Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E11: David S.

• Start Topic

The son and nephew of Major League Baseball stars has grown up feeling inadequate and confused. Turning to alcohol and meth, this young man lives a life of dumpster diving and sleeping behind stores in the upscale neighborhood where his family lives.

They seem to be finding more long term addicts whose bridges with their families have been long burned.  At first,   I couldn't decide whether to dislike his parents or totally understand they had given up a long time ago.  It was amazing that the neighbor hadn't given up yet.  By the end of the episode, I had decided the family had done everything they could.

His 62 day turnaround was amazing.  However, the therapist indicated he was still having paranoia. Wonder if he will ever be normal. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2

Once again, Ken Seeley gets a runner.

I question Jessie's intense devotion.  Filming a video for college?  That's a new ruse.

If anyone is wondering, the father is Dave Sax, and the uncle is Steve Sax.  

Edited by theajw
  • Love 2

I wondered if there wasn't an underlying mental illness with this one, because he was so immune to consequences.  

Was Jessie trying to convert him to heterosexuality?  I chuckled and guffawed at the ridiculous Hummer.

I was disappointed that Ken didn't lecture anyone on enabling, but perhaps they only did it this time for the cameras?

Jock dad & uncle seemed like nice, no-nonsense guys.

I hope he got to accept his sexual orientation.

Ken Seeley is a saint. I just wonder why he sounded so hoarse this episode.

David should be thankful that he still has people who care about him. He really was a nightmare when he was on meth, and while I first doubted that he'd stay sober post-rehab, I'm super glad that he had a happy ending.

I question Jessie's intense devotion.  Filming a video for college?  That's a new ruse.

I thought she and her mother were auditioning for something. I just don't know what. Perhaps they thought they had a trendy topic in gender confusion, but too late - Caitlyn Jenner and others beat them to the punch. They hijacked the episode, and I think production tolerated the nonsense to get David into treatment.

And the rub-on fork and spoon stencil on the kitchen wall made me irrationally rage-y. :-)

The ginormous script on the fireplace mantel gave me pause.

Interesting that the family apparently accepted David's sexual preference but he supposedly hates himself for it.

Actually, David and the friend and her mother seemed to be acting. He looked pretty good for a homeless meth addict. And he made his ongoing escapes seem routine and boring.

Ken's always had that scratchy voice, but it did seem a bit worse in this episode. I can't remember if he did meth - can smoking drugs cause larnyx damage? I'm always glad to have Ken on my screen. The man is tireless.

• Love 1

David was a little brat! I was like omg just let him go. But then again he was really messed up

Also I hope Jessie goes to Alanon. Driving around for hours being so bent out of shape ...seems exhausting. 

I would have called the jail first before spending all that time looking for him

I hope he does find peace with himself. It seems like his family was supportive but people do forget that some gay people don't want to be gay. Hopefully as society progresses we see less and less of that. 

He did look really good during the follow up, I hope he stays sober.

• Love 2

If anyone is wondering, the father is Dave Sax, and the uncle is Steve Sax.  

As in "Steve Sax and his run-in with the law"? No way!

"So what did you do this weekend?"

"I searched the city for my homeless meth-addict best friend. You?"

"..."

Jessie definitely needs a lecture on enabling. When she was crying over how David was arrested because she took him to get drugs, all I could do was yell at the TV, "THEN STOP TAKING HIM TO GET DRUGS!"

I'm pretty sure the name "David" was spoken at least five times a minute in this episode. By the end, I never wanted to hear the name again.

• Love 4

Seconded or thirded or whatever to everyone who says David, Friend, and Friend's Mom were acting. Their parts just seemed so fake. I actually said, "I feel like I'm watching South Beach Towing."

• Love 3

"I thought she and her mother were auditioning for something. I just don't know what. Perhaps they thought they had a trendy topic in gender confusion, but too late - Caitlyn Jenner and others beat them to the punch. They hijacked the episode, and I think production tolerated the nonsense to get David into treatment."

I agree - I found David to be hardly worth all this drama. Were those two hoping to be hired as intervention aides? Sorry - the people who drive people to get drugs on a regular basis then give them shelter don't qualify.

My biggest concern was Ken - why did he look so bloated and why did he sound so raspy? I hope he is alright.

I admit that I lol'ed at the "I'm gay!" "We know!" part.

Me too. Glad I'm not alone.

It's sad that he felt so tortured when his family was obviously super okay with it. Like other posters mentioned, it was all so dramatic that it definitely seemed a little staged. I seriously hope people don't apply for fame, since the only people who seem to be "somewhat known" throughout all of these years are Allison and to a lesser degree, Cristy. And for all the wrong reasons. 

I wondered why Jessie's mom was so involved in this guy's life. I know that if it were my mother, she would be warning me against hanging out with such a character, not driving around town helping me look for him in back alleys.

• Love 4

I don't know what it is, but I just find this episode really fake.  The scene where Jessie is trying to convince David to come and sleep at her place because he hasn't slept in days... David actually calls himself paranoid.  Generally, people who actually are paranoid don't know it and don't admit it like that.  I didn't believe any of the acting going on.  I think his parents are probably fed up with him, fed up with the amateur dramatics.

• Love 5

A note about Ken's raspy voice:

A good friend of mine had recurring, benign polyps and granulomas in his throat, and he'd have to have surgery when they got really bad. He sounded exactly the way Ken sounded --always raspy, but it would get progressively worse.

I'm thinking Ken may have something like that. (I believe GERD is one reason for granulomas and maybe for polyps, too, but there are also other reasons for both. ) No matter what, I also hope he's ok. I like Ken a lot.

Edited by Scorpiosunshine
  • Love 1

This episode was ridulous. Addiction seemed to be about 5% of the issue with David, the remaining 95% was pure & simple he is a pampered spoiled brat--the parents are reaping what they sowed. I loved the staging of his "homeless shack" and pretending to be drunk/high throughout the episode--then cutting back to the multi-million dollar mansion where he crashes when it suits him.