Type keyword(s) to search

Watch A Scene From Sherlock's Victorian Christmas Special

Fun, but Moffat better not keep things at that level of cutesyness.

The Beebs is renegotiating its charter this year and may start charging licensing fees for iPlayer in order to recoup revenue losses from cord cutting, etc. Given that PBS was timely in releasing the clip and Comic Con greeting, there is some hope that they will continue to narrow the broadcast window like BBC America has done with Doctor Who. If that's the case, they do stream shows online at the Masterpiece website.

• Love 1

We're not sure yet.

It seems likely to be on the BBC on Christmas. At some point it will be released in theaters worldwide. And we are still waiting to hear when it will air on PBS/Masterpiece Theatre.

• Love 3

We are getting a new trailer tonight at (I think) 9 pm British time - after the GBBO.  Hopefully we'll find out the actual date of when it will air.

And you can see a brief glimpse of Sherlock-in-deerstalker at the show's Facebook page, with that promise of "a bit more" now.

Edited by rereader2

Considering its already October and it seems like its going be shown during the holidays, maybe we will get the actual date tonight.   Heh, though I know networks aren't known for thinking logically.

Do we know which story this special is based on? Or is it pure invention by the writers?

I still cannot figure out it.  I'm not an expert on the original stories but so far nothing as seen in the trailer seems familiar. 

Still no date though - grr. 

• Love 1

Although I still can't help but wish this were instead a continuation of the modern story we last saw nearly 2 years ago, it seems sleekly produced and high-energy: I'm sure it will be entertaining.

It's tough to get a sense of actual tone from these promos. I remember the promo for "The Empty Hearse" was super-duper serious with driving music like this, but that episode turned out to be much more sardonically humorous (and meta) than the promo would ever let on. In both clips, John seems kind of gruff and irritated with Sherlock, but this is only a few seconds out of 90 minutes, so who knows.

• Love 1

I actually bought a theater ticket when they went on sale on November 6 to see the special on the big screen on January 6. I hope I like it when I watch it on PBS on January 1, so that it's worth it to me to see it again. Anyone else opting for the theater experience? I can't believe it's been another 2 years for 90 minutes of show content. I picked the wrong favorite show.

What's everyone's theories about why this is Victorian? Moffat and Gatiss have apparently said some potentially conflicting things in interviews: that this is basically just a one-off au versus that it will explain the mystery of Moriarty's return. I've read theories that this is all a fantasy in Sherlock's mind palace, that it's John's dream after being injured, that it's Mycroft's mind palace, etc. I might be inclined to think that it was something like that one X-files episode that ... I don't remember exactly ... took place simultaneously in the past and the present on a ship (and Scully was like a different character in the past), but this seems to be all-Victorian from the previews

although there was one lone shooting day when Mary and John (and only them) were dressed in their last HLV outfits in a cemetery.

• Love 1

I don't know: the Moriarity connection was made by Gatiss before S4 was little more than a twinkle in his eye. I was basing the Moriarty speculation on this Radio Times interview, but that was from almost a year ago, so maybe things have changed, and like I've noted before, they are not exactly consistent in their comments about where the show is going.

The article said:

But after apparently shooting himself through the head at the end of the previous series, could Moriarty really still be alive?

(snip)

Whatever the answer, the Sherlock special – currently in pre-production and due to start shooting in January – will solve the mystery "completely", co-creator Mark Gatiss has assured me.

ITunes  news - there is a free app about the special available now and the special is now available for preorder (it will be available for download 1/7).  The DVD is also now available for preordering. 

• Love 1