Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Day Is Done

(edited)

While Beth and Gene fight to save the camp from government forces, Andy and the other counselors take on their Camp Tigerclaw rivals.

Edited by OnceSane

I thought Coop's story line was the weakest of the bunch, and "Lindsay is a NY reporter" made no sense with her character in the movie, but I found the series to be incredibly satisfying. Especially this final episode. The scene with Jon Hamm and Janeane Garofalo where she picks apart all the holes in the plot? The big camp brawl? Chris Pine singing the Higher song? The camp taking on the government with gym equipment? So funny! I have to watch the series again to pick up on some of the smaller bits, but first I have to watch the original movie again!

• Love 2

Hilarious!  Everyone went back into character and the story kept true to the original too.  So great that even those who achieved greater fame returned (does anyone think Sean Penn would have considered playing Spicoli again in a Ridgemont HIgh sequel). 

I knew about most of the cameos, but I had no idea about Chris Pine, and I fucking lost it when he burst out and started singing "Higher and Higher". The "Higher and Higher" bit is my favorite part of the movie and I love that it ended up in the series.

This was incredibly quick to get through, and I'm going to have to watch it again because while I got most of the callbacks to the movie, I'm sure there's more I missed. This was incredibly satisfying, and I wasn't disappointed at all.

Coop had my least favorite storyline, but Michael Showalter, out of everyone, really nails the tone of the film the best (which makes sense). The earnestness on "Don't you remember our truce?" made me laugh so hard I missed the next line.

• Love 3

I just gunned the series down and I'm going to watch the movie now. The whole fight and the end just killed me. I really don't lol much, but I had to pause a few times because I was laughing so hard. Not enough JG for me but that's because I'm really into her. Otherwise that was so over the top. So good.

You're going be so good that by the end of the camp everyone's going to look 15 years younger *go watch the movie now*.

Ok. 

I didn't realize all the pottery shards sounds were a thing.

How does Paul Rudd look exactly the same?

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 2

I was spoiled that there was going to be a fight between Gene and The Falcon, but I still wasn't let down.  Just so hilarious and both Christopher Meloni and Jon Hamm were pros.  And then the big twist!  The Falcon was a double agent all along!  So stupid, but so awesome.  I love that he (or the show) had no good reason about why he tried to kill Beth, and why he killed both Greg and Michael Cera in cold blood.  No explanation whatsoever!  Ha!

That said, the Firewood vs. Tigerclaw battle might have been the highlight.  All the random weapons were priceless, and all the actors were having a blast.  Loved when both Andy and Blake busted out numb-chucks out of nowhere.  And then it all ends because Eric/Rocker Chris Pine randomly shows up and unites everyone with "Higher and Higher."  Only to randomly get shot and driven over by the government.  And, yet he's somehow alive and going to NYC now.  Again, ha!

Coop recaping the entire day was the best.

Since they are married in real life, all I could think of in Neil's "one thrust and done" sex scene was that I'm going to assume that Joe and Beth's love life is much better then that!

Overall, I enjoyed this a lot.  I think having it be 8 thirty minute episodes was smart, because it was long enough to have a fun story, but it didn't feel like it overstayed it's welcome.  Only complaints would be some characters not being used as much as others (then again, I wonder how much of that depended on availability since a lot of these guys are pretty big now), and I didn't care much about any of the kid stuff, but I'm glad Netflix did this, and that all of the original cast was game to come back.

• Love 5
(then again, I wonder how much of that depended on availability since a lot of these guys are pretty big now)

Speaking of which, I loved how they didn't even try to hide this hurdle with "DJ Ski Mask."

• Love 5

My boyfriend totally called "Higher and Higher" as Eric's masterpiece song (I thought it was going to be the intro song). And I love that his song brought the camps together…and then got him killed. Awesome.

Coops recap and the Meloni/Hamm battle topped with Garafalo driving a tank through the plot holes had me laughing so hard I needed to pause and regroup.

And third me as having this be the first time I've ever crushed on Chris Pine.

• Love 1

Maybe it goes without saying, but I love how the never-before-heard amazing rock song has a spontaneous band/orchestral backing (with DJ Ski Mask on drums) and everyone knowing the words.

And the Falcon/Gene fight with Gene fondling his sweaters as the special ops guys come in and then discovering a (somehow-newer-looking) fridge, and excessive pots-on-heads... with that, the brawl, the holes-in-story exchange, everything that everyone has said, I am pretty sure this one is my favorite octant of the story.

Edited by rabidchipmnk

I have no idea who Chris Pine is but he was pretty damn hilarious in this. Also, I didn't really catch it the first time that it was him at the end, alive and well.

I want Christopher Meloni to do a lot more comedy.

Something about the Falcon/Beth exchange "I'm not mad at you/No, no, just mad at the situation, I understand" just about killed me.

I enjoyed Coop's first longing look at Katie there at the end, too. And I'm glad Marisa Ryan didn't actually make out with any children in this one. 

I thought Coop's story line was the weakest of the bunch, and "Lindsay is a NY reporter" made no sense with her character in the movie, but I found the series to be incredibly satisfying.

I was expecting the season to end with some contrived explanation for why Lindsay is acting the way she does in the movie.