Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Knotty Pine

I like how Emma was offended that the woodshop teacher wasn't interested in her birdhouse while Maggie was all hardcore about it especially during the scene when Bird Bones said it was "basic" and Maggie kept saying "say that again".

Man, the woodshop teacher was so skeevy.  I really can't see how anyone would fall for that guy, but I'm glad Bird Bones fell for his scheme because that means that she and Mark are (hopefully) over.  The poor guy was miserable and I secretly want to see him get back together with Emma.

I loved Maggie gossiping with the delivery guy from 30 Rock. I think if someone is that much of a gossip though, what is he saying about Maggie to other people behind her back?  The scene at the end where they had their "breakup" was too funny!

Did anyone else notice the delivery guy was really tan?  Was that a nice realistic touch for someone who is outside all day or did the actor go a little overboard with the tanner?

• Love 3

I don't care whether or not Emma and Mark get back together at some point, but if the show was going to lay that groundwork I wanted Mark and Birdbones' marriage to end first, and of its own accord -- not have the Mark/Emma possibility be A Thing and that be the reason it breaks up.  So I'm content with this "It's more work than it should be, and we're both worn out from trying" resolution.  Much more realistic than the triangle shit TV loves.

• Love 7

Yeah, that was one of my first thoughts, Mark and Birdbones are dunzo, so Emma and Mark will probably be back on. I'm glad she's not the reason they're divorcing. I'm good with whatever happens but now that they brought in the Rabbi, I'm a little conflicted... I like both guys, individually and paired with Emma.

Totally cracked up over Maggie telling Birdbones to say "basic" again.

• Love 4

I'm so pleased that they are continuing the little Pinterest references this season.  I have seen that stupid flip-flop wreath posted way too many times!

That's one of the things that I love about this show. It feels very real to me. I can understand why some shows may not want to mention Facebook or iPhone or whatever because in syndication that can make the show seem really dated (think myspace), but for a show that is on right now it is good to talk about things that are going on right now. My friends and I use Pinterest. I can relate to these girls. (My bestie and I also took a faux finish class once which was not taught by a skeevy instructor but had a very similar all female vibe so I liked that too).  

And like y'all I'm glad Mark & Birdbones realized their own issues and are breaking up due to that. I can see how exhausting she could be for a husband. In the first few episodes (I did a rewatch before this season started) they introduced her their marriage was all about her and taking care of her needs and doing things for her. That can get exhausting, but he also set the tone for that in the relationship. It only makes sense she was surprised when it stopped and felt unhappy with the shift in their relationship.

• Love 3

Just caught up with the 2nd season this week - they are at the top of their game right now. The dance battle had me cackling.

Fun fact: one of the few IMDB user reviews for "Playing House" is just a complaint that one episode had a "Homeland" spoiler and thoughtlessly ruined that other show.

• Love 3

I really enjoyed this weeks' show.  I loved the mix of zany humor and heart-tugging moments.   As joanne3482 so correctly pointed out, Mark and Tina's marriage was all about her needs;  it's no wonder then he reacted so dramatically when Emma knocked his train set around.  Maggie's dismissal of the woodshop teacher, her defense of Tina, and her scenes with Mark and Rod made her the star of this episode for me.  

I hope Playing House is doing well in the ratings.  I'd love for them to get a third season.   

• Love 1

The dance-off was hilarious. Maggie's body rolls were too funny. Rob Riggle was the perfect person to play Buck.

Add me to the list of people who like that Mark and Tina ended their marriage because of their issues.

• Love 3

I'm glad they didn't drag out Mark and Tina's breakup. Any time we saw them together their problems were so apparent it made me kind of sad to watch.

Maggie and Emma supporting Mark as friends was really sweet, but was anyone worried about Birdbones at the end? Aren't Maggie and Emma her only friends? If nothing else, it doesn't seem like she should be left alone without adult supervision.

• Love 6

This ep was so funny I immediately watched it a second time.  Maggie and Emma's intervention with Bird Bones was so well-orchestrated and subtle.  This is easily my favorite sitcom right now and my fingers are crossed for a third season.  That they can incorporate a heavy moment like Mark and Tina's marriage implosion so seamlessly into the comedy and not have it land with a thud is a testament to the quality writing and acting.  

My favorite toss-off line of the night, after Rod's about gossip being 'God's friendship glue' was Mark telling Emma he was using a Grimace from a Happy Meal to represent her in his model of her house.  

• Love 6
Maggie and Emma supporting Mark as friends was really sweet, but was anyone worried about Birdbones at the end? Aren't Maggie and Emma her only friends? If nothing else, it doesn't seem like she should be left alone without adult supervision.

I doubt we've seen the last of Birdbones. Maybe now that she doesn't have a marriage to deal with, she'll become a more self-sufficent person. I feel like a lot of her behavior was because she was desperately trying to get Mark's attention. With the marriage over, she can relax a bit and figure out who she is.

• Love 3