Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

I should probably clarify that I write fanfic and I don't think anyone should be embarrassed of doing it - people should be proud of their work and everything, it's just the thought of the people who play the characters I write about reading the stories I write about them gives me the squicks. That's probably not true for everyone who writes fanfic, but it is for me. 

• Love 9

Lemme just go delete...

No shit. How do I...change settings to specifically block certain people...

Don't you dare! Your stories are awesome! We need to have the good stuff representing the fandom if he actually does go looking.

SA has always been really supportive of fan art, so I'm happy to hear that extends to fanfic too. Fanfic writers get treated like the crazy aunties of the fandom, while the vidders and graphic artists get their stuff shown off all the time.

• Love 2

Really, because I'm sure the good writers are those who would burn the internet down before letting him read any of their stuff, and you just know that he is going to be flooded by the...not so good ones. LOL

it's just the thought of the people who play the characters I write about reading the stories I write about them gives me the squicks. That's probably not true for everyone who writes fanfic, but it is for me. 

But is it really that different than getting a script and reading it?  He knows he's an actor, not the character.  After having acted in Hung, would he really be upset to read that Oliver is having sex in a fanfic?

• Love 3

But is it really that different than getting a script and reading it?  He knows he's an actor, not the character.  After having acted in Hung, would he really be upset to read that Oliver is having sex in a fanfic?

Is it different for him? Maybe not, and I doubt that he'd be upset to read anything like that (and frankly, it would be hard to avoid, if he's read more than a few pieces). But it is different for the people who write it, not ever intending for anyone involved with the show to read it, and I think that's what people here are joking/NOT AT ALL joking about.

• Love 7

I don't really read fanfic, but a quick perusal of Arrow fics on a couple of sites is kind of amusing. Because it looks like the lion's share are either alternate universe takes, or 'fix its' for the season. Hmm. So even the fans devoted enough to write their own stories about the show wish it was different. Kind of says a lot.

Hey, there's some pretty awesome fanfics out there!! sadly the majority of it is mediocre at best or looks like it was written by 10 years old.

Depends on where you're looking for them, I think. Archive of our Own tends to have a better selection overall.

• Love 1

I'm not worried about what he would think about what authors are writing Oliver doing, it's just a general "oh my god no," feeling that I'd have if I found out that anyone involved in the content creation of a show or entity that I'd write fan fiction for was reading it, along with a feeling of unease because (and I'm not commenting specifically on Stephen's reasons for reading/perusing/whatevering fanfic - maybe he genuinely enjoys it), it's generally not done because they think 'this story is really good, I'd like to read about what they think my character would do,' and get engrossed in the story - a lot of times it's done to poke fun. I've seen it done too many times publicly to ever really be comfortable with it, I guess.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 3

But it is different for the people who write it, not ever intending for anyone involved with the show to read it, and I think that's what people here are joking/NOT AT ALL joking about.

I don't write Arrow fic but I do write in other fandoms and I think I'd be proud if the actors or producers on the show read what I wrote and liked it.

One of the fandoms I was very involved in is The Lost World.  Micheal Sinelnikoff, who played Summerlee in season 1 would come to our bashes and give us writing tips on how to write for TV.  One year the theme was "Looking for Summerlee"  (he fell off a bridge and disappeared) and we put together a book of fanfic about Summerlee and gave it to him.  We also wrote a script for a scene for the show and he went through it with us, showing us what would work on TV and what needed to be changed.

So I think you should be proud of your Arrow fic, especially if the actors think it good enough to pass around to each other.

I don't really read fanfic, but a quick perusal of Arrow fics on a couple of sites is kind of amusing. Because it looks like the lion's share are either alternate universe takes, or 'fix its' for the season. Hmm. So even the fans devoted enough to write their own stories about the show wish it was different. Kind of says a lot.

i agree totally.  There is some very good AU and O/D/F/Roy + Sara Team A fix out there.  I think it's a way of people getting what they want rather than what MG thinks they "need".

it's generally not done because they think 'this story is really good, I'd like to read about what they think my character would do,' and get engrossed in the story - a lot of times it's done to poke fun. I've seen it done too many times publicly to ever really be comfortable with it, I guess.

I think you underestimate the people affiliated with the show, but I understand why you feel that way.

I've seen it done at fan events though.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

I think you underestimate the people affiliated with the show, but I understand why you feel that way.

I've seen it done at fan events though.

Yeah, I might. I hope I do - Stephen seems to get into fandom, so maybe he really does like it. But when I think about him wanting to do live-reads, I just can't imagine that being a good, positive thing for the person who wrote that story, so it just makes me a little wary. On the other hand I can't imagine him saying that publicly and intending to make fun of the people who wrote the stories he wanted to live read, but sometimes there's a fine line between enjoying/laughing at/making fun. 

Edited by apinknightmare

Depends on where you're looking for them, I think. Archive of our Own tends to have a better selection overall.

Yea AO3 is my main site these days, ff.net too but not so much in the last few years since they started their no mature content fics (which no one really follows- but if someone does complains it may get removed) AO3 does seems to have the better material, but it is getting bigger and more well known and the quality is slowly dropping- at least in the Arrow fandom- but ff.net was the same back in the days when it was still super young (i'm talking like a decade ago).

I can't imagine him saying that publicly and intending to make fun of the people who wrote the stories he wanted to live read, but sometimes there's a fine line between enjoying/laughing at/making fun. 

This is the guy who is always kind to his fellow actors, talks up GG like crazy, encourages kids at his con panels and does a ton of charity work.

He doesn't seem to me to be the sort of person to read fanfic in order to make fun of the writer.  It seems to me that he's genuinely impressed at the quality of Arrow fanfic that exists.

• Love 3

He may be. I hope he is - that's why my reaction isn't specifically about Stephen reading it, it's just a general feeling of unease knowing that I've put things out there that an actor may have read, because I've seen so many instances where this kind of thing goes wrong. 

Edited by apinknightmare

Fanfiction is a good way to take the pulse of the fandom. In the sense that you can easily determine what themes characters and storylines make fans passionate. Frankly I would constantly have an intern running stats.

It becomes a bit grey with writers/creators actually reading I think one of my favourite authors said they were not against fanfic, but was never going to read it because it may interfere with her writing and ideas etc.

• Love 3

Celina and Bex have been reading Olicity fanfic since S2. Pretty sure Celina or Bex tagged both EBR and SA in a fic rec on Twitter. IIRC it was one of Sarcastic Fina's fics

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Some notes from Stephens panel

- something will happen that forever alters John and Oliver’s relationship

-he’s getting a new haircut on the show (on Tuesday? Couldn’t tell if that was a joke)

-on his feelings about the flashback wig: “it is what it is”

-when a fan asked him about Thea and Laurel’s work to turn into badasses— he also brought Emily up in the conversation mentioning how she throws herself into the work too. He also brought up being sure to show her gunshot scar when her shoulders are bare

-he seemed to have a genuine love/respect for fanfiction… Brought it up and had the audience cheer for it. Said he gets handed scripts all the time. Seemed amused that the studio heads didn’t know about it. He said he pitched the idea of “fanfic live” to them to have an Arrow/Supernatural fanfic crossover reading live on stage and air it. Said it would get better ratings the showing “Planes, Trains and Automobiles” again.

• Love 2

^ Aw. The feeling's mutual, I think, because Aisha was fangirling EBR hard during Paley, as well. At the end of the panel, when the cast was signing autographs and taking pics with the fans by the stage, Aisha went straight for EBR to get her to take a selfie together. It was cute to watch.

• Love 7

I believe it was her AU about if Oliver had never gone on the boat... "We Keep All Our Promises (Be Us Against The World)"

tumblr_n14822Xw1c1qhgqv2o1_500.png

Lee talked about it in one of her author note's once. Apparently Celina also quoted a line from it. 

Too bad that fic was never finished.  It's sat idle since last March.    I would soo tune in for the cast reading fan fic.  I've barely wrote anything for Arrow but to see any of it come alive?  How awesome that would be, mostly since it is fixes or great "what if's".  I love that he seems so pleased with it. 

CAK5LN6U0AECig0.jpg

Just gonna swoon.

So, so cute!  And look how happy those kids are!  They know who they are hanging out with.  I'm loving this trend of getting the whole family involved in the costumes and particularly the little girls as Felicity, it's not a hard costume to make and not a hard costume to convince the child to wear - hello pink shirt!  I love that something so simple has become instantly recognizable.  :)

• Love 5

Not sure what EBR was thinking with that hairstyle but she looks beautiful with the toned down make-up. I've never understood why they insist on slathering so much garish lipstick on Felicity. Interestingly, the only time they seem to tone it down is when she's wearing evening wear (e.g., the gold dress to catch the bomb collar guy, the blue Victoria Beckham dress).

• Love 2

Not sure what EBR was thinking with that hairstyle but she looks beautiful with the toned down make-up. I've never understood why they insist on slathering so much garish lipstick on Felicity. Interestingly, the only time they seem to tone it down is when she's wearing evening wear (e.g., the gold dress to catch the bomb collar guy, the blue Victoria Beckham dress).

I believe she got her hair and make-up done. It was by the same people who did her hair and make-up for the Flarrow screening. So I'm not sure how much "say" she had over it... That said I didn't mind her hair at all. 

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 2

I believe she got her hair and make-up done. It was by the same people who did her hair and make-up for the Flarrow screening. So I'm not sure how much "say" she had over it... That said I didn't mind her hair at all. 

Whereas she does have limited say with regard to her Felicity look, her hair, make-up and wardrobe choices are pretty much up to her when it comes to personal appearances. And I don't mind the artfully tousled look but her hair's verging on unkempt.

ETA:

8GfuEIJ.jpg?1

[eta: sorry about the quote glitch but the site won't let me delete the extra quote box (which appeared out of nowhere)]

Edited by dcinmb

Her hair looks unkempt in the stills, but it does look artfully tousled in the video IMO. I think maybe it was just falling out after so much movement. Happens to the best of us. 

And I think Felicity's garish looking makeup on the show is due largely in part to the fuchsia lipstick she wears so often, which the head of the makeup department has said is her "signature." I think it was intended to be one of her quirks - I wonder if she was initially supposed to be a little unknowledgeable about makeup? And as for the rest of the makeup she wears on the show, I don't think the glasses help much. She has to be very heavily made up to make her eyes stand out behind the glasses, and I guess they give her a ton of blush to balance it out. I don't think the makeup on this show is the best - they always did well by Moira and Sara. Felicity and Laurel with the lipstick and eyelashes, not so much. 

• Love 3

Her hair looks unkempt in the stills, but it does look artfully tousled in the video IMO. I think maybe it was just falling out after so much movement. Happens to the best of us. 

Definitely happens to me as I can't stand hairspray and I have thick Asian hair which rebels against anything other than straight and down. EBR must have a similar aversion to hairspray, which is usually a necessary evil for women (and sometimes men) in the industry, particularly while doing press and making public appearances.

I thought the up do was very cute and fresh looking, it was a bit fly away but it fits the tousled beachy waves thing that is so in now. 

And I think Felicity's garish looking makeup on the show is due largely in part to the fuchsia lipstick she wears so often, which the head of the makeup department has said is her "signature." I think it was intended to be one of her quirks - I wonder if she was initially supposed to be a little unknowledgeable about makeup? And as for the rest of the makeup she wears on the show, I don't think the glasses help much. She has to be very heavily made up to make her eyes stand out behind the glasses, and I guess they give her a ton of blush to balance it out. I don't think the makeup on this show is the best - they always did well by Moira and Sara. Felicity and Laurel with the lipstick and eyelashes, not so much. 

I've always gone with the idea that her mom, the Vegas cocktail waitress, just wasn't the most subtle role model when it came to make up (or clothes or shoes).  Her regular Felicity make up is toned down from her Goth look, right?

• Love 1

He's tireless. Hope he doesn't have an early call time tomorrow.

Does anybody know what SA did in Chicago and Phoenix? Were there other events he took part in, or was it just for changing flights?

This must've happened during media interviews - warning: rest of article (not quoted) contains Flash spoiler...

At the Arrow/The Flash PaleyFest panel in Los Angeles, we asked some of each show’s male cast members which of the female characters they’d choose to be....
As for the Arrow universe, Colton Haynes, a.k.a. Arsenal, and John Barrowman, the unstoppable antagonist Malcolm Merlyn, also discussed their picks.

“I’d definitely be Felicity [smoak],” said Haynes. “She’s super smart and she’s got options with what she could do with her life and who she’s gonna be with, which means she’s kind of a boss.

When the woman behind everyone’s favorite IT girl, Emily Bett Rickards, was told that only Haynes chose the great Ms. Smoak, she had this to say: “What? Are they crazy? Every character should be Felicity! She’s smart, and she’s funny, and she keeps it lighthearted, and she wants to make things not so serious and dreary all the time, and that is a good motto for life and everyone should listen.”

But setting aside Gustin’s answer, it was Barrowman who stole the show with the reason behind his choice. “This is gonna be a really good answer. I’d like to be Black Canary,” said Barrowman, “because she gets to have a girlfriend and a boyfriend.”

Grant Gustin Talks Which Female Character on ‘The Flash’ He’d Be, Unveils Spoiler in the Process
Tara Aquino | March 15, 2015 6:15 pm

http://www.vh1.com/celebrity/2015-03-15/grant-gustin-the-flash-caitlin-spoiler/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

EBR needs a new glam squad STAT. She is is gorgeous but almost every time she does an event I shake my head at her hair/outfit. The makeup person can stay.

Stephen is amazing for keeping his commitment for the Kansas City Con. People may say what they want about his acting but he is an incredible guy.

• Love 2

EBR needs a new glam squad STAT. She is is gorgeous but almost every time she does an event I shake my head at her hair/outfit. The makeup person can stay.

Stephen is amazing for keeping his commitment for the Kansas City Con. People may say what they want about his acting but he is an incredible guy.

I know he was accused of being wooden in early S1 (I actually found his acting nuanced and spot on for a character suffering from PTSD, as well as being very different from his roles on Hung, Vampire Diaries, Private Practice and New Girl) but are people still questioning his acting chops? That's a shame because I think he's gotten better and better over the past three seasons.

Edited by dcinmb
  • Love 11

Yeah, I might. I hope I do - Stephen seems to get into fandom, so maybe he really does like it. But when I think about him wanting to do live-reads, I just can't imagine that being a good, positive thing for the person who wrote that story, so it just makes me a little wary. On the other hand I can't imagine him saying that publicly and intending to make fun of the people who wrote the stories he wanted to live read, but sometimes there's a fine line between enjoying/laughing at/making fun. 

I think live reads would only work with intentionally funny, crack-y fics. Reading a 'bad' fanfic to make fun of it would just be mean to the author and unnecessary (what if it's a very young girl?) and the good ones would give second-hand embarassment anyway, IMO.

• Love 1