Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Well, he didn't even necessarily "lose" to her. She hit him in the back with a knife while he was distracted, and it's not like he was gonna make a move on her while she could get him in the spine.

A knife in the spine while being garroted is not losing?  And why was he so distracted that he didn't notice her cutting her way out of the wire and then sneaking over?  Fighting is the whole thing, not just the actual throwing of punches.  

• Love 3

A knife in the spine while being garroted is not losing? And why was he so distracted that he didn't notice her cutting her way out of the wire and then sneaking over? Fighting is the whole thing, not just the actual throwing of punches.

He made a mistake (as people do) because he was distracted. She took advantage of it by hitting him in a place where he couldn't fight back, and she was a small woman probably trained to do exactly what she did. So, losing isn't the right word, just that IMO it seemed more to me like she got lucky and took advantage (which happens) instead of Oliver being dumbed down. This particular instance isn't a big deal to me? Not like him losing to Lonnie Machin.

Sure, he made a mistake and got distracted (by nothing in particular, really), which he didn't do in seasons 1-3.  Then he apparently couldn't get himself out of it and had to rely on Quentin's speechifying to convince the criminal cop, who'd murdered two other cops, to have a moment and let him go.  He's very lucky Quentin is so convincing.

The problem isn't really any particular loss, it's the trend.  He failed to catch Lonnie Machin, then he lost to him (and he already knew he had the cattle prod, he mentioned it earlier in the episode, so he should have been ready for it).  He lost to Double Down on his own, although I'm pretty okay with that because he got himself out of it.  Then he lost to the whole group of bad cops, in fact his whole team did, when he could take on multiple LOA guys last season and beat them all.  THEN he was distracted, garroted, and held with a knife by the solo cop.  

Also, why did the kevlar hold for the knife-like playing card, but not the actual knife?  It clearly went right through the suit (there was a close-up shot).

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 5

He got distracted by freeing Quentin and telling him to get out of there. That's literally as long as it took. But I think we're probably at agree to disagree at this point.

I guess so, because I really don't see how the guy who beat Deathstroke and Ra's al Ghul now being beaten by C-list Batman villains and female cops isn't a reduction of his overall abilities.  And it's a trend I hope does not continue.

• Love 6

I guess so, because I really don't see how the guy who beat Deathstroke and Ra's al Ghul now being beaten by C-list Batman villains and female cops isn't a reduction of his overall abilities.  And it's a trend I hope does not continue.

Not to belabour the point you're making, but in Season 1 they crafted him a remake of the famous corridor scene from Oldboy, complete with final perspective shot of Oliver in the foreground and an entire corridor of beaten up dudes in the background. He didn't even break a sweat for that one.

In the same season, while dosed on Vertigo, he took out all the Count's minions without a bow.

I'd like that Oliver back please.

• Love 24

Also, why did the kevlar hold for the knife-like playing card, but not the actual knife?  It clearly went right through the suit (there was a close-up shot).

I asked a friend about this. A bullet comes out flat once it is fired. He said that a knife or anything pointy will not be stopped by Kevlar.

• Love 1

Not to belabour the point you're making, but in Season 1 they crafted him a remake of the famous corridor scene from Oldboy, complete with final perspective shot of Oliver in the foreground and an entire corridor of beaten up dudes in the background. He didn't even break a sweat for that one.

In the same season, while dosed on Vertigo, he took out all the Count's minions without a bow.

I would like that Oliver back too, mainly because it's his show, we know he can fight and how good of a fighter he is. But the team is now some sort of Halloween party and in order for others to look good, Oliver either gets beaten or just stands there.Huge improvement on the quality of the fight scenes? Obviously not, so what's the point? 

• Love 10

Oliver: "I don't need the bow."

Such a great scene.  And yeah, the Walter rescue scene was SO FANTASTIC.

I asked a friend about this. A bullet comes out flat once it is fired. He said that a knife or anything pointy will not be stopped by Kevlar.

But the playing cards basically were flying knives?  

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 2

I took it as he doesn't want to highlight anything that says "almost got killed by a regular cop", considering cop killings is a current hot button.

This is honestly where my first thought went to.

But, I think it could be a meta that he is upset with how is kickass action has been reduced as other people said for reasons.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

This is honestly where my first thought went to.

But, I think it could be a meta that he is upset with how is kickass action has been reduced as other people said for reasons.

It was a corrupt cop that had killed other cops.  It's about as far from the controversy of police using unwarranted force on suspects as it can be. I doubt that's where Amell's mind was going, especially since the complaint implied by the meme was there is no way he should have lost to Lady cop but yeah, he's a team player and probably trying to pretend that dumbing down Oliver's fighting to make the newbies look good isn't driving him nuts. 

I'd be surprised if he hasn't had a few "conversations" about this subject already. 

• Love 4

It was a corrupt cop that had killed other cops.  It's about as far from the controversy of police using unwarranted force on suspects as it can be. I doubt that's where Amell's mind was going, especially since the complaint implied by the meme was there is no way he should have lost to Lady cop but yeah, he's a team player and probably trying to pretend that dumbing down Oliver's fighting to make the newbies look good isn't driving him nuts. 

I'd be surprised if he hasn't had a few "conversations" about this subject already. 

Agreed. However, currently in our society, there is a lot of tension around cops, cop brutality, cop killing, racial tension etc. That my mind when I see a meme like that it can go to a more political place, especially if people are discussing it. Over the weekend this thread was having a thoughtful conversation about Cultural appropriation. On the QL thread, we have discussed his violation of the Police code of ethics/law. I think it honestly also depends on your headspace when you encounter the conversation. My mind was in a more real life, political and social justice place than an ARROW place when I first saw the meme. Which it why I edited my post 10 min later to say it probably was show related and not sociopolitically related once my headspace stepped out of real life and back into analyzing a TV show.

• Love 1

I could be wrong, but I think it's highly unlikely that the dude who just went "Not all Texans!!11!!!" on Twitter just a month ago gave any kind of thought to the social/political climate regarding law enforcement. I think he just didn't want to publicly agree that he thought that plotline was stupid.

• Love 14

I could be wrong, but I think it's highly unlikely that the dude who just went "Not all Texans!!11!!!" on Twitter just a month ago gave any kind of thought to the social/political climate regarding law enforcement. I think he just didn't want to publicly agree that he thought that plotline was stupid.

Yep.

FYI, I've posted some nice EBR mentions in Brooklyn reviews in the Arrow Stars in Other Roles thread (page 14)...

Emily Bett Rickards ‏@EmilyBett
It's true! Wear stylish eye protection and GO SEE BROOKLYN! #brooklynmovie @eve__francesca And I will be proud of you @foxsearchlight
https://instagram.com/p/9rUOnQiKbj/
12:46 PM - 4 Nov 2015

https://twitter.com/EmilyBett/status/662007956561600517

11934614_537536109729302_255384462_n.jpg

Edited by tv echo

If I didn't know any better, I'd suspect she's pulling a Colton Haynes. Wishful thinking, I know.

Oh, me too.  Her last three set photos have been old, and I'm not 100 percent convinced that the picture with Amell is new. Has there been a picture of her on set since the one with Grant Gustin in the crossover?  I feel like they were shooting some out of order so it is hard to keep track.

• Love 1

Oh, me too.  Her last three set photos have been old, and I'm not 100 percent convinced that the picture with Amell is new. Has there been a picture of her on set since the one with Grant Gustin in the crossover?  I feel like they were shooting some out of order so it is hard to keep track.

The one with SA seems to have a connection to one of the places Arrow was shooting at a couple days ago, so that one could be recent. 

But yeah, it probably doesn't mean anything other than she probably takes a lot of sellfies at once and posts them whenever.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 2