Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Triangles bother me when they go on too long and make the main characters act stupid.  I'm not so bothered by this one right now, although I'm with holding judgement till I see  how it works out.  The start of s3 is too soon to put Oliver and Felicity together yet.

“When you have characters who a large portion of the audience are pulling for, the only way those things work is if you actually provide a plausible second option,

I like the idea of a realistic second option for Felicity. She's spent two years being accused of having a crush on Oliver while Oliver gets a stream of good options strewn his way (McKenna, Sara, Helena and Isabel before they went bad).  If she ends up with Oliver, she has to choose him instead of Oliver/Arrow being the default or the best option she can get because she's too good a character for that.  Also, it would be nice to see Oliver working to win her for a change.

“Emily is such a naturally gifted comedian and I think people might not realize this about Brandon, but he is an incredibly gifted comedian. He is like a movie star from a different time—he’s like Jimmy Stewart or Cary Grant. And what’s funny about Oliver and Felicity is that he’s the straight man to her humor and there’s a whole different energy to having Brandon on the show.

The EPs do get grandiose, don't they?  Still, I'd love to see some elements of screwball comedy, Cary Grant and Catherine Hepburn in Bringing up Baby, or The Philadelphia Story.  (Then they can move Oliver and Felicity to The Thin Man.)

Also, I'm hoping that AK and MG fall in love with this version of Oliver/Felicity and give up on Oliver (GA) with Laurel (BC).

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 5

I think that what the EPs are doing is brilliant. They're talking pretty much only about the romance aspect of the show because I'm pretty sure it won't be the spotlight of the season. They're holding back on a lot of other aspects and I think it's because the main villain will be a mystery (I'm pretty sure I've read this somewhere or my mind is playing tricks on me). Why worry about romance when there's another enigma within the show? 

IDK if I articulated my thoughts well. I'm pretty much a mess after the whole Oliver/Felicity spoiler and now I'm wondering since when I became such an avid shipper... 

• Love 4

Triangles don't really bother me all that much but it is almost like Kreisberg is saying "Yes, we know a bunch of you like Oliver and Felicity together, so the only way this can work is if we make it into a triangle!"  Like, WTF that doesn't make any sense.  They seem to believe that they have a good thing going with O/F, so why are they convinced that they need a second option for Felicity?  Their logic is totally messed up.

Yeah I didn't understand that comment either. Its like even though I am aware that they're just using Ray as a foil for Olicity I was surprised that an EP actually admitted it.

And while I'm not a fan of love triangles, I guess I've just accepted them as a CW staple? I think it's lazy writing but it is a sure-fired way to prolong the WILL THEY OR WON'T THEY tension between the two people who you know are gonna get together in the end anyways. 

Also as someone said earlier, I'm tired of hearing about the date now. They've basically revealed MOST of what's gonna happen already. I mean, they could might as well leak the episode at this point. 

• Love 3

Yeah, I'm actually OK with Ray since he is supposed to be a fun outgoing guy and the love triangle/relationship delay was expected since it appears that the end of season 3 could possibly be where the EPs go all in on Olicity.   

I also think that they're doing this because it's easy and they want to focus their efforts elsewhere (like with the villains). So I'm not too upset about it. I mean, this is the CW. I was expecting another triangle. I'm just glad it isn't with Laurel and her love interest :)

I have actually seen speculation that seeing Laurel with her new love interest will be the thing that turns Oliver to Felicity (like he can't have Laurel so he will take Felicity as runner-up).  I'm not sure how that works since Oliver is asking Felicity on a date in the very first episode and we don't even know who Laurel's love interest is or when he's showing up, but whatever.  If the EPs decide to go for two interconnected love triangles with Ray/Felicity/Oliver and Felicity/Oliver/Laurel then yeah, I think I'm out.

• Love 3

Well the trailer gets released today right? 

Yup. And I hope there's something in there regarding the date that we haven't already heard about. Also Stephen did say that the entire trailer is gonna be awesome and I trust Stephen so I'm excited to see it. 

I have actually seen speculation that seeing Laurel with her new love interest will be the thing that turns Oliver to Felicity (like he can't have Laurel so he will take Felicity as runner-up).  I'm not sure how that works since Oliver is asking Felicity on a date in the very first episode and we don't even know who Laurel's love interest is or when he's showing up, but whatever.  If the EPs decide to go for two interconnected love triangles with Ray/Felicity/Oliver and Felicity/Oliver/Laurel then yeah, I think I'm out.

LOL I know who made that comment. Don't listen to theapplefour, that person is pretty crazy and will bend any scene as far as possible in order to make it favorable to Laurel or Lauriver. I hate being mean, but that person is seriously the most unobjective person I've ever seen online. 

• Love 2
They seem hilariously concerned about making sure people know the Olicity date is not a fake out lol. I wasn't watching at the time of the finale because I was taking a break, but I'm assuming the reaction to the ILY fake out must have been some reaction if it's spawned this rush of Olicity reassurances.

Some fans are still understandably wary after the Season 2 finale. I was on Twitter that night and man, emotions were running high, "Oliver and Felicity" was actually trending and then after the revelation about the fake-out, near total silence. Well, except for the cursing. That started, LOL! I guess they just want to make sure that fans know they are taking Oliver and Felicity's relationship seriously, that Oliver does have feelings for Felicity and that despite what some recappers said (was it Natalie Abrams of TV Guide who had a weird interpretation?) Oliver did not sacrifice Felicity or endanger her life to save Laurel.

That Entertainment Weekly interview with AK makes me just a little bit hopeful that this show will handle Olicity carefully. I'm not too averse about having a love triangle, done right it can provide a good mixture of fun, angst and character development. I hope it's not just going to be about Oliver questioning stuff, but Felicity, too.

• Love 6

I honestly feel like Lauriver is pretty much dead at this point (I would argue it was never even truly alive) and Oliver and Laurel work better as friends in any case. Plus since Oliver is supposed to be moving forward with his life this season then I don't know what better way to completely derail that character development than to have him be jealous of Laurel's new love interest. 

I mean I don't put anything past this show and this network, but for the most part I think we can put a fork in Lauriver cause it's DONE. 

• Love 3

I don't actually consider it a "triangle" unless the third point is an actual, long-term contender--like a series regular. I don't get the feeling they intend BR to stick around for three seasons or anything. So I see him as the spoiler or foil in a two-person love story. If there is a triangle here, it would be between O/F/L, and I think it's actually possible we might be past that for good.

I'm optimistic about the season direction with all of these comments.

I'm pretty much convinced the triangle isn't just for Oliver to pull his head out of his behind, but to allow Felicity to see what a relationship outside of Oliver is. The EPs have said it's an arc for both Felicity and Oliver so I'm optimistic there will be some character development. And you know we're seriously jonsing for some Felicity development.

• Love 3

Please let Oliver, Roy or Diggle make a "bigger is better" joke.

Haha, if the... euphemism is anything indicative of Ray Palmer's character, then I have just got a hell of a lot more excited to see him. He and Felicity are going to get on like a house on fire.

Haha, if the... euphemism is anything indicative of Ray Palmer's character, then I have just got a hell of a lot more excited to see him. He and Felicity are going to get on like a house on fire.

Actually, Felicity should make that joke. Even better.

• Love 2

I'm not crazy about love triangles if they're used for unnecessary drama. I do think they can sometimes be useful to help characters grow and come to realizations about what they want, and I now have hope this Ray plot won't be completely useless. I mean, if he's just there to make Oliver jealous, I'll pass. But since IMO Oliver isn't ready for a deep emotional commitment, I'm okay with what the EPs are saying about this so far.

Most of the time love triangles don't bother me that much but I think it's mostly because I rarely approach shows as a shipper. I like couples on shows but it's usually the couple I'm meant to like so I figure it will happen eventually. If they drag it out or make the characters stupid, I get annoyed and sometimes stop watching. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've rejected a main couple right from the pilot but continued to watch for other reasons - Smallville (Clark and Lana because I didn't like Lana and she made Clark stupid), Veronica Mars (Veronica and her ex? What's his name? So boring) and Arrow (Oliver and Laurel.) Funny these were all WB/CW shows since I don't usually watch CW anyway.

I'm not crazy about love triangles if they're used for unnecessary drama. I do think they can sometimes be useful to help characters grow and come to realizations about what they want, and I now have hope this Ray plot won't be completely useless. I mean, if he's just there to make Oliver jealous, I'll pass. But since IMO Oliver isn't ready for a deep emotional commitment, I'm okay with what the EPs are saying about this so far.

Most of the time love triangles don't bother me that much but I think it's mostly because I rarely approach shows as a shipper. I like couples on shows but it's usually the couple I'm meant to like so I figure it will happen eventually. If they drag it out or make the characters stupid, I get annoyed and sometimes stop watching. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've rejected a main couple right from the pilot but continued to watch for other reasons - Smallville (Clark and Lana because I didn't like Lana and she made Clark stupid), Veronica Mars (Veronica and her ex? What's his name? So boring) and Arrow (Oliver and Laurel.) Funny these were all WB/CW shows since I don't usually watch CW anyway.

Donut, he was the worst.

I'll be honest, I started watching Arrow for shipping reasons, since the main thing that got me curious (apart from shirtless gifs of SA, because I'm shallow) were gifs of Oliver and Felicity. I just had to find out what that was about. So the shipping aspect is what drew me into the show, the story is what made me stay. I really like Oliver despite his situational idiocy and jackass tendencies, and I'm invested in his story. I want to see him become a better person. So, I hope that Ray isn't just around to make him jealous, because jealousy isn't a good look on Oliver at all.

Since the decision not to pursue a romantic relationship seems at this point to be mutual, I hope that Ray being around provides Oliver with an opportunity to learn how to be emotionally supportive to Felicity (and the other people in his life), since she's so emotionally supportive of him (even though it will probably be difficult for him), and help him learn how to be a better friend. I hope that Oliver can learn a thing or two from Ray about being a CEO, now that Oliver realizes how important QC is to him, he should be ready to learn.

I know this is pie-in-the-sky hopefulness for a show on The CW, but rivalry doesn't have to be ugly, and if Oliver really loves Felicity, he should want her to be happy. So, he can be supportive while she tries to find her happiness with Ray (and ultimately fails, please, my shippery heart is begging).

• Love 10

AK: "When you have characters who a large portion of the audience are pulling for, the only way those things work is if you actually provide a plausible second option."

As soon as I was done with my happy dance...the Ugly head of doubt came into view. So what exactly does AK mean by this statement?

1. Does he mean that O/F will work only if Felicity has more people,to choose a boyfriend from?

2. Does he mean that O/F can only work if Oliver is jealous of another man in Felicity's life?

3. Does it mean that O/F can only work if Felicity can date another guy and learn that no one's better than Oliver?

3. OR (and this is the one I dread) does he mean to give the "large portion of the audience that is pulling for O/F" the candy in the form of a date/ raw discussion and then fix Felicity up with Palmer and make Oliver go all "oh she's so happy with him, maybe we're not meant to be" And then land straight into the canary wings saying: "Yo Laurel, you BC yet cuz I'm your arrow baby."

So I'm really confused about what this line by AK REALLY means. Because what if right around the time Oliver is giving up on,Felicity cuz she seems happy with Palmer, the EPs decide to insert Laurel and her lover to make the second triangle? What if that is the actual triangle? What if This season is supposed to make Oliver realize that yes he can have a life with someone but that someone is not Felicity cuz you know...she's got Ray? What if they decide to make Ray stay and be Felicity's endgame while Oliver is back to his previous endgame?

What if I'm mad and you guys have better things to do then listen to my paranoid gibberish? I don't think I could bear it.

• Love 2

I think if there's even a hint, a sniff, a fraction of doubt because maybe Oliver wants Laurel, there'll be an uproar. Full stop. Goodbye ship, you drowned yourself like the Titanic.

• Love 4
(edited)

AK: "When you have characters who a large portion of the audience are pulling for, the only way those things work is if you actually provide a plausible second option."

So I'm really confused about what this line by AK REALLY means. Because what if right around the time Oliver is giving up on,Felicity cuz she seems happy with Palmer, the EPs decide to insert Laurel and her lover to make the second triangle? What if that is the actual triangle? What if This season is supposed to make Oliver realize that yes he can have a life with someone but that someone is not Felicity cuz you know...she's got Ray? What if they decide to make Ray stay and be Felicity's endgame while Oliver is back to his previous endgame?

Since he said "the only way those things work" ('those things' = a relationship between the two characters the audience is pulling for), I'm going to take this as a good thing. And he is right. Felicity hasn't really had a viable love interest on the show (I don't think Barry counts, since he has Iris and was the most temporary road block ever), so it'll be good for her to go out and find someone. If Oliver's interested, it'll also be good for him to know that she's not going to wait around and spend all her time in the Arrow cave being dedicated to their mission forever. People tend to dawdle when they think they have all the time in the world.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 3

Donut, he was the worst.

I'll be honest, I started watching Arrow for shipping reasons, since the main thing that got me curious (apart from shirtless gifs of SA, because I'm shallow) were gifs of Oliver and Felicity. I just had to find out what that was about. So the shipping aspect is what drew me into the show, the story is what made me stay. I really like Oliver despite his situational idiocy and jackass tendencies, and I'm invested in his story. I want to see him become a better person. So, I hope that Ray isn't just around to make him jealous, because jealousy isn't a good look on Oliver at all.

Since the decision not to pursue a romantic relationship seems at this point to be mutual, I hope that Ray being around provides Oliver with an opportunity to learn how to be emotionally supportive to Felicity (and the other people in his life), since she's so emotionally supportive of him (even though it will probably be difficult for him), and help him learn how to be a better friend. I hope that Oliver can learn a thing or two from Ray about being a CEO, now that Oliver realizes how important QC is to him, he should be ready to learn.

I know this is pie-in-the-sky hopefulness for a show on The CW, but rivalry doesn't have to be ugly, and if Oliver really loves Felicity, he should want her to be happy. So, he can be supportive while she tries to find her happiness with Ray (and ultimately fails, please, my shippery heart is begging).

Donut? Is that what people called him? Haha, that's great! And fitting. I remember his name now... Duncan. Lol :) I remember watching the first few episodes and wondering if the person who cast him got fired.

I've seen a lot of people say that Oliver/Felicity hooked them into the show. It definitely says a lot about how compelling they are. I loved Felicity right away but never considered Olicity until somewhere near the end of S1. I tend to be slow on these things I guess. I definitely think their dynamic adds something that was previously missing.

I like your vision for S3 and Oliver and how he'll (hopefully) handle all of this. I also hope this means Lauriver really is dead. It should be after Tommy and especially Sara. I'd rather Oliver stayed single than see that again tbh.

• Love 2

@apinknightmare Thanks. Feeling slightly calmer. Actually ever since the EPs said that Laurel n Oliver are like Lois n Clark I gave up hope for Oliver Felicity and now that it seems they actually can happen...I feel as if its too good to be true.

But I'll try to be more optimistic now.

@apinknightmare Thanks. Feeling slightly calmer. Actually ever since the EPs said that Laurel n Oliver are like Lois n Clark I gave up hope for Oliver Felicity and now that it seems they actually can happen...I feel as if its too good to be true.

But I'll try to be more optimistic now.

I like to be a glass half full kind of person. I'm feeling pretty good about it now, but watch the S3 trailer come out and make me want to vomit in my shoes.

Happy thoughts, positive thoughts.

• Love 3
(edited)

While I am a shipper, the couple (or potential couple) usually has to jump out and smack me in the face to get my attention, because it is not usually something I am actively looking for in a show. I like the characters and their interactions, but a romance (or lack thereof) isn't going to be a driving force in my view. I was big into X-Files but at the time I couldn't have cared less if Mulder and Scully got together. Lois and Clark was built around the romance but I was more interested in Supes flying around and fighting bad guys, which he admittedly didn't do that often. Xena changed my view somewhat, but only in so much as I tended to look for interactions between female characters while the main hetero pairing usually coasted right past me. Even today, while I will eagerly cheer on a pairing I like and ignore one I don't, the romance or lack thereof isn't a major factor for me, unless that is in fact the point of the show. IMO it isn't here. Arrow is an action adventure comic book based show, and that is the main reason I watch it. I'd be fine if Oliver and Felicity got together but I also wouldn't quit the show if they never did. Let Oliver and Laurel hook back up (I don't care enough about Laurel to be bothered). Bring on Ray for Felicity and Ted Grant (or whoever) for Laurel. Hell, let Oliver and Malcolm hook up. I'm game. Just so long as they don't try to turn Arrow into a romance series over an action one. If they wanted it to be a romantic drama that should have been what they were making all along.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 2
(edited)

I like to be a glass half full kind of person. I'm feeling pretty good about it now, but watch the S3 trailer come out and make me want to vomit in my shoes.

Happy thoughts, positive thoughts

How I feel about everything will be determined by the trailer as well. The writers' chit-chat is one thing but I've seen instances where they say one thing and then in the episode is a different deal. While the trailer is not exactly the episode, it will help me better gauge my feelings about the stuff we've been hearing. 

And I decided to watch the show the minute I saw Stephen without a shirt on and also I'm a big fan of comic-book based films and shows.

But primarily I came for the abs...

Edited by stormborn
  • Love 3

I doubt S3 will be more of a romance drama than any other season. Given the network it airs on, there's no chance they'll get rid of all romantic angles, but they're probably only pushing 'the date' to get people talking without revealing big plot points. I'm assuming these aren't the biggest details from the season premiere. The romance parts can be fun if they're written well, but I wouldn't expect them to take up more than a few minutes of any given episode.

I don't imagine for a second that Arrow is gonna turn into a romance as the A-plot kind of show, but I do believe the EPs and the media are gonna keep talking about the romance part of it until they're blue in the face because it generates immense buzz for the show, and many many many clicks/views for media.

I do feel, however, that these interviews are pointing to that more intimate stuff Amell talked about at Upfronts: Oliver/Felicity, Diggle and his new family, and Roy getting integrated into the team, it all implies, at least to me, that while the superheroing is what drives the plot, the relationships [all of them] might be what *drive the characters*. Maybe in a "this is why we fight" way, instead of the REVENGE!!! of S1, or the "I'll be a hero because everyone I loved died" of S2.

• Love 4

I can see Laurel being jealous of Felicity, because Laurel seems to be jealous of anyone that's not her. 

This line is truth .... I hope writers embrace it too and do not try too hard to make us like her.

I don't imagine for a second that Arrow is gonna turn into a romance as the A-plot kind of show, but I do believe the EPs and the media are gonna keep talking about the romance part of it until they're blue in the face because it generates immense buzz for the show, and many many many clicks/views for media.

I do feel, however, that these interviews are pointing to that more intimate stuff Amell talked about at Upfronts: Oliver/Felicity, Diggle and his new family, and Roy getting integrated into the team, it all implies, at least to me, that while the superheroing is what drives the plot, the relationships [all of them] might be what *drive the characters*. Maybe in a "this is why we fight" way, instead of the REVENGE!!! of S1, or the "I'll be a hero because everyone I loved died" of S2.

True. I know everything about this date but nothing about the actual show outside of it (and yet, I'm still excited).

that while the superheroing is what drives the plot, the relationships [all of them] might be what *drive the characters*. Maybe in a "this is why we fight" way, instead of the REVENGE!!! of S1, or the "I'll be a hero because everyone I loved died" of S2.

ITA I would actually be really happy if that was the direction they were going. Using inter personal relationships to slow the plot down in those scenes and allow their actors to have fully developed character beats. The zooming through plot is an interesting story technique that gives the actions scenes power but if they don't slow down and let us get good character scenes Arrow is never going to get out from under being a "comic book" show.  This is now the third season we really need well rounded characters that are all developed and I hope your right and that's what SA meant about intimate.

They had a few moments like that at the very end of the season when Roy was reading Thea's note, Felicity and Oliver in the clock tower but just as many missed chances. I hate that we never had a scene where Oliver and Felicity talk about her telling him the truth about Thea's parentage and I hate that we never had a moment where Moira realized she shot Oliver. If they could just do a more consistent job of that I would be thrilled.

• Love 4

Call me a relentless optimist but I read Kriesburg's comments as saying "We don't want Felicity to end up with Oliver just because he's the only available guy, we want Felicity (and the audience) to realise that she does have options, but chooses Oliver ultimately anyway."  Obviously he's not going to say that last bit because that would remove all the tension (although it's increasingly clear that they're going to end up together, I agree that Laurel/Oliver is dead and buried).

• Love 7
(edited)

They couldn't use Ted Kord because there were "already other plans for him".

Berlanti says that they'll deal honestly with Oliver and Felicity's feeling for one another.

Edited by Velocity23