Type keyword(s) to search

One is the Loneliest Number: Unpopular GG Opinions

• Start Topic

I think it's ambiguous- whether it looked like Dean was going to insist to Lindsay that he can associate with who he wants and win that cause or whether he was going to lie to Lindsay.

It was a little ambiguous, probably on purpose since Dean didn't seem to be too honest with either Lindsay or Rory unless he had no choice.  But Dean admitted at the time that Lindsay didn't know they talked until she overheard Rory at Doose's, and I doubt he would have decided to be upfront about it at that point.  Lying and cheating tend to go hand in hand.

Edited by shron17
  • Love 4

I don't think Rory is responsible for Dean's actions, but she is responsible for her own action of sleeping with a married man. I would argue that she pursued him as well, though I see that that is debatable on here.  

I don't think Rory is responsible for Dean's actions, but she is responsible for her own action of sleeping with a married man. I would argue that she pursued him as well, though I see that that is debatable on here.

I agree. And I do think she kind of pursued him, in a way, even if she might not have realized what she was doing. She was calling him a lot for someone who was just her friend and was also married. She called him, of all people, to come bail her out when the annoying frat boy pub crawl failed. I think Rory definitely wanted to rekindle something with Dean, just as much as he wanted to with her. 

• Love 4

She also left him that silly, flirty message from spring break.  Yes, it was Madeleine and Louise that started it, but her message was very much over the top.  

She also went out of her way to let him know that she sent Jess away after the Yale incident.  

I think she very much pursued him, or at the very least wanted the validation that he wanted her.

I think that after years of watching her mother be the one that guys could never get over, it gave Rory a subconscious little thrill to be "that girl" for once -- not only for Dean, but for Jess too.  She was probably focused on the "romantic" aspect of being the girl the guy was willing to forget all other girls for, she just didn't think about the reality of damaged lives and damaged reputations.

• Love 2
She was probably focused on the "romantic" aspect of being the girl the guy was willing to forget all other girls for, she just didn't think about the reality of damaged lives and damaged reputations.

I agree.  Her response after Lorelai caught her about him being "my Dean" and about how Lindsay wasn't good for him, and Dean was in love with her, were totally the delusional comments of someone caught up in something. 

• Love 1

I think that after years of watching her mother be the one that guys could never get over,

Beside Christopher, what guys would those be? There was no evidence until the Dragonfly opening that Jason was moping over her. Luke and her mother were not yet involved so the existence of the horoscope - and the years of pining - were not yet known. To say nothing of the fact, that he had recently been married which would suggest  at least for awhile his romantic interest  had been elsewhere. Alex seemed to have simply vanished with no lingering hard feelings that I recall. Other than that very brief spark between them  in Season 3,  Max also seemed to have recovered from Lorelai. Of course,  there was Kirk...

Max said himself in Keg! Max! that he wasn't over her.

We don't have any other examples of men that Lorelai had specifically dated not getting over her, no, but there was always a definite impression that guys just acted a certain away around Lorelai, and a guy not being able to move on would fall under that umbrella.

There was this conversation before movie night with Dean in KaT -

RORY: How do you do it?

LORELAI: What?

RORY: This whole guy thing. I mean I've watched you when you talk to a man. You have a comeback for everything, you make him laugh, you smile right --

LORELAI: I smile right?

RORY: And then you do the little hair flip.

LORELAI: Oh, twirl. It's a hair twirl.

RORY: And then you walk away and he just stands there, amazed, like he can't believe what just happened.

Plus the guy from the Pilot was hitting on Lorelai, the Chilton dad in TLFDAC was hitting on Lorelai, Dean's friend Todd said Lorelai was hot, Lorelai flirted with guys at work, etc etc.  I definitely got the impression that this was something Rory was used to having happen.

• Love 2

I think, like Sookie, Rory could probably suspect Luke had been pining for Lorelai (even Jess picked up on it).

But even if she didn't, and Chris was the only "guy who could never get over Lorelai", that could be enough for Rory to delude herself that she was that girl for Dean.

"We were each other's first real loves" (just like my mom and dad).

"In spite of everything we keep ending up in each other's lives" (just like my mom and dad).

"No matter who we're with, we can't really let go of each other" (just like my mom and dad).

Too bad she never got to "We really just use each other to escape from realities of life" (just like my mom and dad).

• Love 4

I guess I make a  distinction between those fellows  bowled over by Lorelai in casual encounters - with her looks, vivacity and flirtatious manner, not  all that surprising - and  the men who had had a romantic relationship with her and were not  able to move on.

As to Max, whatever feelings he may have still had for her, couldn't have been that strong. Or worthy of moping over. We never saw or heard from him again after Keg!Max! :)

I think the dilemma with Max was that while he still had feelings for Lorelai, he could never fully forgive her for bailing on the wedding (with good reason).  It was more infactuation and needing closure on their whole situation.  It makes sense that we never see him again after Keg! Max! because they mutually agree that even trying to be friends is not going to be possible and Rory's time at Chilton was almost at an end so there was no point in continuing their acquaintance. 

• Love 2

I think Luke was like RIDICULOUSLY attracted to confidence in women. Like, I think confidence is attractive too and it's great and enlightened for a man to find confidence so sexy in women but I think Luke took it a bridge too far and practically made a fetish thing out of it. At least, that's how I explain Nicole/Anna co-existing with Lorelai/Rachel on Luke's List. IMO, for an iconoclastic, bellicose INDIVIDUAL, Luke somewhat craved a firm hand. But from a pretty lady who he was attracted to, NOT from Taylor or something.

....It's kind of adorable.

Still though, Anna struck me as someone didactic and bossy on a day-to-day basis but as I said earlier, Luke goes for that. Anna's bossiness is more scoldy than Lorelai's playful bossiness- but I think Luke in fetish mode viewed it all as pretty playful deep down. The problem with Anna is when the big issues come up- it's not so cute when the bossiness traverses dressing your man to deciding that your man shouldn't know about his child because he complains about strangers' loud children in a restaurant or movie theater.

This post took my mind to Unexpected Visuals territory and now, I will never look at Luke and his girls the same way again.

Yeeesh....it even makes sense in relation to Liz. She's a dimwitted and lazy sister, so naturally he'll be attracted to go-getters who are firm and intellectual.

...maybe we should be grateful that Luke and Paris didn't end up spending more time together....

Question: if Dean and Lindsay had just been living together, would Rory sleeping with him twice in 24 hours and then breaking it off still be considered an "affair" of such terrible proportions?

I'm not defending what she chose to do in the series, mind you, but it did all come across more to me like the kind of thing that happens when teens date. If Dean had only been dating Lindsay, he still would have been wanting Rory and looking for an opening to nail her (pun intended).

Him being with Lindsay was all about making himself unavailable, and therefore more alluring, to Rory...who had stripped him of his sex appeal by virtue of openly panting over Jess. Creepy as Jared's performance (and hair) was, you could see at the end of season four him 'reclaiming' Rory, so to speak, having proven himself desirable and verile through his relationship with Lindsay.

He may also have been a virgin prior to marriage, so with that restraint now gone, he could be more openly assertive.

As much as the show tried to dress Dean up as Mr. Goodie Goodie who didn't need sex, I think they got much more honest about it near the end of his tenure on the show. Too bad it was framed in a sex=shame context, though.

I find it really depressing that such a female-aimed series made all of Rory's sexual encounters feel so wrong. From a writing and tone standpoint, she didn't have a single partner we could feel good about, or she could feel good about. Lame.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Love 2

I find it really depressing that such a female-aimed series made all of Rory's sexual encounters feel so wrong. From a writing and tone standpoint, she didn't have a single partner we could feel good about, or she could feel good about. Lame.

Seem to be a running theme with Rory and her friends. Lane waited and then it was a disaster that resulted in being pregnant with twins. Paris feels it cost her Harvard. Her one roommate during year 1 had her boyfriend over half the time but never could get "alone time". Then you add in Professor Fletcher and Paris, which to this day, I still go: "ewww!" As a theme in the early 2000s: "Don't have sex kids, its bad!" 

• Love 1

I disagree.  We only saw her with two sexual partners, and I don't think she felt bad about Logan anymore than anyone would think about an old boyfriend. Their relationship had its ups and downs, but he wasn't abusive or anything else that would taint the memories. I thought he was actually a pretty good boyfriend for Rory. But they ended in different places with different goals at the end of the series. I don't think that's enough to make it so we/she couldn't feel good about her choice.

I disagree.  We only saw her with two sexual partners, and I don't think she felt bad about Logan anymore than anyone would think about an old boyfriend. Their relationship had its ups and downs, but he wasn't abusive or anything else that would taint the memories. I thought he was actually a pretty good boyfriend for Rory. But they ended in different places with different goals at the end of the series. I don't think that's enough to make it so we/she couldn't feel good about her choice.

I have to agree.  She was in a long term relationship with Logan.  As far as I can see, Rory has nothing to regret in terms of her sexual decisions with Logan.  

• Love 1

Yeah, I thought Rory was refreshingly mature and relatable during that early part of the Logan relationship. She attempted to have a casual sexual relationship with him, realized that it wasn't for her, and told him that honestly. She didn't really play games or act hurt but say nothing (Ahem, S6 Lorelai...).

• Love 2

I think the only meaningful thing about that scene is the writers really loved that sweater joke, so they crafted the scene to be able to use it as a callback

Possibly. Although if that was the case, the writers could also have had Rory turn to Logan in mock horror and say, "I'm so sorry. I forgot to get you a sweater!".

Respectfully, I would put letting Logan believe he was her first sexual partner as game playing.

I don't know.  That seems like a pretty big reach.  My experience with game players is that they want to somehow benefit themselves in the relationship with the game playing.  I don't remember Logan really caring about any of this all that much one way or the other, besides wanting to know why Emily was suddenly mad at him.  And it wasn't like Logan had ever told Rory that whether she was a virgin was important to him.  However, I'm interested to hear more about this.   Why do you believe it was game playing?  As far as I could see, nothing really came from the situation, and I don't remember much, if any, discussion of it after the episode.

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 1

Yup. And as I said before, I don't think Rory looks so great to be a virgin embarking on her first sexual relationship as one of the Logan's many girls with no expectations of commitment. She appears much better to Logan (more restrained, more self-respecting, and more worldly at the same time) if she's already tried committed sexual relationships and she's not giving Logan access to her bed that she didn't give to at least one steady boyfriend who was willing to commit to her*. I don't see the motive for Rory to lie, so I'm really not inclined to infer it just because Rory used a confusing short-hand to communicate to Logan quickly in the middle of a dinner party the truly disappointing and shocking news, that her grandparents know that they're having sex and Rory's been moved back to the main house which will inhibit their sex lives a great deal. 

*Although sure, within that vein, Rory left out that Dean was married before and she broke up that marriage. But then, that's also none of Logan's business. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 2
I don't see the motive for Rory to lie, so I'm really not inclined to infer it just because Rory used a confusing short-hand to communicate to Logan quickly in the middle of a dinner party the truly disappointing and shocking news, that her grandparents know that they're having sex and Rory's been moved back to the main house which will inhibit their sex lives a great deal.

I have to agree.  I don't see what the point of any alleged "game playing" would have been.     

• Love 1

Anyone want to confess unpopular opinions about the upcoming revival in a place where you won't be judged or mocked?! If so, please join in ;) 

1) I wish so much I were as excited as most are about the revival, but I actually almost wish it weren't happening. I would rather use our imaginations, fanfics etc to envision what's happened with these characters than to actually revisit it all these years later in a way that I can't help but feel has high potential to feel kind of forced and awkward. 

2) I want so much for the focus to be on Rory (finally!) realizing that journalism isn't the right field for her and redefining her dreams as she discovers what she wants to do with her life. Of course, I'm fully expecting that she'll be depicted as the happiest and most successful journalist on the planet and that her scenes will revolve almost exclusively around her love life, but a girl can dream ;) 

3) I would love to see Luke and Lorelai as close friends who have realized they're not just happy or compatible as a romantic pairing, with both of them either contentedly single or having found someone they have more commonality and connection with. I know that will never, ever happen, though, so instead I'll just be alone in my corner hoping that there's not TOO much focus on their exhausting 'bickering' as they plan a wedding that I have little interest in seeing.  

4) I'm more interested in seeing how they deal with Richard and how his absence affects Emily than pretty much any other potential storyline they could possibly give us 

5) The only non-Gilmore character I have any real need to see is Paris. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Lane, Sookie, and other popular characters, but for some reason I don't have an especially strong need to see any of them. 

• Love 4

I second wanting to see life after Richard for Emily more than anything else.

I don't see journalism being wrong for Rory per se, even being a foreign correspondent. I could see her in Germany covering the migrant crisis. She likes doing hard research and writing editorials so that actually suits her well. I don't see her as a war journalist so no Syria or Eastern Ukraine for her. There's different kinds of journalism, some obviously suited her and some didn't. I just don't see ASP to be able to handle hard sensitive news like that well. I think it's hilarious that the show ended with her following the Obama campaign and it could possibly start with her on the road with the Clinton one. Especially since Hilary running for president was mentioned so much on the show.

I actually am looking forward to Lane, but that's because I listen to Keiko's Drunk Monk Podcast and she's adorable. And also, they kept Lane around for far too long and gave her a kind of sad ending. I want that fixed.

• Love 2

I'm also pretty 'meh' on the whole GG revival idea.  (X-Files, on the other hand....  *grin*)

I honestly can't think of anything I really want to see.  Everyone grieving Richard is just going to make me sad.  I was one of the few JJ's who was happy with the ambiguity of where they left L/L.  I COULD NOT CARE LESS to see Rory fawning over either Obama or Hillary, depending on what they do with that storyline.  I don't "need" to see where Paris is at right now.  Same with the other secondaries.

So....meh.

• Love 2

I think I'm more excited in the possibility (probable in my possibly UO) that it will be kind of a train wreck.

But I will watch. And it won't be a hate watch. More like a mock-watch. You know whatever it is we will have fun talking about it here!  

I just hope they don't show L/L married only to break them up. I would be so zzzzz on that topic.

• Love 2

I'm sure this would never happen but if they are gonna show Lane (has Keiko been mentioned?) I really want Zach and Lane to still be together and Lane to have a career while Zach is a stay at home dad. I couldn't stand that they gave up on her dreams so easily when Queen Rory was off to cover the Obama campaign.

• Love 1

The reviews for the first X-Files episode of the revival have not been great. Since I really thought highly of that crew, my expectations for Gilmore Girls are quite low. Especially since ASP reminds me of George Lucas in some ways in terms of how she does things. I'm kind of expecting Gilmore Girls' version of Jar Jar for the revival. Actually, looking back at the show itself, a lot of people were becoming GG's Jar Jar. Also,  Lucas had over the top CGI, ASP had over the top quirkiness.Both were allowed back into the worlds that made them famous because of nostalgia. Guys...I think I'm realizing something. 

So bringing it back on topic- I don't want the revival to happen because I have no faith at all in ASP. Especially since it looks like she'll probably have no one around her to say "no" (just like George Lucas for the prequels).

Edited by solotrek
  • Love 3
ASP had over the top quirkiness.Both were allowed back into the worlds that made them famous because of nostalgia. Guys...I think I'm realizing something.

So bringing it back on topic- I don't want the revival to happen because I have no faith at all in ASP. Especially since it looks like she'll probably have no one around her to say "no".

Ha---AS-P totally would have a show full of human JarJars if left unchecked and, as you noted, she came dangerously close to doing just that by the end of her reign! I totally agree with you and am reminded of a related UO, which is that it always surprises me when people accuse DR of ruining the show in S7 and retrospectively view AS-P as a nearly flawless showrunner and writer by contrast. AS-P's writing and direction had some minor to major flaws all along, IMO, even when the show was at its best. And I think she was far more responsible for sending the show spiraling down to its doom in S5/S6 than DR was for the way he handled S7. As I've confessed here, I actually like S7 more than S5 and S6. (At least I'm in the right thread to mention that!) While DR certainly had his share of issues (don't even get me started on the Marty/Lucy thing, the nonsense with Jackson's vasectomy, giving Lane and Liz pregnancies because he had no idea what else to do with them, etc.) and maybe wasn't always as sharp and clever, I think he did quite a decent job when you consider the relative mess he inherited from ASP by the end of S6. And for me he restored a lot of the warmth, sweetness and likability that had been conspicuously waning throughout S5 and S6. He even made many of the minor characters who had become impossibly shrill, over the top and obnoxious more likable again, and while S7 Rory still felt different from Early Seasons Rory, for me she was a major improvement over the Rory of S5 and S6. Plus, DR's final season made me tolerate and sometimes even like both Zach and Logan, which is no easy feat :)  

• Love 3

So bringing it back on topic- I don't want the revival to happen because I have no faith at all in ASP. 

I think you hit the nail on the head.  I wish I could trust her not to use this time to give one more EFF YOU to the ones who tossed her from her own show, but...well.....

• Love 2

I think you hit the nail on the head.  I wish I could trust her not to use this time to give one more EFF YOU to the ones who tossed her from her own show, but...well.....

Yes. I wasn't particularly enchanted with Season 7 but it was certainly an improvement over  Season 6 - and that was all on her.

• Love 2

Ha---AS-P totally would have a show full of human JarJars if left unchecked and, as you noted, she came dangerously close to doing just that by the end of her reign! I totally agree with you and am reminded of a related UO, which is that it always surprises me when people accuse DR of ruining the show in S7 and retrospectively view AS-P as a nearly flawless showrunner and writer by contrast. AS-P's writing and direction had some minor to major flaws all along, IMO, even when the show was at its best. And I think she was far more responsible for sending the show spiraling down to its doom in S5/S6 than DR was for the way he handled S7. As I've confessed here, I actually like S7 more than S5 and S6. (At least I'm in the right thread to mention that!) While DR certainly had his share of issues (don't even get me started on the Marty/Lucy thing, the nonsense with Jackson's vasectomy, giving Lane and Liz pregnancies because he had no idea what else to do with them, etc.) and maybe wasn't always as sharp and clever, I think he did quite a decent job when you consider the relative mess he inherited from ASP by the end of S6. And for me he restored a lot of the warmth, sweetness and likability that had been conspicuously waning throughout S5 and S6. He even made many of the minor characters who had become impossibly shrill, over the top and obnoxious more likable again, and while S7 Rory still felt different from Early Seasons Rory, for me she was a major improvement over the Rory of S5 and S6. Plus, DR's final season made me tolerate and sometimes even like both Zach and Logan, which is no easy feat :)

Wow.  I agree with pretty much all of this.  As someone who recently completed a rewatch, I agree that the decisions made in S7 weren't as abominable as many thought.  Sure there are some full on clunkers in there (Go Bulldogs! French Twist was YAWWWWWNNNN!) but I would agree that DR reigned in the characters that ASP had turned into caricatures.  Emily no longer acted like a mustache twirling villain, Logan growing up.  I also agree about Rory, I grew to like her again as she got back in the fight for her career.  As exasperating as Paris could be at times, I liked the Operation Finish Line subplot as it displayed that Paris and Rory could bring out the best in one another.  I like S7 Rory way more than S5/early S6 Rory.

As far as Rory's career goes, she would probably be too young but I could imagine her running either a newspaper or internet news site.  She was competent in her reign at the Yale paper as people said upthread she wasn't always the most aggressive journalist but she'd make an excellent editor in chief.

• Love 4

Rory would be waaaay too young to be editor in chief of a newspaper. Maybe a features editor or something. Or she could be a writer at a blog like Gawker.

I think Rory would be best at writing human interest stories. Long feature pieces for magazines or something like that. 

3) I would love to see Luke and Lorelai as close friends who have realized they're not just happy or compatible as a romantic pairing, with both of them either contentedly single or having found someone they have more commonality and connection with. I know that will never, ever happen, though, so instead I'll just be alone in my corner hoping that there's not TOO much focus on their exhausting 'bickering' as they plan a wedding that I have little interest in seeing.

No wedding or wedding planning please. It's been eight years for the love of God. If they haven't gotten it together and gotten married by now, just no. 

• Love 3

I too am not keen on the revival. When I heard about it, my first thought was "Leave well enough alone!". Don't get me wrong, I'll still watch it. But I don't think it was a good idea. I've put those characters to rest. I re-watch the series over and over again and I love reliving those moments with them. But that's just it. I don't think they need to expand any further. I like hating on Christopher in season 7 being married to Lorelai but knowing it doesn't last. I like going from liking Rory to despising her to tolerating her again as things progress. I like watching the series once and thinking one thing and then reading the commentary on this forum and re-watching and having a completely different opinion. Now I feel like that's going to be taken from me because they're adding more to the story. But hey, money talks.

I also don't think it will feel the same. The actors themselves have changed. I can't see Paris going back to Heartford after being on How To Get Away With Murder. Or Melissa McCarthy going back to being the best friend after having been the star.

Maybe I'm wrong. We will see...

• Love 1

So to add to my post above, I just realised why I'm not keen on the revival. I'm actually quite a fan of the series finale. Which I believe is an unpopular opinion. I really really liked Richard in the last couple episodes. His refusal to indulge Emily with her whole "why didn't Rory say yes to Logan's proposal" and all her fussing at the graduation... he short of told her to shut up. And it was nice to see him, for one last time, be proud of not only his granddaughter, but also his daughter. I know some people may not have thought much of Richard throughout the series as he came off as unaffectionate, but I think he showed it the only way knew how to and I respected that. I also like that Rory said no to Logan and wandered into the unknown with a brave face. While I don't think she would've made a very good journalist, I like that we were left with the thought that may she did, maybe she didn't. Speaking of unknown, I also took the Luke and Lorelai ending as an unknown. Yeah they kissed. But that doesn't mean that they got married and had children. Or that they even got back together. And finally, as tumultuous as Lorelai and Emily's relationship was throughout the series, I really like that they gave us some sort of hope with that "Let's talk about it at friday night dinner". I really do think it ended well. 

• Love 4

Does anyone else find this this the most mood dependent show ever?! When I'm in a certain mood, nothing else can charm and delight me like GG. I'll rewind just to make sure I've all but memorized the brilliant dialogue, I feel suddenly inspired to read and write fanfic about the characters, and I want to compose multi-paragraph essays here about the show's unique gift for wringing so much poignancy and humor from such seemingly commonplace events. But then I'll go through certain phases (like the surprisingly prolonged one I'm in now!) where I kind of can't stand GG---it all just feels so obnoxiously 'quirky' in this really forced and irksome way, the characters all seem moderately to majorly narcissistic and unlikable, nearly every relationship starts to feel trapped in a "one step forward, five steps back!" dance from hell, and the dialogue that usually delights me feels like maddening, nonsensical rambling that does a poor job of covering up the show's myriad issues with plotting, characterization, etc. Obviously with any show you'll be more into it at certain times than others, but I've never experienced the extremes that I do with GG, going from ardent fangirl to someone who starts to wonder why/whether I like the show at all! Maybe I just overdosed on the show earlier on in my "career" as a GG fan to the point where my brain has a bizarre reaction to it now. I'm hoping someone here can relate and make me feel a little less crazy :)

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 4

So to add to my post above, I just realised why I'm not keen on the revival. I'm actually quite a fan of the series finale. Which I believe is an unpopular opinion.

I've said this before, but I was completely surprised when I read interviews that the actors on the show didn't know if the show was coming back. When I first saw the S7 finale on Netflix, I thought it was the perfect way to wrap up a series. Life is up in the air for people but everyone (important) is kind of where they wanted to be in life from the beginning of the show. Lorelai owns her own inn, Rory is on the road as a journalist after getting an Ivy degree, Emily is getting a no strings attached FND from Lorelai, Luke and Lorelai are coupling again maybe.

• Love 3

I liked the last half-ish of the season finale. I don't remember why I didn't really like the rest. Maybe because of my disdain for the whole season. But I loved Emily and Richard's scenes with Lorelai at the party and Rory's "You already gave me everything I need" makes me tear up each time.  And I love the closing scene at Luke's.  Ending with the two of them at Luke's is really the perfect ending to me.

I don't want the revival to happen because I have no faith at all in ASP. Especially since it looks like she'll probably have no one around her to say "no" (just like George Lucas for the prequels).

My unpopular opinion is that I do have faith in ASP to create a good sequel for the show.  She created the show and all the characters (albeit with support from others) and invested a great deal and time and energy in the show.  My guess is despite whatever circumstances led to her leaving in season 6, she didn't want to leave her creation on that note.  I mean, who would?  Maybe she actually welcomes the revival as a chance to try to make it all right--to the fans, the characters, and to herself.  Sure, I know it will be different.  But I'm more than willing to put up some awkwardness and change to see more of what ASP wanted for the series.

I second wanting to see life after Richard for Emily more than anything else.

I want to see this too, and think it has a lot of potential for creating conflict vs. need between Emily and Lorelai as well as Luke (assuming they're married now).

My second UO is that I'd actually like to see Christopher at some point, because one thing I really needed more closure about was his past/present with Lorelai and Rory.  I think it would great to see him own his shortcomings through most of Rory's childhood beyond whining about how much he missed, and/or actually offer some kind of support beyond telling Lorelai "hey I inherited a pile of money, is there anything Rory wants."

Edited by shron17
  • Love 3

I've said this before, but I was completely surprised when I read interviews that the actors on the show didn't know if the show was coming back. When I first saw the S7 finale on Netflix, I thought it was the perfect way to wrap up a series

But from what we were given to understand, some of the actors - notably Ms Graham - probably didn't even watch the finale. So would have been expecting information from other sources as to whether the gig was expected to continue.

I've realized that I really love The Long Morrow. (And other unpopular S7 episodes, but this one is on my mind today!) I think SP's acting is at its best here, and I usually hold the UO of thinking his acting is mediocre at best. The Lorelai/Luke scenes were really well done IMO, Rory somehow feels more like Earlier Seasons Rory here and I love her dynamic with Lorelai, we get a few classic Paris scenes, and while I know Logan and his relationship with Rory are very polarizing, I can't help but love the rocket storyline. I actually kind of love S7 more each time I watch it. It has some REALLY low lows, but overall I just really enjoy it. 

Edited by amensisterfriend
But from what we were given to understand, some of the actors - notably Ms Graham - probably didn't even watch the finale.

Why would they need to have watched the finale?  Presumably they read the script, since they acted in the episode, and noticed that it seemed to wrap up some long running storylines.  I do understand that there was uncertainty as to whether the show was coming back for a Season 8, but I thought that was why the finale had been written in the manner it was, so it could give closure, but leave open the possibility they could come back for another season.      

• Love 1

That  assumes that the shooting script and the final product were completely in sync and that there were no deleted scenes or other changes.

I've realized that I really love The Long Morrow. (And other unpopular S7 episodes, but this one is on my mind today!) I think SP's acting is at its best here, and I usually hold the UO of thinking his acting is mediocre at best. The Lorelai/Luke scenes were really well done IMO

asf, now I am the first to admit I am petty and small-minded. And this is a comment on the writers, not the actors or SP in particular. But I was genuinely taken out of the moment in that scene with Luke and Lorelai at her house with the jam-packed truck the second day after the ultimatum, where Luke seems to have forgotten he was previously married aboard a ship - just  three years earlier.

But from what we were given to understand, some of the actors - notably Ms Graham - probably didn't even watch the finale. So would have been expecting information from other sources as to whether the gig was expected to continue.

But Lauren Graham was a producer of the show for season 7. So regardless of what happens, LG of all people has say in a lot more of the final decisions and would be kept up on changes.

Luke seems to have forgotten he was previously married aboard a ship - just  three years earlier.

Him saying that was the sound of the writers hand waving that particular storyline of the show away. *foosh* never happened *foosh* one true love *foosh*

I think I have an UO that before they completely destroyed her character, I liked Sherry. She made a concerted effort to be part of Rory's life because of Christopher. And I never sensed her being nice to Lorelai was at all backhanded or boastful, just the awkward type of chatter people in that kind of position would try to have. In fact, I had zero sympathy during Lorelai's meltdown in Sherry's bathroom. And really, for a show that wanted the endgame to be Luke and Lorelai, I don't know why I should have cared about this roadblock for Lorelai and Christopher.

• Love 4
That  assumes that the shooting script and the final product were completely in sync and that there were no deleted scenes or other changes.

As far as I know, there's never been any indication that there were dramatic differences between what was shot for the final episode, and what aired.  If you know of something that would suggest otherwise, please feel free to share it with us.  If I'm wrong, and there were dramatic differences, I am happy to admit that.   

I think I have an UO that before they completely destroyed her character, I liked Sherry. She made a concerted effort to be part of Rory's life because of Christopher. And I never sensed her being nice to Lorelai was at all backhanded or boastful, just the awkward type of chatter people in that kind of position would try to have.

I would agree.  I thought she was a little overly assertive with Lorelai when they were at Lorelai's house, but her general intentions for her relationship with Rory seemed genuine. 

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 1

I think I have an UO that before they completely destroyed her character, I liked Sherry. She made a concerted effort to be part of Rory's life because of Christopher. And I never sensed her being nice to Lorelai was at all backhanded or boastful, just the awkward type of chatter people in that kind of position would try to have. In fact, I had zero sympathy during Lorelai's meltdown in Sherry's bathroom. And really, for a show that wanted the endgame to be Luke and Lorelai, I don't know why I should have cared about this roadblock for Lorelai and Christopher.

I agree with this and that is why, as I believe I stated earlier in this thread, I didn't buy the whole "Sherry has run off to Paris and abandoned us" arc. It didn't fit with the character that we were introduced to. They just used her to try to make us feel sorry for Chris. Which I didn't buy...

• Love 3

Add me to the list of those liking Sherry. I thought she was quite gracious - if a bit awkward -  in trying to connect with Rory (as well as with Lorelai). And she certainly wasn't the first woman to panic at impending childbirth. Until her departure for Paris, her only real flaw that I could see was  falling for Christopher's palaver.

But Lauren Graham was a producer of the show for season 7. So regardless of what happens, LG of all people has say in a lot more of the final decisions and would be kept up on changes

Yet according to Ms Graham, she had no idea the show was going to be cancelled until after the fact - and the last episode filmed - when her agent contacted her.