Type keyword(s) to search

Liz Nolan: I, Nooooooooolan

Rapidly catching up to her sister as my favorite HG.  She has both of their comp wins, and she handled the Austin situation much better than Julia, IMO.  She said it was a plan they came up with together, she played it off as if it was no big deal, and she didn't seem to be buying Vanessa's faux-emotional "he just wants you in the Jury House to jump your ass!" line.  In fact, I almost thought I saw a "bitch, please" eyebrow-raise in response.

Where Julia left the House with Vanessa/Shelli/Clay having agreed to ditch Austin and leave the twins as the next target, Liz has worked to restore her alliance and is now well-positioned within it.  I still like Julia better, but Liz is definitely racking up points, IMO.

And I was glad she got the Outback reward.  Of course, after eating all that steak and side dishes and dessert, she's just giving Jason more reason to call her "Fat Beth", but he's probably leaving tonight, so to heck with him.  Go, Liz!

(And for some reason, I find the whining strangely enthralling.  Not as much as the poster on another board who wrote that he could spend the entire hour just listening to the twins whine "I knoooooooooow", but it is rather hypnotic.  I mean, reeeeeeeeeeeeaally.)

• Love 1

I find myself strangely compelled to agree. The Liz in the DR was calm, rational, and relatively articulate - pretty much a 180 of the Liz we see in the House.

Which means "House Liz" is a persona adopted for effect.

Which means I'm now curious as hell to see if any of the other HGs penetrate the facade. :)

Holy crap!  I'd been making the same "yeah, surrre, Liz is 'smart'!" jokes that the show has, but it turns out…she really is!  She graduated cum laude from Loyola, which is a Jesuit university, and so, presumably not a party school.  (Even if Liz went to Loyola of New Orleans, so the party opportunities were certainly there.)  No wonder Julia was distressed at the idea of Liz "playing the dumb blonde"; unless Julia's degree has a magna or a summa on the front of her cum laude, she probably takes pride in Liz's achievement.

Also interesting to hear that in Liz's pre-show interviews, she claimed she got the opportunity to do the show through having met Porsche.  Assuming that she's not making that up to hide the twin twist, that makes her, in alumni terms, somewhat like Janelle's granddaughter.  (Janey begat Porsche, who begat Liz…)  Well, Janelle got 3rd (2x) and Porsche got 2nd, so I guess Liz is destined for 1st.  And if she really is a "brainiac" who's been hiding her light under a whine all this time, good for her.

Now that I think about it, Liz did make it through Week 1 by negotiating the safety from Da'Vonne.  Da' even said she was the only one who made her a concrete offer.  Good, smart gameplay.*

*-Unless that was Julia, of course.

• Love 1

I love the title for this thread.

Thank you.  It's the whole reason why I got off my ass (metaphorically, I was still seated) and started making topics; the Austin thread's title was an enjoyable call-back to the show's history, and the Becky thread's is inescapable, but this is the one I love the most.

I am actually pretty impressed that Liz is such a good actress that she has everyone believing she's a dumb blonde when she actually graduated cum laude from Loyola!  Her voice (and her sister's voice) still grates like good cheese, but she seems to be playing a smart game.  Hated her bitchy remark to Jason about his watching from his parent's basement but....well....this IS Big Brother so bitchy is kind of the order of the day. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Hated her bitchy remark to Jason about his watching from his parent's basement but....well....this IS Big Brother so bitchy is kind of the order of the day. 

That didn't bother me simply because Jason is the biggest bitch of them all. Calling Liz fat like 500 times a day, treating Steve like shit, calling Shelli the c word. He was an awful person, so turnabout is fair play imo.

Honestly Liz is probably the person I'm rooting for the most. I tend to gravitate towards whichever female player is most hated by the audience lol.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1

Holy crap!  I'd been making the same "yeah, surrre, Liz is 'smart'!" jokes that the show has, but it turns out…she really is!  She graduated cum laude from Loyola, which is a Jesuit university, and so, presumably not a party school.  (Even if Liz went to Loyola of New Orleans, so the party opportunities were certainly there.)  No wonder Julia was distressed at the idea of Liz "playing the dumb blonde"; unless Julia's degree has a magna or a summa on the front of her cum laude, she probably takes pride in Liz's achievement.

She does seem to respect Julia's game skills a lot, though, judging from the brief glimpses of the two of them together on the episodes. Whether that's because of their closeness as twins, or because she thinks Julia has a better handle on strategy and character analysis, I don't know. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Liz did do very well in the BotB with paint throwing and spelling, to the point that she prevented James's attempts to throw it. That comp required a lot of hustle, but was definitely more than just a physical challenge.

• Love 1

As we move to Week 6 (episode already airing back East), I can't help but think that Liz's greatest triumph in Week 5 was not her single-handed victory in the BotB or her putting out the fire from Austin's failed campaign to recruit Jason, or just the general stress of the Twin Twist, but rather her epic victory last Sunday over the obdurate and overstuffed kitchen garbage bag.  Watch and be awed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THrtcsHG-KU

Of course, part of the reason that Liz was the one to slay this particular beast is that she and her sister are pretty much the only HGs that clean.  (You may remember a scene of Julia entering after a twin switch, going to the kitchen and nearly twitching in repulsion at the mess.)  Some of that may be strategic, since the more they have non-social tasks to occupy them, the less likely they are to slip up, but Liz mentioned in a pre-show interview that she was a bit OCD about cleaning, and given that the rest of the HGs seem to scatter food as if they want the annual ant infestation, it's probably a good thing the twins are around, my general affection for them aside.

• Love 2

The thread title is driving me crazy because I know I should know the "I, Nolan" part of it, but I just can't remember. If someone would explain, I'd be eternally grateful and would not nominate you this week.

I had no problem with the "Nooooooolan" part of it.

Liz's unwillingness to believe that Austin really did pitch booting Julia so that he could be in the Jury House with Liz made me want to smack her upside the head with a mackerel. Yes, Liz, I know it's hard to believe, but he really is just that skeevy and deluded.

The thread title is driving me crazy because I know I should know the "I, Nolan" part of it, but I just can't remember. If someone would explain, I'd be eternally grateful and would not nominate you this week.

I had no problem with the "Nooooooolan" part of it.

Liz's unwillingness to believe that Austin really did pitch booting Julia so that he could be in the Jury House with Liz made me want to smack her upside the head with a mackerel. Yes, Liz, I know it's hard to believe, but he really is just that skeevy and deluded.

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a play on one of Liz's favourite phrases " I knooooooowwwww". The comma between I and Noooooooolan is the thing that's tripping me up.

(edited)

It's just a common autobiographical form, as in I, Claudius, the famous novel by Robert Graves about the Roman Caesars, which was the basis for a famous 12-part miniseries in the 1970s.  (John Hurt as Caligula is particularly enjoyable, but that's a meaty part, after all.  Star Trek and X-Men fans can enjoy a youngish Patrick Stewart as Sejanus.)  The episodes are all on this YouTube channel, although Episode 1 has been geo-blocked in the U.S. and removed from the index.  (There are downloaders that work around that, though.)

Or, if you're in the mood for something lighter, there's the excellent comedy episode of the original Star Trek, "I, Mudd".  Unfortunately, I can't find that for free on YT at the moment (you can buy it from CBS, which is apparently cracking down on the Trek uploaders…grrr), but it's a hoot.  ("HARRRRRRCOURT!  Harcourt Fenton Mudd, you've been drinking again!…") 

I'm sure the "I, [name]" formulation has been used for many other literary works, although none spring to mind at the moment.  (Perhaps I should ask Austin?)  So it's a combination of the autobiographical literary device, and Liz's favorite phrase.  Hope this clears that up.

And thanks for motivating me to seek out and download the I, Claudius (or, as I put it on my old VHS tapes, "I, CLAVDIVS") episodes.

ETA:  Can't believe I forgot the classic Isaac Asimov sci-fi novel (and terrible Will Smith movie), I, Robot!

Edited by DAngelus
  • Love 1

Oh, yes, I remember I, Claudius very well. Really, that show is a good parallel to Big Brother. Lie low, play dumb and innocuous early in the game, allow everyone around you to take each other out and have showmances, and then marshal your forces and seize power.

While writing about I, Claudius, I realized that the work I was trying to remember was I, Robot, a series of short stories by Isaac Asimov that were turned into a movie which I never saw.

Edited by Kris117

While writing about I, Claudius, I realized that the work I was trying to remember was I, Robot, a series of short stories by Isaac Asimov that were turned into a movie which I never saw.

You're lucky.

Asimov's stories were great.

The Will Smith movie was pretty suckalicious.

• Love 1

Oh, yes, I remember I, Claudius very well. Really, that show is a good parallel to Big Brother. Lie low, play dumb and innocuous early in the game, allow everyone around you to take each other out and have showmances, and then marshal your forces and seize power.

Great comparison!  Thankfully (oh, hell, I spoiler everything, why not this?)

the "locked in a room" punishment on BB doesn't have the same ending it had for Livilla.  Who, it turns out, was played by Patricia Quinn, better known as Magenta from The Rocky Horror Picture Show.  So now I'm imagining Livilla spending her last hours going "Let's do the Time Warp again!"

In actual Liz news, I read that while BB kept Julia out of the house for six days last week (from Friday between noms and BotB, until her Thursday formal entrance), if the twins had made made their usual three-day switch on Monday, Liz was planning on telling Julia that she was still on the block (after BotB, Veto, and the Veto ceremony) and they were going home.  Heh.  In the words of Julia, "you're such a bitch."

My hoped-for (not predicted, just hoped-for) Final Two pair for sure, now.

• Love 1

If Liz make Final Two, should the jury credit her role in the twin twist towards a victory? Upon re-entering the house each time, Liz had to quickly figure out minor things that Julia didn't have time to tell her. Or maybe the jury will discount Liz's first five weeks because of how often she got to leave the house and get away from the game.

Liz said she was surprised that Shelli, Meg, and James didn't vote for her. She really thought she was going to win against both Steve and Vanessa. Yikes.

Oh my god-uuuuhhhh! Why didn't you vote for me-uuuuhhhh? After I pretended to like you and everything-uuuhhhh!!! So mean-uuuhhhhh!

• Love 3

I figured Liz must of felt like she would beat them both, because someone who really thought they might lose wouldn't have dropped out of part one of the HoH like that. Another indicator why Austin (and showmances) are bad for your game: you start to blow so much smoke up each others asses you lose touch with reality not just outside the house reality which is understandable, but the perception of you game inside the house, when Liz/Julia were both on the block, Liz seemed painfully aware that she was "hated", yet a few weeks later she's convinced she'll be Steve and Van. Oof.

I just listened to Rob's podcast (the link is in Vanessa's thread), and even after that entire week of Vanessa telling Liz she was taking her to F2, Liz still thought that Vanessa was possibly lying, even to the point where she thought Vanessa threw that last HOH comp so she wouldn't have to be the one to evict Liz. That explains why Liz was so unprepared. I understood her being shocked that Steve took her, but before the finale, I thought she'd at least be prepared in case Vanessa won. But if she still didn't really truly believe Vanessa was taking her either, then she thought she was dead in the water, hence no preparation.

It was dumb, but at least slightly more understandable if she truly didn't think either of them were taking her to F2.

• Love 2