S10.E12: 10 Year Anniversary Special

• Start Topic

Terry Fator. 

Olate Dogs. 

Dustin's Dojo. 

Jackie Evancho

Leonid the Magnificent. 

Kaitlyn "I'm from America" Maher.

and the show would not have been complete without Prince Poppycock.

Neal Boyd and Michael Grimm got little air time as their seasons were NBC's producers got talent.

I would have found a spot to include Ulysses singing "Love Boat" during the two hours. There were multiple spots to hit the fast forward button, but overall it was a nice revisit of the ten seasons.

I was hoping they would show Big Barry since that was one contestant Howard wasn't a big fan of. Plus did they even show the Kristoff brothers or the teen band that had the girl singer from I think season 6?

Not a single glimpse of the season one winner, Bianca something.  There was a little bit of Regis and not one mention of Jerry Springer.  I was surprised to see a clip of whistle blower Arcadian Broad.   

It was interesting to see how much the set has changed since day one. Their X's were so tiny way back then.

The retrospective was kind of heavy on the current judges which made it look more like an extra long commercial for AGT.  I never liked Piers as a judge.  He was kind of a dick and he hit the buzzer way too often.  I did like hearing his perspective on the contestants and the ones who fought back.   

• Love 1

I thought this episode was a lot of fun. I had completely forgotten about Sharon and Hasselhof as judges. How quickly we forget! It did remind me of how much I dislike Piers though, and how happy I was when he was replaced. I agree too much was shown of recent contestants, it would have been fun to see more of the oldies. I had forgotten how fabulous Terry Fader was, he is quite wonderful. And I was very happy to see Prince Poppycock again, my favorite from that season. Therefore, I was glad very little was shown of Jackie Evanko.

• Love 2

Too much of the judges; not enough of some of the acts.

I don't mind Piers, actually; his reaction to Landau Eugene Murphy Jr's audition is one of my favourite all-time reality/competition show moments.

But really, just way too much judge crap. Way, WAY too much Howie. YMMV.

I am ever so glad to have missed Piers Morgan and David Hasselhoff's seasons; sorry I missed any god acts therein.

But I enjoyed the retrospective immensely.  My memory isn't what it used t be; this helped.  :-)

• Love 2

This was a fun retrospective. It was nice to see clips of so many fun acts in the past. I was somewhat surprised they didn't pay more attention to the winners.

Watching this made me really, really unexcited to have to deal with Piers again next week.  Ugh.  But I'm glad they included those awful little gnome people just because they freaked him out so much.  I really wish Howard was staying, I love him as a judge. 

Delurking to say that I wish they had waited until after this year's season had concluded to do this retrospective. We did enjoy watching, but at times it felt more like a commercial for the current judges. So many good acts were overlooked or barely had a 1-second glimpse (Tom Cotter).

I wish they had recognized all the past season winners and runners-up. For example, I think it's a shame that they ignored Michael Grimm, the season's actual winner, to recognize Jackie Evancho. I get that she was part of a segment about youth performers, but still.

I hope the producers do a DVD with more and longer highlights for every season. There are entire performances (such as Prince Poppycock and the KrisStef Brothers) that I'd love to watch again.

Sometimes I think this show succeeds despite what the producers do to mess it up.

• Love 2

They got the moment of moments right:  Landau's first notes in his debut audition.  Nothing will ever top that for me.

I wished we would have had more Poppycock, but they picked good snippets.

The truly disturbing thing for me is the certainty which overtook me that we were/are being groomed for a full return by Piers.  There is no other rational explanation for all the THs of his they chose to use.

• Love 1

They got the moment of moments right:  Landau's first notes in his debut audition.  Nothing will ever top that for me.

I wished we would have had more Poppycock, but they picked good snippets.

The truly disturbing thing for me is the certainty which overtook me that we were/are being groomed for a full return by Piers.  There is no other rational explanation for all the THs of his they chose to use.

Lonesome Rhodes, double check to all of your points. Even though I'm not a Simon Cowell fan, I'd take him over Piers as a judge, if there must be a change. (I will never forgive Piers for how he fucked over Prince Poppycock in the finals. I want to cry just thinking about it.)

• Love 1

I agree. Did any of the other past judges get talking head moments? I can't remember seeing Sharon or Brandy or Hoff, other than in clips from when they were on.  Plusthe clips they showed of him from past seasons were all fairly positive (at least on a Piers scale of 1-10, with 1 being snarky and 10 being an insufferable asshole).  They gave us his comments from Prince Poppycock's first audition, which were relatively kind, versus his homophobic and downright nasty comments (and inexcusable final show buzzing) from later performances.  And HE of all people is Mel B's special guest judge for this week - there's no way that was her decision, that's a total producer plant.  I hope I'm wrong but I really think Piers will be back for Season 11....and I might be gone...

I don't know which is the right thread to post this in, so since we're talking judges here:  Count me in as someone who does not want to see Piers come back. How about Penn Jillette as a replacement for Howard? An experienced performer taking the voice of reason role (without being Piers mean).

I suspect they had so many Talking heads of Piers because he was a "Guest Judge" this week. So the producers had 5 judges + Nick on hand to reminisce with; probably the only time they'll have that many judges available at any time. With the ratings AGT has pulled in through the years, you'd think they would have been able to send a camera crew to film TH's with the Hoff or Sharon or the other old judges, but I guess they cheaped out (and/or didn't want to remind people of the past eras more than they had to). 

10 years really shows how tech and the show's flashiness has improved. Just seeing the early seasons in Standard Def was surprising, along with the small X's back then; I've completely forgotten how the show was back then. (Going HighDef must be the reason they could expand to 4 judges; to fill in the screen space. :P )

The clips were good picks all in all. A good view of the history of the show, and the hits and misses through the years. I FFed through some sections, but all in all, it seemed to be a good balance of past and recent; even if they focused a bit much on the current judges. At least Howie's been around long enough that he spans most of the show regardless. 

I was hoping they would show that elderly woman who played the organ with the same song over and over and over...they couldn't get rid of her...and she played badly for I believe 20 minutes straight. I'm also thinking Jerry Spriger was host then but I'm not 100% sure of that

• Love 1