Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Hungry Ghosts

I'm the only one still watching?

Body floating downstream = Lonesome Dove.

Mei in the tent is suddenly wearing eyeliner and lipgloss?  She was very pretty in that scene.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 1

I'm watching.  But I'm incredibly bored with this season.  It's as though nothing has happened.  Or if something has happened, it's all happening off screen.  Sort of like the railroad; we get the sense it's being built, comments saying track is being laid, but we aren't really seeing it.  There's just something really missing from this season.  Not impressed.  

• Love 5

Wondering what Cullen said in Cantonese to Mei Fong as he was walking away at the end of this episode.  I closed-captioned it but it just said that Cullen said something (in Cantonese).  Great.  Another mumbly thing I couldn't understand.  So frustrating.

Also, I was kind of hoping Bohannon and Mei would at least hold each other when she offered to let him sleep/share her tent because it was too cold to sleep outside.  Okay, I was really hoping they would make love but I know that would be asking too much.  In fact, I'm waiting for Mei to be killed off in the season finale.  More reason why I was half hoping they would hook up at least a little bit.  Even a kiss.

Next week's season finale looks sort of snoozy.  I don't get the "split-season" concept.  Am I understanding this correctly?  So, next week is already the season finale and then they're going to have a several month break and continue the second half of the season next year or ?  Stupid.  And what is the reasoning for that exactly?  Someone shed some light if possible because I don't get it.  I'm already not invested in this season.  What makes TPTB think I will care in 6 months about any of this? 

Edited by beesknees
  • Love 3

It's becoming increasingly common for shows to split their final season.  Most likely reason is more money.  It's stupid.  I resent the networks for doing this.  

I've actually also seen that some networks even call their last two seasons a split final season if it happens to be seven, because that's the only way they can keep the cast as the main cast will sign on for a certain number of seasons and I think 7 tends to be the max.  In this case, it's also stupid and I still resent the networks for doing this.  

Edited by Human
  • Love 3

Is this the first we've learned of Eva having been Mormon? That surprised me.The rest, not so much. I did like Durant and Palmer working together.

Also, I was kind of hoping Bohannon and Mei would at least hold each other when she offered to let him sleep/share her tent because it was too cold to sleep outside.  Okay, I was really hoping they would make love but I know that would be asking too much.  In fact, I'm waiting for Mei to be killed off in the season finale.  More reason why I was half hoping they would hook up at least a little bit.  Even a kiss.

Yes! I even imagined Cullen mouthing "Hot Diggity!" as he jumped out of his sleeping roll, but then they just actually slept in the tent, and not in the way that one might for warmth. Palmer kept Durant at arm's length as well. Only Louise and Eva managed a liplock, as I guess Louise's scare sent her back to the safer of the bisexual choices.

Wondering what Cullen said in Cantonese to Mei Fong as he was walking away at the end of this episode.  I closed-captioned it but it just said that Cullen said something (in Cantonese).  Great.  Another mumbly thing I couldn't understand.  So frustrating.

"Watch out for the Swede"? It looks like he's headed to off Cullen's wife's family.

Don't anticipate Mei being around much longer either. Perhaps I missed something but I don't recall Cullen giving Ruth much comfort when Ezra was killed. Mei wont survive all that long on her own once her true identity is revealed.

Edited by JWalker

It's becoming increasingly common for shows to split their final season. Most likely reason is more money. It's stupid. I resent the networks for doing this.

I've actually also seen that some networks even call their last two seasons a split final season if it happens to be seven, because that's the only way they can keep the cast as the main cast will sign on for a certain number of seasons and I think 7 tends to be the max. In this case, it's also stupid and I still resent the networks for doing this.

I think many times it is so they can show new episodes around the big networks schedules. But then Hell On Wheels is a Saturday night show and it seems like it has been 30 years since there were first run series on Saturday's

I thought the only interesting thing in this episode was that Eva is a Mormon. 

I honestly didn't care if Louise lived or died and I didn't care about the liplock with Eva.  I am so over the lesbian/bisexual story with Louise.  I'm also tired of Durant and his shenanigans, and now the Palmer woman aligned with him.  Don't care about that relationship either.

I was actually glad that Cullen and Mei didn't make love, although I think she was hoping for it to happen.  They both have had enough grief, what with him mourning the loss of yet another family (at least that's what he thinks) and her losing her mother and now her father.  If she does survive, I'd like for them to have a little more time to just be friends before they become lovers.

As much as I can't stand the Swede, I will be interested to see what happens with him and the Mormons, especially Brigham Young.  I think the Swede will have finally met his match.

• Love 1

I'm glad Louise lived mostly because I'm not interested in seeing her die a horrible death as some kind of just punishment for being bisexual/sleeping with Campbell/having an abortion.  I've honestly feared that was where this storyline was going, so to see her walk away to get the story at the end felt like a win for her.  God knows those are far and few enough between on this show.

My impression was that Mei was at least half hoping for him to make a move too.  Snitty Mormon wife manages to be a complete buzzkill even when she hasn't been on screen for something like 10 episodes, but I'm sure the show will find a way to make it end badly on both ends for both women before it's all over since they each have some emotional tie to Cullen.  It's starting to feel almost like a drinking game now.

The Swede's appearance was at least mercifully brief this episode, showing up just long enough to remind us that he still has to pencil in time to go after the remaining members of the Hatch family before the end.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 1
The Swede's appearance was at least mercifully brief this episode, showing up just long enough to remind us that he still has to pencil in time to go after the remaining members of the Hatch family before the end.

I forgot, but what was the Swede's beef with the Hatch family?  I think I've just stopped paying attention to half of what happens on this show.

I forgot about Stagecoach Mary, it was nice to see her again.  Maybe Psalms was buying some land with her in mind?  Oh well, one can hope. *sigh*

Wondering what Cullen said in Cantonese to Mei Fong as he was walking away at the end of this episode. 

I'm not absolutely certain, but I thought it was "thank you." I think they've used those Cantonese words in other scenes, probably trying to help viewers become familiar. (Obvious fail.) I thought he was thanking her for helping him put to rest all those he's loved and whom he's had to bury, by having the floating candles ceremony. She said one candle was for her father, and the other was for all the people Cullen's had to grieve (not in those words, but that was the gist). So in the tent, when he told her, "I lost my wife and boy," he could have meant either the wife and boy that the soldiers killed in Mississippi or the Mormon snit and baby boy. I can't believe I'm going to say this -- because I lost my love for this show after Season 2 and still watch like an exhausted marathoner dragging herself to the finish line -- but I thought that part of last night's story (the weariness over so much death and the rather lovely floating candles to symbolize letting go of ghosts) was nicely done. So Cullen now feels like Mei has "set him free."

I am not spoiled and have no idea how this thing ends, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Mormon snit dies (probably via the Swede) and Cullen rides off into the sunset with Mei and his son.

Edited by juniemoon
  • Love 4
I forgot, but what was the Swede's beef with the Hatch family?  I think I've just stopped paying attention to half of what happens on this show.

The Hatches would be among the few still alive who know that he was fraudulently posing as the murdered bishop back at Fort Smith.  I believe Brigham Young also knows but decided to keep him around for some undetermined notion of using him.  Honestly, I'm struggling to pay attention to any of this as well.

Bonus that Mr. Hatch is Cullen's father-in-law and thus getting to him would also likely mean getting to snitty Mormon wife and child if they're still around.

• Love 1

The Hatches would be among the few still alive who know that he was fraudulently posing as the murdered bishop back at Fort Smith.  I believe Brigham Young also knows but decided to keep him around for some undetermined notion of using him.  Honestly, I'm struggling to pay attention to any of this as well.

Bonus that Mr. Hatch is Cullen's father-in-law and thus getting to him would also likely mean getting to snitty Mormon wife and child if they're still around.

Ah, ok, thanks.  I forgot that the Hatch's knew about the Swede.

I am not spoiled and have no idea how this thing ends, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Mormon snit dies (probably via the Swede) and Cullen rides off into the sunset with Mei and his son.

Works for me.

I'm not absolutely certain, but I thought it was "thank you." I think they've used those Cantonese words in other scenes, probably trying to help viewers become familiar. (Obvious fail.) I thought he was thanking her for helping him put to rest all those he's loved and whom he's had to bury, by having the floating candles ceremony. She said one candle was for her father, and the other was for all the people Cullen's had to grieve (not in those words, but that was the gist). So in the tent, when he told her, "I lost my wife and boy," he could have meant either the wife and boy that the soldiers killed in Mississippi or the Mormon snit and baby boy. I can't believe I'm going to say this -- because I lost my love for this show after Season 2 and still watch like an exhausted marathoner dragging herself to the finish line -- but I thought that part of last night's story (the weariness over so much death and the rather lovely floating candles to symbolize letting go of ghosts) was nicely done. So Cullen now feels like Mei has "set him free."

I went straight to Mississippi,  never for a minute thought of the shotgun wife as his. I had forgotten that is why Bohanan left Hell On Wheels and went west.

I went straight to Mississippi,  never for a minute thought of the shotgun wife as his. I had forgotten that is why Bohanan left Hell On Wheels and went west.

At first when he said that he lost his wife and boy, I assumed he was referring to Miss Snippy, aka shotgun wife.  But now that you mention it, I do wonder if he was referring to his first, "real" family.

I'm not absolutely certain, but I thought it was "thank you." I think they've used those Cantonese words in other scenes,

You are correct. She said it to Bohannon earlier in the episode..He looked up with a wtf face..so she translated for him and the audience.

Is this the Swede's endgame? Hanging around the railroad to recruit righteous killers? Mormons don't think twice about killing / bullying to protect their interests.

Any thoughts where theyre going with this Cullen/Mei storyline? Hopefully theyre not building this thing up just to kill the character off so Cullen can suffer some more. Ive had enough of that. I have to admit its more enjoyable than that tryst in the barn and shotgun wedding we got with the Mormon woman.

• Love 2

This show is starting to remind me of that board game "Clue" -- take a dozen characters, toss them in a salad-spinner along with locations and weapons, and spin. Who fucks who, who kills who with what, or who falls in love with whom. 

Any thoughts where theyre going with this Cullen/Mei storyline? Hopefully theyre not building this thing up just to kill the character off so Cullen can suffer some more. Ive had enough of that. I have to admit its more enjoyable than that tryst in the barn and shotgun wedding we got with the Mormon woman.

I'm thinking about Juniemoon's post about the Swede killing Mormon snit and Cullen and Mei winding up together and raising the child.   I'm feeling that that's what the writers are leading up to.  Surely they know that the viewers want some kind of happiness for Cullen and Mei after all of their suffering. 

Had a family wedding this past weekend so no time to watch this episode til today.  Watched the first 5 minutes and realized I am done and just don't care about this show anymore.  Off went the DVR.  I commend all of you who did watch.  Wonder what their ratings numbers are doing this season?? AMC, save yourselves some money and don't bother shooting those last 7 episodes...over and out..

Edited by Swiss

I saw a promo earlier advertising that they'll be marathoning this entire season thus far leading into the "midseason finale" and had a moment of wondering who the network thinks is still watching this show and whether they're under the impression that anyone is really stoked about what they're seeing. They must be or they wouldn't risk pulling a yearlong season split.

I keep saying I'm in it until the end, but that's more about my personal wiring to see things through to the finish than anything else at this point. It's feeling more and more like a chore now and it's entirely possible I just won't remember to come back.

• Love 1

I agree a marathon of this season is totally unnecessary; no need to see bad storytelling all over again.  I plan on seeing it through until the end but I just hope I don't miss the promos next year.

I like some of the new characters this season, like Mei and Strobridge, but it seems unwieldy to send Cullen to Truckee while still trying to tell a story in Wyoming. Here's hoping they bring it back together for the second part. I agree, splitting the season is stupid, but ever since Breaking Bad did it it's become a thing. Mad Men did it too.

• Love 1

I would like a marathon. I didn't watch this show in the beginning, and while I have watched the marathons since, there are episodes that run in the wee hours that I have missed. I'm not dedicated enough to rent the DVDs or anything, so broadcast is it for me.

If nothing else, I like the opening credits.

I doubt this show will have a happy ending. Happy endings are not trendy.

As long as the Swede dies in the end I don't really care about much else. Although it would be nice if the women don't die tragically, Durant ends up a broken shell of a man rotting in prison and the freedmen use their land purchase to build better lives for themselves. Actually it seems like I do care how it ends. I'm fairly sure the show will find a way to disappoint me however.

• Love 2
I'm watching.  But I'm incredibly bored with this season.  It's as though nothing has happened.  Or if something has happened, it's all happening off screen.  Sort of like the railroad; we get the sense it's being built, comments saying track is being laid, but we aren't really seeing it.  There's just something really missing from this season.  Not impressed.

It's because this show isn't the same HoW we saw the first 2 seasons or so. It's become Cullen Bohannan: Medicine Woman. I finally got my wife, a big Dr. Quinn fan from way back who had refused to watch HoW in season one because she found it too violent, to watch the episode where Cullen discovers Mei is a girl. And my wife said, "Yep, this looks like a companion show to Dr. Quinn."

I don't know if the showrunner changed, or through research found that the primary audience for HoW had become women, or what. But it isn't the same show.

I'm still watching because I've watched this far, and see bits and pieces of the characters I used to know. But it's discouraging.

I finally got my wife, a big Dr. Quinn fan from way back who had refused to watch HoW in season one because she found it too violent,

I felt the same way about season one. Whatever happened to the Native Americans, anyway? The show forgot about them?

• Love 2

This show changed showrunners  and direction at the start of season 3. They dropped the "revenge storyline". I recall Anson Mount saying in an interview prior to the start of season 3 that they were going to "reinvent" Cullen. I guess that's what they've been doing. Yes seasons 1 and 2 were violent but then again it was supposed to be an "adult western".

Edited by JWalker
  • Love 2

I don't know if the showrunner changed, or through research found that the primary audience for HoW had become women, or what. But it isn't the same show.

I'm a woman, and I absolutely loved seasons 1 and 2, have been horribly disappointed ever since the original show creators left and John Wirth took over. (Check out his credits to see why the storytelling has gone to, well, hell.) From what I've read, those who prefer Cullen Bohannon 2.0 seem to like more conventional Westerns, and seasons 3 onward have definitely gone that route. (I'd argue to the point of being little more than the "spaghetti Westerns" of old, but YMMV.) I miss the Native American storylines, the freedmen's unique post-Civil-War struggles, the complexities of Cullen and Elam's relationship, and the education along the way about how the railroad was built (including the historically accurate dirty dealings behind the scenes). Cullen was a very dark character, and his "growth" was very gradual, subtle and prone to backsliding, which I found much more interesting than this shiny new husband and daddy. The minute they put him in a suit with a pipe, acting like a railroad baron, smiling and talking four times as much as he had before, I knew I'd lost my show. So sad.

I'm like nodorothyparker in that I am compelled to see things through to their conclusion even when I don't care anymore. I do feel like there are some very good actors, Anson Mount among them, who possibly miss their more complex/challenging versions from the first two seasons but are seeing things through, and I feel a weird sense of responsibility to give them their due as they wrap up and move on, I hope, to better things.  

• Love 5

After watching this ep, and seeing more silly, lightweight Dr. Quinn plots, I'm done. I will watch the end of this season. If it comes back, I won't be watching. I don't care anymore.

I'm a woman, and I absolutely loved seasons 1 and 2, have been horribly disappointed ever since the original show creators left and John Wirth took over. (Check out his credits to see why the storytelling has gone to, well, hell.) From what I've read, those who prefer Cullen Bohannon 2.0 seem to like more conventional Westerns, and seasons 3 onward have definitely gone that route. (I'd argue to the point of being little more than the "spaghetti Westerns" of old, but YMMV.)

That's an insult to spaghetti Westerns, if you mean that seasons 3+ compare to them. Thanks for the tip on Wirth.  I looked him up and The Sarah Conor Chronicles were getting good when it was cancelled, so I don't know why he has done this to HoW.