Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

I love Larry King's reaction when SA says that's Felicity is not his girlfriend on the show. He actually stops taking the sip of his drink.

Larry King: Will the internet force you to do thing?

Greg Berlanti:  I think we really like the charm and the charisma that the two of them have together and there's lots to explore there before we'd walk down down a path of ever having them become a couple just yet. But we'll see us what happens, you never know. We like to surprise the audience.

Larry King: So you're not going to tip us on that.

Greg Berlanti: Probably  not.

Larry King: Do you know?

Greg Berlanti:  Yeah, I mean, put it this way, when she started she was just a guest star and she's been made a regular on the series so that's all in the course of a year. 

My bolding.  But in hindsight, Berlanti's comments really sounds like they'd decided to go Olicity at that point.

• Love 3
(edited)

Have a nice Sunday everybody :-)! I think I need some "slang expression explanation" from you English speakers, because SA posted the following on twitter which I couldn´t quite understand:

"Got paparazzi'd yesterday. So today my best bud will be following me around with his bag out. Best of luck photogs."

Hmm, what does "with his bag out" mean in this context? Is he referring to a weapon or something :-)? I don´t get it, and would appreciate any explanation from your part, please, and thanks in advance!

BTW the paparazzi fotos SA is talking about are now up on the web site of "Just Jared" (23/05/15). I won´t post a link here, but if anybody is curious, feel free to look there for yourself.

Edited by Kordi

WH and MB from Atlantic City Boardwalk Con (May 14-17, 2015)...

AC Boardwalk Con 2015 Arrow Panel featuring Willa Holland and Manu Bennett

Published on May 17, 2015

• Love 2
(edited)

WH, RF and KY from MCM London Comic Con (May 23-24, 2015)...

Arrow Season 4... - Willa Holland, Rila Fukushima & Karl Yune

Published on May 24, 2015

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

MR's panel & interviews from Motor City Comic Con (May 15-17, 2015)...

Shoot the S**t With Michael Rowe (Motor City Comic Con 2015)
Published on May 16, 2015

Motor City Comic Con Interview - Michael Rowe
Published on May 16, 2015

Motor City Comic Con: Michael Rowe talks "Arrow"
Published on May 18, 2015

The Fix - Michael Rowe discusses Deadshot, Tomorrowland, and more @ The Motor City Comic-con
Published on May 21, 2015

• Love 1

According to WH in the MCM Expo London Comic Con video (posted here in the Behind the Mask thread)....

They're going to start shooting S4 on July 13.

Isn´t that quite late? I´m surprised, because I´d always thought they´d return for shooting at the beginning of July?

(edited)

That's what WH said at MCM Expo London Comic Con (at around the 13:38 mark in the video).

ETA:  SDCC is July 9-12 this year.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

That sounds about on par with last year.  They were at the end of filming the second week (filming ep 2) when Comic Con rolled around near the end of July.  Checking dates, Comic Con is a few weeks earlier this year and they start filming right after CC, so we won't get any new footage, bummer.  On the upside, since they won't be filming yet, everybody should be able to make it...

• Love 2

Emily RTing that is nice but (unknowingly to her I'm sure) risky since fans of Candice Patton are campaigning for that same category.

Worse is Andrew Kreisberg RTing it though. (It wouldn't if he did it for both)

Emily RTing that is nice but (unknowingly to her I'm sure) risky since fans of Candice Patton are campaigning for that same category.

Worse is Andrew Kreisberg RTing it though. (It wouldn't if he did it for both)

I mean, it's not like Emily knows that CP fans are campaigning for that same category :/ It'd be sad to see them hate on Emily for that though. I'm sure AK would RT it if it was CP who was nominated for that role. I think he'd be proud either way. 

• Love 1
I'm sure AK would RT it if it was CP who was nominated for that role. I think he'd be proud either way.

Neither are nominated yet, but CP fans are tweeting that same thing (just with Candice's name instead) with the TheFlash hashtag. And yes..some are tagging him. 

So him not RTing it means he's simply not looking at his mentions or the hashtag...or he's ignoring it. 

Well some of the mentions the EPs get are crazy. Anyway for the Teen Choice Awards is more important to tweet it to the account and lots of it. From what i heard RT dont matter that much.

Neither are nominated yet, but CP fans are tweeting that same thing (just with Candice's name instead) with the TheFlash hashtag. And yes..some are tagging him. 

So him not RTing it means he's simply not looking at his mentions or the hashtag...or he's ignoring it. 

Oh jeez, I thought DP was already nominated and that AK was tweeting it in congrats. Yeah that sort of makes it worse. I don't blame Emily for being tagged and RTing it (maybe CP fans didn't tag Emily?) but AK not doing it is kinda weird. 

(edited)

Not blaming Emily at all...she likely just saw Kreisberg's retweet and followed suit. (she wasn't tagged)

But him doing it kinda shows favoritism. 

Edited by wingster55
  • Love 1

Yeah but TCA work mostly on twitter buzz and suggestion by the fans. So whoever has the loudest support can get a nom. But then KC also got a nom for her first year. So i think CP could get it also.

I just think if AK does favor DP, then it must be because she's popular behind the scenes or something, because I certainly don't see her as the scene-stealer that EBR was, for example, when she came in as Felicity. There's just no comparison there.

• Love 1
(edited)

Craig pretty much transferred the contempt he felt for Chloe on Smallville to Felicity.

He hated Chloe too? Meet my complete lack of surprise.

He used to post all the time back in the TWoP forums.  The strange thing is I would have said he was actually a Chloe fan for a long time.  I'd even say for a time open to the Chlois theory (just how much I couldn't say)  He got into some flaps with posters (I want to say around season 6, maybe the summer between 5 and 6) If I recall, people were questioning his interpretation of spoilers and interviews (there was probably more to it that I wasn't a part of) and after that, stopped posting for that most part. 

Next thing I knew, over on Ksite he seemed very negative to the character.  At the time I remember thinking  it all felt like a business decision (it timed with him getting more cozy with some powers that be) as if he'd decided to pick up the corporate line and run with it since that was the side his bread was buttered.  It seemed like he stopped watching the show through the eyes of a fan and instead aligned his views with where he decided the show was going to go.   

I agree that his left over view point about Chloe (and her fans) feel like they have influenced the tone toward Felicity on Ksite.  It's the she's not canon therefore she's in the way attitude.

I know for me, I do feel like every time Arrow does something with Felicity that someone has previously said  CAN'T happen due to "comics", it's a barrier broken and in my mind a retroactive victory for Chloe and what could have happened if the mucks running Smallville had had the guts to go with what was building on the show. 

I still wonder if there hadn't been outside interference what would have happened.   Even just leaving the existing show runners in charge rather than handing the show off to kowtowing underlings after the seventh season might have made a huge difference.   Yes, yes, unanswerable questions.   

Have a nice Sunday everybody :-)! I think I need some "slang expression explanation" from you English speakers, because SA posted the following on twitter which I couldn´t quite understand:

Hmm, what does "with his bag out" mean in this context? Is he referring to a weapon or something :-)? I don´t get it, and would appreciate any explanation from your part, please, and thanks in advance!

BTW the paparazzi fotos SA is talking about are now up on the web site of "Just Jared" (23/05/15). I won´t post a link here, but if anybody is curious, feel free to look there for yourself.

Native speaker here.  I have absolutely no idea what "with his bag out" means.  In case I was just somehow out of the loop, I even Googled it and nothing.  (The closest I came was "to bag out" which is to leave or cancel plans or head to an exit) I wonder if there's a typo in there somewhere or maybe there was an actual incident with them involving bags? 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 5

I know for me, I do feel like every time Arrow does something with Felicity that someone has previously said CAN'T happen due to "comics", it's a barrier broken and in my mind a retroactive victory for Chloe and what could have happened if the mucks running Smallville had had the guts to go with what was building on the show.

That's our Felicity. Breaking comic glass ceilings one babble at a time.

• Love 12

Native speaker here.  I have absolutely no idea what "with his bag out" means.  In case I was just somehow out of the loop, I even Googled it and nothing.  (The closest I came was "to bag out" which is to leave or cancel plans or head to an exit) I wonder if there's a typo in there somewhere or maybe there was an actual incident with them involving bags? 

I didn't get the "bag" reference either. I was thinking that maybe he was just reverting to his juvenile frat-boy mindset and actually meant "sack"? Although that doesn't make sense either as it would only draw more attention to them. Another term I'd never heard before was in the first Flash crossover when Oliver and Felicity were in Jitters and he asked if she was going to "hawk" him until he helped Barry, and she confirmed that yes, she was a "hawker." I'd never heard "hawk" used in that context before.

• Love 3
(edited)

I didn't get the "bag" reference either. I was thinking that maybe he was just reverting to his juvenile frat-boy mindset and actually meant "sack"? Although that doesn't make sense either as it would only draw more attention to them. Another term I'd never heard before was in the first Flash crossover when Oliver and Felicity were in Jitters and he asked if she was going to "hawk" him until he helped Barry, and she confirmed that yes, she was a "hawker." I'd never heard "hawk" used in that context before.

The word he used was, I believe, "hock" and it was an oblique reference to her Jewishness because it's a Yiddish word meaning nag.

I've got nothing on the "bag" reference.

Edited by Ceylon5
  • Love 4
(edited)

Thanks, Ceylon5! I only knew of "hock" in the context of pawn shops and body parts. Pretty disturbing that I'm learning new words from a CW show!

Edited by dcinmb
  • Love 2

The "bag out" isn't slang. It means that someone is going to hold a bag up in front of the paparazzi whenever they try to take pictures of the Amells, so they won't get any decent shots to sell.

• Love 2
Yeah but TCA work mostly on twitter buzz and suggestion by the fans. So whoever has the loudest support can get a nom. But then KC also got a nom for her first year. So i think CP could get it also.

You think DP has the loudest support? Regardless, it isn't right for a showrunner to show favoritism which is what he's doing. 

The "bag out" isn't slang. It means that someone is going to hold a bag up in front of the paparazzi whenever they try to take pictures of the Amells, so they won't get any decent shots to sell.

If only it were that simple.

(edited)

I've seen people (on tumblr) write "hock" for that scene, but it is "hawk".  My family is originally from New England and it's something I've heard from childhood. I always thought it was in reference to a hawk, as in the actual bird of prey. They're magnificent hunters and once they set eyes on their prey there's no hope for the prey.  That's always been the connotation I've known - like she wasn't going to let it go until he did what she wanted. LOL

The word he used was, I believe, "hock" and it was an oblique reference to her Jewishness because it's a Yiddish word meaning nag.

I've got nothing on the "bag" reference.

Guess I need to see if there are any Jewish ancestors in my predominantly Irish family tree then. LOL

Edited by catahoulamama

I think DP had some fan following from her earlier works (just basing it on the number of followers on social media). For me she always seems like one of Disney actors.

From what i remember from when the pilot/trailer leaked she was the actress people talked about the most. Already linking her to Barry and saying she is the new Felicity. I personally dont see any parallels to Felicity or Oliver/Felicity.

• Love 4
(edited)

I saw the Kreisberg retweet of the Danielle/Teen Choice thing and thought she was already nominated. Maybe he thought the same thing? These awards are super weird to old people like me.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 3

I've seen people (on tumblr) write "hock" for that scene, but it is "hawk".  My family is originally from New England and it's something I've heard from childhood. I always thought it was in reference to a hawk, as in the actual bird of prey. They're magnificent hunters and once they set eyes on their prey there's no hope for the prey.  That's always been the connotation I've known - like she wasn't going to let it go until he did what she wanted. LOL

Guess I need to see if there are any Jewish ancestors in my predominantly Irish family tree then. LOL

Well.. that is what Hock means, to nag until you get what you want.. there's probably a connection.

Hawk is, I believe originally a germanic word, the english variation is the dutch form. Yiddish is a mix of German, Polish, and some Russian. Dutch is also a variation of German so it's quite possible there is a connection between the two words.

• Love 1

The bag thing: Stephen was definitely saying that his friend was going to walk around with his...bits out, to make the pictures unusable. I've seen other people joke about doing that w/r/t paparazzi, and bag is slang for sack. *The more you knooooooowwww.*

• Love 4
(edited)

That was my initial read on his tweet but it wouldn't render the pics unusable at all. Some sites would show Andrew Harding in all his glory and others would simply place a black bar over the offending bits. And instead of "Arrow star Stephen Amell vacationing in Marbella," the headlines would read something like "Arrow star and friend letting it all hang out in Marbella." The tabloids would pay a lot more for those pics than for the bagless ones.

Edited by dcinmb
  • Love 2

I think MG confirmed  on tumblr or twitter or whatever that it was "hock". 

• Love 2

Well.. that is what Hock means, to nag until you get what you want.. there's probably a connection.

Hawk is, I believe originally a germanic word, the english variation is the dutch form. Yiddish is a mix of German, Polish, and some Russian. Dutch is also a variation of German so it's quite possible there is a connection between the two words.

So, the birds are named for nags then. I stand corrected. Thanks so much to all for the linguistics lesson today. Previously, the only Yiddish I was familiar with was that learned from watching Mike Myers on SNL. LOL

Yes the impromptu linguistics lesson was very interesting... especially amongst the speculations of bags v. sacks. Thanks! I am a native English speaker & I was having trouble placing that reference in a way that did not involve possible assault of body or eyes. Even Urban Dictionary failed me. Regardless of which way he meant his tweet, I don't think he had any pleasant sights/sounds in store for the paparazzi, should they encounter them again.

I will say though that I enjoy his level of participation & sharing on social media, but in the same way he is making himself accessible for fans - he is making himself accessible for the paps too. It does not justify the paps' horrible behaviors & invasions of privacy that they perpetrate daily. But posting locations/destinations/plans on social media does make it easier for paps to track someone. Its not right, but its reality - sadly.

• Love 2

So, the birds are named for nags then. I stand corrected. Thanks so much to all for the linguistics lesson today. Previously, the only Yiddish I was familiar with was that learned from watching Mike Myers on SNL. LOL

probably the other way around. but I can't say for sure either way, anyway the linguistic lesson was courtesy of google and wikipedia! my Yiddish is.. lacking to say the least. my grandparents and parents never saw it as a matter of importance to teach me all the languages that they know.

• Love 1

I will say though that I enjoy his level of participation & sharing on social media, but in the same way he is making himself accessible for fans - he is making himself accessible for the paps too. It does not justify the paps' horrible behaviors & invasions of privacy that they perpetrate daily. But posting locations/destinations/plans on social media does make it easier for paps to track someone. Its not right, but its reality - sadly.

Maybe it's a way of keeping them from stalking him in private and hanging outside his house.  If he gives him opportunities, then maybe they will leave him alone the rest of the time.  I wonder if it works.  I saw one vid of them jumping on him and Cassandra after a hockey game, and I wouldn't want to like like that.

This isn't a knock on Stephen - but I'm honestly surprised that anyone cares enough about him to snap pics of him. I can't imagine they get that much $ or site hits - especially since he's hanging out with (no offense, again) a bunch of nobodies. I don't think he's in a situation where he'd have to worry about them hounding him that much - and I think he got caught outside a Kings game because it's place where stye can be reasonably certain to find a bunch of celebrities. Maybe he is trying to be preventative by being open about it, can't blame him if that's the case.

• Love 1
(edited)

Hahaha, I love these meaning-of-words-discussions!!!

In order to add my own two cents to the question of what "hock" might mean:

If it is indeed a Yiddish Word, maybe it means something like "to yammer"?! This is my speculation after reading the following passage on a (non scholarly written) Yiddish page:

[The Yiddish phrase] "Hock mier en chinik" [means] to "bang on my tea kettle." In other words, to make a lot of noise for no good reason, or yammering on about nonsense; beating a dead horse. "I told you no! I am not buying you Sugar-Frosted Chocolate Puffies cereal. It's chazzerai. Now stop hocking me in chinik!"

I have no idea if the source is trustworthy: http://www.bubbygram.com/yiddishglossary.htm#hockchinik

But at least it would make sense in the context of the Oliver-Felicity- dialogue in 3x08: If Oliver didn't agree to help Barry, Felicity would pressure him into doing it - by "yammering" - of sorts, not so much in the sense of "being whiny", but more in the sense of "jangling his nerves".

Edited by Kordi
This isn't a knock on Stephen - but I'm honestly surprised that anyone cares enough about him to snap pics of him. I can't imagine they get that much $ or site hits - especially since he's hanging out with (no offense, again) a bunch of nobodies.

I think you're underestimating his popularity majorly. 

(edited)

I think you're underestimating his popularity majorly. 

Possibly. Still don't see him being a major draw for paparazzi at this point. Not saying that won't change, but I feel like most people who peruse gossip websites would see his name and think, "who?" 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2
(edited)

IMO SA would be considered more social media popular than main stream popular. You would put his picture on your online site, but not the print issue. The only CW stars that land print is Nina and Ian.

Edited by 10Eleven12

Well Arrow is pretty big outside the US, US magazines may not care, but I think in some international markets he will bring in a good buck.

Quite honestly though I say: if a celebrity social media about them being in a specific location while they're still there (especially when it is a vacation and they're there for a long period of time) then they are not allowed to complain when the papp's are there taking pics. either keep your trap shut or suffer the consequences.

• Love 8