Type keyword(s) to search

S21: Andy Grammer: Keeping His Head Up

• Start Topic

ANDY GRAMMER With his 2011 self-titled debut album, pop singer Andy Grammer became the first male pop star in a decade to reach the Top 10 at Adult Pop Radio on his first two singles, "Keep Your Head Up" and "Fine By Me," certified platinum and gold respectively. Andy's second album, 2014's critically acclaimed Magazines or Novels, continues his disarming success with his huge hit "Honey, I'm Good." PRO DANCE PARTNER: ALLISON HOLKER

promoted-media-optimized_545e5f540c7d0.j

I thought Andy looked pretty good doing the nae nae ...to the extend anyone can look "good" doing that ridiculous dance LOL!

But beyond the actual moves, he has a very relaxed body movement/groove-type of movement. I'm not describing this very well, but he wasn't all rigid or awkward like many of the others doing the nae nae (including a few of the pros, I might add). He looked very trainable to me.  A friend of mine is a huge fan of his and introduced me to his music.  It's good, IMO, nothing I would actively seek out, but I certainly wouldn't turn the dial when his music comes on.  I saw him on The View once and he knows how to work the audience. I see on his website he's got 2 tour dates remaining (9/6 and 9/18) so at least he won't be constantly traveling which is good.   I'd guess he's a contender to at least semi-finals.

I love Andy's dad.  That is all.

And who would that be?

Haha. Andy's dad is Red Grammer, a singer of childrens' songs, along the lines of Raffi.  My kids were fans of his music videos.  We watched him every.single.day.  A very nice man.  You can find him on youtube.

Edited by Thadeeeyus

I think Allison is going to be the bigger question mark.  Andy does seem very trainable and I've heard he's a nice and personable guy, but I don't know if Allison knows how to work with someone with no dance experience.  Jonathan was never going to be good and Riker, as much as I liked him, picked things up very quickly and had some training.  I know Peta in her original statement claimed she was going to try and help Andy and new partner and work with them in the studio, and I have mixed feelings about that.  Mostly in the sense that Peta is no longer part of this partnership and she really needs to step aside and let Andy/Allison bond.  The other part of me is saying that she could be a huge help in terms of teaching Andy what Allison can't.

• Love 1

I don't care much for Andy Grammer's music but he probably is the only legitimate "star" in this bunch. He does seem nice, though. I won't be disappointed if he wins.

Don't tell Nick Carter that who is still selling out arenas with the Backstreet Boys. Even now BSB still has quite a massive following.

• Love 3

From the episode thread:

I've absolutely no idea what to look for in contemporary and judge it basically on "Did I like it?" (far as I can see, the judges do the same...), but it looked pretty bad for me as well. I thought the scoring for that dance was very generous and made me scratch my head

I only remember three things from their dance: 1)I really thought they were both going down on that botched lift, 2)Allison did that awful angsty reaching thing at the end that I hate, 3)The bizarre, over the top defense of what was clearly a mistake or, if truly intentional, incredibly bad choreography.

Unfortunately, none of that made me vote for Andy and as much as I think he has the right attitude, works hard, and is nice and affable, I don't care if he stays past others. He should be one of the big gets in the cast this season since he's actually currently successful and relevant. He's had good songs, good dance assignments, good packages, good interviews, and is a decent enough dancer on his own. He's on a season where no one has really separated from the pack and, yet, he's not showcased in his own dances.

I'm thinking he's going to be the first to go after the dead weight is gone.

• Love 1

I'm not an Allison hater, but she's the wrong partner for him. He would have done much better with Peta. If she wasn't available, they could have given him Lindsay or Jenna, anyone but Allison. She was perfect for Riker, but Andy needs someone who can teach an amateur.

• Love 2

Unfortunately, none of that made me vote for Andy and as much as I think he has the right attitude, works hard, and is nice and affable, I don't care if he stays past others. He should be one of the big gets in the cast this season since he's actually currently successful and relevant. He's had good songs, good dance assignments, good packages, good interviews, and is a decent enough dancer on his own. He's on a season where no one has really separated from the pack and, yet, he's not showcased in his own dances.

I'm thinking he's going to be the first to go after the dead weight is gone.

I agree with all of this. I don't dislike Allison, far from it. But she doesn't belong on this show. She doesn't know ballroom and she certainly doesn't know how to teach beginners ballroom or contemporary. That is not the focus of her career thus far. It would be like me trying to teach someone to cook. I sorta kinda know what to do, but not to the level I could teach someone who'd never seen a stove before.

I suspect Andy may be gone BEFORE all the dead weight is gone.

• Love 1

I know I'm no dance expert, but I don't see why the judges think Alek and Hayes are so much better than him. None of them are bad, but they aren't anywhere in the league of the ringers (Nick, Alexa, Carlos) who are inexplicably getting the same scores as them.

I know I'm no dance expert, but I don't see why the judges think Alek and Hayes are so much better than him. None of them are bad, but they aren't anywhere in the league of the ringers (Nick, Alexa, Carlos) who are inexplicably getting the same scores as them.

None of these people are really ringers IMO unless we are using the term ringer very loosely.  Does Alexa have some secret past dancing history?  Nick was probably one fo the worst dancers in BSB.  Carlos has performing experience but I don't know that I'd call it dancing.  Ringers doesn't equate to people that have some skill or natural talent, nor is every person with a performance background considered a ringer. 

That said, Alek's technique IMO Is way better than Andy's.  Nor does Alek get offtime or lose his steps often.  Andy's biggest liability IMO is Allison.  I think he would be doing better with another teacher who could actually ground him in ballroom basics.  Allison only works with celebs that come in with a high level of natural ability or some sort of dance experience.  If the pro can't even perform a quickstep properly, how can the celeb be expected to perform it properly?

• Love 4

At this point it feels kind of mean to keep dumping on Allison and it's not her fault, the producers made the decision here. But I agree that she's a liability for celebs who don't come with a ton of dance experience already and that's why Andy seems to be falling behind. Carlos and perhaps Nick with their boyband backgrounds have some form of dance experience and Tamar has performance experience, but boyband dancing and doing a bit of choreo for songs isn't much like ballroom dancing either. Alexa, Bindi, Alek, Hayes, far as I know, come with the same (lack of) dancing background as Andy. They're starting to pull away because they have pros with ballroom/latin background who know how to teach and choreograph these things.

And even with Riker there was one very telling moment: The salsa dance-off against Willow. She was fourteen and on severely limited practice hours, she didn't have the dance background Riker had. Yet IMO she won that thing fair and square. She was also clearly improved from her salsa performance the week before. While Riker had energy and charisma and speed as always, but it was messy and unrefined. And Allison wasn't capable of bringing refinement and nuance into his performances.

• Love 2

FWIW, I'm not dumping on Allison.  I like Allison and I think she's trying her best.  Plus according to Twitch she works her ass off in the off season and etc. trying to improve her ballroom skills.  It's just she's not ballroom trained and you can't expect her to get to the same level in a few short years that it took most of our other ballroom pros their whole lives to achieve.  So it's really the show's fault for putting her in this position.  I know she wants to be here, but at some point it's also questioning whether she's a good fit for this show if she can only be paired up with one sort of partner.

That said, Andy isn't tragic.  I've seen far worse on this show and he's touring at the same time, so it's also not like he has unlimited rehearsal time.  I'm sure the fatigue from all the traveling must be wearing on them both.

• Love 1

I like Andy (whom I'd never heard of before the show)--seems like a very, very nice person. But I say, with him, as with others who have tried it: too much on his plate. Don't do the show if you can't give it most of your time. (Or are a super-human ice-skater type.) Not fair to pro or celeb.

Do we know if Allison has brought in another pro for rehearsals while she's pregnant? Andy either retained a lot of knowledge from Sharna or there's an outside influence. There was definitely something different about the partnership this week that really gelled for Andy.

• Love 1

He has just become more likable to me as the weeks go by. I loved his matter-of-fact "dance is hard" explanation early in the competition.

But until last week, I figured he would be pleasant cannon fodder (for lack of a better term) and would be gone by the halfway point. Plus, I'm not an Allison fan, and I doubt she has the fan base of someone like Sharna or even Witney.

But last week's dance really seemed to light a fire under him, and maybe it inspired Allison as well.

I was totally prepared to hate Allison's Singin in the Rain interpretation, but man, they both killed it. He's now in my top four favorites for the season.

• Love 2