Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E19: The Escape? (Oregon County, MO)

I wondered that too. It was so weird. Was she afraid? Did she think she'd be implicated? Was she embarrassed?

Why say she never dated him when they already knew that wasn't true? Why act like she never knew him?

Or that she didn't do that drawing of the floorplan, that was in her own handwriting?

• Love 1
Much like others this season, the guilty party seems obvious, yet one wonders if they'd get a guilty verdict. I bet not.

I wonder what's worse not knowing who the murderer is or knowing committed the murder and knowing you'll

most likely never get a conviction. The latter seems like it might be better, maybe the victim's family will hold

out hope that he'll slip up, but maybe that hope is a bad thing. He may never slip up. The police may never

find enough evidence to convict him. Does it help at all to know who murdered your sister if he's walking

free and most likely always will?  

• Love 1

I'm very glad they didn't edit out Kelly's comment about the ex with the 'bad memory'. I wanted to slap the shit out of her too! It's a clever thing: you can't really cross-examine "I don't remember."  So it makes me wonder if she had anything to do with the disposal of the body or something. Well, maybe somebody will recognize her voice (I notice they didn't obscure that like they did with the other gf) and work on her to come forward.

And I wonder what the kids have been told all these years. Yeesh.

• Love 4

I was so pissed at the ex for not saying anything-but then I was seriously worried for the one who did give an interview after they decided not to push forward with prosecuting him. That is one seriously scary thing, to know someone you potentially angered has gotten away with murder. 

• Love 4

Before Kelly said "GRRRRRR! I wanted to slap the shit out of her!" I was saying the same thing. Makes me wonder if she helped Jeff get rid of the body. There's no way she doesn't remember. I may not remember the name of everyone I've dated years and years ago, but that I would remember.

And the guy who talked to them at the end said he was scared of Jeff. There's no question in my mind that he did it, but proving it is going to be difficult.

• Love 3

I really like this show, but I am now wondering if this is what it's always going to be from here on out - never having enough information/evidence to proceed with a warrant for an arrest, but keeping the investigation "open" as the DA's office continues to review the case.  I hate to say it, but that's never satisfying (especially with cases like this one where it's pretty damn obvious who did it, but the person will probably never be arrested let alone convicted for it). I know it's hard to have justice served in cold cases, but damnit, I want some justice served every now and then!

• Love 6

I agree with LIGirl. But there is some consolation for me that the perps are exposed. Even if they can't be convicted, they can't keep the secret. A little like Cosby -- he likely won't see any jail time, but we all know he's a rapist, and he won't ever escape that.

• Love 5

I agree with LIGirl. But there is some consolation for me that the perps are exposed. Even if they can't be convicted, they can't keep the secret.

I did a little binge watching after vacation today, and came to this same conclusion. The whole reason these are cold cases is that there has never been enough evidence to go to trial (or know for sure what happened, as in this case.) So maybe just being able to tell the Brenda(?)'s Mom that no, your daughter DIDN'T just run off will give her a little solace. The ex from this episode will have his life changed now that this has aired, and will always be looking over his shoulder. I'm pretty sure he's been feeling pretty confident the last 22 years.  Maybe being a little desperate now will cause him to slip up and do something stupid. (or someone else will come forward.) Maybe give the current wife the courage to leave, if she needs to.

As for the "forgetful woman", I'm guessing she knows exactly what happened, and is afraid the same thing will happen to her. If she said anything on air, he'd know exactly who and where she was. The comment about chopping Brenda up and feeding her to the pigs was not only horrifying, but probably very possible. (Criminal Minds had an episode like that - very difficult to watch that one.)  And I agree with Kelly's comments.  I think we were all screaming at the TV!

Somewhere there are a 26-year old young man and his younger sister who also saw this. So sorry for them.

• Love 2

I've liked a bunch of comments in this thread.  I completely believe that "Ms. Forgetful" either helped Jeff dispose of the body or knows what Jeff did with the body.  I also don't believe that she's not afraid of Jeff.  I think she's terrified of him...so much so that she's completely disassociated herself from even the memory of him.  I'm wondering if she could possibly have had a kid with Jeff, and he was unaware of it?  Maybe she was pregnant when she left him?  He did have a history of coming after Brenda when she tried to leave with the kids, and the ex most likely has knowledge that Jeff did kill Brenda (even if that can't be proven).  All of this is speculation on my part, but it would explain the ex's extremely unusual behavior.

Also, I lived in southern Missouri for a few years.  It was a couple hours away from Oregon County (I googled the distance), but I can attest to how rural and remote the southern part of tthe state is.  I never saw a sawdust pile during my time there, but there are plenty of out-of-the-way places to make a body disappear forever.  I'm saddened at the thought that any physical trace of Brenda has vanished from this world.  I hope that Jeff enjoys whatever time he has left in this world because I certainly believe he's going to be quite warm in the next one.  From Cold Justice to Hot Justice!

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 1

http://www.areawidenews.com/story/1814102.html

Here is a story they did on this case in 2012,

"At Dunham's family's request, on Jan. 21, a team of cold-case experts and local law enforcement authorities searched an old cistern on an Oregon County farm for clues about Dunham's disappearance almost 27 years ago."

This poor woman could be disposed of anywhere. The pig story just makes me sick. (Hannibal)  I wonder if they could go back to where the sawdust pile was in 1985 and do some seaching? Take a backhoe and move it around a little to see if they find anything.

It is very frustraiting that so many of these cases are not able to prosecute. Especially since it is so obvious who did it. Also, if these cases were taken seriously and worked properly when they happened, they would not be cold cases anymore. Now I am not saying that LE is not doing their jobs, but some of these small towns are just not equiped to handle a murder investigation. 

• Love 1

Now I am not saying that LE is not doing their jobs, but some of these small towns are just not equiped to handle a murder investigation. 

Exactly, which is why so many of them on shows like this are in small, rural areas. Christie Cornwell's disappearance went unsolved for several years in this area. And there was a man murdered here many years ago, and it took about 10 years for a dogged deputy who refused to give up to solve the case. Today, small town sheriff departments are not hesitant to call in the SBI or FBI to help them. Back then, I guess their bosses figured they had to solve it themselves.

• Love 1
Exactly, which is why so many of them on shows like this are in small, rural areas.

Didn't Kelly (or Yolanda) once say that that was the point of the series?  That Cold Justice predominately chooses small-town cases because the larger cities usually have more resources (and presumably don't need the assistance)?  The show has done cases in large cities, but I think it's a small number in relation to the overall number of cases featured on the show.

• Love 2

I've liked a bunch of comments in this thread.  I completely believe that "Ms. Forgetful" either helped Jeff dispose of the body or knows what Jeff did with the body.  I also don't believe that she's not afraid of Jeff.  I think she's terrified of him...so much so that she's completely disassociated herself from even the memory of him.  I'm wondering if she could possibly have had a kid with Jeff, and he was unaware of it?  Maybe she was pregnant when she left him?  He did have a history of coming after Brenda when she tried to leave with the kids, and the ex most likely has knowledge that Jeff did kill Brenda (even if that can't be proven).  All of this is speculation on my part, but it would explain the ex's extremely unusual behavior.

Also, I lived in southern Missouri for a few years.  It was a couple hours away from Oregon County (I googled the distance), but I can attest to how rural and remote the southern part of tthe state is.  I never saw a sawdust pile during my time there, but there are plenty of out-of-the-way places to make a body disappear forever.  I'm saddened at the thought that any physical trace of Brenda has vanished from this world.  I hope that Jeff enjoys whatever time he has left in this world because I certainly believe he's going to be quite warm in the next one.  From Cold Justice to Hot Justice!

My parents are from a county a few to the west of Oregon County, and that area is indeed rural, often wooded, full of places nobody ever goes.  Also it's kind of a different culture unto itself.  People can be so warm and hospitable, or regard you with cold suspicion that sends a shiver up your spine. 

...... The comment about chopping Brenda up and feeding her to the pigs was not only horrifying, but probably very possible. (Criminal Minds had an episode like that - very difficult to watch that one.)  And I agree with Kelly's comments.  I think we were all screaming at the TV!

Somewhere there are a 26-year old young man and his younger sister who also saw this. So sorry for them.

The Criminal Mids episode was based on an actual case, Robert 'Willie' Pickton who was convicted of murdered 26 women:  https://www.google.com/search?q=pig+farm+murders+canada&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&gws_rd=ssl

I feel bad for the kids as well.