Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

OK, I'm not going crazy then in noticing that TV Fanatic seemed to have made a conscious editorial choice to go the other way. Because I used to visit that site a lot during the early parts of the second season and most writers there seemed to love Felicity and Olicity. Even this particular blogger (it's Carissa Pavlica, right?). I don't know what happened but it was an abrupt 180-degree turn and suddenly the folks on the roundtables were hating on Felicity and Olicity without really providing reasons and just repeating the "she's whiny, she's always crying" and "it's taking over the show" complaint. 

Is it even that click-baity anymore? Honestly, I feel like this forum and Jenny Raftery reviews on Vulture are the only places left that don't get overwhelmed with constant anti-Felicity/Olicity raging.

Hi everyone, just a reminder this is the social media thread. If you want to talk about the social media of EBR and SA and Digg and all that this is the place to do it. We do have a media thread for discussion of interviewers and interviews. There is no thread for discussion of other fans and other websites' fans. IMDB fans may be misogynistic. Haters may hate. But that's all off topic.

• Love 3

I'm surprised they'd let someone so outright rude talk to the actors.. TV fanatic isn't exactly a small site and they do get invited to the set during the season to do interviews. Hopefully not this woman, though.

It's because they have zero supervision over those roundtables. It's really easy to get invited. Someone got herself invited to another show's roundtable with the express purpose of putting an actress on the spot to further a shipper agenda, and that was after she had written several insulting articles about the actress (not even the character, the actress herself) on her site. If the publicists checked the sites they give access to they would have found out the articles, but they didn't.

• Love 3
(edited)

From what i am hearing the same reporter from TvFanatic was rude to Candice Patton also. And they gave Leah Pipes an award for character that needs to get the fuck off the show.

Edited by Velocity23

From what i am hearing the same reporter from TvFanatic was rude to Candice Patton also. And they gave Leah Pipes an award for character that needs to get the fuck off the show.

My only experience with the Originals is the backdoor pilot on TVD (She is carrying your child - made me exit pretty quickly) so I have very limited knowledge of Leah Pipes, but I hear she basically said F*** You to them. I appreciate her and Emily's responses for different reasons.

I think that TV Fanatic made the decision to be outlet that stirs up trouble. They love the attention. It's probably not going to happen but I wish more people would get in their face. It seems to me they cross the line with the female actors on the show but leave the guys alone.

• Love 4

Wow, I don't like Cami and Leah Pipes isn't a good actress but that's pretty stupid on their part.  It's one thing for fans to bitch all over fandom but not for a "reporter" to do that to their face.  Shit even fans know better than to do that at panels and if they're rude/stupid they usually get dealt with by other fans.

• Love 3

I'm just really liking what I'm hearing from Wendy Mericle. She seems to "get it" in a way that MG never did. It makes my heart sing that she knows a good show can't just be all action, all the time, and that you have to have meaningful human interaction between characters too.

• Love 15

I'm just really liking what I'm hearing from Wendy Mericle. She seems to "get it" in a way that MG never did. It makes my heart sing that she knows a good show can't just be all action, all the time, and that you have to have meaningful human interaction between characters too.

yep, yep. what the new suit is taking WM is returning. I still hate the new suit, but i'm gonna be positive about it being replaced to a suit that actually makes sense for a crime fighting person.

Wow, I don't like Cami and Leah Pipes isn't a good actress but that's pretty stupid on their part.  It's one thing for fans to bitch all over fandom but not for a "reporter" to do that to their face.  Shit even fans know better than to do that at panels and if they're rude/stupid they usually get dealt with by other fans.

The interviewer didn't do that to Leah's face--a writer for the site had done an end-of-season write-up about the show, and in that article said Cami needed to be killed off. (I think the site had said the same thing the previous season too.) Leah saw it apparently and called them out on it. The interviewer (who did not write the article and probably hadn't read it) was clearly thrown off, and in their tweets about it, the site account was all ass-kissy, "We love you!" I won't give them the clicks to find out, but I think the author of that article may have been the person who interviewed WM, EBR, etc.?

(edited)

This happened during the press roundtables at SDCC, so I guess it's a public appearance?...

AK was asked if the singularity that happened in the S1 finale of The Flash would affect the other shows in the same universe (Arrow, LoT), and he said that it would be referred to on the other shows and also that "the ramifications of it will play out, certainly on Arrow... you'll have to sorta watch how that happens."

Andrew Kriesberg SDCC 2015 Press Roundtables

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

From this MG interview at SDCC...

- MG says outright that they're not going to use time travel on LoT to retcon something on Arrow. (whew!)

- MG says outright that the whole story of Sara's resurrection will be covered on Arrow.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Seeing MG handling most of the press SDCC for LoT and WM handling most of the press for Arrow is making me mucho happy, guys. Quick--someone please slap me down from my delusion in thinking this might be a sign as to their respective control over each show.

Must not get hopes ups. Must not get hopes up. Must not get hopes up.

• Love 4
(edited)

Phil Klemmer was at SDCC - he did a Friday panel with WM and other writers titled "Writing for TV: From First Draft to Getting Staffed".  He also did an IGN interview with BR and CL (posted in the LoT forum here).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I love that first photo of Katie with the little guy in the Arrow costume on the Tumblr site. Cute.

I scrolled down some and wondered about the series of Canary photos. Was that CL as Black Canary kind of morphing into White Canary? At first I thought it was KC as BC, then CL as WC. But the last split photo had me questioning that conclusion. And is that fan art, I'm assuming?

Haha Daughtry... I watched the interview with Wendy Mericle and it didnt seem so bad to me. She was asking relevant questions right? I like that Mericle asked for examples and then explained and admitted they may or not have been successful. I get what they were trying to do with Felicity now I think but I don't think it came across like they wanted just going by her explanation. I remember some people were worried about her being promoted but not sure why? Women need more representation so I think its a good thing. 

I work at my uncle's comic shop full time in summer and part time when I'm at college so I know fanboys and fangirls. I talk to a lot of people who come in here and some watch the show and some don't. My bf and I host viewing parties or Flash and Arrow and I think it's fair to say some people didn't really like Felicity's story bc that was like almost everyone in our viewing party which is usually like 15-20 people. It wasnt bc she was crying, it was bc she didn't really have much story, or it seemed like that to us when we talked about it after the episodes. She got stuck with the same plot Laurel had in season 1. So okay fair but nearly everyone also hated the way the Black Canary arc was done too. And Ted Grant poor guy FML for real that they downplayed that character. Everyone liked Thea's arc bc it played out all season which is kinda what we thought the Black Canary arc should have done. Were people just upset that the reporter seemed to be picking on just one character maybe? I get why fans were upset about the Emily interview bc she was rude to her, I don't think it's right to start telling actors fans think they ruined the show. Thats just like reporting on hate but the Mericle interview didn't seem rude to me. And really the con disagreed with her statement bc I was at the panel and that crowd loved her and you cant say it's all shippers at something like sdcc. I think it would be fair to say a lot of people didn't like the story but it didn't ruin the character or the show. I thought Oliver's identity crisis thing kinda did that haha bc I never understood it really. 

Sorry about any typos I'm on my phone and we've been buys at the shop today so not much time. So exciting they're filming again!!!!

• Love 8
I legit couldn't care less if KC does her own stunts or not. Barrowman doesn't lift an arm. Colton didn't to any of his. I just need the stunt folks to figure out how to make better transitions between Atlin and KC so that I can keep my disbelief well suspended. Same as I needed for Matt Nable and his stunt guy, whose face is probably more familiar to me than Nable's, he spent so much time facing the camera.

That's sometimes been a camera, not a stunt problem.  I'm hoping that the announcements that the show is building a new, larger Arrow Cave and has hired a name actor for Damien Darkh indicate that somewhere down the line, someone has loosened the financial strings, which should help Arrow have additional cameras during stunt sequences, which should help.

Or I'm hoping in vain.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yeah, but I mean, the stunt crew works with the Second Unit to block the stunt scenes ahead of the episodes. And if they're short on space, or short on cameras, the stunts have to adapt to make it look more seemless.

Edited by dancingnancy

I don't think Nable did any stunts. Which isn't an issue - very few actors do. 

The issue is that Arrow is on a very tight filming schedule, with a reduced budget and limited sets - at least one or two of which it shared with Flash every single episode. In some cases Arrow and Flash were sharing three sets, or two sets and an outdoor location.  That limits the setup time.  I'm pretty sure this is part of why so many episodes are filmed with "Writer on Set," because they're having to do last minute script rewrites to cover production problems. 

Arrow was also on a limited budget in its first two seasons, of course, but it didn't have the additional issue of needing to share sets with another show.

Not incidentally, this is my main concern about Legends. If this leaps up to three shows sharing soundstages/sets/location shots...yikes. 

• Love 7
(edited)

I feel like there's a ton of blame to go around for the disaster that was S3. Other than some of the actors, I blame ERRYONE. Stunts sucked. Writing sucked. Theme sucked. Camerawork largely sucked. Fair amount of the acting sucked. Sets sucked. Continuity sucked. Hair and makeup and clothing was iffy at best.

"I don't think Nable did any stunts. Which isn't an issue - very few actors do. "

Nable did some of the sword-fighting. You could see his face. I consider tv sword-fighting to be a stunt. Like KC, it's not his fault he's not good at stunts. But it still sucked, particularly the really slow and boring and screwed-up (penultimate sword thrust very visibly outside Ra's body) final Oliver/Ra's fight scene.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 3

I also worry about the effect of three shows splitting limited production space.

I'm curious if anyone knows Damian Darhk's actor's stunt expertise.  I imagine, as a previous member of LoA and someone Ra's feared, the character must be intimidating in combat, but I think I'd like to see a Big Bad who Oliver doesn't go mano a mano against.  Malcolm, Slade, and Ra's all got that final duel, and I realize that it's a comic trope for good reason (exciting and visually clear about who is winning), but I'd like something different this year.  Oliver can square off with mooks (all played by stunt pros) and maybe a henchman or two, but I'd like Damian's real threat to be political, devious, and maybe a bit magical via props.

• Love 2

If anything, adding LOT to the roster means there's even less money/crew/resources to go around. LOT is going to require both visual effects like Flash and stunts like Arrow. TPTB certainly aren't going to want to start their new show on a bad foot, and Flash gets so much love from the EPs, I worry that Arrow is going to take the hit, again.

(edited)

I forever wish Arrow would stop framing entire episodes around one or two action scenes. Because that's what they do -- they come up with the big action sequence of the week, and then they do all sorts of plot-driven crap to force the characters to arrive at the point where that action scene fits. Which imo ends up making the stunt sequences kind of shallow. Very few of them have emotional resonance, or add a twist to the storyline, because they don't move the story forward, they're the end point. And then it's usually all fight/stunts and no dialog, which make them even more empty. Quippy fight scenes are character driven. Whatever Arrow does re: action scenes? They're not story, they're just ornamental.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 7
(edited)

My concern with Wendi comes from the previous episodes she was attached too. They weren't the strongest. I'm hopeful that the parts I didn't like were the influence of other parties.

I'm devolping a bit of a girl crush on her at this point. Ever interview I'm more and more impressed. She handled the interview very well. The interviewer wasn't as hostile with her. I like the acknowledgment that the storyline wasn't a home run. I get the impression she understands in a MG doesn't. MG refuses to acknowledge they screw up.

Felicity didn't have a storyline in S3. That was the problem. Ray had a storyline. He was building his suit with his assistant. He was going to be a hero. Felicity was window dressing. It was jarring to watch her go from The Arrow Show to the Ray Show and it did a massive disservice to her because they never allowed her to explain her motivations to anything. She was a pawn.

It's just frustrating to hear her get the blame for a terrible seasons. It's BS. And whenever they blame Olicity, Oliver seems to get a free pass.

I know she is still favourite character if you go by every con and buzz. I just can't wait for her to get some agency back and some spark.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 12

I think that if there's one thing that the cons showed me is that Wendy is better at looking at the bigger picture than MG is, however, when it comes to actually writing episodes, MG is stronger than Wendy. The thing is that I don't think Wendy cares about the comics therefore she doesn't give a damn about masks and how to get them in it and action, she looks at characters, their strengths and weaknesses, and can create a clear plan on how to improve said characters therefore improving said show.

That being said, I think there can be a sort of synergy created in pairing Wendy and Marc. Marc can handle the plot (which can be monitored by Wendy -- No orgy of plot twists) and Wendy can handle the characterization. I think it's a win-win. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I'm willing to forgive and forget Wendy's episodes if she follows through on the stuff she said at SDCC.

And we don't know how much of the shooting scripts are from the credited writers, and how much is from Guggenheim, who IS the one who signs off on the final draft. How much re-writing did he do in any script, we'll never know.

214 traumatized me for life, but otoh, could ANYONE come up with a good script that?

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 3
(edited)

I did find it curious that they brought on someone whose background is one hour dramas. I would have thought that with LOT coming to friction as well that they would want to continue the heavy comic elements. I'm wondering if they realised you can't just throw the comics into a show and expect them to fit, like the Black Canary arc like Wildcat like Ra's and the LOA. Those characters had names but no foundation. The characterisation wasn't there to make them a success. The same why it wasn't there for Oliver and Felicity. They had a moment in mind (the ride into the sunset ) but they didn't lay the bricks right.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 3
(edited)

They had a moment in mind (the ride into the sunset ) but they didn't lay the bricks right.

Yeah, I'm one of about three Olicity shippers who basically hated the ride into the sunset. It felt entirely unearned and abrupt to me, and I don't believe that the Felicity I spent nearly three years getting to know would have gone for that after all the shit that went down with Oliver, both over the season and 24 hours prior. I definitely want them together, just not like that. I'm pretty much hoping S4 is so awesome that I can erase S3 from my memory.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 4