Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Yeah I think that's probably from 405. Sara's new costume is up to her neck. In this one, she's likely still wearing the old black corset, even if we can't see it. Plus, her hair still has that ratty post-pit look.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

Nonspoilery MG info at http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/

howzejni asked:
The Ray-password that Felicity typed in the last episode (which btw was great), was the password really "PASSWORD" or did I misunderstand? lots of love!

It was a callback to Ep. 315.

olicitymafia asked:
Serious question here. Is Felicity the type of woman who would to hyphenate after marriage?Asking for a friend. :)

My favorite Tumblr questions are the ones that will get me in trouble with the entire Internet. Thanks.

stickywicketworld asked:
I know you don't know- know but I wondered, Marc, if you thought DC Comics might ever bring this version of Felicity Smoak -- or a variation of, like they did in the Green Arrow comics for a bit -- back to the comics, be it back to Green Arrow or even her own one day?

Felicity Smoak has been brought to the comics.

eloquence-of-felicities asked:
First of all, the new Arrow Lair looks amazing. Kudos to the Arrow set design team for the amazing new look. I like how the evolution of the Arrow Cave has evolved with the team: Oliver setting up the Foundry in S1, Felicity's upgrades in S2 & now Oliver, Felicity, Cisco & Star Labs upgrading it in S4. I do wonder about those technical glitches, is there something fishy afoot or is this just the general "technical difficulties" with the new setup?

Watch and see!

eloquence-of-felicities asked:
The "Queen For Mayor" storyline is very intriguing, I am looking forward to seeing Oliver's campaign develop, with a little guidance & financing from Thea & Felicity. It was a nice touch having the "After five years.." monologue in Oliver's speech, as well as the "went to four colleges" line, which was very reminiscent of the line during Oliver's first meeting with Felicity "four schools I dropped out of". Thea knowing about the ring & almost telling everyone, that was a fun surprise as well.

Thanks!  That was a fun speech to write.

athenaagron asked:
Hi Marc! I'm totally missing stunts involving Oliver & Felicity. Last time I think was way back in during their explosive explosive date in S3 season premiere (not counting ATOM Felicity here). Are we going to see some anytime soon? That's one of the fun things we got to see Olicity do in earlier seasons (zipline, swinging over elevator shafts, etc.). I love action mixed in with the romance in my fave couples. More stunts for them, please.

We’re aware of the fan appetite for Oliver/Felicity stunts. That said, we can’t arrange an entire episode around only that. When it’s organic, we’ll definitely do it.

Edited by tv echo

That cut dialogue is terribad. One, does not sound like Oliver at all. Two, is a really illogical segue from their previous dialogue.

But with that bit of dialogue, now we know for sure that the graveyard scene was purposefully staged to make the audience think it's Felicity's funeral.

• Love 3

But with that bit of dialogue, now we know for sure that the graveyard scene was purposefully staged to make the audience think it's Felicity's funeral.

I think it was obvious enough with what ended on screen. The direct cut from the two of them to the graveyard and the light shining through the tree branches, which has been used as their motif for a while now. Since I know Stephen Amell said he had some sort of say regarding the script, I wonder if he sent this back with a note saying, No. Please? Will do however many shirtless scenes if I don't have to say this.

• Love 12

I think it was obvious enough with what ended on screen. The direct cut from the two of them to the graveyard and the light shining through the tree branches, which has been used as their motif for a while now. Since I know Stephen Amell said he had some sort of say regarding the script, I wonder if he sent this back with a note saying, No. Please? Will do however many shirtless scenes if I don't have to say this.

Hypothetical thanks to SA for his hypothetical sacrifice to get those lines cut. It's even worse than "I don't want to be a woman you love"

• Love 5

I didn't think "I don't want to be a woman you love" was bad in context.

That dialogue is both a cheesy thing to say, and something that this Oliver would never, ever let come out of his mouth in that particular way.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2

I had more of an issue with the lead up to "I don't want to be a woman you love" than the line itself. It just sounded really clunky and forced, just to set up the last line as a knock out blow. It did sound like something Felicity would say, at least.

• Love 2

Some amusing tweets from AC (Anarky) recently...

-What's anarky doing right now ? -"Plotting on the low. Scheming on the low"
Thinking of investing in Star City real estate, currently looking for an affordable loft. People are leaving. A buyers market !
great episode. lots of heart... Which I'm eager to destroy ❤

https://twitter.com/Alex8Calvert

And here's one from RR (Conklin)...

Wow... #Arrow fans are incredible! Thank you so much for the love... It's good to be bad. @CW_Arrow @ARROWwriters

https://twitter.com/RyRobbins/status/659602808224661504

ER with LA...

CSdRsB_UcAE9bcX.jpg
https://twitter.com/elysiarotaru/status/659585691769155584

Edited by tv echo

It was offensive, but it could have been worse.... Anyone remember the Julianne Hough Crazy Eyes costume of a few Halloweens ago?

And I really find the slutty nurse/cop on the same level as Thug for life. There are both stereotypes that are insulting and offensive. If you want to be a slut for Halloween, just go as a slut, no need to bring down a whole profession.

• Love 1

It was offensive, but it could have been worse.... Anyone remember the Julianne Hough Crazy Eyes costume of a few Halloweens ago?

And I really find the slutty nurse/cop on the same level as Thug for life. There are both stereotypes that are insulting and offensive. If you want to be a slut for Halloween, just go as a slut, no need to bring down a whole profession.

You really think dressing as a slutty version of a profession is as bad as an inherently offensive cultural stereotype?

For the record, if anyone wants to dress as a slutty lawyer, I won't be at all offended.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 8

You really think dressing as a slutty version of a profession is as bad as an inherently offensive cultural stereotype?

For the record, if anyone wants to dress as a slutty lawyer, I won't be at all offended.

In my mind it perpetrates the same intolerance and hatred. Granted, you are right that thug for life is more inherently offensive on a cultural level. But if we are talking about stereotypes & perpetrating false information that can be damaging to a group than they are on the same level. What makes it okay to consider a nurse or cop slutty? Nurse and Cops work hard at a thankless job and often talked down to because they are just the nurse or a cop. They often put others needs before themselves. I don't see why they need to be demoralized year after year as slutty because it fits the stereotypes that have been perpetrated for years as OK. In many ways it feels like inherent misogyny (esp the nurses, considering it is primarily a female driven profession). It probably is the use of the word Slutty. Slut implies a lessening of character. Just like Thug implies of lessening of character. They are both offensive and stereotypically driven dehumanizing.

That neck tattoo was a nice touch. /sarcasm

She could've been anything for Halloween. Heck, if she were short on time and ideas, I'm sure she could've found a pair of fishnets and a black leather jacket and given her fans a thrill. You would think that with the uproar over blackface someone in the public eye wouldn't choose a costume that could be considered culturally insensitive.

• Love 11

"Thugs" can be any race depending upon your geographical location. So I don't think she was going for a racial thing & thankfully she stayed away from darkening her face. Her outfit was very 90s, she could have just called herself Flashback to the 90s. But it still was a culturally insensitive costume by her choice of naming. The caption definitely made her choices seem culturally insensitive.

Edited by kismet

"Thugs" can be any race depending upon your geographical location. So I don't think she was going for a racial thing & thankfully she stayed away from darkening her face. Her outfit was very 90s, she could have just called herself Flashback to the 90s. But it still was a culturally insensitive costume by her choice of naming. The caption definitely made her choices seem culturally insensitive.

She's dressed as a chola, which is part of Latinx/Mexican culture. Please read this:

http://www.vice.com/read/the-history-of-the-chola-456

• Love 6

In my mind it perpetrates the same intolerance and hatred. Granted, you are right that thug for life is more inherently offensive on a cultural level. But if we are talking about stereotypes & perpetrating false information that can be damaging to a group than they are on the same level. What makes it okay to consider a nurse or cop slutty? Nurse and Cops work hard at a thankless job and often talked down to because they are just the nurse or a cop. They often put others needs before themselves. I don't see why they need to be demoralized year after year as slutty because it fits the stereotypes that have been perpetrated for years as OK. In many ways it feels like inherent misogyny (esp the nurses, considering it is primarily a female driven profession). It probably is the use of the word Slutty. Slut implies a lessening of character. Just like Thug implies of lessening of character. They are both offensive and stereotypically driven dehumanizing.

I don't know it's just not being called SEXY nurse or SEXY cop.

Yeah, this is not a good look. Seriously, there are entire campaigns now why this isn't okay. Hopefully, she'll figure out why it wrong (a la CH) and learn something. I freely admit as a child I dressed up as an Indian princess and a "gypsy." I would never do that again because I grew up and learned that shit is not okay.

• Love 5

She's dressed as a chola, which is part of Latinx/Mexican culture. Please read this:

http://www.vice.com/read/the-history-of-the-chola-456

Maybe she just didn't know... I honestly can't explain her behavior. I wasn't really trying to. I think its a culturally insensitive costume. I think her tweet proved that on its own.

I will say that in the 90s, a lot of people of non-Hispanic culture dressed in a similar fashion when being ghetto was fashionable. But that could have just been in my neighborhood where there was a Hispanic influence but not all the people living there were Hispanic. Fashion has a weird way of crossing racial boundaries and insulting them all at the same time.

Maybe she just didn't know... I honestly can't explain her behavior. I wasn't really trying to. I think its a culturally insensitive costume. I think her tweet proved that on its own.

I'm sure she doesn't know/doesn't mean to be offensive. Doesn't make it any less problematic. Hopefully someone is kind enough to educate her, and she learns from it. Colton Haynes did.

• Love 3

I don't know it's just not being called SEXY nurse or SEXY cop.

Sexy and slutty are two different things. I will reference the conversation a few weeks ago in the FS or LL thread about the use of the word slut. That got the moderators in a justified fury. The use of the word Slut or Slutty is inherently demeaning & degrading.

I'm not a fan of a Sexy "professional whatever" costume either, but at least its not diminishing the profession. There are sexy nurses & cops. I get people wanting to look sexy on Halloween. But I'm really against people demeaning other races, cultures and professions.

I think she must use some kind of Twitter management program or something-It's probably an auto thing. I think it's duplicated tweets before.

She posted it three times last night, so honestly I just figured she was drunk.  (No judgment on being drunk, btw, I've posted here when I've been pretty tipsy.)  But if she's posting it again today it seems like some kind of software issue.

I will say that in the 90s, a lot of people of non-Hispanic culture dressed in a similar fashion when being ghetto was fashionable.

She did the neck tattoo and bandana, etc.  It was way, way, way too accurate to the chola stereotype not to have been on purpose.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 2

Sexy and slutty are two different things. I will reference the conversation a few weeks ago in the FS or LL thread about the use of the word slut. That got the moderators in a justified fury. The use of the word Slut or Slutty is inherently demeaning & degrading.

I'm not a fan of a Sexy "professional whatever" costume either, but at least its not diminishing the profession. There are sexy nurses & cops. I get people wanting to look sexy on Halloween. But I'm really against people demeaning other races, cultures and professions.

Right, but my point is that in this conversation we could just call it sexy and that ends the diminishment of a sexually active person.  It removes the judgment behind 'slutty'.  That's all I'm saying.

• Love 1

Oh it was probably deliberate, just like the white people I saw dressing in a similar fashion in the 90s without any malicious or offensive intent.

But ultimately, I hope that she just learns from this. And someone educates her. But culturally insensitive costumes are probably always going to be problematic and an issue that extends far beyond this Halloween costume. It would be nice to imagine it not happening again. But sadly, that is not the state of costumes or race relations in America.

I'm sure she doesn't know/doesn't mean to be offensive. Doesn't make it any less problematic. Hopefully someone is kind enough to educate her, and she learns from it. Colton Haynes did.

I don't know a single person who hasn't said or done something that was offensive simply out of ignorance. Somethings you aren't going to automatically understand and you need someone to point that out to you. There isn't anything wrong with acknowledging your problematic behavior. And you know, trying to fix it.

Lord knows I've put my foot in my mouth before. It still bothers me.

Wow. And at such a convenient time too...

Well I wasn't going to say it :-)

• Love 1

Oh it was probably deliberate, just like the white people I saw dressing in a similar fashion in the 90s without any malicious or offensive intent.

But ultimately, I hope that she just learns from this. And someone educates her. But culturally insensitive costumes are probably always going to be problematic and an issue that extends far beyond this Halloween costume. It would be nice to imagine it not happening again. But sadly, that is not the state of costumes or race relations in America.

If it's a general style it's not also an offensive stereotype.  Dressing in the 90s how everyone dressed in the 90s is not dressing like an offensive cultural stereotype.  It's dressing how everyone else is dressing.  She didn't intentionally dress like that in the sense that she intentionally put those clothes/that makeup on, she intentionally dressed like that as in she chose a current culturally-insensitive and offensive stereotype and she made up a whole costume that embodied that stereotype, had pictures of herself dressed like that posted, and then entitled those pictures "Thug for life yo."

I don't know a single person who hasn't said or done something that was offensive simply out of ignorance.

Pretty much every Halloween some actor does something like this and causes a big backlash.  At what point can we no longer just say that they don't know any better?  There was just a school principal who got in trouble for wearing blackface.  Who does not know, in the year 2015, that blackface is not appropriate?

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 1