. Don't care! 

Where did that come from? More stuff from TCAs?  ETA: Just saw your link in the Spoiler Only Episode. 

I don't mind random character related flashbacks in an episode if it's done to drive the character.  I loved the Felicity flashbacks in 305 and while technically not a flashback, i did love seeing Goth Felicity in 411. I also liked Dig's (411) and Sara's flashbacks (205)

It's more the season long parallel flashbacks that I can't stand. Ultimately it would depend on the character and how the flashbacks works in the show. I have no desire to see more Oliver flashbacks or any flashbacks for Malcolm. Not sire if there's any point in a Thea flashback. A Curtis flashback could be interesting, if done right.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

They are such dummies keeping flashbacks on as a narrative device. We've proven time and again how much they suck the life out of this show - episode 420 was the perfect example of how good the show can be without flashbacks - and now they're keeping them on. Ugh. My only hope is they use them sparingly and maybe only a couple of times a season. 

Edited by Guest
56 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

They are such dummies keeping flashbacks on as a narrative device. We've proven time and again how much they suck the life out of this show - episode 420 was the perfect example of how good the show can be without flashbacks - and now they're keeping them on. Ugh. My only hope is they use them sparingly and maybe only a couple of times a season. 

I don't know.. there have been episodes where they were used well, meaning whenever they didn't focus on Oliver. Felicity's flashback episode was a good use of them, so was Diggle. I would love to see a flashback to right after the gambit want down from Thea's point of view. As long as it won't be used one every episode but only like a handful of times in the season it can work well.

• Love 1

First Draco Malfoy on The Flash and now Ivan Drago on Arrow.  Awesome!

I'm so glad we'll be done with the flashbacks this season but they should have been done with them two seasons ago.

13 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

Is he worse than poppy seed girl?

I practically grown watching movies with him, as my father was big time watcher of this kind trash movies, and trust me, he don't talk to much, just fights and growls. Just like all Steven Seagal, Spencer Bud, Van Damme types of movie. As long as he don't speak too long, I think we are ok. Hey, Arrow could got an actor of much worse caliber, like Seagal :) so yeah...

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Angel12d said:

I think everyone assumed they'd end after this season but now we have it confirmed, I guess.

12 hours ago, Angel12d said:

Ugh, the flashbacks are so weird because on one hand they need to end because they're a terribly-written waste of screentime and mess up the narrative. On the other hand, Oliver hasn't learned nearly enough to be the one man killing machine of the pilot. In S1 and S2 he had a pretty clear training and emotional arc with learning shooting, hand to hand combat and survival skills, and becoming more ruthless and willing to kill. But in S3 all he learned was how to torture someone and in S4 he...got a tattoo. (And discovered magic, which only came up in S4 rather than contributing to his overall hero skills). Plus it doesn't feel four years have passed  - the whole #Poppy saga can't have been more than a month or so.

So Oliver does need more development in the past, but the flashbacks are so terrible now that it's not worth it. Give us a handful of montages of past!Oliver training in Russia, learning literally everything he knows in present day and be done with it.

Then again they've made present day Oliver so useless, that him becoming a badass in the flashbacks would be incongrous with current I-need-a-minivan-of-masked-heroes-for-back-up-against-one-man Oliver Queen.

• Love 3

The flashbacks are a lose-lose situation. Fandom will end up frustrated that whatever set of skills Oliver acquires in S5 flashbacks won't be enough to match who he was in the pilot, and I'm sure general audience couldn't care less: they watched the pilot four years ago, it's literally TOO LATE for fb!Oliver going into pilot!Oliver to matter to them.

• Love 11

Flashbacks were amazing to me in the first 2 seasons, i really felt like he went through a personal hell on the island. After that it completely lost all meaning to me. I guess the turning point was when he was a scared boy turned in to a warrior, then the flashbacks became less interesting. For me

^ And yes i am one of those ppl that completely noticed Oliver has no even aqcuired half of the skills yet that he shows in Season 1... Even his Archery isn't near Season 1 lvl yet

• Love 7

As Samuel Pepys wrote, nothing clears the mind like a hanging in the morning, and hopefully the Bratva/Russia flashbacks this season will finally make sense rather than just take up space as last year's flashbacks did.  Was there even a point to them other than to stall waiting for season 5?  They did introduce magic and DD's powers but I think the show would have been stronger without that whole element being there at all.

I think it's a good idea to move the flashbacks to other characters for s6 because hopefully then they will only be used when they makes sense rather than as filler.  I wouldn't even mind fbs for some of the villains if they were well done.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

As Samuel Pepys wrote, nothing clears the mind like a hanging in the morning, and hopefully the Bratva/Russia flashbacks this season will finally make sense rather than just take up space as last year's flashbacks did.  Was there even a point to them other than to stall waiting for season 5?  They did introduce magic and DD's powers but I think the show would have been stronger without that whole element being there at all.

I think it's a good idea to move the flashbacks to other characters for s6 because hopefully then they will only be used when they makes sense rather than as filler.  I wouldn't even mind fbs for some of the villains if they were well done.

One really great example of the use of flashbacks imo was in Agent Carter. They were used sparingly but really helped to flesh out the characters too. I loved the ones that showed us what led to Peggy becoming an agent as well as Dottie and Whitney Frost's early years. They added so much to my appreciation of the villains and made them seem like full fledged characters as opposed to caricatures of bad guys.

Is it too much to hope that MG'll binge his wife show this hiatus and learn a thing or two so FB's next season help rather than hinder the show? 

• Love 5

Stupid question - I'm sorry.  But I don't watch Game of Thrones, so I don't have a reference point for this.  Could someone explain what this means?

We’re doing a lot more ‘first person’ – not necessarily point of view – action.

Does that mean more of that stupid videogame-type action like 407 last year?  Because I hated that.

Also, I'm confused.  WM says Felicity's lost the company.  EBR says she still owns it, even if she's not the CEO.  Which is correct?

2 minutes ago, Belinea said:

I think that is exactly the meaning...

:(

Edited by Starfish35

I'm hoping it means she's just lost her CEO position, meaning that she doesn't have a job any more, not that she's lost her shares in it.

Is the parallel to Diggle supposed to be that they've both hunkered down in what is a safe place for them (the army for Digg, the bunker for Felicity) while they try to deal with their emotions?

And if she's hiding out in the bunker, how did she get a boyfriend?  #MakesNoSense

• Love 3

What is coming up for Oliver and Felicity in Season 5?

In the past, we’ve always tried to write what the actors were showing us on camera, and I would say right now, we left Oliver and Felicity in a very ambiguous place at the end of Season 4. I think it’s going to take a while for them to figure out what that relationship is and how much they want it.

And what’s this about a new boyfriend for Felicity?

I can tell you that we love the character. He is very different than anybody else we’ve seen her with. He’s not Ray Palmer; he is not Oliver Queen, but he is a straight shooter good guy that we’re really hoping the audience likes and pulls for.

http://www.greenarrowtv.com/arrow-ep-wendy-mericle-talks-season-5-anatoly-felicitys-new-bf-huntress-more/

Because unlike people, a physical place will never let you down?

He is very different than anybody else we’ve seen her with

He's gay?

Seriously, if there was ever a no-win situation, it's pushing the audience to like Felicity's new boyfriend.

• Love 7

A guy that she met will being in limbo and that the audience knows nothing about and if it isn't Barry, I guess nobody will care all that much either apart from hating him, there will be nothing else. 

So Felicity is a mess with a new boyfriend who lives for the bunker to make up for Havenrock. So what does good guy do to not notice her constant absence... Isn't this storyline just so boring already?  She cannot live a double life meanwhile Oliver will try to do better and maybe even try to move on...

Edited by Belinea
  • Love 7

If it isn't Barry, it's probably the new cop.

Let me sigh for a hundred years. LOL.

Edited by Guest

How is this not going to make Felicity look like an idiot?  Oliver is out there being mayor and the Green Arrow while she's hiding out in the bunker?  And meanwhile she's got a new boyfriend who is completely different from the charming billionaires and superheroes she dated before but she's traumatized and how is dating her not taking advantage of her?

None of this sounds like anything but bad soap opera.

• Love 12
22 minutes ago, Belinea said:

And what’s this about a new boyfriend for Felicity?

I can tell you that we love the character. He is very different than anybody else we’ve seen her with. He’s not Ray Palmer; he is not Oliver Queen, but he is a straight shooter good guy that we’re really hoping the audience likes and pulls for.

The EPs loved Ray Palmer, said he was perfect for Felicity and thought we would think so too. Yeah, I'm more than a bit skeptical. Season 3 part two, electric boogaloo.

So this sounds like an actual relationship that's going to last a while. Are they really going to put Felicity in the position where she's lying/keeping secrets from someone she's dating? Because I'm sure that will reflect kindly on her. 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 10