Type keyword(s) to search

The NBA

xaxat
  • Start Topic

18 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

Well, I'm sure the Celts called up the NFL to make sure they were being consistent with what the league did....

It’s across all leagues though, right? Players get suspended more for marijuana and other minor misconduct while spousal abuse, sexual assault, etc. barely gets anything, and nobody gets released for it (or if they do another team snatches them up). This is the first I’ve seen for a consensual relationship getting any punishment. Look below for the NBA suspensions, if you feel I should only be comparing within the league. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_banned_or_suspended_by_the_NBA

Edited by twoods
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, twoods said:

So he’s in a consensual relationship, but gets more of a suspension than Deshawn Watson. Got it.

This was not a league matter, this was a Celtics matter. What's against the rules for the Celtics may not be against the rules for say...the Suns.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Makes sense, and supposedly one of the women was the wife of their VP of Finance which is also probably why it’s a very long suspension.

At least the pile of crap owner of the Suns is selling his share of the team, but sucks that his punishment is likely making him richer since the Suns are worth more now than when he became a part owner and bought them at 400 million. 

Edited by twoods
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1

The whole story is weird and the Celtics are giving no details, only saying it was multiple violations (though one quote I thought they said 'a few' which implies two/ three) and essentially 'trust us it's justified we we researched it'  

I heard reports on the radio he was warned to stop and kept doing it , though that doesn't seem consistent with them just learning of it two months ago and doing a big investigation

First say consensual and now it wasn't. 

I don't know something is just very odd about it all. It seems the Celtics want the story to go away and hope this will end it. But their response and lack of details, a huge suspension with no details at all to the public, will do nothing of the sort. It will just encourage speculation, rumor and the idea there is something they are trying to hide. 

• Applause 2

Matt Barnes explaining why he walked back his defense of Udoka

He says he talked to someone who knows all the details, and it sounds really bad.  I wouldn't be surprised if Udoka never coaches another game for the Celts.  If you're giving a year long suspension he had to have done something that would have gotten any regular employee fired (seriously, who would just go back to work after being told to stay away for a year).

• Mind Blown 4
  • Love 2

Why didn't the Celtics just fire him anyway? Why did the Celtics say the relationship was consensual when it clearly appears it is not?

Maybe Boston was trying to avoid an NBA investigation but it sure looks like, via their actions, that they will prompt one.

24 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

Why didn't the Celtics just fire him anyway? Why did the Celtics say the relationship was consensual when it clearly appears it is not?

Maybe Boston was trying to avoid an NBA investigation but it sure looks like, via their actions, that they will prompt one.

You fire him you have to pay him. This way he's taken off payroll.

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, Lady Whistleup said:

You fire him you have to pay him. This way he's taken off payroll.

Wouldn't someone fired with cause be taken off payroll anyway? Severance doesn't apply if someone breaks the terms of their contract, and I would imagine Ime Udoka having non-consensual interactions with others within the Celtics organization qualifies in that way.

• Love 3

As mentioned elsewhere, it's mind-blowing that the guy got the same suspension as Sarver.  I did say that not every case is the same & each case is separate.  Fair or not, he's done in Boston.  Whether it's disclosed that more stuff has happened or not, what he's going down for is not cool, really

16 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

Wouldn't someone fired with cause be taken off payroll anyway? Severance doesn't apply if someone breaks the terms of their contract, and I would imagine Ime Udoka having non-consensual interactions with others within the Celtics organization qualifies in that way.

Only if he has a morals clause. He might have a guaranteed contract.

• Useful 1

And in much better news, Andre Iguodala announced he will be doing one more year as a player with the Warriors because our nursery is too large for just Kerr and the coaches as nannies and we have another championship to win! 😸🏀

• Sad 1
  • Love 1

His contract situation is going to be a distraction.  Yeah, he deserves a lot of respect for his role in those titles, but he's turning into a zero on offense, is entering his mid 30s, and there isn't going to be enough money left to pay him what he thinks he's worth.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, LexieLily said:

It says a lot about the Warriors, tbh, that they are allegedly more upset about the video being leaked rather than Draymond punched a teammate.

Every team in professional sports would react the same way.  Draymond punching a teammate?  If you like the guy it's just Draymond being Draymond (he's got competitive fire!), and if you don't then it's another example in a long list of how he's an asshole.  But leaking video?  No organization wants their out there.  Imagine if locker room talk was recorded and posted.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, LexieLily said:

So much for that. Kerr said he expects Draymond to be back with the team Thursday and he expects him to play the last game of preseason and opening night of the regular season.

From what I am hearing, it was Poole's decision, after a one-on-one meeting with Draymond. If JP is comfortable, I'm comfortable as a fan welcoming Dray back.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, isalicat said:

From what I am hearing, it was Poole's decision, after a one-on-one meeting with Draymond. If JP is comfortable, I'm comfortable as a fan welcoming Dray back.

@cambridgeguy put it better than I did in saying that it all depends on how you (the general you) feel about Draymond. Me personally, I think he's been enabled to get away with crap for years and this is just another item in the list. It will be very interesting to see who gets extensions this summer and who doesn't.

• Like 1
On 10/8/2022 at 7:04 AM, cambridgeguy said:
On 10/7/2022 at 10:26 PM, LexieLily said:

It says a lot about the Warriors, tbh, that they are allegedly more upset about the video being leaked rather than Draymond punched a teammate.

Every team in professional sports would react the same way.  Draymond punching a teammate?  If you like the guy it's just Draymond being Draymond (he's got competitive fire!), and if you don't then it's another example in a long list of how he's an asshole.  But leaking video?  No organization wants their out there.  Imagine if locker room talk was recorded and posted.

I don't have a problem with Draymond, but I still think it would've been better to take a higher ground.  Now I wouldn't bet on him doing that, but at the end of the day, this incident will be forgettable.  After all, physical altercations are not unprecedented in sports, especially amongst teammates

Edited by Carey
Be and Bet aren't really the same thing
  • Love 2

Opening night!

Has there ever been a team that has had a weirder off season than the Nets. They come into the season expecting big contributions from a guy who hasn't played in a year because of back and mental health issues. They have another player who missed major time because he wasn't vaccinated and who the team was apparently shopping around the league. And their best player asked for a trade and when it looked like that wasn't going to happen, he went to the owner and demanded that the head coach and GM be fired as a condition of his return.

And everybody is back (including the coach and GM) like nothing ever happened.

• Mind Blown 3
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

Has there ever been a team that has had a weirder off season than the Nets. They come into the season expecting big contributions from a guy who hasn't played in a year because of back and mental health issues. They have another player who missed major time because he wasn't vaccinated and who the team was apparently shopping around the league. And their best player asked for a trade and when it looked like that wasn't going to happen, he went to the owner and demanded that the head coach and GM be fired as a condition of his return.

And everybody is back (including the coach and GM) like nothing ever happened.

How about the Lakers? They tried like hell to get rid of Russell Westbrook & his 47 Million Dollar contract by any means necessary & they failed. I don't know why would anyone want Russell Westbrook & his 47 Million deal on their team just to buy him out & help out the Lakers in the process. Then they tried to get Kyrie Irving out of Brooklyn, but with that 47 Million Dollar man still on the team, it wasn't going to happen. Plus, I have to remotely care about LeBron & Kareem not liking each other (allegedly) because of LeBron passing him on the all time scoring list sometime in the season. Despite LeBron's best efforts as usual, another season of Laker failure will make me very happy. I know that some people think that the Lakers will be title contenders, even winning it all this season. But we all know that is not going to happen. There is a better chance of Street Clothes playing 82 games for the Lakers this season than the Lakers getting to the Finals & winning it. 

So, here's to another NBA season & hopefully, those Warriors will not be holding that trophy again this season. That ring & banner ceremony tonight is going to be downright stomach-turning. Just thinking about it is making me ill.

BTW, this season will be 50 years since the Knicks last won a title (1973). They might as well start going 1-2-3 Cancun right now since their season is going to be a complete bust. I just hope that guy that people are recently hyping about (Victor Wembanyama) doesn't end up with them in the next NBA Draft. 

• Useful 1

It should be Milwaukee if not Golden State, but it's too soon to tell.  I probably don't put too much stock in crowning someone given how anything can happen, from injuries, trades, or something outta nowhere

• Like 1

Who in the world thinks the Lakers are title contenders this season? I’m expecting another dumpster fire since they did Jack shit during the off-season and Westbrick is still around. Then we have AD likely getting injured again early in the season and an aging Lebron. Another season to eye-roll about, but at least you Laker haters can enjoy. 

• Like 1

Not me.  I definitely do not think the Lakers are title contenders right now.  However, I'm a little optimistic that it will not be a dumpster fire.  If key people can stay healthy and efforts are doubled, it can be a good year.  Just too much competition in both conferences within the league

• Like 2

My goodness the Lakers are worse than I thought they would be. No ball movement and keep bricking threes and the coaches just stare and let them keep doing this nonsense. This is going to be a 30+ point blowout. 

• Like 3

Last night, Zion Williamson proved once again that he is way better & more likable than that loser Ben Simmons. Despite Zion's past injuries, he showed his potential by scoring 25 points & helping the Pelicans beating up on Ben Simmons & the Brooklyn Nets 130-108. Hopefully, he can stay healthy & in shape this season & beyond. I haven't forgotten that Zion made more 3 pointers in his first ever NBA game than Ben Simmons had in his entire career. 

As for Ben Simmons, his 4 points, fouling out, his lack of effort & heart is somehow not surprising. His usual suckiness is going to prevent Brooklyn from coming out in the Eastern Conference.

• Like 1

This NBA season hasn't gone through a week yet & the Lakers are 0-2 and people are already panicking about them like their season is going down the toilet. Russell Westbrook only scored 2 points last night (he went 0-11). Pat Bev only got 5 points. Street Clothes got injured again (back), but he is OK now & will be playing in their next game against the crummy Trail Blazers. LeBron is trying like hell as usual, but the Lakers are absolutely terrible. The very incompetent Rob Pelinka, Jeannie, & Magic were probably sick to their stomachs right now & I'm enjoying their misery over the Lakers suckiness. Now, its going to be even more impossible for these losers to get rid of that $47 Million Dollar man.

• Like 3

Man, the Lakers had a great chance to win last night against the crummy Trail Blazers. They were up by 8 points halfway through the 4th Quarter. Then Darvin Ham put that 47 Million Dollar Man in the game & he helped the Lakers throw that game away. They lost to the crummy Trail Blazers 106-104 & they're now 0-3. On Wednesday Night, there is a very good chance that they can go 0-4 when they play against the Nuggets on ESPN. It just keeps getting better & better for the Lakers. Awwww.....

• LOL 3
On 10/24/2022 at 12:12 PM, Salacious Kitty said:

Denver will kill them. They dismantled the Dubs a few days ago. 

And I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that the Nuggets were beaten soundly by Portland last night. Its way too early in the season to know what will happen in any given game as many teams (most especially the Dubs) are tinkering with line ups and such. As someone pointed out elsewheres, Denver always plays the Warriors like it is Game 6 in the NBA Finals...

Looking forward to my Dubs vs. whatever is going on with the Phoenix Suns tonight! Tee hee!

• Like 1