Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread

Morrigan2575
  • Start Topic

I kind of got the impression they were setting up Oliver with Thea and Diggle with Laurel. We know that Oliver and Diggle will be on the outs for a bit and Thea just suited up to be Speedy who is Green Arrow's sidekick, who Black Canary is never supposed to be, so it would make sense if they went Oliver/Thea and Diggle/Laurel.

Diggle deserves better than being lumped with a bad fighter who has an attitude problem.

• Love 9
(edited)

The whole character seems like an attempt to get a Moira-like figure back on the show. Too bad they had to kill her in the first place.

Exactly my thoughts when I read the casting blurb. "We screwed up when we killed Moira, oops! Sowwy, please don't quit our show. The writers".

I don't know what ticked me off more: the mention of her past closeness with Oliver and Thea, meaning that mostly she's there to take Moira's place, or the mention of the daughter, possibly another airtime sucking device. The show's track record for new characters was imo appalling in S3 compared to the others (Donna Smoak was the only good one imo) so I'm quite wary of any new addition.

Unless the daughter is Sin, but I don't think it's possible.

The only love interest I'd like Laurel to have is a bus direction anywhere but Arrow (shocker!) and I've loved Roy and Thea since S1 so I'm about as receptive to the idea of a new love interest for her as I was to the idea of Ray. Maybe even less. I usually don't think that a romantic relationship can prevent a character from evolving or having an interesting storyline (it depends on the writing) but Thea is just back from the dead, possibly traumatized, and starts her vigilante activities so has to find her place in the team. I think she has more than enough on her plate, moreover considering the appalling track record re:Thea Queen and agency, I'd rather for her storyline to be about her only.

But talking about smart moves, I just saw on SpoilerTV that MG said Connor Hawke won't be addressed on the show. It's probably trolling (the person who asked the question said "Conner", maybe Oliver's kid isn't named Connor, maybe it will be addressed on the Flash etc.) but if it were to be true, it would restore a bit of my faith in the show. I hated this storyline, I dreaded the soap-opera drama that was sure to come with it, so if it's dropped, I'll see it as a step in the right direction.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 5
(edited)

There is no way the EPs are going to resist creating scenes of GA and BC fighting side-by-side.  I bet that there will probably be a copy of the Oliver/Sara switching weapons scene as well.

Edited by tv echo

I think they were planning on Surprise Kid! being Connor, and Baby Mama being Sandra. But then Guggenheim got himself a Tumblr, and got told over and over that his show whitewashes A LOT of characters of color, and this time, he can change that before it's a done deal. And it's not like it's out of character for pre-island Oliver to have one or seventeen surprise kids hanging around.

• Love 7

Of course they will copy the weapon switch scene. Laurel has to copy everything Sara did, that's how she becomes her own her hero, taking everything from the one that came before. Pairing her up with Nyssa was just another blow to my list of things to not like about the Laurel character. Let's introduce a LGBT couple, kill one of them off and let the remaining one have more scenes with the hetero sister than she had with her girlfriend. 

• Love 4

I think they were planning on Surprise Kid! being Connor, and Baby Mama being Sandra. But then Guggenheim got himself a Tumblr, and got told over and over that his show whitewashes A LOT of characters of color, and this time, he can change that before it's a done deal. And it's not like it's out of character for pre-island Oliver to have one or seventeen surprise kids hanging around.

This could very well be the case, but didn't that episode air before MG got a Tumblr? They purposely never gave the mother a name, probably to keep their options open. I'd like to think the change came from him listening to complaints about whitewashing, but it seems to me that they always wanted to be able to change the identity of the kid.

• Love 1

There is no way the EPs are going to resist creating scenes of GA and BC fighting side-by-side.  I bet that there will probably be a copy of the Oliver/Sara switching weapons scene as well.

That would really, really, really piss me off. That was a fantastic scene, that showed in a few seconds that both characters are even more badass, because being expert with multiple weapons is quite a step up from being an expert with only one.  Laurel is NOT an expert with any weapon.

God I wish they would just drop the character.  She is just unfixable at this point.

• Love 6

I think the most likely scenario is that Oliver's kid isn't named Connor Hawke. After planting baby mama over on The Flash, I think it's too much to hope that they've decided to drop the storyline all together.

IDK, When they brought it up on Arrow ("Seeing Red") that was all about Moira and the lengths she'd go to for her children, etc. The point wasn't really Oliver and the baby mama. They were used as exposition for Moira (and further show how he'd screwed around on Laurel). Because the baby mama left with the money for Central City, there's a possibility the appearance/reference to the kid on Flash was just an Easter Egg as they don't intend on addressing it again on Arrow.  Personally, I hope they don't do it...the soapy drama they already do on Arrow is enough. Also, I'm not interested in all the Lauriver rehashing we'd have to suffer through as a result of the kid's existence being addressed on Arrow. Just no.

• Love 3

IDK, When they brought it up on Arrow ("Seeing Red") that was all about Moira and the lengths she'd go to for her children, etc. The point wasn't really Oliver and the baby mama. They were used as exposition for Moira (and further show how he'd screwed around on Laurel). Because the baby mama left with the money for Central City, there's a possibility the appearance/reference to the kid on Flash was just an Easter Egg as they don't intend on addressing it again on Arrow.  Personally, I hope they don't do it...the soapy drama they already do on Arrow is enough. Also, I'm not interested in all the Lauriver rehashing we'd have to suffer through as a result of the kid's existence being addressed on Arrow. Just no.

Seeing Red was definitely about Moira, but I did find it weird that Moira never mentioned her name when they first met, nor during the entire time they were sitting there talking each other, and when Oliver met her in Central City, he didn't mention her name even though she mentioned his. Hasn't MG said all along that the kid was coming back into play? And SA did as well, didn't he? I mean, I really hope they decided to drop it, but it seems ridiculous to remind the audience of a plot point they never intend to visit again or flesh out.

but I did find it weird that Moira never mentioned her name when they first met, nor during the entire time they were sitting there talking each other,

If Moira mentioned her name, that may have given it a reality. Moira was set on paying her off and never thinking of her again. 

(edited)

If Moira mentioned her name, that may have given it a reality. Moira was set on paying her off and never thinking of her again. 

But Moira had a dossier with the woman's name on it. She had written a check out to her, I'm assuming by using her name. I don't think saying her name in the moment, even if it was a "Ms. (surname)" would've made any difference since she was already paying this woman off to get her first grandchild out of her life. Moira's never shied away from the harsh reality of the terrible things she's done. It just seems to me that given we've seen Oliver's kid's mother in this universe twice with no one mentioning her name, that there's a reason for that. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1

This could very well be the case, but didn't that episode air before MG got a Tumblr? They purposely never gave the mother a name, probably to keep their options open. I'd like to think the change came from him listening to complaints about whitewashing, but it seems to me that they always wanted to be able to change the identity of the kid.

I think this was the same thing as what they did with Ra's and Nanda Parbat. In S1 Malcolm obliquely referenced both without actually saying the words. It's teasing the comic book crowd who ~knows what the show is implying, but leaving it open in case it falls through, or they decide to go another route. Perhaps even while they negotiate with DC Comics for the rights to use the actual characters/places.

They did this with Ted Kord too, now that I think about it, only even more blatantly, and then it turned out they lost him, and we got Crazy Eyed Robot.

• Love 6

It's teasing the comic book crowd who ~knows what the show is implying, but leaving it open in case it falls through, or they decide to go another route. Perhaps even while they negotiate with DC Comics for the rights to use the actual characters/places.

Right, that was my initial point. I definitely think they didn't give her a name—both times she showed up—because they wanted to keep their options open. 

• Love 1

Yeah, but the point I guess was that their intention was that they WERE teasing Connor and Sandra for the comic book crowd, but to let that simmer for a season or two, like they did with Ra's. And then the Social Justice Warriors stole Guggie's thunder.

(edited)

Yeah, but the point I guess was that their intention was that they WERE teasing Connor and Sandra for the comic book crowd, but to let that simmer for a season or two, like they did with Ra's. And then the Social Justice Warriors stole Guggie's thunder.

They were vaguely teasing Ra's and the LoA in a storyline where they were outliers that they hoped to bring in to a main storyline in the future, so I get why they would've teased that. But they brought this woman into the story in Seeing Red and obviously had the intent of following up on it then (IIRC, they said as much), so I don't understand why they wouldn't have locked her name up instead of just teasing comics fans with a nameless woman that everyone would assume was Sandra Hawke anyway. That, to me, is why it seems like they left her nameless to keep their options open - so there weren't any concrete expectations about her or her kid. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2

Diggle deserves better than being lumped with a bad fighter who has an attitude problem.

Truth be told, we all deserve better than that. Sucks that TPTB keep shoving her down our throat though...because COMICS.

• Love 3

I was hopeful that they dropped the Baby Mama storyline after some complaints this season, but I'm convinced there will be something happening. What it is I don't know, I tend to lean towards apinknightmare that its not going to be who many think it is. I have very limited knowledge about comics and frankly I truly don't care that much. I'm just hoping it doesn't bring relationship angst (unless it continues to highlight the ew-ness of the Oliver and Laurel interaction because that is at least consistent). 

Speaking of Oliver and Laurel fighting buddies, I'm thinking that is going to be 80% of their interaction. One thing that remains true thru the seasons, is that Oliver and Laurel are not likeable around each other. From what I saw of the response in S3, people were wondering why Laurel was still a question mark with the Team but no one seemed to be asking for more scenes between the two characters (expect those who ship them). But really it's hard to figure out what they are doing with Laurel, they tend to veer right when it makes sense to go left.

Speaking of those that ship Oliver and Laurel, I was looking through the notes on one of MG tumblr asks and I read a conversation between a few Laurel fans and Oliver and Laurel shippers. It's interesting for sure. One said that Laurel was being used to prop Felicity and then a couple went off on how awful Oliver Queen is as a character and how horrible he is to everyone esp Laurel. The bio for the tumblrs are like Laurel-Fan and hardcore Oliver/Laurel shipper. ??? This is why the fanservice arguement holds no water and you can't figure out 100% where a show is going to go. Making sense of all these opinions out there to come to any type of majority.

• Love 4
(edited)

They were vaguely teasing Ra's and the LoA in a storyline where they were outliers that they hoped to bring in to a main storyline in the future, so I get why they would've teased that. But they brought this woman into the story in Seeing Red and obviously had the intent of following up on it then (IIRC, they said as much), so I don't understand why they wouldn't have locked her name up instead of just teasing comics fans with a nameless woman that everyone would assume was Sandra Hawke anyway. That, to me, is why it seems like they left her nameless to keep their options open - so there weren't any concrete expectations about her or her kid. 

But there was an interview with Susanna Thompson in which she called the baby mama "Sandra", that's what makes me think the intention was there. Here: http://www.tvfanatic.com/2014/04/arrow-exclusive-susanna-thompson-speaks-on-starling-city-shocker/

[HI HI HI, KRYCEK.]

Or maybe ST reads the comics, haha.

Edited by dancingnancy

But there was an interview with Susanna Thompson in which she called the baby mama "Sandra", that's what makes me think the intention was there. Here: http://www.tvfanatic.com/2014/04/arrow-exclusive-susanna-thompson-speaks-on-starling-city-shocker/

[HI HI HI, KRYCEK.]

Oh, I didn't know about this. Maybe they did change their mind. Although a part of me doubts that outrage over whitewashing would be enough to make these guys deviate if they really had a plan for who it was supposed to be. So maybe the kid was always just going to be some kid whose name ultimately doesn't outside of a nod to comics canon. 

Was her name on the check? Could've been blank.

What does that matter? Moira had a private investigator write up a dossier on the girl. She knew what her name was, even if she did hand over a blank check (although why she would, I have no idea).

• Love 1
(edited)

[HI HI HI, KRYCEK.]

Since that episode aired, people have asked MG and SA questions about the love child by calling "him" Connor and MG/SA have responded without even noting that that might not be "his" name, so I do think it was at least an option that the kid was going to be Connor, at some point. But I don't think that negates @apinknightmare's point that they were keeping their options open by not naming the mother/the kid on the show.

They might not have known for sure that they'd be able to use Connor Hawke on Arrow, or whether they definitely wanted to go that route, so why not leave it open until such time as you have to make it official?

Personally, my best case scenario is that they never, ever address the love child. That's not going to happen, so my second-best case is that the kid isn't Connor--I'm thrilled that he/she is not, to be honest, because I've had enough of "canon" dictating the story on this show, and I'm thrilled not to have to swallow another instance of the show screwing up when it comes to POC/women/LGBT people, etc. I hope the kid is a girl. I hope she's cute and funny and normal and that we almost never see her on the show. :)

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 3
(edited)

I mean, on one hand, I don't see what the point of bringing the kid in is if it isn't a nod to canon, and if it's a nod to canon then why not name him (or her) Connor? Seems to me they should've locked up the mother's name from the get-go and gotten permission from DC to use her before they even introduced her, especially since this never seemed like some random plot point that was never going to be picked up again. So if she was ever intended to be Sandra, they should've just outright named her. Then again, they are horrible planners, so I suppose that plays a part. 

On the other hand, if they just wanted a baby story for playboy Oliver without having to bring a kid onto the show, having the mother and kid being some randos in Central City would be the way to do it. Plus, it's a tie in to get Oliver over on The Flash.

I just have a hard time believing that these show runners in particular could be swayed from their original plan because of a race issue, especially when they just whitewashed the White Canary, haha. But maybe they were swayed. That would be a nice change. 

Edited by apinknightmare

I think they intentionally are leaving their options open by leaving her nameless until story is fully fleshed out and they have permission from DC if they choose to go the Sandra route. Giving her a name either keeps them beholden to canon or their own choices from years ago that may no longer apply.

I think they have been burnt by using comic based names many times this series. Perhaps they have finally learned their lesson. Dropping breadcrumbs is fine, but I think they are done dropping loaves.

(edited)

It's also possible MG is telling the truth in that we won't see Connor because DC pulled the plug on it. So they are either going to step back and wait for permission or take advantage of the fact they haven't named charaters on screen yet.

If the rug got pulled out from under them I would prefer they dump the story altogether instead of trying to make something else fit in it's place.

.............. Though is might be kinda fun to watch comic canon fans lose it over Oliver's daughter Martha or son Bob.

Edited by 10Eleven12
(edited)

You know, it could be that MG is lying when he said there's no Sandra or Connor this season. He lied about Laurel getting the Canary Cry. And he also could be acting sneaky as hell and Connor will turn up in S5 and he'll be all like "I told you we weren't going to address them in S4."

Edited by Guest

I'd rather Diggle be out there in the field with an inexperienced fighter who actually wants to try to help innocent people and is willing to train than mostly sitting back at the base with someone who would sacrifice thousands of innocents for one person. Because Diggle was back at the base with Felicity more often when it was just the two of them with Oliver.

I can't really remember the question, but I kind of recall him being asked if she was getting the "real" comics cry.

That is what I was thinking. I didn't word my question very well. In which case it's not a lie because the canary cry is not the "real" comics cry. It is an electronic device activated by throat spasms I guess. LOL!

(edited)

I'd rather Diggle be out there in the field with an inexperienced fighter who actually wants to try to help innocent people and is willing to train than mostly sitting back at the base with someone who would sacrifice thousands of innocents for one person. Because Diggle was back at the base with Felicity more often when it was just the two of them with Oliver.

I think you are right about Diggle being in the lair when it was just Oliver or Oliver/Roy. He did provide backup from time to time. Most of the complaints are about Diggle being in the lair when it was Roy/Laurel because of experience. That said, Felicity had a HUMAN moment when she put Oliver 1st. Oliver probably would have done the same but she did what they do all the time and FOUND ANOTHER WAY.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Love 7

I find it funny that people harped on Felicity for the "It's Oliver!" moment. The set-up is classic. When someone says "What would so-and-so do in this situation?" The next shot is generally what so-and-so would do that situation. The shows implication? Oliver would save Felicity.

• Love 5

Did he lie about her getting the canary cry or getting the "real" canary cry as a meta-human?

I can't remember what he said exactly but he said no to repeated questions about the canary cry so IMO, that's being economical with the truth tbh, regardless of whether the cry was meta-human or not. She still ended up with it. That's why I take whatever MG says with a pinch of salt!

I find it funny that people harped on Felicity for the "It's Oliver!" moment. The set-up is classic. When someone says "What would so-and-so do in this situation?" The next shot is generally what so-and-so would do that situation. The shows implication? Oliver would save Felicity.

Oliver risked the entire city to save Thea's life.  He has EXTREMELY strong connections to specific people.  I 100% agree with you...he wouldn't even hesitate to put strangers' lives in danger to save Felicity.  He'd try to find a way to save everyone, just like Felicity did, but if he had absolutely no choice he'd save Felicity.  He'd manpain and brood about it forever after, but he'd do it without hesitation.

• Love 8
(edited)

Classic case of why I will never like Laurel or her some of her fans. You guys can say Laurel found another way somehow to "save" someone but, with Felicity it's "she's costing thousands of people's lives." Let's forget the fact that in each finale she was a huge part of saving thousands of lives. With the earthquake machine, with Slade and with Ra's. Let's just forget she helped save Lyla, saved Oliver from the fall to death scenario. Let's forget she saved people in TSOoFS and countless other things. This is why some Laurel fans have such a bad reputation.

Laurel put her co-worker's lives in danger going back to CNRI in season 1 when people told her to stay out. Let's not get into what Laurel has done for selfish reasons.

Edited by olicityfan25
  • Love 9
(edited)

Riiight, that's all Felicity did in the finale, sit at the base letting everyone die except for Oliver. It's not like she the one that figured out how to find the virus carriers or even help Ray with how to disseminate the antidote.

Do Felicity haters ever get tired of this talking point? Because I'm tired of debunking it. It's not like she unplugged the computers and forced Ray to stop what he was doing to save Oliver, for crying out lout.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 5

It's my favorite argument against Felicity, because it says more about the people criticizing her than it does about her. I mean, Felicity's selfish and/or a terrible person for having a brief panic about wanting to save the man she loves over a city's population worth of strangers? Like, they'd just leave a loved one there to die? Godspeed to those people's family members/spouses, lmao. Ya'll are on notice!

• Love 12

Riiight, that's all Felicity did in the finale, sit at the base letting everyone die except for Oliver. It's not like she the one that figured out how to find the virus carriers or even help Ray with how to disseminate the antidote.

Do Felicity haters ever get tired of this talking point? Because I'm tired of debunking it. It's not like she unplugged the computers and forced Ray to stop what he was doing to save Oliver, for crying out lout.

It's not surprising anymore. I mean some of them like a character that stole her sister's entire life. It's not like Laurel is "fighting" crime because she wants to save people or make Starling City a better place. She's "fighting" them because it makes her feel better. At least Felicity knows her limitations. We're supposed to believe that Laurel is some badass so fast that she can't take down a common thug but, can last 2 minutes in a LoA fight.

When did we get news on MN's casting? I want to now who is up for DD. And if Sebastian Rouche is up for a role on the show. I'm pretty sure the guy has tenure at CW, let's put it to good use.

• Love 1
(edited)

He was cast after SDCC. They announced Ras at SDCC and used BamBam to film the teaser (should have just used him for the actual roll).

As for Matt Nable I believe he was announced when they were filming 304 so end of July or early August?

ETA: Just looked it was September 4th

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

When did we get news on MN's casting? I want to now who is up for DD. And if Sebastian Rouche is up for a role on the show. I'm pretty sure the guy has tenure at CW, let's put it to good use.

I'm really curious who they'll cast for DD, but also for Felicity's father. Sebastian Roché keeps tweeting things about Arrow, not sure if he already got something and is just messing with Arrow fans or if he wants to be cast.

I really do not like that Sebastian Roché guy at all. I have not seen him in anything (never watched Supernatural) but when people were tossing his name around, I checked his Twitter. He posts shirtless selfies FFS and that too at his age. I mean we already suffer through Katie Cassidy posting her gym photos, we really do not need another narcissist on the cast posting mirror selfies all the time.

I don't know anything about Sebastian Roché as a personality/celebrity nor do I really care. The guy is a very good actor. He plays villains and good/anti-heroes quite well. He can do comedy and drama, he would be good as DD and/or Felicity's. Frankly SR, Mark Sheppard and David Anders are a coup for any show. However right now SR is the only one available (unless something happened on iZombie's finale)

• Love 11

Exactly how i feel, i have no interest on SR personal life and selfies, if he is indeed going to be cast for Arrow all i want is good performances from him, and i know he's a very decent actor i remember him from SPN very well.

If they go with SR for FS father, i would like to see Oded Fehr being cast for DD, still think it's a shame he wasn't cast for Ra's.

Hopes and dreams i guess, it's that time of the year