Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

I figured they were for gripping. They kind of remind me of Gymnast grips and the taping that they use. Still looks stupid. I think of fingerless gloves as a 80's pop star thing :p (Madonna, Micheal Jackson, Prince...)

It would have been nice to see them actually dance... Although the video was adorable. Love the new marketing angle of the CW... just get everybody else to do your marketing/advertising for you. :)

Edited by kismet
  • Love 3

I reloaded and restarted that video 3 time trying to figure out why I couldn't see her tap dancing. Cute video, although I would have loved to see Marcel dance...he's yummy.

That was so adorable! I love CMD--he's gorgeous and has a rather sexy voice! I can't give up on The Originals because of him and Joseph Morgan (who's Klaus is hot in a very Shakespearian-tortured-bad boy way)!

Also, I always marvel at how brilliantly white EBR's bathtub is in her videos! I'm sure she or someone scrubs it regularly, but the quality of our water here never allows anything to get that white.

I love CMD--he's gorgeous and has a rather sexy voice! I can't give up on The Originals because of him and Joseph Morgan (who's Klaus is hot in a very Shakespearian-tortured-bad boy way)!

Agree totally - those two are the reason I'm still watching!

From SA's solo Friday panel (9/4) at Dragon Con (warning - includes footage of S4 trailer)...

Dragon Con 2015 Stephen Amell Arrow Panel

Published on Sep 12, 2015, by Carmen Alexis

-- Fan asked what he did differently to prepare for his WWE match as opposed to preparing for Arrow. SA: "I would've gotten a tan. (audience laughs)  I didn't realize all the wrestlers were tanning. I looked like powder [not sure of word] out there.... No, seriously, I looked really white."

-- Fan asked if it was safe for him to return to wrestling matches and if Stardust was holding a grudge.  SA said that Stardust seems to be holding a grudge and that there wasn't finality to the feud.

-- Fan mentioned that SA was the first to audition for the OQ role and was so perfect for it, and asked how he prepared for his audition and also how he prepared in order to get so many layers in his emotional scenes. SA said that PB, for example, is "very stringent" in his preparation for a scene - he's practiced his lines, he has a routine whereby when he returns to Vancouver, he does "very specific Lance things" (like taking the train from the airport rather than hopping a cab, or going to a specific restaurant). SA: "I'm the exact opposite. I have to work so much on the show. I have to work every day, that I can't really focus on preparations so much as knowing the entire story, knowing where my character is, and then figuring out what the scene is and how I'm going to play it once it gets on its feet. And I really think that having that flexibility as an actor is really key. When it comes to auditioning, um, I stopped trying to be incredibly specific to the character. I would just go in for the first read and try to be an enthusiastic, exaggerated version of myself. Because I'm decent at being myself, as is everybody else. So they would go in there, they would say, 'oh, okay, this guy seems comfortable in his own skin, we kinda like the read.' Then they would give you direction and they tell you what they want from the character, as opposed to you trying to guess what they want. So you go in, just be happy Steve, and then they say, 'okay, so um, Oliver's about to kill somebody, so maybe get a little bit more on the level.'  Right? So that's my process."

-- Fan asked about EBR's character not originally planned to be an integral part of the show and if he knew Felicity was eventually going to Oliver's love interest.  SA: "The answer is no and no. The bare bones of making a TV show is that you are going to shoot a pilot, and we shot the pilot in March of 2012.  March, April, of 2012.  That pilot gets put together, gets picked up by the network, you go to the upfronts, and you announce that you're going to do a series, and you know - the best pilots set the table for a series, but at the same time they really need to be explosive and almost their own story, so that the show actually gets picked up in the first place. Then when you get into the bare bones of television production, we were completed - we had completed episode 9 before the pilot had actually premiered. So how do you know what's going to work? How do you know what's going to pop or resonate with an audience? You don't really know until people watch it. And, in the early going, after Emily's first appearance in the third episode, it was just people who saw the studio and the network cuts going, 'we enjoyed her performance', so we saw her again. And I knew that she was going to be an integral part of the show when all of a sudden they built her a set. (audience laughs) Right? When you build someone a set, they're going to be around for a little bit. (audience laughs and claps) And then she signed on as a regular. But you know, as late as - I don't know - probably the midway point of season 2, it was like, 'do you think that Oliver and Felicity will ever get together?' And I swear to God, the show runner said this, 'Absolutely not. Never.'  Which is why you never say never."

-- (Joined by RA) SA: "You all know my older cousin, Robbie." (audience laughs)  RA: "Stephen is seven years older than me."  SA: "Can't tell."  RA: "My least favorite question, who's older?  Stephen, by a day." 

-- RA was in Vancouver this week filming two tv shows, another episode of The Flash and the season finale of The X-Files.

-- SA did impersonation of RA talking to his agent on the phone: "Hello? Yeah, is it a genre show? (audience laughs) Yeah, I'll do it. For sure. I don't even know what show it is. (pause) Okay. Thanks very much."  RA (looking at SA): "There's a genre show I still haven't been on."  SA: "Don't look at me. It's not like I have any hand or anything... We'll get you on New Girl."

-- Fan asked, if he could pick any villain for the GA to go up against, who would he choose. SA: "Well, I don't know." He then asked RA, who replied, "Who can I play?"  SA then said that they have so many great villains still "lurking around", like Deathstroke and the Dark Archer.  Finally SA said that he likes the Riddler, "The Riddler's probably my favorite villain."  If anyone ever asks him what villain he would like to play, it's the Riddler.

-- SA said that you never know what JB's going to be doing. He might be operating a camera when he wasn't even supposed to be on set that day. When they lay down a scene with 6 people, they set down marks on the ground.  Everyone has a different color tape.  SA's tape color is green, DR's tape color is blue. He doesn't know what everyone else's tape colors are. SA said that the guy who lays the tape down went from Arrow to The Flash, and "when he lay my marks down, he purposely did it in pink to piss me off." SA just looked at him and said, "what are you doing?" and the guy said, "I was just waiting for you to notice" and he put back the green.  Anyway, they were doing a scene between 6 people, and everyone's moving around.  It's a difficult job to lay the tape down as the actors are moving through. Typically, that person is really conspicuous as they're moving around and you're saying the lines. They finished blocking a scene and, all of a sudden, SA looked down and laying down the final mark is JB.  SA: "He wasn't even supposed to work that day. Just in, doing random jobs.  And the crew burst out in laughter. He laughs in his loud, maniacal cackly way when he's really excited. And then he was gone. Didn't even say bye. That's the John Barrowman experience, in a nutshell."

-- SA said that they have a "super talented group of stunt coordinators and stunt performers." With the expanded universe (to Flash and LoT), former stunt guys (guys he "killed like 9 times" during season 1) are now stunt coordinators, coordinating episodes.

-- Fan apparently asked about favorite scenes or great moments.  In season 1, SA thought that the episode - where Tommy (CD) found out that Oliver is the Arrow and asked, "Were you ever going to tell me?" - was a real turning point for the show "both stylistically and just from a story perspective and a scale perspective".

-- In season 2, when he had a series of flashbacks with Susannah Thompson from before Oliver went on the boat, those were some of SA's last scenes with ST, and he was proud of them.

-- In season 3, SA said that he's "most proud of his fight with Ra's al Ghul on top of the mountaintop." Having just complete work on a feature film (TMNT2), he knew that that kind of scene would've taken a week of shooting if done in a movie.  As it was, they had to shoot that scene in a day, with not a lot of workable sun, shootable daytime. It was October, November in Vancouver. SA: "What we accomplished in a day, I'm incredibly proud of."

-- After SA shot the pilot for Arrow, he was in a store when RA called him and went "Wooo!"  SA asked, "What's going on ?" and RA said, "Well, your show got picked up."  SA immediately checked on Deadline, put it on facebook, put it on twitter, and then called RA and went, "Wooo!"  He then looked at the guy who was standing at the cash register and said, "I'll take everything I was looking at." He then got a screener of the pilot that he watched with RA and their friends.

-- Fan apparently asked about Felicity's double entendre line, "It feels really good having you inside me. And by ‘you.’ I mean your voice. And by ‘me,’ I mean my ear."  SA: "You just know that the writers have, like, just a giant list - they probably have a chalkboard full of double entendres. Because, listen, a lot of the people who write our show are - were originally sort of, uh, came up in writing stuff that's a little bit more the tone of The Flash in terms of - it's a little bit funny, it's little bit funnier, it's a little bit snappier, it's a a little more quirky. And Arrow was, in many ways, Arrow was a reaction to Smallville, a little bit, inasmuch as, you just wanted to make something different. It's not better or worse. You just wanted to make something different. And so you found - I think one of the reasons that people responded to Felicity, aside from Emily's performance, was that the writers really knew how to write for that character, and write those double entendres and the sentence fragments, and all those things, so um, yeah, that was a good one."  RA: "It's much cuter when she says it to you than when Victor says it to me."  SA: "Victor Garber can say anything he wants to me."

-- Female fan said that her boyfriend asked her to be his girlfriend by saying, "Will you be the Felicity to my Oliver?" (audience went 'ahhh' and clapped)  Moderator said, "Hope they stay together on the show."  SA: "That's very dark."

-- SA said that KC couldn't pronounce Nanda Parbat, she was saying "Amanda Poorbutt", so there's a scene in the blooper reel for S3 "where we're just dying."  SA also had a problem with a word.  He was weight training, hit his mouth and bit his tongue, and had a lisp for a few days, so he had a line in which he had to say the word "synopsis" and he could not say it. That made people laugh. He'll probably have to dub a few lines, except for one.  He had this scene with DR in episode 403 where DR said, "You think?"  SA then had to say, "Could be a coincidence" and he said, "Could be a cointhithence" because of his lisp. He asked to change the line to "I don't agree."

-- Fan asked if Oliver brushed his teeth on the island.  SA said that he probably didn't or he did it like they do on Survivor, using sand, or maybe he just didn't care.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

From SA's solo Friday panel (9/4) at Dragon Con (warning - includes footage of S4 trailer)...

. . . "But you know, as late as - I don't know - probably the midway point of season 2, it was like, 'do you think that Oliver and Felicity will ever get together?' And I swear to God, the show runner said this, 'Absolutely not. Never.' Which is why you never say never."

Didn't Stephen recently (in Birmingham?) say that he thinks Oliver realized he had feelings for Felicity in Ep. 6 of S2? Interesting that he was playing it that way if he thought nothing would ever come of it. Unless he thought it was just going to be four seasons of them stealing furtive, longing glances at each other.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure I believe that showrunner (MG? AK?) because the first part of Season 2 really built up the romantic aspects of Oliver and Felicity. 

OK, I watched that part of the video again and now I'm thinking this is not Stephen asking the show runners the question. SA might be referring to media speculation because that's when I think Olicity really began getting picked up by the more mainstream entertainment websites. And yeah, the show runners were still sorta underplaying Olicity in some interviews because they were already trying to set up the big finale switcheroo/ruse/big reveal.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 3

Yes, at the City of Heroes event in Birmingham (in May), a fan asked when Oliver first realized he was in love with Felicity. SA replied that, in episode 206, when Oliver told Felicity that because of the life they lead, what they do, it's better if they're not together, Oliver wouldn't have said that if it wasn't a tacit admission of his feelings.

His comments are sorta contradictory.  Maybe he was playing, and the writers were writing, Oliver as having feelings for Felicity starting in 206, but the decision had not (yet) been made to put them together. They could've kept their relationship platonic and slightly flirty, eventually putting them with other people. I don't know.  I still think something happened during S2 to explain the drastic change between 2A and 2B in regard to the O&F relationship.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

If they decided Felicity was gonna be for sure The One Love Interest To Rule Them All after they got audience feedback in the early S2 episodes, I can imagine the EPs going, "oh shit, we can't put them together this early, this is not how tv works, we need to stall, and stall hard". And then someone had the Sara switcheroo idea building up to the gotcha in the finale.

But 2A was most definitely writing Felicity as the love interest, no doubt about it.

• Love 1

Yes, at the City of Heroes event in Birmingham (in May), a fan asked when Oliver first realized he was in love with Felicity. SA replied that, in episode 206, when Oliver told Felicity that because of the life they lead, what they do, it's better if they're not together, Oliver wouldn't have said that if it wasn't a tacit admission of his feelings.

His comments are sorta contradictory.  Maybe he was playing, and the writers were writing, Oliver as having feelings for Felicity starting in 206, but the decision had not (yet) been made to put them together. They could've kept their relationship platonic and slightly flirty, eventually putting them with other people. I don't know.  I still think something happened during S2 to explain the drastic change between 2A and 2B in regard to the O&F relationship.

I think sometimes SA plays scenes & relationships the way he wants to. He seems to have an understanding of his character and just goes with it. Not to say the writers or the directors do not influence scenes. But a lot of the subtleties that gives his character so many layers, I think comes from his internal character guide. Perhaps his performances inspire them to write/direct in a certain way or maybe they just keep to their organic game plans. Either way it seems that at times SA has some ideas about the character/show that may differ from the showrunners.

• Love 6
Stephen Amell

20 hrs ·

Sometimes you need to put your differences aside for a good cause. So today... Stardust and I presented Emily's House in Toronto with a check for $297,557 and helped open the Dream Space Playroom in memory of Oliver "Odd Sock Ollie" Muirhead. Can't really put into words what a special morning this was. The people who work and volunteer and Emily's House are actual real life superheroes. The Muirhead family should know that their Son left a wonderful impression. And forgive the break in character for a moment, but Cody Rhodes is one of the most selfless, genuine human beings I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. What a day. SA

12003272_922790437806224_247075427195818

https://www.facebook.com/stephenamell/photos/a.510703882348217.1073741826.146921975393078/922790437806224/?type=1&theater

12009708_953738084668450_562551876817261

Stephen Amell ‏@amellywood

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Till next time @StardustWWE.

COzBaXXUYAA5PXo.jpg

9:38 AM - 13 Sep 2015

https://twitter.com/amellywood/status/643101512227520516

• Love 5

The workers at end of of care Facilities are superheros. Especially ones involving Children. Strong beautiful people making sure the dying and their families have as much comfort and joy as possible at such a wretched sad time. 

• Love 14

The workers at end of of care Facilities are superheros. Especially ones involving Children. Strong beautiful people making sure the dying and their families have as much comfort and joy as possible at such a wretched sad time. 

I agree. I don't know how they do it. They really are incredibly special people.

• Love 3

David Rapaport is the casting director for Arrow, Flash, LoT and Supergirl (wonder if he'll talk about any ot them)...

A Conversation with Casting Director David Rapaport and Acting Coach Anthony Meindl
Production Heads Network Inc.
Saturday, September 19, 2015 from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM (PDT)
Vancouver, BC
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/a-conversation-with-casting-director-david-rapaport-and-acting-coach-anthony-meindl-tickets-7399350657

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Next weekend's comic cons...

Wizard World's Columbus (Ohio) Comic Con, September 18-20, 2015
Karl Yune (David Ramsey cancelled due to filming)

Cincinnati Comic Expo, September 18-20, 2015
Katrina Law

Rose City Comic Con, September 19-20, 2015 (Portland, OR)
Brandon Routh and Manu Bennett

Edited by tv echo

How strange that she can't do it. I wonder if it has something to do with legalities regarding the "Canary Cry" or something? If it's in her contract, I don't blame her for not doing it, especially since those pics get posted everywhere now. 

That's a great account, though. Sounds like KC was really nice to that person.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1

Yeah I heard about that and it is such a weird/lame thing to put someone under contract for. Not as if they have her use it in any promotional material or that she is suited up. I guess she must've gotten in trouble the first time she did it last year. Guess this means that Amell wouldn't be able to hold a bow n'arrow.

She looks awful doing the face. It's no reflection on her, as others have said there is no way to make that facial expression flattering. I can only imagine the cruel things cruel people would do to a photo of anyone standing there with her mouth wide open. Its one thing when she is in full costume where she can get away with it not looking inappropriate but it street clothes the mean people would have a field day. She was either smart to put it in the contract or smart to find that loophole.

• Love 3

She looks awful doing the face. It's no reflection on her, as others have said there is no way to make that facial expression flattering. I can only imagine the cruel things cruel people would do to a photo of anyone standing there with her mouth wide open. Its one thing when she is in full costume where she can get away with it not looking inappropriate but it street clothes the mean people would have a field day. She was either smart to put it in the contract or smart to find that loophole.

She's already posed with a fan doing the Canary Cry and nothing bad happened, they could easily just take a picture of her doing from the show.

There are other comic book characters from Marvel and DC who open their mouths and have supersonic noises come out. This is something so simple, it would be like saying that Henry Cavill can't do the Superman pose in pictures.

True but the superman pose can't be turned into something explicit & degrading. A female in a still shot with her mouth wide open could be defaced electronically or with a sharpie in ways that would be disrespectful & unclassy to KC. Letting the general public have that picture is risky move, trademark or no. KC used to be a model, I'm sure shes been warned about what facial expressions to do or not do in still photos and various settings for various purposes. All I'm saying is it is smart for her to stay away from photo poses that could be used negatively against her.

She's already posed with a fan doing the Canary Cry and nothing bad happened, they could easily just take a picture of her doing from the show.

In the show her costume provides her PR protection as she was acting. Street clothes do not provide the same level of protection. Any altered photo would look like her. A few pics have remained untarnished, but the more that are out the greater the opportunity for mayhem. Perhaps she or someone on her team realized it late and that is why she has the new rule.

In the show her costume provides her PR protection as she was acting. Street clothes do not provide the same level of protection. Any altered photo would look like her. A few pics have remained untarnished, but the more that are out the greater the opportunity for mayhem. Perhaps she or someone on her team realized it late and that is why she has the new rule.

I could see that possibly happening if something did happen in the past. But it hasn't. 

Either it's new or she wasn't aware that was a term in her contract and someone from higher up told her to knock it off. I don't think it has anything to do with concerns of people defacing the pic or whatever. If someone wanted to, they could do that for any pic of any pose she was doing. Seems like this is something DC doesn't want her doing for whatever reason (or she doesn't want to do it, and is saying it's a contract thing - although she seems pretty accommodating, so I doubt that's it).

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2

I cou betterld see that possibly happening if something did happen in the past. But it hasn't.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Maybe they just don't want to put the potential out there. KC has her fans but she also has a lot of detractors. The social media world is a cruel place. The negative things some people were saying about her at Dragoncon with little evidence was shocking & disrespectful. So I can see someone close to her approaching KC after the May con and asking her if she really thought it was a good idea.

At the end of the day, im just trying to be in KCs corner. She gets a lot of unwarranted negativity. I don't think her not doing the canary cry face should reflect poorly on her. I think its a smart decision to not do it. If she changes her mind and wants to do it or gets the contract changed then more power to her. But I'm done trying to defend what I think is a good PR move on her part. There are msqny other more aesthetically pleasing ways she can be the BC in a photo.