Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

You're telling me a late second round pick who likely wouldn't have been drafted if his last name was Smith isn't lighting it up?  Well, I, for one, am shocked.  Shocked, I tell you.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)

Another good game from Bronny last night. Scoring 13 points with 3 assists in another Lakers victory. After a bad start, Bronny has put in a couple of good games. Bronny is playing better at this moment than Alex Sarr (sucky ass Washington Wizards) currently. Alex Sarr went scoreless on Wednesday Night (0-15) in a loss & he scored only 2 points (1-6) last night in a win.

Bronny James scores 13pts in BEST Summer League Game FULL Highlights (Lakers 93 - Cavaliers 89)

Somehow, I will not be surprised if Bronny plays better & has a better rookie season than Alex Sarr in the upcoming NBA Season.

Edited by Magog
(edited)

I know that some of you guys are very disappointed that LeBron will be the male flag bearer in the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics. I'm not one of them. I'm certain that he will appreciate this honor during his probable last trip to the Olympics.

BTW, the Miami Heat are the winners of the 2024 NBA Summer League. Yay.

Edited by Magog
  • Wink 1
1 hour ago, Magog said:

I know that some of you guys are very disappointed that LeBron will be the male flag bearer in the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics. I'm not one of them. I'm certain that he will appreciate this honor during his probable last trip to the Olympics.

BTW, the Miami Heat are the winners of the 2024 NBA Summer League. Yay.

No Lebron is a good choice. Congrats to him. Giannis will also be the Greek flag bearer and Dennis Schroeder the German flagbearer.

From a logistical standpoint being an NBA player is a good flag bearer because they're so tall so everyone can see them.

Also among totally mindless but happy news, apparently Kevin Durant and Angel Reese are dating?

• Mind Blown 1
  • Wink 1

IIRC, everyone that's part of the USA Olympic team (not just basketball players) were thrilled that James got the nod.  For me, regardless of whatever, that is a great thing.

Unlike the NBA (TV contract to be specific), someone actually made a decision that makes sense

4 minutes ago, Carey said:

IIRC, everyone that's part of the USA Olympic team (not just basketball players) were thrilled that James got the nod.  For me, regardless of whatever, that is a great thing.

The athletes vote on who gets to do it, so it would be kind of odd if the team was annoyed.  Lebron's been on multiple Olympic teams, so it's not like he's a newbie.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, baldryanr said:

The athletes vote on who gets to do it, so it would be kind of odd if the team was annoyed.  Lebron's been on multiple Olympic teams, so it's not like he's a newbie.

It sure would have been weird if the team wasn't happy about it.  TBH, the haters in and out of the media are the ones livid.  Nobody in the league or here I don't believe.

My issue with the league that I sort of referenced was related to their handling of their coverage in a period where the NFL is picking off all of their decent TV spots amid their ratings dominance.  To be brief, the NBA on TNT (with the star-studded Inside the NBA) was one of the greatest things on television.  Despite a recent 24-hour period on how that might not be dead, it's the end of the road for coverage of the NBA on TNT after all these years.  While I didn't comment on last months reports on Charles calling it quits, I don't think it makes sense for him to "start over" elsewhere at this point.

Probably no sense in commenting on what the ratings will look like going forward, until the conclusion of the 2027 NBA Finals.  If it goes in a positive direction, alright.  However, it took a hit over the postseason.  Not great, especially since there are several that are irate over the fact that the NFL will be doing their thing on Christmas every year going forward.  To add insult to injury, the latter is about to put its most important game during a weekend that has been "reserved" for the NBA during their all-star weekend (Presidents Day).

When my time ends on Planet Earth, I'll still wonder how the Turner guys never got one chance at working an NBA Final.  Maybe it's not baffling at all, but to me it sure is!

• Like 1

The Olympic team coach actually sat Tatum for an entire game? 
Really?
Is Kerr deliberately trying to insult one of the top 5 players in the game?
Geez...I used to respect Kerr.  That Mickey Mouse move is really inappropriate. 🤪

Here is the ESPN article that focuses on Charles Barkley sort of doing a 180.

TBH, I think it's good news, especially when it comes to some overlooked details (TNT and CBS teaming up for March Madness).  I guess if a lawsuit plays out, maybe the new NBA deal isn't final.  IDK.

As mentioned, Chuck (who'll be 62 in six calendar months from now) is a big deal when in comes to television personalities in the history of television.  He is under contract for another 8 years.  Probably made no sense to announce a retirement when he did, other than to help TNT maintain the rights for the league.

Money does talk, but IMO, the team of Chuck, Shaq, Ernie, and Kenny can continue elsewhere.  They really do not need a TV package for that to happen.  Finally, I do think Barkley is rather loyal.  Amid his diss on ESPN, I don't think anyone could get him unless they brought along the other three.  Sir Charles wasn't about to do a deal where it's him but with Malika, Stephen A, Perk, and Wilbon.  Or with NBC, Maria over EJ.  Not to disrespect Taylor, but Ernie, Charles, the Jet, and O'Neal are very close.

Of course, it probably would not have mattered anyway since Ernie has no plans of "starting over" a.k.a. going elsewhere at this point.  He still does work in other sports.  Plus as mentioned, TNT is getting more sports, including the French Open, and some coverage of the new CFB Playoff.

For me, nothing lasts forever; I've trended toward doing away with my viewership of studio shows.  Just something I've decided to do at my age since I've followed a lot of people in the past.  No time to focus on someone new.  If I was a couple decades younger that would be different.

• Like 1
(edited)

Here are the Christmas Day games for the upcoming 2024-2025 season. 

Spurs - Knicks:  I'm only here for Wemby & its not surprising that ESPN & Adam Silver would have us suffer once again by putting the rotten scummy Knicks again on Christmas. 😠 There is nothing special or magical about the Knicks playing at MSG at Christmas. 😠

Timberwolves - Mavericks: That game sounds very enjoyable to me. 

76ers - Celtics: Meh.... And didn't we get this game last Christmas? At least, we won't have to deal with that loser James Harden bringing his usual brand of suck like last season. He's now doing that to the Clippers.

Lakers - those Warriors: Another dose of LeBron & Steph being Steph on Christmas. Yay 😒. Another chance for ESPN/ABC to show their usual bootlickiing to Steph & those Warriors. 🤬  I know that ESPN is very very happy that their hero was a major help in that game against Serbia with his 36 points with 9 3-pointers. 🤬

Nuggets - Suns: The Suns are going to suck this upcoming season so I don't know why we have to be subjected to their suckiness on Christmas. 😒

Edited by Magog
  • Useful 2

Opening Night for the 2024-2025 season is about 2 months away & here are the 2 games on Opening Night to start the season.

Knicks at Celtics : I hope that the Knicks fall flat on their faces on that night & many more after that this season.

Timberwolves at Lakers : An upcoming Superstar (Anthony Edwards) vs the present Superstar (LeBron James). Hopefully, the Lakers will make watching the Spectrum Sportsnet Lakers Postgame Show very entertaining this season.

On 8/15/2024 at 3:19 PM, Magog said:

Knicks at Celtics : I hope that the Knicks fall flat on their faces on that night & many more after that this season.

New York didn't extend Randle as of present time, did they?

If Dolan feels the need to be more involved than he was not too long ago, it might be a safe or decent bet that they will fall flat on their faces.  But not before "falling with the faces bouncing on the floor" a ton of times before settling there.  Every night

On 8/6/2024 at 8:08 PM, Carey said:

Here is the ESPN article that focuses on Charles Barkley sort of doing a 180.

TBH, I think it's good news, especially when it comes to some overlooked details (TNT and CBS teaming up for March Madness).  I guess if a lawsuit plays out, maybe the new NBA deal isn't final.  IDK.

As mentioned, Chuck (who'll be 62 in six calendar months from now) is a big deal when in comes to television personalities in the history of television.  He is under contract for another 8 years.  Probably made no sense to announce a retirement when he did, other than to help TNT maintain the rights for the league.

Money does talk, but IMO, the team of Chuck, Shaq, Ernie, and Kenny can continue elsewhere.  They really do not need a TV package for that to happen. 

Just catching up and saw this post.  I do think there's a good chance that Inside continues in some form.  As has been speculated elsewhere, it might be possible for them to present a fun weekly show with the TNT crew even if they can't  broadcast the games.  I agree that Ernie isn't going anywhere and glad that Charles is loyal to him and TNT, I imagine the others will feel the same.    Here's hoping that Inside continues in some format beyond next year.

• Like 1

I know that you guys & (especially) ESPN are absolutely thrilled that a couple of days ago, those Warriors extended Steph's contract for one yr worth $62.6 Million. His contract will now end in 2027. Yay. 😠

Even though, Steph is happy that he got that contract extension,  he would of been much more happier if those Warriors would of used that some of that money to resign Klay Thompson. 

Steph, that douchebag Joe Lacob, & those Warriors are about to find out the hard way this upcoming season just how much they're going to miss Klay Thompson.

• Applause 1

I'm a Klay stan, but I will be the first to tell you that his injuries seem to have caught up with him. He isn't the same guy he once was, and I don't think he ever will be. I do wish him the best at Dallas. 

• Like 1
(edited)

The Warriors barely made the play-in with Klay, so it's not like they lost the key to their championship aspirations.

Steph's at the point in his career where he's just padding his numbers, so kudos to him for grabbing another giant payday like Kobe did in his last Lakers years.  He and Lebron aren't going to be grabbing a fifth ring unless they plan to take a paycut and play the role of human victory cigar.  Being the hero and MVP of the Olympics is a fitting exclamation point for their legacies.

Edited by baldryanr
  • Like 3

I haven't heard very much from LeBron for about a month. Its been kind of a blessing in disguise. 

In other news, the wretched scummy Knicks made a trade with the Timberwolves last night. The Knicks are getting Karl Anthony Towns from the Timberwolves. The Timberwolves are getting Julius Randle & Donte DiVincenzo from the Knicks. The trade is still a work in progress. But, it should be finalized in the coming days.

Wow, truly so sad about Mutombo. He played his last five seasons with my Rockets and even into his 40's he was such a defensive force when he subbed in for Yao. And who he was as a person made me even more grateful that he wore our uniform. Someone with such a bright spirit and left such a lasting impact on the world through his humanitarian efforts.  Rest easy and thanks for everything, Deke. 

• Like 10
(edited)

In news that should be shocking to no one, Kawhi is out indefinitely

He's the Bill Walton of the 21st century.  We can only imagine what he would have been able to put together if he wasn't made of glass.

The Clipper are also screwed for the rest of the decade because they don't control their 1st round pick.  Two are gone (26 and 28).  25 and 27 are swaps with the Thunder, so that means they're likely getting picks at the end of the first round.  29 is a top 3 protected swap with the Sixers.

Edited by baldryanr