Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

This quote from the Vice article linked to above struck me:

"Back in the day, we were mocked for looking different. Now, so many young girls want to emulate the look and have no idea of the cultural background or street politics associated with it," says Hellabreezy. "It's easy for young privileged girls to want to have the look, but when they are done dressing up in their 'chola costume,' they don't have to go back home to the hood and deal with discrimination, violence, and poverty... We can't just brush the Aquanet off our hair, take our hoops off, and go back to normal suburban life like they can because this is our reality. We live this every day."

KC's probably not a bad person or racist. She's just not aware of the connotations that go along with dressing in such a manner. I hope she figures it out and moves on accordingly. 

• Love 3

If it's a general style it's not also an offensive stereotype.  Dressing in the 90s how everyone dressed in the 90s is not dressing like an offensive cultural stereotype.  It's dressing how everyone else is dressing.  She didn't intentionally dress like that in the sense that she intentionally put those clothes/that makeup on, she intentionally dressed like that as in she chose a current culturally-insensitive and offensive stereotype and she made up a whole costume that embodied that stereotype, had pictures of herself dressed like that posted, and then entitled those pictures "Thug for life yo."

We're talking in circles. She wore a cultural insensitive costume. She probably is ignorant as to why it is insulting & offensive. She also made it pretty clear that her intention was to be a "Thug for life yo", not the most politically or culturally aware statement. She wasn't the first or the last celebrity & non-celebrity to probably make the same mistake this Halloween or any Halloween. She needs to be educated about cultural insensitivity, but so do a lot of people. I hope she and other learn from their mistakes and the world becomes a better place. But unfortunately, we or some entertainment website will capture people making a similar mistake year after year. Her behavior is what it is, I'm disappointed in it, but there is nothing I can really do about it. She was wrong, I hope she learns & truly understands why so she doesn't make the same mistake again.

• Love 3

I'm guessing KC probably has no idea what cultural appropriation is, and probably hasn't given much thought to why dressing like that and tweeting about "thug life" is wrong and offensive. Hopefully someone in her life sits her down and explains it to her - like Colton, who didn't know better once upon a time.

• Love 4

And now she's saying someone hacked her twitter.  I guess they also photoshopped her into an offensive costume.

I don't know why we can't just say something someone does is shitty.  IMO it was a shitty thing for her to do, and I don't believe she didn't have a clue it was a shitty thing to do.  I didn't give SA a pass for his shittiness that was a lot less thought out than a whole Halloween costume, so I am certainly not giving KC a pass.

• Love 7

And now she's saying someone hacked her twitter.  I guess they also photoshopped her into an offensive costume.

I don't know why we can't just say something someone does is shitty.  IMO it was a shitty thing for her to do, and I don't believe she didn't have a clue it was a shitty thing to do.  I didn't give SA a pass for his shittiness that was a lot less thought out than a whole Halloween costume, so I am certainly not giving KC a pass.

I think she's claiming that the multiple RTs were a hack - her original tweet is still there. 

I think what she did was shitty, but I do think it was borne out of ignorance. Much like SA's initial Twitter shittiness, which got worse when people pointed it out, and he doubled down and got even shittier about it. 

As for KC, it was a shitty, stupid costume, and I hope someone points that out to her. 

Is she referring to that though? She hasn't taken the tweet/pic down.

Judging by the comments, 95% of which is complimentary from other people who apparently don't know/don't care about cultural appropriation, she's not going to get educated. 

I'm just... ugh. I don't know why I'm surprised that she (and a big section of society) are not aware, really. I was at a college football game yesterday and two white frat boys were dressed as geisha, facepaint and everything. At UC FUCKING BERKELEY, the bastion of social awareness. But hey, at least most people know that blackface is wrong.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 4

You would think with how easy it is to share on all social media platforms at once, that they would make it easy to delete something from all of them at once. Though deleting things is so useless when your celeb since the internet remembers all.

tumblr_nx1zimISMD1s239dso1_500.png

james2bambamford: @katiecassidy and I in a very happy moment. Strange considering the subject matter, and intensity of the scene we had just shot that day……it’s coming….#Arrow episode 4.07…..season 4 is exploding into your life and there’s not a damn thing you can do about it.

I have a feeling the cast knew how offensive KC's 'costume' was. There was a bunch of photos from the party. KC was the only one who didn't have photos with cast mates or other actors. A friend of theirs gave a shout out to the other costumes but left hers out.

Thanks EBR for having the least offensive costume possible. What is GG?

• Love 2

If I wanted to read into Arrow cast social media, today would be the day. KC posted something wrong! DR - Fav that tweet! Crap it didn't work! KC - delete and cover with a bunch of tweets and photos! EBR - go on a tweet spree! Distraction is key folks. 

• Love 3

KC's recent tweet:

@Kerritweetz @themerriberri aww man, I'm sorry you guys. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

She also started following Caslos Valdes on twitter.

Not that they are related actions at all.

• Love 5

If I wanted to read into Arrow cast social media, today would be the day. KC posted something wrong! DR - Fav that tweet! Crap it didn't work! KC - delete and cover with a bunch of tweets and photos! EBR - go on a tweet spree! Distraction is key folks. 

I don't think EBR's tweet activity is connected. Looks like her friends flew out for Halloween. She's definitely more active on Twitter when they're around. (Carina also posted an Instagram video of them at a restaurant, I think) 

I'm not going to comment on the costume because no, I'm not getting dragged into that mess. But Katie is being patient as hell because people are blowing up her twitter with the worst stuff and I'm so proud that she's not engaging in that negativity and is steering clear. Unlike some other cast members might have.

• Love 2

I don't think EBR's tweet activity is connected. Looks like her friends flew out for Halloween. She's definitely more active on Twitter when they're around. (Carina also posted an Instagram video of them at a restaurant, I think) 

I don't actually think it is connected either. DR's possibly, but not EBR's tweets.

I'm not going to comment on the costume because no, I'm not getting dragged into that mess. But Katie is being patient as hell because people are blowing up her twitter with the worst stuff and I'm so proud that she's not engaging in that negativity and is steering clear. Unlike some other cast members might have.

I've been trying to type out a response to this and it's been stop and go. Her behavior was offensive and she got called out on it. Acknowledging her mistake is not engaging in negativity, it's being a decent human being. Are some fans going at her in a horrible way? Probably. But that is no excuse for her behavior. 

SA has nothing to do with this situation. It reads, you can't talk bad about KC because SA did this. Two separate incidents, two separate people.

• Love 10

I've been trying to type out a response to this and it's been stop and go. Her behavior was offensive and she got called out on it. Acknowledging her mistake is not engaging in negativity, it's being a decent human being. Are some fans going at her in a horrible way? Probably. But that is no excuse for her behavior.

SA has nothing to do with this situation. It reads, you can't talk bad about KC because SA did this. Two separate incidents, two separate people.

I didn't say it was? I didn't say or imply any of that. I personally feel that her saying that she didn't mean to offend anyone is enough on her half. It's short and to the point. And even after she posted that people are still giving her crap. I don't care what Katie did, just because she's a semi well known actress I don't think she deserves people going at her on her twitter, but if you do that's cool.

I was merely stating that other people in her shoes would react differently. Specifically I think Stephen would have handled the same situation poorly. And I think I'm completely allowed to mention how he recently had a bad time on twitter and handled it poorly whole thus far Katie hasn't.

• Love 1

KC's twitter was blowing up for hours. She was tweeting about football. She didn't tweet out addressing the problem, she replied to a tweet. She said she was sorry she offended someone. She didn't acknowledge that what she did was wrong. She deleted the photo from twitter and her IG, but kept it on Facebook. In my opinion, she could have put in more of an effort.

• Love 6

Well KC did say she was hacked :p

ALthough it doesn't solve the issue considering no one hacked into HER and made her wear that inappropriate outfit. 

Or maybe they did, OMG. and my theory that she's been replaced by a robot after the filming of 1x18 is real...

LEAVE ME TO MY DREAMS.

• Love 7

I'm actually really surprised and unimpressed by how much KC's costume is being defended. It was deeply offensive and racist. She might not have thought so, she probably didn't have any clue because a lot of people are ignorant about these things, but that doesn't make it any less offensive. And while I'm glad she's not engaging with haters on twitter, blocking people simply for telling her (quite politely too) why her costume was offensive is just gross and wrong. She should have just said "I didn't mean to offend, I wasn't educated on this, I'll do better" and end of story but she didn't. 

Why do celebs keep being so disappointing? Ugh.

Program schedule for Louisville Comic-Con...

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 7TH:

2:30PM - 3:15PM STARS OF ARROW (CASCADE BC)
They won’t fail the city, come join the heroes and villain of Star City: Stephen Amell, John Barrowman, David Ramsey, Katie Cassidy and Paul Blackthorne in this once in a lifetime Wizard World Q&A opportunity!

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 8TH:

1:00PM - 1:45PM UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL WITH JOHN BARROWMAN (CASCADE BC)
Jumping from Torchwood’s Captain Jack Harkness to Arrow’s Malcolm Meryln, John Barrowman is always caught in the action! Come join us to experience this unique Q&A session at Wizard World Comic Con!

2:00PM - 2:45PM PROTECTING STAR CITY WITH STEPHEN AMELL (CASCADE BC)

Stephen Amell has many hobbies including shooting arrows and catching bad guys or wearing a hockey mask and catching bad guys. Stephen takes a break from catching bad guys to answer all your Arrow and TMNT 2 related questions in this Wizard World Q&A.

Source: http://www.wizardworld.com/programming-louisville.html

Edited by tv echo

Someone posted this on SA's Meme Monday and here's what he wrote in reply.

What does that even mean? 

I like to think that he agrees with what we've been complaining about in the new episodes - that everyone can take Oliver Queen down nowadays. He just can't say it openly because he can't be critical of the show which is his bread and butter? Maybe?

I mean, in the episode when he provoked Thea into losing it and attacking him, I gave the excuse that he lost on purpose, because he didn't want to hurt his sister.

But in the latest one? Come the fuck on, people. Rutina Wesley is tiny, and she's holding him on a fricking leash. What the actual fuck. I get that flashback!Oliver is getting darker while Season 4 Oliver is getting lighter - I just never realised that New!Oliver was meant to be a pushover.

• Love 20

I like to think that he agrees with what we've been complaining about in the new episodes - that everyone can take Oliver Queen down nowadays. He just can't say it openly because he can't be critical of the show which is his bread and butter? Maybe?

This is exactly what I think it means.

• Love 5

I mean, in the episode when he provoked Thea into losing it and attacking him, I gave the excuse that he lost on purpose, because he didn't want to hurt his sister.

But in the latest one? Come the fuck on, people. Rutina Wesley is tiny, and she's holding him on a fricking leash. What the actual fuck. I get that flashback!Oliver is getting darker while Season 4 Oliver is getting lighter - I just never realised that New!Oliver was meant to be a pushover.

ITA I think he along with the audience is tired of seeing kick-ass Oliver keep getting his ass handed to him by the least bad guy in the room. I understand they want a different version of Oliver (they keep it up some will start saying his being with Felicity is making him soft) but this is TOTALLY RIDICULOUS IMO. How do you go from season 1-3 BADASS Oliver to let me meditate on that while you kick my ass Oliver in Season 4. You can have a tonal change in the character while still keeping his skills in tact.

I get the show is trying to make the others not look bad by having Oliver be a one man Rambo fighting machine but I do think they have crossed the line. Stephen may be a company guy but I'm sure this right here is just the tip of the iceberg in his frustration with his action portrayal this season. Stephen loves action and I think he really loved ALL the action scenes Oliver pulled off. He has to be both mad and disappointed with the direction they have take action Oliver this season, I know I am!

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 4

The DC Collectibles Felicity Smoak Action Figure is selling out fast (thanks to Smoak & Arrow for pointing this out!)...

The WB Shop is out of stock:
http://www.wbshop.com/product/arrow+tv+series+felicity+smoak+action+figure+arwdcfig08.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn

The DC Entertainment Shop is out of stock:
http://www.shopdcentertainment.com/product/arrow+tv+series+felicity+smoak+action+figure+arwdcfig08.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=Search

Amazon has less than 10 left in stock:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/188-9166673-4692952?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dc+collectibles+felicity+smoak

So here's hoping Funko releases their Felicity Smoak POP figure soon.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I took it as he doesn't want to highlight anything that says "almost got killed by a regular cop", considering cop killings is a current hot button.

I doubt he thought that deeply about it, but he does seem to agree with the overall sentiment of the original post, which is that OQ could be beaten by a fluffy bunny at this point, and that it's inconsistent with past characterization of his fighting competence.

• Love 4

It was a problem they would've run into eventually but didnt really think of. How do they keep the intensity up if Oliver can reasonably beat the villain of the week in 2 minutes. Though i didn't have a problem with him losing to Rutinas character, just because she is a cop doesn't mean she isn't a badass one who can handle someone like Oliver.