Type keyword(s) to search

You Cannot Tell Me That's Jackie's Hair!

Regarding Game of Thrones there have been changes in the map from season to season. Earlier the toy Winterfell had the Direwolf sigil on it, and in the current season it shows the Flayed Man.

Oh and you forgot to mention Dexter and his stupid orange juice.

I was with you until Game of Thrones. I love those maps, and we watch them every week! I adore that clicky-into-place statue thing. (I'm not good at GoT names and locations).

These days, Louis CK looks a lot different from himself in the opening credits. Add that to the list to update! And now that Penny's hair is short, update the group shot on Big Bang Theory.

Without looking back, I feel like the Buffy credits changed an appropriate amount each season, but did they always end with that first season shot of her with Mr. Pointy?

• Love 1

Without looking back, I feel like the Buffy credits changed an appropriate amount each season, but did they always end with that first season shot of her with Mr. Pointy?

No, it ended on a different "Power Buffy" shot each season. For example, I know Season 3 and 4 ended with the Power Buffy stance from "Anne.")

• Love 1

One of the best examples of this is "Shameless." The young actors have all grown so much that the opening credits sequence is a major trip down memory lane. And as much as I love the credits, the show AND the actors have changed so much that it doesn't really feel all that applicable anymore.

Thank you for this post, because I was previously feeling like a crackpot myself for getting so worked up over the "Nurse Jackie" credits. What bothers me at least as much as her hair is the entire sequence with her wedding ring, which hasn't been relevant for ages. It just feels so lazy and stale!

• Love 2

I agree that Buffy is a great example of updating the credits while retaining the feel of the original credits (Friends was another good example), and Shameless not updating their credits (well, only enough to swap out Karen for Mickey) only serves to remind us how much time has passed since S1 since it's obvious that the kids are so much older now.

• Love 1
(edited)

Others (come to mind because they're probably my top 3):

The Sopranos (1999-2007)

Mad Men (2007-2015)

Breaking Bad (2008-2013)

Of course these shows had hiatuses (hiati?) of up to 16 months, 17 months, and 12 months respectively, so maybe the TPTB wanted to keep the opening credits consistent because of the long intervals between seasons. And maybe MM and BB get passes because their openings became fairly iconic and they didn't show any characters. However, Tony was shown throughout the opening montage of the Sopranos, and he literally changed from the first episode to the second (his Jersey accent thickened a lot). Fuggetabout his physical changes from one season to the next.

Weeds, OTOH, like The Simpsons, changed the opening with every episode - same song, different styles and singers. And IIRC they tied the Created By credit to that episode's main plot line.

To stay on topic, so much time has passed since Jackie's hair was that short that I actually find the opening credits distracting,

Edited by Lone Wolf

I realized Jackie's hair doesn't bother me, and I further realized I just got numb to it because the whole intro bugs the piss out of me.

Especially that grating Sly Stone knock off of a theme song. Those bells drive me batshit.

Speaking of the theme song, I remember that the pilot used the theme from Valley of the Dolls, which I thought was PERFECT. I remember feeling so disappointed the next week, when it was changed to what it is now. 

But back to opening credits...  I had absolutely no problem with Breaking Bad, Mad Men or Six Feet Under (which I thought was awesome) staying the same. They were iconic to me... plus, it doesn't really matter (to me, anyway) if none of the characters are shown. I also loved Justified's opening credits/music.  The opening credits to Game of Thrones is still a marvel to me. 

• Love 2

But back to opening credits...  I had absolutely no problem with Breaking Bad, Mad Men or Six Feet Under (which I thought was awesome) staying the same. They were iconic to me... plus, it doesn't really matter (to me, anyway) if none of the characters are shown. I also loved Justified's opening credits/music.  The opening credits to Game of Thrones is still a marvel to me. 

The opening credits for "The Sopranos" was always great as well. I also liked the opening credits for "The Wire", but those changed from season to season and had different versions of that Tom Waits song.

• Love 1

Let's not forget the wedding ring going onto her finger then her taking it off and putting it in her scrub pocket. This used to matter since her juggling two different lives was a big plot developer in the first few seasons. Now it's just dragging out an opening theme that does seem to already take forever!

I realized Jackie's hair doesn't bother me, and I further realized I just got numb to it because the whole intro bugs the piss out of me.

Especially that grating Sly Stone knock off of a theme song. Those bells drive me batshit.

Drove me nuts also, but not quite as much as the Big C’s annoying opening credits.

• Love 1