Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

(edited)

If they're going through the trouble of making SA wear the horrible wig in flashbacks to distinguish past!Oliver from present!Oliver, why would they allow him to have distinctive facial hair?

TV show adaptation =/= live action cos-play reenactment of comics

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 3

I don't like the canadagraphs guy at all. But damn if he can get some good photos... I hate myself for posting this btw. Also, David Ramsey and Stephen Amell are looking FINE AS HELL. Also, I'm still grieving DR's scruff :'(

tumblr_ns9z8ldJB61r2t96oo1_540.jpg tumblr_ns9z8ldJB61r2t96oo2_540.jpg

• Love 4

Also random thought but I saw a picture of the new Arrow suit from behind yesterday and there's buckles on it…Does the costume designer have a fetish for buckles? I'd really like to know.

I know this is the opposite of what I've seen people say here, but I'm liking that suit less and less the more I look at it. I was mostly ok with it at first, but I'm starting to hate the football player look it gives SA.

• Love 8

Sorry you feel that way Starfish35! At least DR looks fine as hell? :) Sucks they're gonna have to put a helmet on that. But hey, that'll make it easier to have more kickass Diggle stunts. 

• Love 1

I know this is the opposite of what I've seen people say here, but I'm liking that suit less and less the more I look at it. I was mostly ok with it at first, but I'm starting to hate the football player look it gives SA.

I feel better about it than I did when I first saw it but I'm still pretty meh on the whole thing. I'm hoping it looks better in the episodes. 

I also think Diggle's helmet looks ridiculous, like he looks like one of the Power Ranger's. But if it means he gets to be out in the field doing stunts instead of getting stuck in the foundry or wherever, then I'll be fine with it eventually!

• Love 5

Yeah, I'm kind of the opposite on the new Arrow suit. Hated the poster image. Thought it didn't look too bad at the SDCC live reveal. And I'm kinda OK with it in that grainy photo. But I'll save my verdict until I see it on the show. Might just be the angle but those shoulder pads don't look as bad. As for David ... OH. MY GOD! Is it me, or does he look taller and leaner? Not a fan of the helmet, but we'll see.

• Love 4

As for David ... OH. MY GOD! Is it me, or does he look taller and leaner? 

It could just be the pic, but yes, that look is really working for DR. Can we get some new official photos with this look, please? 

• Love 2

I was talking to my 5 year old niece today about Arrow. It's her most favorite show on TV.  She's only allowed 2 hours a week so she chooses carefully. She likes the new Green Arrow look and has already demanded, in a nice way, that I make it for her. She wants to wear it while she is skateboarding! She thinks it will protect more parts!

• Love 12
(edited)

I was talking to my 5 year old niece today about Arrow. It's her most favorite show on TV.  She's only allowed 2 hours a week so she chooses carefully. She likes the new Green Arrow look and has already demanded, in a nice way, that I make it for her. She wants to wear it while she is skateboarding! She thinks it will protect more parts!

Apparently your niece is outside MG's target demo for Arrow. ;) In the CBR TV interview with MG, he said: "I wouldn't encourage really young kids to watch Arrow, but I encourage them to watch Flash. Families can watch Legends of Tomorrow without any problem."

Way to narrow your audience for Arrow, MG!

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

More from SA on the goatee issue...

Stephen Amell ‏@amellywood  6h6 hours ago
I think earlier today I inadvertently trolled all the same people who freaked out when Cavill's Superman didn't have red undies.
And the people who freaked out when Affleck was cast as Batman.
And when Bale was cast as Batman.
And when Hartley wasn't Arrow.
THEY FREAKED OUT OVER MICHAEL KEATON!!!
If we're lucky enough to go 6 seasons I'll show up the first day looking like this guy:
CLIvSlEUYAA-vfp.jpg
I'll be asked to shave immediately, but still.
During S2 hiatus I grew a beard & fashioned a goatee while shaving it. Looked like someone with a record trying to blend into a new city.

https://twitter.com/amellywood/with_replies

Honestly, how many times has SA or the EPs said that they're doing their own version of GA and that they're using the comics only as a starting point?  And how many times do people have to point out the already significant differences between the comics and the show?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 9

Apparently your niece is outside MG's target demo for Arrow. ;) In the CBR TV interview with MG, he said: "I wouldn't encourage really young kids to watch Arrow, but I encourage them to watch Flash. Families can watch Legends of Tomorrow without any problem."

Way to narrow your audience for Arrow, MG!

She does not like the Flash because he is a meta human. I asked her why and she said , "All he does is run, silly!" She said that doesn't make him a superhero. OQ and CL(her second favorite) do martial arts, parkour and other things that make them real. She has watched all their workout (parkour and dance) videos ad nauseum and loves them. She's driving her mother crazy as she copies and tries to do everything they do. She is now in a mixed martial arts class, gymnastics and dance because of Arrow.

• Love 10

Headed to Austin right now for the wine party on Sunday. Mostly, that is a convenient excuse to eat my way through Texas and see all my friends. It's been 8 years! I've missed you TX, but I haven't missed your heat. Hope the party is fun.

• Love 5

That picture of PB with NM makes me think that they definitely have a scene together. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Quentin making a deal with the Devil type of thing. But the devil is Damien Darhk.

• Love 5

Headed to Austin right now for the wine party on Sunday. Mostly, that is a convenient excuse to eat my way through Texas and see all my friends. It's been 8 years! I've missed you TX, but I haven't missed your heat. Hope the party is fun.

Enjoy the party and the wine! All the Reds were lovely when i got to try them (Whites a bit meh). Hope your party is not quite as cheek to jowl as the Birmingham one :)

• Love 1
(edited)

I honestly need to see the suit in action. I do like that he is wearing a shirt underneath it, it makes me think that he can always add a long sleeve shirt underneath it for inclement weather in the winter. I grew up in New England, so layering under uniforms is nothing new for me. Usually I am not a fan of butt ruching... but hot damn, his ass looks fine in those pants!

As for the goatee - I'm sorta on the fence. I honestly don't know if SA has the face to pull off a Van Dyke. But a nicely trimmed & groomed Van Dyke can look really good on some guys. A good example of that is Jay Ryan from BATB. There have also been other sexy van dykes & maybe some goatees over the years, just can't think of all of thier names right now. I will say that the COMIC Green Arrow goatee is absolutely hideous & that would not look good on Arrow. It would be a nice Halloween/Gag costume. But no way can SA make that look good. It takes a special person to make that look good. I can only think of a handful of people.

I do think its funny that SA's so against it on social media & that Guggenheim even responded to it in an article. That being said, if you wikipedia goatees, there is a special mention of the Green Arrow and his goatee. So I can understand why some comic fans might be curious if they'll get it at least for part of a season. There is also theories of it connected to evil characters & counter-culture, which are interesting connections I never thought of when thinking about facial hair.

Edited - Apparently there is a difference betweena goatee & a van dyke. Thx Catrox14! So I took out goatee & applied van dyke where is was appropriate.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 2

#petpeevealert....it's not a goatee!

A goatee is only the hair on the chin (like a goat). The mustache with the beard on the chin is a Van Dyke. This is driving me batty. I'm sorry. The showrunners should know better, dammi!

#petpeevealert....it's not a goatee!

A goatee is only the hair on the chin (like a goat). The mustache with the beard on the chin is a Van Dyke. This is driving me batty. I'm sorry. The showrunners should know better, dammi!

I seriously didn't know there was a difference. Or a special name for it. I just always understood a goatee as facial hair around the mouth & lips. That the longer part on the chin was optional. But a trim & neat goatee in my head is probably just a Van Dyke. Thank you for educating me... who knew you could learn so much from a few social media posts??

In that case I revise my earlier posting... I was thinking of a Van Dyke could possibly but probably not look good on SA. A goatee... nah that will never look good. And that picture looks like he is lost for a Renaissance Fair or an extra on Galavant.

• Love 4

Sorry it wasn't directed at you, kismet. But the guys  running the show should know the difference!

None taken. :) I honestly had no clue. My facial hair knowledge is apparently very limited. Now I hope a question like this comes up at trivia, so I can show off my new knowledge. :) But  you're right the showrunners should know the difference.

(edited)

lmao this is hilariously terrible. I can't believe some people want this:

tumblr_nsc3tdxSYP1tdn717o1_1280.jpg

Wow. There is just no context in which our Oliver Queen would choose a style like that. (Beyond a costume party) And now unless it turns out that Felicity has a serious Robin Hood fetish (hey, she did have that poster, it remains possible) there is no way she would allow Oliver to choose a style like that.

Wow.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

I've liked McDonough since way back in "Boomtown" which was cut down too soon.  He was terrific in "Justified" as a skeevy, creepster. He was great in "Band of Brothers".  Really versatile actor IMO. Let's hope the writing is good for him too, although he can spin crap into gold. 

• Love 3