Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

10 minutes ago, Chaser said:

No. They are still filming. I was thinking they may just wait until they go on break. 

Are they over their shoot time yet?  I'm pulling for this to happen. 

21 minutes ago, Chaser said:

No. They are still filming. I was thinking they may just wait until they go on break. 

Still filming what? I don't understand.

Principal filming for 508 ends today.  Yes, they will have 2nd units and pickups and inserts, etc that will film over the next couple of weeks. However, principal filming ends today according to the script cover.

They will have a party at some point, we know this, we just dont know when.

I was responding to Bkwurm1 about filming not being done yet. 

Since they are jumping into 3x09 right now, I thought  they make take a break after they filmed the mid season finale and have the party then. 

• Love 1

Almost put this in the spoiler thread, but I think I should put this here: 

I'm used to the official account and their selective retweeting, but the Arrow writers thing is bugging me.  No Olicity art--it doesn't have to be all, but it should be included--and when they live tweeted, they didn't mention Felicity even once on either viewing.  Every single other character got a shout out, including all the guest stars, but she wasn't even mentioned.  Clearly this is corporate mandate, but I'm unsure why.  Fade Felicity until lost viewers come back? Fade Felicity because she was overexposed?  Fade Felicity with plans to make her a background player?  Fade Felicity to kill her off and bring on Oliver's superhero love, the next Canary that Laurel asked him to train?  I don't know.

• Love 3

Technically they mentioned the loft scene... :-(

I don't know what is going on with Arrow right now. The Action Action Action promos don't bother me but it does feel different this year. Kind of off. Like something is going on BTS. I'm not sure if it is or if it's fandom that is so scattered right now. 

Echo is still chipper about Olicity, DR is still being pro Olicity, SA is still posting Olicity fanart and liking comments about hoping Oliver and Felicity get back together. The first episode laid some groundwork. The show may not be promoting it but it's clearly still there.

BTS just unsettling fandom right now. EBR is almost completely absent from Social Media. Echo was posting photos and snapchats all last season and that's dropped off a great deal. PB has posted maybe one photo from set.  I'm not really buying it's because of spoilers. Its just weird.

• Love 2

I like the action, action, action promos, too--its nice to see Oliver being the most skilled fighter in a room, even if I'm still on the fence on the killing thing.  But you highlighted how quiet the cast has been on social media--especially Emily--and perhaps the fact that they're not offsetting the official media makes it seem more glaring.  I don't necessarily think that there is negative intent towards Emily, but something is up.

• Love 1

Isn't Emily usually pretty quiet on social media when filming? Not that it means anything either way.

The biggest problem for me is all the action action action and i'm here wanting to see and hear about what my fave characters are up to, now and in the past few months. 

Sometimes it seems like the show thinks it needs to pick one extreme or the other.  But I remember 4A and a lot of people enjoyed that and how Olicity was portrayed, I know people who don't care either way for Olicity  but liked their portrayal in 4A.

Also I think that one of the reasons the action was so good in this first ep compared to others is because there weren't  597625476345 masks fighting at once, I think a smaller team makes for both better storytelling and fight sequences. 

• Love 8

This is super gossipy, so, take it as such -- but I've been told by someone who knows the ex it's one of the terms of the divorce settlement -- he legally can't reference marriage/wife or anything like that in the media.

• Love 1
Just now, bijoux said:

Does he talk about anything else but this relationship in the article? It's so weird.

I suppose he could be talking about 3 different exes? But I think the "long-term relationship" and the person he cried in front of are the same - he told a story about that on Girl on Guy - it...did not paint him in a very positive light, haha.

1 minute ago, Primal Slayer said:

He looks like he wants to die in that picture they have of him. I know he hates photoshoots but damN!

Which is funny because he's wearing his own clothes. Like, he rolled out of bed, stepped onto a set, had a few snaps taken and then left, lol. 

I can see where his ex might not want to be referenced.  I was reading an article once and someone posted all her information in the comments section, including her twitter handle.  I looked, I admit it.  She is a really impressive person, working in finance and president of a nonprofit organization that advocates for women's leadership and employment equality in Canada, and I can see why she might not want to be labeled "Stephen Amell's ex-wife".  She's also remarried with kids, another reason to keep the connection quiet.  Who knows what it was like behind closed doors, but my initial impression of that first marriage was "Wow, he married up."

• Love 2

Well, no offense to his wife but it seems as though he married the complete opposite of the first wife. And I, in no way, want to badmouth his marriage. Just thinking out loud. 

Edited by Belinea
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

.....it's been years and he is married to someone else..this interview is so weird to me, LOL.

It's odd to me, too. He's so "my wife, my kid" now. Did they actually interview him or just take quotes from old interviews he's done? Plus, dude's hot, there are better pics of him they could have used.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

It's odd to me, too. He's so "my wife, my kid" now. Did they actually interview him or just take quotes from old interviews he's done? Plus, dude's hot, there are better pics of him they could have used.

No idea..he mentioned her at the Larry King interview this summet too though so I wouldn't be surprised if the quotes were new. 

You know, I actually feel like I've seen this photo before. Maybe they didn't actally interview him? Because, honestly, three of the five answers are about his long ago ex. He's been married to his current wife since around the time Arrow started, right? It's been a really long time is what I'm saying.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I can see where his ex might not want to be referenced.  I was reading an article once and someone posted all her information in the comments section, including her twitter handle.  I looked, I admit it.  She is a really impressive person, working in finance and president of a nonprofit organization that advocates for women's leadership and employment equality in Canada, and I can see why she might not want to be labeled "Stephen Amell's ex-wife".  She's also remarried with kids, another reason to keep the connection quiet.  Who knows what it was like behind closed doors, but my initial impression of that first marriage was "Wow, he married up."

From that to out of work model.   That's a sort of progress. 

Also if I hear him mention Die Hard again, I'm gonna lose it. 

The photo looks similar to ones that were circulating with the turtles press and responding to most of the questions with some type of reference to past failed relationships seems odd.  

I knew it looked familiar. Thenks for going to the trouble of finding it.

I saw this on Twitter. Was it released in 2013 or only now? Cute stuff. Cool seeing OTA together, but weird grouping of CH and MB. Although I don't think it would have made more sense if Manu was put together with KC either. Also, her hair looks really good when it looked like crap at the beginning of S2 at least.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, kes0704 said:

The photo looks similar to ones that were circulating with the turtles press and responding to most of the questions with some type of reference to past failed relationships seems odd.  

Well it's also Cosmo. They are mostly writing about relationships and beauty stuff, right?  Though why the hell he would talk about his ex-wife at length and not his current one is beyond me. 

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, RussianRoulette said:

Though why the hell he would talk about his ex-wife at length and not his current one is beyond me. 

I know quite a few guys who are remarried and have kids who will regularly bring up their former girlfriends in conversations. With the guys I know, it is always an ego thing. They aren't over the fact that she left. It is not so much about the women but they still have trouble accepting that she left. 

That doesn't have to apply to him, not at all. Maybe he just gives rehearsed answers and they happen to include her. Or maybe those are recycled answers that fit with the interview. 

Some of the messages posted on Stephen's page about the lack of photos with Emily and Willa - that he responded to - make me kinda uncomfortable. I understand the frustration, but haven't we been here countless times already? These demands don't lead anywhere. :/

• Love 2

And quite frankly, they are unreasonable. The dude seems to be appearing where he's supposed to be when he's supposed to be and he's prepared. That means he's doing his job. These BTS photos are extras. If he wants to, he can post nothing at all or just selfies with random, insignificant guest-stars. Would I find this uninteresting? Of course. Doesn't mean he's obliged to do anything more or even what he's doing in this regard. He's not the PR department and neither are any of the cast. While I think it's wise for them to engage the fans in this manner, I don't think it should be taken for granted. 

• Love 10
6 hours ago, bijoux said:

I knew it looked familiar. Thenks for going to the trouble of finding it.

I saw this on Twitter. Was it released in 2013 or only now? Cute stuff. Cool seeing OTA together, but weird grouping of CH and MB. Although I don't think it would have made more sense if Manu was put together with KC either. Also, her hair looks really good when it looked like crap at the beginning of S2 at least.

That was released back in 2013, it's not new.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, bijoux said:

And quite frankly, they are unreasonable. The dude seems to be appearing where he's supposed to be when he's supposed to be and he's prepared. That means he's doing his job. These BTS photos are extras. If he wants to, he can post nothing at all or just selfies with random, insignificant guest-stars. Would I find this uninteresting? Of course. Doesn't mean he's obliged to do anything more or even what he's doing in this regard. He's not the PR department and neither are any of the cast. While I think it's wise for them to engage the fans in this manner, I don't think it should be taken for granted. 

Totally agree. I mean, I'd like to have more content like in S2 with short videos etc. Even last season's snapchat frenzy was fun. But he doesn't owe anything to anyone.

• Love 1

Owe is a bad word. It places expectations and restrictions on the content and makes the party asking come across as entitled. It can also come across as awkward and rude. 

I agree that SA doesn't owe the audience anything more than what he gives to the TV. 

That being said, fans asking for things is good. It shows passion and care. The instant fans stop asking or demanding is the moment they stop caring and I'm pretty SA knows that is way worse then rude questions. 

I'm curious to see if the ratings stay down and if that affects his social media. 

• Love 5

Stephen especially has always been pretty good about posting BTS content, so I don't think there's anything wrong with nicely letting him know what you'd like to see. Demanding it is bad, and yeah - some of those posts were out of line and uncomfortable. I just think it's a fandom-is-restless kind of thing and with offseason promotion the way it was, I can see why people might read a little too much into things as far as what he's posting to his social media is concerned (whether there's really anything worth reading into or not). 

• Love 12

Oh, I agree that asking is a good thing. I just meant that saying 'It would be nice to see a pic of you and Emily' and saying 'I promote your show, you post pics with anybody else while you should post pics with my fave to please me, that I'm a better fan' are different things :) 

• Love 1

Posting here because the video interview in this article is all about behind-the-scenes stuff (approx. 20 mins.) - also spoilers for 505 and 508...

The Guggenheim Brothers Offer a Look Inside a TV Writing Family Dynasty
OCTOBER 07, 2016 12:01pm PT by Lesley Goldberg
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/guggenheim-brothers-offer-a-look-936270

The trio, eldest brother Marc Guggenheim (The CW's Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow), middle child Eric Guggenheim (CBS' Hawaii Five-0)and youngest David Guggenheim (ABC's Designated Survivor), together oversee four hours of broadcast television every week.

-- MG mentioned title/subject of 505 of Arrow:

Human Target.

-- MG mentioned how CW shows can't compete ratings-wise with network shows because it's not network but all affiliates.  He also mentioned how CW shows like Arrow get pre-empted for sporting events, even sporting events that aren't aired on The CW.

-- MG said that they don't do outlines for Arrow and LoT. Instead, he said that they give them story areas and do an "internal beat sheet" which basically functions as their outline.  MG: "I think, just the distinction in my mind between a beat sheet and an outline is - an outline is basically a deliverable to the network and studio that you get notes on, whereas the beat sheet is purely for our own internal process." MG also said that, when he show runs, he's always telling the writers not to just give him the outline or beat sheet back in script form. He's a "really big believer that the real magic happens in the writing" and, if the writer of the episode isn't discovering something new in the writing of the script, there's something wrong.  He said that he's always discovering something new when he writes an episode.

-- MG said that the thing that American television does really well is the production value across the board, but that American television could be pushing the boundaries more.

-- When asked for a hint about Arrow's 100th episode (508), MG:

"I would love to hint something new, but I will say, we came up with a way to get - there are actors who we couldn't have in the episode because we couldn't make their schedules work, um, because they were busy off doing other things - [COUGH]Colin Donnell[COUGH]Chicago Med[COUGH] - um, uh, and if it works, I think we got a way to actually get them in the episode or at least represented in a way that sorta honors their participation in the previous 99 episodes. So I'm excited about that. It's a real love letter to the fans... It's everything a 100th episode should be. It also happens to be the middle episode of our three-part crossover. And it actually does, I think, a good job in both."

Edited by tv echo
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

--MG said that they don't do outlines for Arrow and LoT. Instead, he said that they give them story areas and do an "internal beat sheet" which basically functions as their outline.  MG: "I think, just the distinction in my mind between a beat sheet and an outline is - an outline is basically a deliverable to the network and studio that you get notes on, whereas the beat sheet is purely for our own internal process." MG also said that, when he show runs, he's always telling the writers not to just give him the outline or beat sheet back in script form. He's a "really big believer that the real magic happens in the writing" and, if the writer of the episode isn't discovering something new in the writing of the script, there's something wrong.  He said that he's always discovering something new when he writes an episode.

Reveal hidden contents

"I would love to hint something new, but I will say, we came up with a way to get - there are actors who we couldn't have in the episode because we couldn't make their schedules work, um, because they were busy off doing other things - [COUGH]Colin Donnell[COUGH]Chicago Med[COUGH] - um, uh, and if it works, I think we got a way to actually get them in the episode or at least represented in a way that sorta honors their participation in the previous 99 episodes. So I'm excited about that. It's a real love letter to the fans... It's everything a 100th episode should be. It also happens to be the middle episode of our three-part crossover. And it actually does, I think, a good job in both."

Please start outlining, Guggenheim.  Maybe then we wouldn't get lost plot points, a season's worth of plot crammed into the last three episodes, character motivations that change from episode to episode, and the wasteland that is episodes 11 - 17. 

Really, this does explain how he swings from "epic game changer" to "epic game changer",  plots that don't build on each other to create a satisfying season arc.

• Love 23