Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

So if that's Donna Smoak, rather than CR in her own sweater and leather pants, does being more covered up mean that she is or isn't doing it with Quentin?

Speaking of cons, Galaxy Quest was on AMC last night and it really is hilarious on its take on the actors and their reactions to doing cons. The fans come up and ask questions identifying the episode by its number and the actors look clueless, as Jesse Martin said, they have no idea what scene was in what episode. (It's a move that deserves more love.)  There is also a scene where they have to go through "the chompers" and one character says "that was a poorly written episode" which made me think of this board.

• Love 2

The difference to me is the that GG doesn't have to do extra promotion for himself or for his character because it's his show. The network does all the promoting for him. EBR not going to cons gives the impression she doesn't care enough to promote her character, which, given that she's just supporting, could benefit from more coverage.

For the record, I don't think that EBR should do cons just because her fans want her to. She doesn't owe anyone anything. It's just that in *this* case (and I'm not going to count Louisville because we don't know if she was even invited) it looks really odd when the whole cast goes and she doesn't.

It occurs to me that since EBR isn't very comfortable doing Cons and yet knows that her fans would like her to do more, she's in a position where if she does choose to go to a con, she will be disappointing and possibly pissing off fans that aren't geographically close to whatever one she does go to.  By not doing any, no one can really feel slighted but even doing one, opens the doors to demands and extra pressure.

The upside for her not being on the con scene now is once Arrow ends, she can be sure that if she's ever between gigs and needs to make some quick money, she will be in demand simply since she hasn't been around before. 

So if that's Donna Smoak, rather than CR in her own sweater and leather pants, does being more covered up mean that she is or isn't doing it with Quentin?

Two thoughts, it's suppose to be at least late December so wearing warmer clothing in general makes sense in Vancouver, err Star City. I mean, she's still wearing tight leather pants.  Donna is still sharing her personality in that outfit. 

My other thought goes to the guys that LOVE the low cut dresses when they meet you and then freak out when they realize that all the other guys get to see the low cut dresses as well.  I'd hope Quentin isn't like that though.  Maybe just being in a relationship with a man that appreciates more than just her more blatant assets lets Donna feel confident enough to modify her wardrobe.  At least when visiting her seriously injured daughter (we assume ) in the hospital. 

Two thoughts, it's suppose to be at least late December so wearing warmer clothing in general makes sense in Vancouver, err Star City. I mean, she's still wearing tight leather pants.  Donna is still sharing her personality in that outfit. 

My other thought goes to the guys that LOVE the low cut dresses when they meet you and then freak out when they realize that all the other guys get to see the low cut dresses as well.  I'd hope Quentin isn't like that though.  Maybe just being in a relationship with a man that appreciates more than just her more blatant assets lets Donna feel confident enough to modify her wardrobe.  At least when visiting her seriously injured daughter (we assume ) in the hospital. 

Coming from a colder climate, I actually appreciate when people can look sexy without having an excessive amount of skin showing esp in the winter. So I am all for MamaSmoak wearing a tight sweater and some leather pants. That is sexy & weather appropriate. I also work in a hospital, I see enough naked people as a job requirement, so I really appreciate when the visitors wear clothes that cover their assets at least a little. 

Regarding Sexy Layered Clothing - One of my fav quotes came from John Krasinski which I can't find now basically said that he loved when saw sexy girls bundled up but in nicely fitting sweaters and warmer clothes, because he imagined how much fun he would have removing those layers. He is a wise man. He also grew up near my hometown, so he knew its not always possible to be half naked esp in the dead of winter. I can't even tell you how many times I almost got frostbite when I was younger because its hard to go out in the winter in proper layers, esp if the bar/club did not have coat check. Now I'm older and layer appropriately most of the time.

I doubt that her wardrobe modification is coming from QL.

This is one of the best and funniest Arrow related things I have read in awhile:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTeAGLYXAAQ1TEe.jpg:large

By: @sanetsays

That is hilarious! Don't know if it had shown up before but I'd seen that in a Twitter exchange between a fan and Beth Schwarz about needing to take Thursday off after the Olicity feels of Wednesday night. Antonio Negret either quoted or retweeted it, too.

Maybe just being in a relationship with a man that appreciates more than just her more blatant assets lets Donna feel confident enough to modify her wardrobe.  At least when visiting her seriously injured daughter (we assume ) in the hospital.

I really hope Quentin isn't the kind of guy to make her moderate her wardrobe.  For me, that would be worse than going after The Arrow.

I was thinking that given Donna's comments about what looks good on Felicity and how her skirts should be shorter, her definition of what is  "appropriate wear" differs from other people's.

• Love 1

https://twitter.com/JamesBamford/status/665722429113630720

Here is the tweet if anyone is interested.

Loving the responses asking for the definition of 'real' girl power.

Didn't this guy have some problematic behavior when he worked on Stargate?

Such a stupid comment to tweet.  Especially "real," because that just makes people question what "fake" girl power he's dissing.  Oh, and generally speaking men should really rethink using "girl" to refer to adult women.  I'm not always against it, but context matters.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 6

It's a harmless tweet about Thea/Laurel potentially kicking some ass. If he had said "Felicity will demonstrate the real definition of girl power"  I don't think I would see the same response.

If he didn't say "real girl power" I don't think anyone would've cared. 

But with the inclusion of "real girl power" it was just alienating and sort of sexist. 

• Love 11

It seems like the general consensus is that he is dissing Felicity but I don't see it like that. 

To each their own... IMO it's not really about Felicity for me. Tt's dissing the fact that you don't need to 'kick ass' to be strong or the 'definition of real girl power'. That comment just irked me. 

• Love 9

He talked about DR in 4x07 and then people asked if he could tease more. He tweeted the one about Thea and Laurel and then one about Lance showing 'real bravery.' I think he was trying to be clever with the 'real.' But it backfired because of the implication.

It seems like the general consensus is that he is dissing Felicity but I don't see it like that. 

I don't care that he didn't mention Felicity. Anyone who checks out his SM knows he is a big fan of all the action/mask roles. He is the stunt dude so I understand. But I don't like to be told BY A MAN what makes REAL GIRL POWER especially when it is the stereotypical male fantasy of what is considered strong female.

• Love 23

I doubt he takes it that seriously and is trying to tell everyone that "this is REAL girl power!" dude is just excited from my view.

His tweet about PB/Lance just shows that he isn't trying to tell us to think his way or the high way, I doubt he really thinks that Oliver has never shown real bravery.

Edited by Primal Slayer

To be fair, though, Moira would have rocked the crap out of leather and a mask.

He needs to concentrate on his regular job, since the stunts have sucked since the beginning of S3.  I'll never forget the total fail of the final OQ/RAG fight that looked, to the extent you could see any of it, like two 80-year-old arthritic dudes play-fighting in the dark in matching black outfits.  And the big sword thrust to RAG's side that 100% missed.  One of the worst "climactic" fights I've ever seen, and I am a huge action movie/tv fan.

• Love 11

It was an idiotic statement/tweet at best. He could have praised them just as well by saying "BC and Speedy will be front & center in action this week". Or "BC and Speedy demonstrate their Superhero fighting skills" or "BC and Speedy will be kicking some serious ass this week",  anything other than using his narrow minded view of what equates to a definition of "real girl power" which obviously means not a woman but a "girl in a mask". 

He might have meant well but he came off like an a-hole!

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 11

I doubt he takes it that seriously and is trying to tell everyone that "this is REAL girl power!" dude is just excited from my view.

I don't think he meant any type of social statement either. It probably never even occurred to him how that tweet would come across. Doesn't mean I shouldn't be any less offended by it.

Sadly, it becomes a Felicity fan v Laurel fan and therefore gets shrugged off.

ETA: Sorry if this sounds snippy. I'm just kind of tired of this general attitude.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 15

I don't think he meant any type of social statement either. It probably never even occurred to him how that tweet would come across. Doesn't mean I shouldn't be any less offended by it.

THIS - you are right about how ever he might have meant it "doesn't mean I shouldn't be any less offended by it". I see this is as a lesson for him. I am sure everyone knows that social media can be your best friend or your worst enemy so maybe you should think carefully before you hit that send button. 

I didn't see it as a Laurel vs Felicity thing because he also included Thea, I saw it as him being dismissive (whether he meant it or not) of other women who contribute on the show just because they don't wear a mask. He's the stunt coordinator and I'm sure he works more frequently with those 2. But should he really try to make a comparison between the "girls" in mask versus what the "women" Lyla and Felicity contribute as well. Yes I'm making emphasis on "girls" because I've never seen anyone refer to Arrow, Diggle or any other masked male as "real boy power". Yes that "real girl power" peeves me off with the passion of 1K burning suns! He's a man why would he think its right to project his male view about what "real girl power" is (getting riled again)? 

I think if you are involved in any aspect of the show then you have to be fairly neutral and fair in your promotion. That is sometimes why I feel for poor Stephen cause I know he has to walk a fine line in how he answers questions or even his interactions with the female members of the cast versus the male members of the cast. So someone needs to school James. Perception is a beast.

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 6

I feel like we're in 2015, nearly 2016, and people know better than this.  If you're born and raised in the US, and you're not very young, very old, or very socially isolated, you should know better.  That goes for this douchey tweet, SA's various douchey tweets/FB postings, and KC's idiotic Halloween costume.  I just can't buy into the argument that they don't know better...they either DO know better, or they really SHOULD know better.  I mean, they have tvs and internet, for goodness' sake.

• Love 5

Yes. The spice girls made it popular in the late 90s. Times have changed. We should try to aim higher, females hold some powerful positions in all industries all across the world. I would cringe if anyone referenced their accomplishments as girl power.

It's the inherent sexism of using the words girl and real. It's just rubs me and feminism the wrong way. I don't see it as a dig against FS. But it does feel like it diminishes females. Don't think he intended it that way, but that's how it came out. When will people realize social media is not an easy skill to master. They really need to get a pr/social media consultant as part of the annual training at the CW.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 8

If Boy Power was as popular as GIrl Power was I am sure that Diggle etc.. would be referred to as such. Spice GIrls made the term popular and it has stuck .

I'm not sure I understand this... 

The reason why the whole "Girl Power" thing is an issue is that Bamford used it in a way that excludes every woman that isn't a fighter. In society nowadays, a lot of people seem to believe that women kicking ass = being strong. That is the issue at hand. People don't understand that you don't need to fight in order to have "Girl Power". You shouldn't be sending out that message to anyone. So when Bamford tweeted that, he was being ignorant of the fact that you can have "Girl Power" in a million different ways. His definition of "Girl Power" was too narrow and excluded a lot of definitions of 'strong'. 

Men don't suffer from this issue so "Boy Power" is a moot point.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 20

If he'd used the exact same phrase to describe Felicity using her tech skills, no one would care just like they didn't when EBR pulled that, "Not like other girls" crap last season.

I would sitll be upset with him for using the term "real girl power" to only refer to one type of "power". Because Thea, Laurel, Felicity, Lyla all have "girl power" in that they are female and powerful. It wasn't the term "girl power" that upset people, it was the term "real girl power" and only associating it with two female characters. 

Now I might not be remembering right, but I can't recall EBR ever saying something about "not like other girls"? Do you have a link to this interview or know when/where it was from? 

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 2

If he'd used the exact same phrase to describe Felicity using her tech skills, no one would care just like they didn't when EBR pulled that, "Not like other girls" crap last season.

I'm curious. What did EBR say?

To be fair and hopefully I don't sound rude saying this, I don't care for anyone to tell me how I'd feel about things. So please refrain from doing that. I hate the phrase. I hate it being exclusionary. So please don't assume things you don't know. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 11

Could you please elaborate.

I'm trying to find the quote because I only vaguely remember it.

IIRC, she was talking about the appeal of Felicity and how she isn't like other girls. I think she was referring to Felicity's look (glasses and ponytail). 

I wish I could find the interview to refresh my memory, esp if I'm wrong.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 1

All I remember is an Andrew Kreisberg interview. He said he asked EBR what she thought made Felicity stand out, and he quoted her saying the "not like other girls" line. That said, EBR has given several interviews where she's been asked what makes Felicity special or a fan favorite, and in the ones I've seen & read she has never used that line. Considering who quoted her, I don't trust it. So unless someone can actually come up with an interview, where EBR herself said that, it's all hearsay. From every interview I've seen/read, EBR has great insight into who Felicity is &  gives well thought out answers. However, if I'm wrong, I'd love the link.

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 4

I have read some of the tweets and the Laurel fans are trying to call out the Felicity fans not sure if the Thea fans are even commenting. People are tweeting things that are a bit harsh. I didn't take his tweet as "Laurel vs Felicity" as much as him being dismissive of Felicity and Lyla because they don't have masks, are not classified as "superhero" (by his terminology I'm sure), or saying Lyla or Felicity don't kick ass and aren't a part of "real girl power" because they fail to put on masks. Someone even said if he hadn't included Katie in the tweet he wouldn't be getting as much blow back, I'm not sure of that. Some are singling it out that way but most are not.

It's unfortunate IMO that some are not seeing the error with what he said.

I'm trying to find the quote because I only vaguely remember it.

IIRC, she was talking about the appeal of Felicity and how she isn't like other girls. I think she was referring to Felicity's look (glasses and ponytail). 

I wish I could find the interview to refresh my memory, esp if I'm wrong.

Wasn'it that he was commenting that the Arrow, the Flash and the Atom were all in love with her, and she said "I think it works because I don't look like what one would normally expect for that" (or something like that)?

Or I'm mixing up interviews.

• Love 1

I have read some of the tweets and the Laurel fans are trying to call out the Felicity fans not sure if the Thea fans are even commenting. People are tweeting things that are a bit harsh. I didn't take his tweet as "Laurel vs Felicity" as much as him being dismissive of Felicity and Lyla because they don't have masks, are not classified as "superhero" (by his terminology I'm sure), or saying Lyla or Felicity don't kick ass and aren't a part of "real girl power" because they fail to put on masks. Someone even said if he hadn't included Katie in the tweet he wouldn't be getting as much blow back, I'm not sure of that. Some are singling it out that way but most are not.

It's unfortunate IMO that some are not seeing the error with what he said.

I honestly feel its an example of Fans are Smart, Fandom is Stupid.

I'm sure many see the error in what he said, but when it becomes about favorites the logic is thrown out the window. All people see is a chance to put their fav above another. It happens in every fandom, on every side.

Wasn'it that he was commenting that the Arrow, the Flash and the Atom were all in love with her, and she said "I think it works because I don't look like what one would normally expect for that" (or something like that)?

Or I'm mixing up interviews.

It could be that one. 

Edited by 10Eleven12

I vaguely remember that interview, and I was taken back a bit by that comment. But in the context of the show (and not real life) Felicity isn't the Gorgeous Girl Guys Fight Over. Not like Elena or Caroline, Joey Potter, Serena van der Woodsen, etc. So I let it go a bit. Felicity in the show is the "nerdy girl", so the idea that it is Felicity, who works in IT and rambles, that has 3 Superheroes/male leads interested in her was something different to TV I guess? The show gave her the She's All That moment in season one, so in the show up until that point, she wasn't supposed to be seen as "Gorgeous" (Laurel was the Gorgeous one, as "Gorgeous Laurel" was a phrase used once or twice in the first season). 

• Love 2