Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E19: The Many Mouths of Andrew Colville

So many cute moments this episode including Clyde in costume (x2), Ms Hudson mentions (x2), Sherlock picking Watson's wardrobe, Sherlock getting punched to further an investigation, Sherlock going to sing "Let it Go", and Sherlock asking Joan on vacation!

I kinda went aww when he said he'd make her dentures too.

• Love 1

Glad to know Ms. Hudson is still around, I'd still like to actually see her though.

Could someone explain this episode to me. I didn't follow the chronology of the attacks and the making of the dentures and why any of that would lead to a lawsuit by Mother Colville.  I swear to God I'm not stupid but I do have a nasty cold.  

Colville was imprisoned at Newgate from 2001 to 2004, during which time the prison doctor made a cast of his teeth. After his release from that prison stint, he was convicted of murdering two women and reincarcerated. According to Joan's colleague, he confessed to those murders on his deathbed. A few months prior to this episode occurring, the prison doctor, who was himself dying, found out about Colville having been convicted of murder based on his bite marks and wrote to Colville's mother to say that Colville might not have committed the murders after all. It's never explicitly stated on what grounds Mrs. Colville was filing her lawsuit, but I assume it was an accusation of negligence or mishandling that led to her son's conviction based on faulty evidence. She had her own set of dentures made and killed the other women to further cast doubt on her son's conviction.

• Love 1
(edited)

Clyde the shark!  Ms.Hudson mentioned! The story was okay, but . . . Clyde!  Ms. Hudson!

So many cute moments this episode including Clyde in costume (x2), Ms Hudson mentions (x2), Sherlock picking Watson's wardrobe, Sherlock getting punched to further an investigation, Sherlock going to sing "Let it Go", and Sherlock asking Joan on vacation!

I kinda went aww when he said he'd make her dentures too.

Even though we didn't get to Ms. Hudson, I was pretty glad we got to hear her mentioned, that she hasn't been forgotten. I hope we hear about  Randy too soon. And Alfredo. I'm kind of disappointed that we didn't get to see the performance of Let It Go but maybe just imagining is better.

It was good to see Sherlock gently approach Joan about her fixation on the surgeon. If anyone understands seeing clues everywhere, it's him. Hopefully part of teaching her will be to accept that people aren't perfect, but it doesn't make them criminal. Just...let it go. (Sorry.)

Edited by frenchtoast

It was good to see Sherlock gently approach Joan about her fixation on the surgeon. If anyone understands seeing clues everywhere, it's him. Hopefully part of teaching her will be to accept that people aren't perfect, but it doesn't make them criminal. Just...let it go. (Sorry.)

I hope we aren't being too reptitive posting on both boards, but I liked this button of Joan's was pushed. She has a sensitivity about innocent people dying on her and if she was part of that, if she could have stopped it, etc. It's not rational, but it fit with her past. I also really loved Sherlock talking to her about it. He is her teacher and mentor in a way so it would make sense for him to remind her that you can overdo it or project too much.

I read another AV Club commentary about how quiet this show is. Even the humor is understated. I love that the conversations are quiet and meaningful.

Clyde the Shark was awesome lol. I've missed his tortoisey goodness.

I like that they brought in the hackers again for a great callback. Died laughing at the thought of him singing Let It Go in that outfit lol. And I double love how Joan is all "whatever" and doesn't even bother to view the performance lol.

• Love 1

Colville was imprisoned at Newgate from 2001 to 2004, during which time the prison doctor made a cast of his teeth. After his release from that prison stint, he was convicted of murdering two women and reincarcerated.

Thanks for the breakdown Tabbyclaw, somehow I completely missed that Colville had been imprisoned twice. I thought the dentures were made while he was in jail for the woman-biting murders, and none of episode made sense.

• Love 1

I love that in the world of Elementary, Newgate Prison is in New York instead of London. They could easily use an actual New York prison, but it's more Sherlock Holmes-y to have him go to Newgate.

(Apparently there really was a Newgate Prison in New York, but it stopped being used in 1829)

• Love 1

Great episode. I watch this show to enjoy the characters and their relationships: the cases are less important to me. I like to see their lives, so I enjoyed the moments with Clyde, Sherlock's line about getting new teeth for Joan...

I'd like to see Joan thinking about writing, though. It'd help to see her as a version of John Watson because I'm having some trouble with that. As much as I love her, she doesn't remind me of the original Watson at all.

• Love 1

Clyde stole the episode, but then I'm partial to turtles. The Elementary writers' Twitter account had several photos of Clyde in his cozies.

I would also pay real money to see Holmes (or Jonny Lee Miller) on YouTube dressed in a prom dress and singing selections from "Frozen". This gag is strictly for fans. I don't think a casual viewer would understand what was happening with the ritual humiliations demanded by the hacker group. I like what it adds to the generally manic air around Holmes and what it says about his indifference to irrelevancies in his pursuit of the truth.

I would also pay real money to see Holmes (or Jonny Lee Miller) on YouTube dressed in a prom dress and singing selections from "Frozen".

Way to sell DVDs though if it is included as a special feature.

I bet the Baker Street Irregulars are punching themselves for never asking themselves why they never got  their Sherlock to do fun or ridiculous things!

Definitely a convoluted episode, but with all the call-backs, one for the fans.

I want to see that treasure hunt. Plus his goofy invite! He thinks Joan is fun! Lucy Liu might be fun but Joan seems a bit of a killjoy. The fact that Sherlock thinks she is fun makes me swoon. It is like the early years of Mulder and Scilly.

Edited by jeansheridan
  • Love 1