Type keyword(s) to search

NFL Thread

• Start Topic

As much as I wasn't impressed, I also didn't think I was going through hell on Earth.  If you put aside the character, I think he added to the broadcast.  Gave pretty decent analysis & was professional.

Nothing impressive, and something several can do...and what Greg did over the past couple of years.  As mentioned, he didn't sound like he belonged, but I'm not losing sleep over it.  If things don't work out, then FOX will move on.  FWIW, it wasn't all over the place like CBS had when Romo replaced Simms

• Like 2

Honestly I didn’t pay attention to the Dallas game. After the Panthers epic failure me and my dad started planning a next summer vacation. That’s how bad the loss was. The one time I did look at the screen Brady was going for a dab from the other announcer and he totally left him hangin’. 

• Like 1
(edited)

I said to hubby, a Squealers fan, before the Bungles scored their first (only) TD, that wouldn't it be funny if everyone in the AFC North lost except the team believed to be the weakest?  LOL 

God I hate the Haslams for screwing over the fans and now tieing the Browns with that stupid contract.

At least Baker showed up for his team.

Edited by roamyn
  • Like 3

I don’t like the Bucs (I can still smell the Brady stench) but I can’t help rooting for Baker to do well. He got hosed by a team that he was loyal to. 

• Like 7
10 hours ago, twoods said:

I’m still scratching my head. Who thought it was okay to give that much guaranteed money to a QB with that much baggage who isn’t very good?

At the time of the contract -- two years ago -- he was that good.   I hate saying it, but he was a great QB in Houston.  The problem is, he got suspended for a year and then hurt.  So he hasn't really played in 2 years and has regressed.   Of course the team didn't care he was looking at a long suspension when they gave him all that guaranteed money so its still a huge mistake.   

Looks like his teammates hate him too.   they aren't going to go out of there to make an effort to make a harder catch like they might with a qb they respect.  

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Fukui San said:

Was Brady that bad?

No, but he wasn’t good either.  He didn’t spend his break from football studying communications, that’s for sure.

• LOL 2

God I hate the Haslams for screwing over the fans and now tieing the Browns with that stupid contract.

At least Baker showed up for his team.

I don’t like the Bucs (I can still smell the Brady stench) but I can’t help rooting for Baker to do well. He got hosed by a team that he was loyal to. 

And he also won the Browns a playoff game. Something before that win they haven't done in forever, especially on the road.

• Like 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, roamyn said:

Before they got Watson I only hated the Browns when the Steelers played them.  I didn't have any animosity towards them the way I did/do with Baltimore and to a lesser extent Cincy.  But now my outright disgust with Watson makes me actively root for him and therefore the Browns to lose. I do feel bad for Browns fans though.  

6 hours ago, twoods said:

Same.  Glad to see him doing well.

24 minutes ago, Magog said:

And he also won the Browns a playoff game. Something before that win they haven't done in forever, especially on the road.

I still have emotional trauma from watching that game. Well the first quarter. It was so bad I had to turn it off.  But yes Baker won that game.  Going to the Bucs was the best thing for him.

I have two coworkers, one a Browns fan and the other a Cowboys fan.  I walked in my office this morning and said OK are the Browns that bad or are the Cowboys that good.

Edited by bluegirl147
2 hours ago, merylinkid said:

At the time of the contract -- two years ago -- he was that good.   I hate saying it, but he was a great QB in Houston.  The problem is, he got suspended for a year and then hurt.  So he hasn't really played in 2 years and has regressed.   Of course the team didn't care he was looking at a long suspension when they gave him all that guaranteed money so its still a huge mistake.   

Looks like his teammates hate him too.   they aren't going to go out of there to make an effort to make a harder catch like they might with a qb they respect.  

Wonder why his teammates hate him so much. I saw at the end of the game he was trying to help up a teammate but the player ignored him and got up himself. Has to be a tense locker room. 

11 minutes ago, twoods said:

Wonder why his teammates hate him so much. I saw at the end of the game he was trying to help up a teammate but the player ignored him and got up himself. Has to be a tense locker room. 

I don't know either, except there are lots of stories out there that make it seem like DeShaun is a 'me first' kind of guy.  The fact that he didn't play a single down in the preseason probably didn't endear him to his team mates either.  There's a lot of coordination required to get an offense to run smoothly and to get there, they need to work as a group.  DeShaun hadn't played in many months and his timing is clearly way off.  Maybe if he'd gotten into the game and took a few preseason snaps, they'd be further along now.  I expect his team mates think so, too.

We don't actually know whose decision it was that Watson sit out the entire preseason; but we do know that DeShaun certainly didn't object to it, at least publicly.

• Useful 2
1 minute ago, Notabug said:

I don't know either, except there are lots of stories out there that make it seem like DeShaun is a 'me first' kind of guy. 

Am I remembering correctly that when Cleveland played the Rams last year Watson was sitting in the stands with his wife?girlfriend? ?  That doesn't seem like a team player to me.

1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

Am I remembering correctly that when Cleveland played the Rams last year Watson was sitting in the stands with his wife?girlfriend? ?  That doesn't seem like a team player to me.

Yes, he was in a private suite with his girlfriend, courtesy of the Browns who claimed he was at a critical point in his recovery from shoulder surgery and being on the sidelines was too risky so they got the loge for him. I don't recall him spending much if any time on the sidelines after his injury.  A lot of fans noted the contrast with Joe Burrow who was all over the Bengals' sidelines when he was injured.

• Useful 1

To be fair, there are several things I can differentiate when it comes to DeShaun Watson and Joe Burrow, including the fact that one's first name starts with a W and the other ends with a W.

To be fair the other way around: They both cashed on the collegiate level within a season by beating Alabama.  That's all I have in terms of similarities.

3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

OK are the Browns that bad or are the Cowboys that good.

Neither.   The Browns were bad this game but the first game is a little rough for a lot of teams.   The Cowboys are good, last year though they hung 40 on the giants in the opener.   You saw where it ended.   Cowboys are good enough to get into the playoffs regularly.   But for some reason, I cannot quite put my finger on (cough Jerry Jones cough) they never get further.    The Browns will not have the first pick in the draft as long as the Panthers keep playing the way they did.  Probably picking in the top 10, but not the top 5.   Watson isn't a bad QB.   He's just not as good as he once was and his receivers aren't going to put themselves out to make him look better.

• Like 4
34 minutes ago, Carey said:

Probably not yet.  I think after this year, the financial burden Cleveland chose to put themselves in will be done away with.

2025 and 2026 his contract is $72 million on the cap.  So unless this lawsuit goes somewhere they are stuck with him.

• Useful 3

I don't understand why they needed to CHANGE the damn kickoff to be honest.  There are an infinite number of things the league could've done to stay modern.  While it's here to stay for 2024, I guess I can have the optimism they'll change it back to what they were doing in 2010 and before.

• Like 3

Kadarius Toney signs one year deal with Browns.

WHY?!!!!!  🤯🤯🤢🤢

I think I'd rather go back to wearing a-bag-over-my-head days.  We really are the laughing stock of the league.

Meh.  You'll be fine.  Cleveland swept all of the awards a season ago.  They got all the gold so they say.  Can't go lower than Sunday against Dallas

Meh.  You'll be fine.  Cleveland swept all of the awards a season ago.  They got all the gold so they say.  Can't go lower than Sunday against Dallas

They had an 0-16 season in 2017. It can't get any lower than that. Though very sadly, 0-17 is next to impossible to accomplish.

As for tonight's game, 49ers 32 - Jets 19. The first of hopefully a lot more losses & agony for Aaron Rodgers & the Jets this season

• Like 4

I've often wondered what life on Planet Earth would be like if Oscar the Grouch showed up on television outside of a damn trash can. 

Anyway at least the family will have some support back home for their game one week from Sunday.

On 9/9/2024 at 8:14 PM, Magog said:

As for tonight's game, 49ers 32 - Jets 19. The first of hopefully a lot more losses & agony for Aaron Rodgers & the Jets this season

It was a scoregami!  A score that has never occurred before in an NFL game.

• Mind Blown 2
20 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

He's concussed. Took them all of six minutes for the diagnosis.

I figured based on the odd hand and arm movements after he went down, but I didn't want to armchair diagnose. He needs to retire, it's not fun to watch him play anymore, it's too stressful. 

Edited by emma675
  • Like 7
3 hours ago, emma675 said:

I figured based on the odd hand and arm movements after he went down, but I didn't want to armchair diagnose. He needs to retire, it's not fun to watch him play anymore, it's too stressful. 

Can you imagine how his wife & kids feel?  His children are toddlers.  He needs to retire to be there for them.  No amount of fame, career, or money is worth it.

• Like 4

I still felt really sorry for him. He needs to do something else, as this keeps happening. Luckily this one didn't seem like he got hit that hard? But maybe it was the angle that he was. He needed to slide, then when Hamlin tackled him, he wouldn't have moved his head weird.

• Like 1

We all thought it was Tua’s hips that were going to be holding him back.

He seems like a lovely man, but football is not for him.  It was not for him the last time he was nearly seizing on the field (she says, knowing that the player who tackled him yesterday actually did die on the field, yet is also still playing).

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 4
6 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I wonder how much of his new contract was guaranteed? 

$167 milliion in the event of injury.   He needs to retire.   He's not going to learn to slide.   Even if he does, it was that hard of a hit.   You could tell Hamlin was trying really hard to not make it hard.    Tua is just prone to concussions for some reason.   That is not going to change if its biological.   

His kids are little, if he wants to remember them, he needs to retire.   If he wants to see them grow up, he needs to retire.  

• Like 8

To be honest, I didn't even know he got injured.  Even though I tuned out of the game with Buffalo's rout a done deal, I still had it on.  Though despite the TV being on mute, I don't know how I missed it.

I found out reading about it; I thought it was a joke at first (can't remember this minute where I saw it), going to ESPN dot com, it was mentioned there.  I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see a happy ending for Tua, no thanks to that contract, and the fact that the owner is who he is

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

Tua is just prone to concussions for some reason.   That is not going to change if its biological.   

Maybe someone smarter than me knows this.  Once someone has a concussion does it make it more likely if he is hit that he will get another concussion? Did he have concussions in college?

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

You could tell Hamlin was trying really hard to not make it hard. 

I remember before Hamlin came back to play after this injury the fear was he would be afraid to hit or be hit.

Edited by bluegirl147
51 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

Did he have concussions in college?

He had a serious hip injury that ended his college career.  It's reported that he had one concussion in college (I don't remember that one, but he had several injuries over the years) so it's hard to keep track!  

We love Tua, and I hope that he'll seriously consider retiring now.  This is just too dangerous for him.  

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Carey said:

To be honest, I didn't even know he got injured. 

That's the bad thing for Tua - it's not like Hamlin blind sided him at full speed, slammed him into the ground, etc.  It looked like a pretty standard play, but Tua inexplicably lowered his head and slammed head first into the guy.

• Like 5
On 9/9/2024 at 8:24 PM, mojoween said:

I don’t understand why touchbacks now come out to the 30.  What was the purpose of shortening the field even more?  They should have changed them back to the 20.

It would make more sense of it was the 20 not 30

If you want more action and kickoff returns moving the touchback further back doesn't make sense.  

3 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

Maybe someone smarter than me knows this.  Once someone has a concussion does it make it more likely if he is hit that he will get another concussion? Did he have concussions in college?

I remember before Hamlin came back to play after this injury the fear was he would be afraid to hit or be hit.

Yes there is a higher risk for concussions with a prior head injury

He should retire.  And he should have slid not dove.  

New qb, same old bears.  It's one game but for a generational prospect who was asking for a share of the team on a rookie contract, was not impressive. 

3 hours ago, baldryanr said:

It looked like a pretty standard play, but Tua inexplicably lowered his head and slammed head first into the guy.

Some of the sports analysts were saying that just looking at the hit, it wouldn't normally be an issue for most guys.  IIRC, Tua had a special helmet made with extra padding, but even that isn't enough to keep him safe.  

I wonder what the Dolphins are going to do now.  I'm not confident in their backup QB.  I wonder if they can find someone to step in for the rest of the season.

Aside from all of that, the Bills looked pretty good last night.  I'm not blaming Damar, at all, but I wonder how that affected him seeing Tua go down and then seeing his hands freeze up like they did.  That might've been a bit triggering for him.  I hope he's doing okay after experiencing that.  

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

As upsetting as it was to watch Tua, I felt uncomfortable watching Damar as well.  I think they both should retire and pursue other interests.  

This might sound ridiculous, but I'm wondering if Damar is wearing something under his jersey, say, like a shock absorber type of padding, to help with those tackles he makes.   Why would he chance another incident in this violent sport? I also wonder if there's a certain hesitancy in how he plays since his cardiac arrest. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Chit Chat said:

Some of the sports analysts were saying that just looking at the hit, it wouldn't normally be an issue for most guys.  IIRC, Tua had a special helmet made with extra padding, but even that isn't enough to keep him safe.  

I wonder what the Dolphins are going to do now.  I'm not confident in their backup QB.  I wonder if they can find someone to step in for the rest of the season.

Aside from all of that, the Bills looked pretty good last night.  I'm not blaming Damar, at all, but I wonder how that affected him seeing Tua go down and then seeing his hands freeze up like they did.  That might've been a bit triggering for him.  I hope he's doing okay after experiencing that.  

Sigh....I hope it's not true....

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/former-nfl-qb-predicts-tom-brady-will-sign-with-dolphins-after-tua-tagovailoa-goes-down-with-concussion/

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Angry 1
2 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Sigh....I hope it's not true....

I seriously doubt that's true (but I tend to be wrong about these matters!).  He's under contract with his announcing gig, and it would probably be difficult for him to get back into QB-ready shape that quickly (not that he's out of shape per se, but he's not football ready, IMO.)  

The media just needs something to stir up, so this is their go-to story. 

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Chit Chat said:

I seriously doubt that's true (but I tend to be wrong about these matters!).  He's under contract with his announcing gig, and it would probably be difficult for him to get back into QB-ready shape that quickly (not that he's out of shape per se, but he's not football ready, IMO.)  

The media just needs something to stir up, so this is their go-to story. 

Several stories of it plus rumors he's been staying at least close to playing shape. 

Plus he's arrogant enough to think he can still do it. 

I'd bet he worked this into his announcing contract in case it came up

• Useful 1