Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

http://www.melty.fr/arrow-saison-4-emily-bett-rickards-felicity-ne-pourrait-pas-rompre-avec-oliver-exclu-a419494.html

EBR interview done in Paris at the con she and others were at. If somebody could translate the French questions, that'd be awesome.

Using Google Translate and some guess work, here is the transcribed interview with questions (yes, I have nothing better to do today).  Her answers don't sound that eloquent when transcribed (I removed some of the "like"s) but she's really fun to watch.  As with all things Felicity, it's the live version of Emily that makes it work:

Q: At the end of the season, Felicity wears Ray’s suit.  If Felicity had a costume, what would it be like?

Emily: She’d probably wear some sort of skirt, but I’m hoping she wouldn’t wear stilettos because that would be hard to do, kicking butt.  Um, she probably wouldn’t wear leather which is unfortunate, because I don’t really see her in leather that much.  She’s not really… I’m a leather person so when I wear leather on set outside of character, people are like "Who is that?" all the time (laughs).  Um, and it would probably be a colour, but then at night time it would go dark ‘cause she’s smarter than that, yeah.  But pink during the day so she camouflages in with all the pink trees.

Q: In your opinion, would it disappoint Felicity to return to Starling?  Will she and Oliver stay together if this happens?

Emily: I think, I guess the hardship of what they’re going to deal with now is if they can do this as a couple, and what comes first, and if somebody wants out, that’s how I could see them breaking up.    I don’t. I think Felicity’s too invested because in the past 3 years she’s found something that she loves so much more than sitting behind a computer.  She doesn’t feel like computers are her only friend now, which is really sweet.

Q: What memories do you have of the Nanda Parbat set?

Emily: Oh, the sex scene?  Oh my God! (laughs)  It was funny, we had to sort of rush shooting it because I was on my way out on a flight and Stephen and I had talked about it and we were like, "This is what we want".  We wanted it to not be sort of, you know, zero to 100 in a second ‘cause we didn’t want it to be cheap.  We wanted the love to build and, you know, show that they’ve wanted that for so long, like you do when you’re with somebody and it’s romantic and beautiful and fun.  So we had talked about it for a while.  We, Stephen and I, were laughing because that's what happens, you... you’re so close with somebody and you’re just hitting them accidentally in the face and my boobs are like everywhere.  It’s just, it’s a whole thing, um, but everyone’s so sweet.  I love working with our crew and everything was very comfortable and we had a really good time.

Q: There were many scenes in the hospital in S3.  I hope Oliver and Felicity soon return there because she's having a baby!

Emily: Uh-uh (shakes head).  I don’t want to have to work with a baby on set. (laughs)  But, okay, so that would take 9 months, which would take a whole season so it won’t be next season unless I’m already pregnant.  Unless Felicity’s pregnant.  I’m not pregnant personally.  Felicity could potentially be pregnant. I’m hoping she’s not.  She was smart about sex.  As you should be.

Q: I love Arrow, but it was better without Olicity and Felicity crying about Oliver in every episode.

Emily:  I agree!  My tear ducts are dry.  It’s like a desert in there now.  Actually it’s not; I cry at everything.  I agree, I feel like Felicity shouldn’t be crying all the time.  But, I mean, she’s really emotionally connected... but I just don’t want her to be sad crying.  I want her to cry at the things I cry at... like puppies.

Q: According to you, what would Arrow be like with no Felicity?

Emily:  It would probably just be like, you know, boring. (laughs)

Q: Would you prefer being in the Hunger Games with a cucumber weapon or being Bella Swan in Twilight?

Emily: Hm, okay, I want to be Bella Swan when she’s a vampire in the Hunger Games with a cucumber weapon.

Q: Would you prefer to hang out with Hulk or with Steve Rogers with the Shrek mask?

Emily: Shrek mask.  Shrek is hot. (with an “obviously!” face).

• Love 8

And cheering? It's not a spectator sport.

It seemed like it was just people who go out on the field. If that panel happened now it would include Thea (and if she was available, Nyssa) and maybe Tatsu

But they're not really in a fight club.  They're in a fight of good vs evil and all the good guys need their support teams in order to win.  It's ridiculous to have Ra's there and not Diggle. 

Berlanti said after the social media blow-back that it never occurred to him to include Nyssa but in hindsight he should have.

• Love 1
The TCA panel took place before BC went into the field,

But the images were released.

But they're not really in a fight club.

Yes they are. It was a place to "let off steam" as Oliver said. They certainly had no problem with the villains walking away at the end.

Ok the mistake was not including Nyssa. That was it.

Q: In your opinion, would it disappoint Felicity to return to Starling?  Will she and Oliver stay together if this happens?

Emily: I think, I guess the hardship of what they’re going to deal with now is if they can do this as a couple, and what comes first, and if somebody wants out, that’s how I could see them breaking up.    I don’t. I think Felicity’s too invested because in the past 3 years she’s found something that she loves so much more than sitting behind a computer.  She doesn’t feel like computers are her only friend now, which is really sweet.

Thanks for your hard work, Ceylon5! :) A French friend of mine helped me out after the interview. The left out question is: "Do you think Felicity one day will break up with Oliver?" To which EBR answers what you quoted above: "I don't. ... "

• Love 1

Yes they are. It was a place to "let off steam" as Oliver said. They certainly had no problem with the villains walking away at the end.

No they're not. That club existed purely as a premise for the promo, which is why leaving the support teams out as if they don't exist didn't sit right with some people. If there was a legit canonical fight club that these people went to where Diggle, Felicity, Caitlin and Cisco weren't invited, I doubt there would've been an issue for those who didn't like this promo.

• Love 12
(edited)

I missed Guggenheim saying that Oliver and Felicity would be back in Starling City for the premier, but I guess that settles that question.

I think the mistake was taking a small portion of the show (that many people don't care about) and building the whole publicity campaign on that, pissing off a lot of viewers and boring others who don't care about masks and costumes.

Including minor characters (like Dominic Purcell, Wentworth Miller) or those who had been barely on the show (Victor Garber, Robbie Amell) while leaving out fan favorites was salt on the wound.

ETA:  If they had spent some time on other parts of the show, e.g. done a geek-off with Caitlin, Cisco and Felicity cheered on by Iris, Eddie, Joe, Thea etc, it wouldn't have been so glaring.  Putting 100% of their effort into white men + Laurel wearing masks & costumes was what made it so bad.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 10

Including minor characters (like Dominic Purcell, Wentworth Miller) or those who had been barely on the show (Victor Garber, Robbie Amell) while leaving out fan favorites was salt on the wound.

And I'm gonna invoke Godwin's Law on myself and say that it made it look like The CW's Hitler Youth Superhero Club.

• Love 6
(edited)

"If there was a legit canonical fight club that these people went to where Diggle, Felicity, Caitlin and Cisco weren't invited, I doubt there would've been an issue for those who didn't like this promo."

That is a very reasonable response to about the kookiest argument I've ever heard: that the reason it doesn't matter than the non-costumed heroes weren't in the fight club promo is that it's an actual in-universe fight club where the costumed heroes go to let off steam.  I don't know how anyone could possibly take that seriously.  Because sure, Oliver Queen would hang out in a fight club and have quasi-serious but mostly-for-funsies sparring fests against, e.g., Ra's al Ghul and Malcolm Merlyn.  And Barry squares off for kicks against the man who murdered his mother.  And then they go out for beers after.  Sure, yeah, okay.

I don't understand why some people turn everything into a Felicity/EBR issue.  The problem with the TCAs and promo is NOT THAT EBR WAS NOT THERE.  The problem is that no one except the costumed heroes were there, and in the case of the TCAs, it was literally like 13 [almost completely white] dudes and one woman.  It has nothing to do with EBR except that EBR was one of a large number of actors who should have been included before actors playing minor characters like the firebug guy.  The actors who play Iris (1), Cisco (2), Wells (3), Nyssa (4), Sara (5), Joe (6), Eddie (7), Caitlin (8), and re the promo, Digg, are much more important, in-show.    

EBR is NOT the focus of the argument.  Based on my numbers, above, she is 1/9th of the argument. 

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 16
(edited)

The problem is that no one except the costumed heroes were there, and in the case of the TCAs, it was literally like 13 [almost completely white] dudes and one woman.  

This was my problem as well. They focused on the costumed, but then had to backtrack and say it wasn't about costumes because David Ramsey was there. Except it only seemed like he was there because it would have been an all white panel (minus Wentworth Miller's half) and that is not a good look for a show that has touted their diversity in the past. In short, it was botched from it's inception. I'm glad Berlanti was called out on it by journalists and fans, and I hope it doesn't happen again. As the Fight Club promo was shot that weekend and conceived prior to the criticism, I'm including that in the whole mess.

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 14
(edited)

Oh, oh, oh, and also Maseo and Tatsu...both Asian, one female, more important in-show than half the TCA attendees, NOT INVITED.  Now Felicity is 1/11th of the argument.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 7
(edited)

When your concept of a tv promo consists of eleven white actors* -- and only one of them is a [white] woman -- when this promo is about three TV shows that happen to have several POC characters and lady characters as well as these ten white dudebros, maybe YOU DON'T CONCEPT THIS PROMO as a white dudebro's fight club with one toke woman. Because it looks 1. racist and 2. sexist. Which: terrible.

And there's an underlying message that only white people get to be in masked costumes in these superhero shows as well. Again. TERRIBLE.

* The day Wentworth Miller plays a mixed raced character [and he's THE EXACT SAME mixed race as I am], you can invoke his mixed race card.

Edited by joanne3482
Removed quoted post
  • Love 12

* The day Wentworth Miller plays a mixed raced character [and he's THE EXACT SAME mixed race as I am], you can invoke his mixed race card.

Me too! High five. But yeah, unless otherwise stated, which it hasn't been, Captain Cold's a white dude.

• Love 2
When your concept of a tv promo consists of eleven white actors* -- and only one of them is a [white] woman -- when this promo is about three TV shows that happen to have several POC characters and lady characters as well as these ten white dudebros, maybe YOU DON'T CONCEPT THIS PROMO as a white dudebro's fight club with one toke woman. Because it looks 1. racist and 2. sexist. Which: terrible.

Except it wasn't a promo. It wasn't used on tv. (Was it?)

And if Diggle was there...then I guess he's the token black male. As it stands...Iris, Cisco, Felicity, Joe, Caitlin have no place in a video like that.

It was just for fun...

And if Diggle was there...then I guess he's the token black male. As it stands...Iris, Cisco, Felicity, Joe, Caitlin have no place in a video like that.

It was just for fun...

They could've had a place, that's the whole point. If it's an actual fight club, someone could've given them a towel, or water, or kept score. Providing support like they do on the show.

It's just another instance of these shows focusing on the masks, when most of what makes people root for them when they're wearing them is who they are when they don't have them on (and, for a lot of people it seems, the people in their lives who don't wear one).

• Love 13

It's a promo. It doesn't matter the platform it aired on - broadcast, Internet, phone. Still a promo for their shows. /sorry - I answer questions like this all day/work is fun!

• Love 3
(edited)

The CW aired that promo, yes. A friend of mine even saw it right after the Flash finale aired, and wrote me an email about it. And I'm sorry, but "it's just for fun" is never an acceptable excuse for lack of representation in media. The shows themselves have a shit ton of problems with writing their female characters, and with a disproportionate ratio of white people in masked costumes vs. POCs in costume. The least they can do is not repeat those terrible patterns when they're promoting the show -- and promoting is about NEW viewers, not existing ones.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 12
(edited)

When I see stupid, pointless promos like the one being argued over what registers for me is the quality of the actual content. It doesn't occur to me to do a head count for cast members of each show, catalog them by race, color, or sex either - I'm too busy deciding who's costume is more ridiculous, who looks like they couldn't beat their way out of a paper bag, and pondering the lust these showrunners have for adults in ridiculous leather getups.  For me entertainment is a way to temporarily "check out" from the BS of life, so if they make me laugh, yell at my TV, or feel something, I don't care what they look like, where they come from, who they sleep with, or how many on my screen look like me, you, or someone else. 

Edited by catahoulamama

Actually no. There were a lot of people complaining that a lot of the cast wasn't invited. Plus EBR took the same plane that Colton was on to get there. It's funny how he was at the panel and now he's off the show.

It isn't surprising that you would try to make it as people were only complaining about EBR. We're trying to tell you that on our timelines we saw complaints about numerous actors/actresses not being there. You're the one fixated on thinking we only wanted EBR there.

Anyway, I will go on to say that yes EBR not being there was a stupid decision to exclude her. If she was there she would've been accused by some people as trying to steal the spotlight because people think she gets all the questions.

• Love 7

If that's the villain for season 4, this is making me more excited about S4. Dude sounds frightening. Also, the line

"That's why I made it point not to feel it again. Family, friends, love, children, I cut ties with all of that. Now there's nothing I can be threatened with. I look at you and see your fear and there's nothing that I recognize. I have no fear, because of that. I show no mercy."

Makes it sound like Felicity's father. Hmm

• Love 1
(edited)

Well then Katie Cassidy wasn't doing anything in the video promo. Even her poster was super imposed with the stunt person's body.

Let's not forget you can clearly see her stunt double in this is your sword. She was only really there to climb those fences in the background for the promo.

Ray never fought and he was in it. This was a ridiculous costume party. Not even Stephen Amell looked that into it.

Edited by olicityfan25
  • Love 7
(edited)

It was just for fun...

The promo aired in its entirety during one of The Flash episodes here, so it wasn't just for fun. I don't think the studio is going to waste the actors' and stunt department's time "just for fun."

I think it is the main issue, especially on this board.

The vid was about characters fighting...if the ones not in the field were there...it would be superfluous.

Yet, people especially on this board have repeatedly stated they wanted to see  Diggle, Caitlin, Cisco, and yes, Felicity in the promo. People have been giving suggestions about how those characters could have been included since the day the promo was released. So, what you think is the main issue regarding EBR not being included and what people have been stating for months now, don't match up.

Edited by AnyoneButYou
  • Love 9
(edited)

The day Wentworth Miller plays a mixed raced character [and he's THE EXACT SAME mixed race as I am], you can invoke his mixed race card.

He played a mixed-raced character in The Human Stain.

Edited by dcinmb
(edited)

I don't live in the States so the concept of assigning the diversity card to Wentworth Miller when he looks Caucasian is beyond me. It's like assigning the gay card to Victor Garber when he plays a  man deeply in love with the woman he is married to.

If Danielle Panabaker had been included in the panel, or Candice Patton, it wouldn't have sat so ill to me.  Or Audrey Marie Anderson since Lyla's a fighter too.

The justification that the panel was just about masks and costumes was ridiculous since Capt Cold and Heatwave don't really have costumes at all, and Nyssa, who does, was excluded.  The proportion of the audience who was excited for the Ra's storyline at that point I suspect was pretty small since the fall episodes with him had been a fail.

They could've had a place, that's the whole point. If it's an actual fight club, someone could've given them a towel, or water, or kept score. Providing support like they do on the show.

It's just another instance of these shows focusing on the masks, when most of what makes people root for them when they're wearing them is who they are when they don't have them on (and, for a lot of people it seems, the people in their lives who don't wear one).

Or they could have been walking by the elevator as Oliver and Barry got on, or been at the door checking names off as they came in.  Anything to show that there are more characters to these shows than white men fighting.

That was the main promo for the second half of the season. They spent money on a two day shoot for it when they won't even spend money for a new photoshoot, and it ended up turning off many of the fans because they were too arrogant and spent too much time praising themselves..

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 6

Just saw this... (there is more on the actual twitter account but I just found this somewhat strange)...If they intended to give CL the lead role that early why did they have such a hard time communicating that it would not be an ATOM only show or why did they kill her off in the first place...Extensive coma could have worked too.

https://twitter.com/LauInLA/status/608465636205932545(I don't know to embed the tweet properly, sorry) (It is not her opinion, AK said it at this panel)

Another interesting one 

https://twitter.com/LauInLA/status/608465324342697985

Yeah, I'm sorry but I think that's total bullshit. The Arrow writers & producers have shown several times that they don't plan any further ahead than the episode they are currently working on, so I don't believe for a single second that they always had an elaborate plan in place to bring Sara back from the dead for yet another time - especially considering how hard they were originally pushing for an Atom spin-off series.

• Love 3

He played a mixed-raced character in The Human Stain.

That's the movie that had Anthony Hopkins playing a part African American "pretending" to be white, right? And Wentworth was in the flashbacks? Yeah. I don't get that. The way the USA culture defines race by blood is beyond my understanding, I'm sorry. And I'll step out of the discussion because I legit lack the appropriate cultural background to have it.

• Love 1

Seems Arrow is (maybe) getting 3 new female writers

https://twitter.com/rebeccabellotto

https://twitter.com/danidorn

https://twitter.com/sarahtarkoff

Yikes. Sara Tarkoff is the only one who has any writing credits at IMDB, an episode of Witches of East End, a short and a couple of episodes of shows I've never heard of.  Rebecca Bellotto has writers assistant credits, and Dani Dornfeld doesn't have even that. It feels like they gutted the wrtiers room for the new show.

• Love 2

Yikes. Sara Tarkoff is the only one who has any writing credits at IMDB, an episode of Witches of East End, a short and a couple of episodes of shows I've never heard of.  Rebecca Bellotto has writers assistant credits, and Dani Dornfeld doesn't have even that. It feels like they gutted the wrtiers room for the new show.

I get the frustration because it does seem like Arrow always gets the leftovers since its creative peeps become so focused on all of the shiny new shows, but I'll have to give these new writers the benefit of the doubt until they rightfully earn my disdain. At least they're female--that gives me some hope (albeit small) that we might finally get some depth to the show's female characters beyond the shallow writing we've seen so far.

• Love 6

I'm glad that Arrow is getting some new writers and a new EP, I think the show could use a bit of an overhaul when it comes to the way they write their characters/story arcs. I'm also happy that they're all women. That's not to say that women are always capable of writing female characters well, but I think they definitely bring a different perspective than male writers. 

• Love 4

At the site, there are audition tapes of two men unknown to me who appear to be auditioning for the role.  I thought they would go for a name actor for DD but it looks like they're not.  I worry about another Matt Nable miscast.

Of the two, Ilan Goodman gets my vote.  He's scary creepy in the first take, not so much in the second.

After this season, I don't even think I mind if they gutted the writers room and bring in some new blood. I did like when Ben Sokowlowski & Brian Ford Sullivan worked together, so I hope they stay.

• Love 3

The panel was major snafu and tone deaf. Then the promo only furthered their lack of insight & stupidity by having it appear like a white man's bro club & LL. After the backlash they all got, it would have made PR sense to me to throw together the other non-masked cast together for a quick promo. They all film in Vancouver. How hard would it have been to have them all film a quick 30 sec promo? Film them on the Jitter set eating popcorn or pizza while watching the footage. Or saying something like who needs a fight club? There were many quick ways they could have fixed it. It could actually look very similar to the Paris photo above.

It just furthered my belief that sometimes when people make knuckleheaded moves and are just to proud or arrogant to really think they need to actually make amends. Kudos to Berlanti for accepting some blame. But really they could have tried to make some amends.

• Love 6
(edited)

The panel was major snafu and tone deaf. Then the promo only furthered their lack of insight & stupidity by having it appear like a white man's bro club & LL. After the backlash they all got, it would have made PR sense to me to throw together the other non-masked cast together for a quick promo. They all film in Vancouver. How hard would it have been to have them all film a quick 30 sec promo? Film them on the Jitter set eating popcorn or pizza while watching the footage. Or saying something like who needs a fight club? There were many quick ways they could have fixed it. It could actually look very similar to the Paris photo above.

It just furthered my belief that sometimes when people make knuckleheaded moves and are just to proud or arrogant to really think they need to actually make amends. Kudos to Berlanti for accepting some blame. But really they could have tried to make some amends.

But from a purely business-level perspective, the CW probably didn't feel like they had to make amends, because the audience the promo was supposed to target, the group that the CW is trying to attract more of, was the 18-34 males. And I know I'm generalizing, but based on comments I see on reddit, IGN, other male-dominated websites, this demo only cares about the masked heroes, action, and a hot chick in leather. They don't care so much about representation and they don't care about the support crew unless they have a masked destiny in the comics (Cisco). From skimming the response on SA's FB page and the youtube comments, the promo actually went over very well with these fans.

Edited by lemotomato
(edited)

Well, if they do limit the SDCC panel to cast members playing costumed superheroes and villains, they'll have more women and minorities this time, thanks to Supergirl and LoT -- and they'll probably pat themselves on the back for it.

Edited by tv echo

If they only put masked vigilantes on that panel then they have another outrage boiling. Because that would mean the Flash without its leading lady. And only Grant/Tom there from regulars? Or are Danielle/Carlos already considered masked?

• Love 1

Intro for Arrow/Flash shown at SuperHeroesCon in Paris.

Thanks for posting this. This was really interesting to see. There was alot of Tommy in this trailer - odd for a character who's been dead for two seasons.  Also, the shots of EBR with her goth look and then the "reveal" of Felicity as we know her (shown in her episode this year) almost felt like Felicity's image as we know her - smartly dressed, blond ponytail & glasses - was her superhero mask/disguise... just a vibe I got with the way it was all put together.  Still...the prevalence of Tommy was very curious IMO.

• Love 1

At the site, there are audition tapes of two men unknown to me who appear to be auditioning for the role.  I thought they would go for a name actor for DD but it looks like they're not.  I worry about another Matt Nable miscast.

Of the two, Ilan Goodman gets my vote.  He's scary creepy in the first take, not so much in the second.

stupid videos are password protected -_-