Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

writersblock51, I think I like your husband.

I wonder if they expected negative reaction to these episodes and did a preemptive social media push.  Or maybe they genuinely want to thank KC for waiting so long to become the Black Canary.  If it's the latter, that explains some of the sense of entitlement.

KC has been better lately about saying nice things about her co-workers in interviews but it seems like she has to be told to do so.

MG's interview at assignmenttx (slightly spoilery till Wednesday)

X: Without Oliver there, does this mean other characters are going to fundamentally have to change in order to fill the void of his absence?

GUGGENHEIM: I think exactly what it means is, they fundamentally have to change and so if Oliver does return, he’s going to return to a very different Lair and a different set of dynamics. Our goal with the show is, everyone should always be growing and everyone should always be developing. We start each episode off in terms of, what are the character journeys for this episode? So the show hopefully is never in statis. Hopefully, It’s never just one thing. I know people sometimes are very nostalgic [about], “Oh, we just like to see the troika of Felicity, Diggle and Oliver.” And we do, too. We love writing that troika. But the show has also grown and developed even beyond that, and part of the fun for us as writers is exploring the different character dynamics.

Translation:  If you're like me and want the show to centre around O/D/F again, you're SOOL.

It may be fun for him; it's painful for me to see what they're doing to Diggle and Felicity.

• Love 4

MG's interview at assignmenttx (slightly spoilery till Wednesday)

Translation:  If you're like me and want the show to centre around O/D/F again, you're SOOL.

It may be fun for him; it's painful for me to see what they're doing to Diggle and Felicity.

That whole quote make me bitter. Stop focusing on having fun as a writer and may be a better writer.

Giving the audience some of what they want because you took away the elements that made it enjoyable and lost the balance for the show, for Plot Contrivance, isn't limiting MG as writer. Maybe people would enjoy the new elements (and stop bothering MG for the Trokia") if they were organic instead of forced.

• Love 10

Wow. That's nice for those people who only kept watching the show because of Original Team Arrow. 

I understand that the show and the team has to evolve otherwise things grow stale but they have completely lost what was great about the trio dynamic of Felicity, Diggle and Oliver. If they had a few scenes just the three of them every now and then I'd be happy but they're not even doing that. Ugh, this is so frustrating. I give up.

The show moving forward and expanding would have been fine, if the writers could actually handle it. But they can't. They don't know how to write a show with an ensemble cast without sidelining other characters. If they focused on writing to their strengths rather than getting over excited about new costumes, this season would have been a hell of a lot better. 

• Love 9

Stephen Amell sometimes uses very harsh words when posting on Facebook.

Regarding fans sending him a video of the Danish trick archer Lars Andersen SA wrote:

"Everyone can stop sending me the video of that Danish archer. Is it impressive? Sure. Would he be as accurate if I punched him really hard in the mouth. I say no."

I guess there was some backlash in the comments, because some time later he added:

"Incidentally, if you're actually taking this post seriously and think I'm - even a little - mad or jealous, you should probably head outside for a nice long walk. Clear your head. High five a bunch of people. Hop backing on the winning things side!!! We're having a blast over here."

It might not have been wise, though, to start the whole topic in the first place, because it's creating some negative buzz that SA certainly doesn't like. For example, "comicbooknews" posted an article (written by Matt McGloin) that has the following headline: "Stephen Amell Wants To Punch This Guy In The Face". Now, it must be said immediately that this headline distorts the facts, as the author himself admits: "Obviously, Amell doesn't really want to punch the guy in the face, but we get the picture" (http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/stephen-amell-wants-punch-guy-face).

What do you think about SA's post? It got quite a lot of likes, and it seems that many fans think his remark is funny or badass. I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I understand that it gets on his nerves and nags him when some news that praise a third person (unrelated to the show) get posted over and over again on his FB page. I'm fine with him asking people to stop doing this. On the other hand, his use of language bothers me. It seems somehow misplaced to me that he talks about punching Anderson in the face (though it's only hypothetically). After all, it's not the Danish archer's fault that people talk about him on SA's page. Besides that, it sounds rude IMHO. SA himself wants his page to be a hatefree zone where people interact in a civilized way with each other, and he's already complained several times in public about all the vitriol that is poured in social media. So why does he contribute to venting spleen on other people?

Edited by Kordi
  • Love 2

I think he was joking re: the punching. He meant that even if that guy is impressive, Oliver is still better because he manages to hit his targets even when he gets hit, punched, and so on..

• Love 3

Oliver Queen is so impressive and SA so approachable that people tend to forget that he's really just a guy who likes sports and can lose his temper.  If people keep sending him the clip, I understand him going "Why don't you just read before you send???"

His point was that Oliver Queen needs more skills than just archery to he can't be as good as this guy.  He could have made it better but it's still a valid point.

I was playing around on youtube yesterday and came across a clip of SA and Cassandra leaving a hockey game and the pap coming up and asking if his abs were real or airbrushed. He joked around for a while which would have made a nice clip but the guy would stop it so finally he took his wife's hand and walked away.  He's got more tolerance for idiots than I have.

• Love 2

Might be Stephen a bit pissed about that video because of an article that supposedly refutes half the things that Danish guy is doing. Someone posted a link to that article as a comment on the post stephen wrote.

Again not sure who is right, but i agree with Stephen, it must be annoying getting this kind of info over and over again.

Thank you all for your comments on SA's FB post (see above). I didn't interpret it from Oliver Queen's perspective when I read it for the first time. It makes sense to look at it from the character's point of view. When Oliver shoots arrows, he must fight against villains who attack and strike back in every possible way. This is not the same as targeting motionless non-human objects like Anderson does in his video. I still think that SA's phrasing was somehow unfortunate, but yes, granted, you can't expect him to be always diplomatic, reticent and weighing his every word.

If it was from Oliver's POV, I think he'd have written, "Would he be so accurate if he had to punch people in the mouth?" 

I find SA pretty amusing, but he doesn't think through some of the stuff that he posts. I think the comment's funny, but it's something he should post to his personal Facebook or where only his friends can see it, not something he should put on his official page. 

• Love 3

Aww, it's a shame I hate Ray so much. BR seems like such a nice guy.

Yeah, he was retweeting some hate he was getting on twitter today.  

NFMIysn.jpg

And then after a lot of people supported him, he tweeted this:

1f7YBkX.jpg

I do think it's ironic that Stephen would use an expression towards someone that sounds like hate when he speaks against it and people on twitter doing the same.  I get what he was trying to say if it was from an Oliver perspective, but I do think it's a bad choice and makes him look a bit hypocritical. 

How dare Stephen Amell be a person with foibles!

I certainly didn't say that nor am I outraged by him being human.  I just find it interesting in light of his other comments about the meanness of people.  YMMV of course. 

• Love 4

I don't think he meant that at all in a serious way that he would hurt someone over archery.  But if he did have a moment of human hypocrisy, well welcome to the club.   That's all I'm saying. 

• Love 2

I don't think he meant that at all in a serious way that he would hurt someone over archery.  But if he did have a moment of human hypocrisy, well welcome to the club.   That's all I'm saying. 

For someone so outspoken about how negative and nasty people can be on the internet, he has a lot of them. Personally I don't care; I find him amusing when he tweets or posts things like that on Facebook, AND when he goes on a deleting spree after he realizes it might not have been such good idea to do it.

• Love 7

Wow, ouch that tweet about br being the worst superman ever.

He seems like a nice guy but he should just start embracing the role of a super villain because I think he could rock it.

• Love 1

For someone so outspoken about how negative and nasty people can be on the internet, he has a lot of them. Personally I don't care; I find him amusing when he tweets or posts things like that on Facebook, AND when he goes on a deleting spree after he realizes it might not have been such good idea to do it.

I've noticed that as well - pretty much his MO since I've been following him (at around 200,000 FB followers).  As much as he claims to be so easy-going and to "not care what other people think" much of the time, I feel like he wants to be like that but then he gets very reactionary when someone posts something negative towards him or he gets annoyed with something.  

But that is just part of his "real guy" charm ;)

• Love 2

As far as I know, SA just loves Parenthood, that's it. He's a fan of the show. He's, also, a fan of Mad Men and Wrestling (2 other shows he talks about a lot).

ETA: Hah. Jinx, catrox14.

Edited by SleepDeprived
  • Love 2