Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E09: Samuel L. Jackson, Stephen Merchant, Amy Schumer, Muse

• Start Topic

The Bafta award-winning talk show, featuring the biggest celebrities and the brightest conversation on television.

On his sofa are the world's coolest movie star Samuel L. Jackson, hilarious actor and writer Stephen Merchant and top American comedian Amy Schumer. Plus music from Muse, who perform Mercy.

Because I love lowbrow humor, the opening bit with snakes tickled me silly.

I'm kinda 'shipping Amy and Stephen right now.

I thought I was the only one! They're both kinda adorkable. Plus, he's realllly tall! I didn't stop laughing until Muse!

The only issue is that Amy fulfilled the cliché of the American who talks too much. She just stepped on the others like crazy.

I mean, because it's her, most of it was still funny.. but even still...

To reassure myself I remind myself that Robin Williams did that too (you can look up some good moments he had on UK talk shows where they look both frustrated that he wouldn't shut up, but also couldn't help but laugh). 

Samuel L. Jackson is of course just as American as she is, but he's the other American cliché at the other extreme--the John Wayne (I know it seems weird to compare Sam to Wayne... but think about it beyond anything physical or racial).

I've never watched Amy Schumer's show, but I thought she was pretty funny. However, why was she so shiny?

It's this asshole Hollywood thing for many of the female celeb to gloss up their legs like that.  I can't stand it--it never looks all that good.  I never really figured Amy Schumer as the type before this though.  It's some combo of waxing, using a bronzer, then oiling them up.

The only issue is that Amy fulfilled the cliché of the American who talks too much. She just stepped on the others like crazy.

I thought Samuel L Jackson was more guilty of that. Plus, whenever the camera was doing a wide shot of the couch, and Amy or Stephen were being funny, Samuel was sitting there just being stone-faced and cool. I never like it when a celebrity on a talk show or award show is like too-cool-for-school and won't smile or laugh. 

Anyway, I liked Amy overall. She and Stephen had a good rapport.

As for her shiny legs, ugh. The first time I remember seeing that was on Gywneth Paltrow when she was on Conan, I believe. It looked like she had bacon grease on her shins. Same with Amy.

What's especially funny about Amy having shiny legs is that she did a hilarious spoof of it on her show. She played a silly actress who's wearing a dress that's way too short (and she pretends not to realize it until she tries to sit down), and her legs start out with nothing on them and end up looking like she was the latest victim of Goldfinger.

Stephen Merchant is 6'7". 

I saw the Muse bassist singing, but I didn't always hear him, especially when it wasn't the chorus.

The Red Chair story was kind of horrifying.

(edited)

I'm kinda 'shipping Amy and Stephen right now.

I really hope they hooked up afterward.

I watched the episode again. Graham did not do the First Name Last Name thing to the extent he has done previously.

Edited by SmithW6079

I do love it when Jackson talks about being mistaken for Laurence Fishburn and now Morgan Freeman.

It could be worse. He could be mistaken for Wesley Snipes.
  • Love 1

As for her shiny legs, ugh. The first time I remember seeing that was on Gywneth Paltrow when she was on Conan, I believe. It looked like she had bacon grease on her shins. Same with Amy.

This just aired here in Canada and I couldn't believe how shiny Amy's legs were.  It was very distracting.  I don't think I've ever noticed this before.  Really happy to see I'm not the only one who noticed or commented.