Type keyword(s) to search

One Day At A Time (1975) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I agree the three women had chemistry and their real life relationship also reflected their onscreen counterparts. 

Mackenzie wrote in her book that Bonnie tried to be a friend and mentor but she made it difficult. She also wrote that Bonnie often invited Valerie to dinner and vacations with her family. Mackenzie acknowledges she could have had that but kept pushing them away. Just like Julie,

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I agree the three women had chemistry and their real life relationship also reflected their onscreen counterparts. 

Mackenzie wrote in her book that Bonnie tried to be a friend and mentor but she made it difficult. She also wrote that Bonnie often invited Valerie to dinner and vacations with her family. Mackenzie acknowledges she could have had that but kept pushing them away. Just like Julie,

One can't help but wonder if Miss Phillip's issues with addiction would have been as severe had she spent more time with Miss Franklin instead of the folks she did spend time with who were, at best, counterproductive.  Thankfully, she seems to be using her experiences to try to help others with similar struggles nowadays (and, evidently, IS being a mentor ). 

• Love 1

Renembering the two part eppy Barbara's Friend that was on the other day.  Barbara kept trying to ditch THE most pathetic Melanie, who tried to kill herself due to Barbara setting her straight about their supposed friendship.

Barbara was whiny and annoying....grow a pair and just tell the freak you want nothing to do with her!  The actress who played Melanie did a great job, I would have cussed her out and told her to step the fuck off long ago.

I loved this show when I was a teen and just caught a couple of episodes last week--the multi-part episode where Julie wants to live with/marry the veterinarian.  I hadn't seen the show in decades, but I really enjoyed the stroll down memory lane.  I'm going to start trying to catch more episodes.

I never minded Julie's yelling, but as some have mentioned here, I didn't care for Bonnie Franklin's acting--that "choked up and about to cry" tremor in her voice annoyed me.  Thank goodness it didn't happen every episode.

• Love 2

I’m starting to get into this show.  The yelling still gets on my nerves, but at least Schneider doesn’t seem skeevy anymore (well I mean barging in with a passkey every 5 seconds skeevy although how does he get any work done, he’s always at the Romano/Cooper apartment LOL).  I always get a kick out of them taking the photo in the credits, it’s like a family portrait with the super.  I get he’s their friend by then, it just makes me giggle because I’m like did Schneider just assume he should be in the photo or did they ask him.  It reminds me a little of Michael Scott.

• Love 1

Julie just got married and I'd forgotten what a jerk Max was. He claims Julie is being fake with Fred (he really dodged a bullet), but her nice act was what he wanted as the marriage went on. Then he took over Ann's apartment and expected her to make food for his coworkers on strike.

But I still prefer Max over Katherine. At least a person can fight with Max on equal ground. Katherine is passive aggressive and manipulative. She never raise her voice so you're the one who looks insane by blowing your top at her.

I could see why Julie married Max though because in the beginning he didn't take any of her shit.  By the time she left him in Season 9, he had softened quite a bit.

Chile, don't get me started on Katherine.  I wish they would have shown Ed's mother just as much as they showed Katherine.

Edited by Yogisbooboo64
  • Love 1

Yeah I agree Max got better after the first few episodes. Unlike a lot of other characters on that show.

Funny how Julie was so shrill but it was too mellow without her. I actually look forward to her appearances to stir things up.

Edited by Snow Apple
On 8/5/2021 at 6:42 PM, Snow Apple said:

Julie just got married and I'd forgotten what a jerk Max was. He claims Julie is being fake with Fred (he really dodged a bullet), but her nice act was what he wanted as the marriage went on. Then he took over Ann's apartment and expected her to make food for his coworkers on strike.

I watched that one last week on Antenna TV and couldn’t get over how ridiculous it was. Right up to the end, Julie is trying to decide who to marry, even at the ceremony. I wanted someone to say to her, “You’re 19 years old! If you’re this unsure, don’t marry anyone.” And then Julie marries Max at the same ceremony intended for her and Fred? What about Max’s family and friends who weren’t at the ceremony? Were they just SOL? Was that the end of Max and Fred’s friendship? Only on TV.

The sad thing is, the show could have gotten a lot of mileage out of Julie picking Max over his best friend, a longer engagement, planning the wedding, the repercussions of Max losing his best friend over Julie. Instead, it was rush, rush, rush.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Was that the end of Max and Fred’s friendship? Only on TV.

There was an episode where someone (Mark?) ask what happened to the other guy and Max joke that Fred sends him an anniversary card every year to thank him. Something like that.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

There was an episode where someone (Mark?) ask what happened to the other guy and Max joke that Fred sends him an anniversary card every year to thank him. Something like that.

That's it (except it was Grandma, not Mark)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

I always question the legality of these “spur of the moment” weddings. There is no wedding license!!😆

I just watched a show where two people got impulsively married and it WASN'T legal, even though they thought it was. I think, in TV World, the law is flexible based on plot.

I remember watching this show in its original run.  It wasn't a great favorite of mine, but I found it somewhat entertaining.  Watching it now, I can say it is very much of its time and it has a nostalgia kick for me.  Other than Barbara, the characters can be very annoying.  It really grates on me when Bonnie Franklin does that "Oh my God..." phrase in practically every episode.  It seems like there was another actress who did that and I'm trying to place who that was!

I like seeing what they wore and the hair styles.  Valerie B. really bloomed into a beautiful young woman.  And it's fun to spot guest stars who went on to bigger and better things in the entertainment field.  I've seen Mark Hamill right before Star Wars hit it big.  I've also seen Robby Benson, Jay Leno, and Greg Evigan.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Tippi said:

It really grates on me when Bonnie Franklin does that "Oh my God..." phrase in practically every episode.  It seems like there was another actress who did that and I'm trying to place who that was!

Linda Lavin from Alice? They're from the same era and seem to have the same acting style.

I saw one the other day I had no recollection of, the one where sexually harasses her male assistant.  Yikes, what a cringe episode.  Like, rally Ann, you think this young guy is going to ditch his girlfriend and take up with you?  I get the point of the episode is that harassment can go both ways which is true.  But Ann, who's had this done to her, doesn't realize how inappropriate it is when she's doing it much less when she's being called to the carpet for it?   Highly unlikely. Watching this 40 years later, it's so strange to see that she doesn't get fired.  She just gets a "shoe's on the other foot" speech from Not!Higgins and carries on. 

• Love 2

This is the second New Year’s Eve “Talent” show I’ve seen.  It really stunk. I hope there’s not more than these two.   Ugh Katherine is awful.  She was playing some saws or something.  I changed the channel until she got off the screen.  Whenever she is on Ann becomes a lot more tolerable to me.  Max was a jerk at the beginning, but I like him in the later years for the most part except the falling in love with Barbara episode.  On a side note, I think the guy who played Max was cute 🤗 

• Like 1
On 8/8/2021 at 12:06 PM, Tippi said:

Other than Barbara, the characters can be very annoying.  It really grates on me when Bonnie Franklin does that "Oh my God..." phrase in practically every episode.  It seems like there was another actress who did that and I'm trying to place who that was!

I burst out laughing because as I was reading your comment Ann cries out, “Oh my God...” when Schneider, male model, walks into the apartment 😂

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

This is the second New Year’s Eve “Talent” show I’ve seen.  It really stunk. I hope there’s not more than these two.

There’s one more talent show down the road (although not set on New Years Eve).

I knew there was at least one more talent show because Julie was pregnant during it.  I think both Katherine and Francine are in it.  I'm pretty sure a clip of Francine's act was used for her in the opening credits. 

Was it one of the talent shows where Barbara did her Elton John impression?   That was pretty good.  Otherwise, pass. 

Edited by Maverick
31 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

Ugh, I hope Katherine is not in it.  

Uh oh. I hope you’re sitting down…..

But she did get to do a number with her real life niece (Shelley Fabares, “Francine”) so that was nice for the two of them.

30 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Was it one of the talent shows where Barbara did her Elton John impression?   That was pretty good.  Otherwise, pass

That’s in the first one, back in season 2.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, opus said:

Uh oh. I hope you’re sitting down…..

But she did get to do a number with her real life niece (Shelley Fabares, “Francine”) so that was nice for the two of them.

scared-afraid.gif

As soon as Katherine’s saws came out I stopped watching and then I think Katherine, Ann,and Barbara were playing triplets I tuned out again, so I only saw Barbara’s individual song and the Max/Schneider number. Barbara (always) and Schneider(after mid season 1/beginning season 2) were the only characters I liked consistently.  

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

then I think Katherine, Ann,and Barbara were playing triplets I tuned out again

Yeah, the triplets song routine is from a movie Nanette Fabray had done. The name of the movie escapes me, so if someone knows, let me know.

• Useful 1
23 minutes ago, opus said:

Yeah, the triplets song routine is from a movie Nanette Fabray had done. The name of the movie escapes me, so if someone knows, let me know.

It’s from The Band Wagon and the Triplets song was done with Fred Astaire and Jack Buchanan.

Triplets

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

After Alex goes to live with Ann when his dad dies and his mom needs to move around to start a new business does the mother ever come back to get him?  Also, did they have an episode for Nick’s death or was it wrapped it with that scene where Ann talks about drunk drivers?

1 hour ago, Irate Panda said:

After Alex goes to live with Ann when his dad dies and his mom needs to move around to start a new business does the mother ever come back to get him?  Also, did they have an episode for Nick’s death or was it wrapped it with that scene where Ann talks about drunk drivers?

That was the only mention of Nick's passing. 

They mentioned Alex going back to live with his mom but they didn't have a goodbye episode. I think the actor left for another show.

Antenna TV started on episodes where Barbara meets Mark. Still don't like him. I liked the guy she met at the airport much better. A shame they didn't explore a long distance relationship.

• Love 1

I just found the Mark character (and the actor who played him) to be pretty bland. The trouble with Barbara is that she was a very nice character, and it’s tough to write someone who contrasts with that but who is also a realistic pick for her.

I don’t know why they were in such a rush to marry off these young women so young.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, januaryman said:

I notice that Antenna always skips the first Ginny episode. Could that be because Ann and Ginny threaten to holler "rape" at the crooked upholstery guys?

https://ne-np.facebook.com/MiningCafe/videos/one-day-at-a-time-s02e08-the-upholstery-ripoff/603799300783246/

They do have the infamous Too Close for Comfort rape episode scheduled for 4/15 though.

Since you mentioned it, I checked the schedule, and two others from that time, Barbara’s Emergence and Schneider’s Pride and Joy, are also being skipped this time like Upholstery Rip-off. Which I can’t explain because each of them has been shown there many many times. (I remember years back they had an ODAAT Mother’s Day marathon, and the first one I saw that day was ‘Upholstery’)

Edited by opus

I didn’t much like the episodes immediately following Mark and Barbara’s wedding, where they lived at the rooming house with Susan from Eight is Enough, Wally from The Brady Brides, and the guy from Riptide. Susan’s character was particularly annoying - she was always wearing a towel because she played piano naked. Only on TV…

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The (awful IMO) episodes with Barbara, Mark, and the roommates smelled of "spin off series" to me.  The towel clad roomie seems to be an attempt to try and capture a Chrissy Snow jiggly sexy character. 

I also liked the airport episode and liked the actor who played Barbara's love interest.

The triplets talent show number, ugh!  But it was still a bit better than the awful Shirley Temple routine Bonnie Franklin did in, I think, the first talent show.

• Useful 2

Last weekend we watched the episode where Schneider learned he had a son.  We tuned in because we figured a Schneider centered episode might be an interesting change.

Bonnie Franklin was in EVERY. SINGLE. SCENE.

Even if you like Bonnie Franklin, even if you love her, why would she be in every scene?   When Schneider meets his son for the first time, Ann is dominating the conversation.  Each time along the way, Ann is iright there, dominating the dialogue.

In the final scene, Schneider says that there will be a lodge meeting coming up on Thursday.   It is special because it's the annual father son banquet.  Bonnie Franklin walks over and stands between Schneider and his son during this conversation.  It's crazy!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

I recently got the Complete Series box set of Silk Stalkings, and I had completely forgotten that Pat Harrington (Schneider) had played Benny Lorenzo, father of Chris Lorenzo, played by Rob Estes, in Season 4!

He seemed to have fun with the role.

• Like 1
On 2/14/2023 at 12:11 AM, WendyCR72 said:

He seemed to have fun with the role.

There's some black and white footage of a young Pat Harrington with an even younger Don Knotts.  They are so young it's hard to know it's Pat. 

. . . Until he starts talking.  That voice was exactly the same, even back then!

And yes, they both seemed to be having fun.

• Like 1

Watching this in its original run, I remember thinking Schneider was a very annoying character.  Watching it now, I actually enjoy Pat Harrington's performance!  And (small voice) he can be strangely attractive, which is an impression I never had when I watched this as a teen.

• Like 1

How times change. Julie was a teenager dating an older man. So creepy. Although Ann was seriously concerned, it wasn't as bad as how it would be nowadays. I think Julie was even allowed to go on a business trip with him? Was she at least 18 yet? 

I hate those episodes so I don't watch in reruns so I may have details wrong. I also don't watch Julie and Chuck runs away except the end when Ann told Julie "Don't come back." Love that part.

• Like 3

It's streaming now on Tubi, although some of the episodes are missing, for musical or other reasons. Missing from season 2 are David's New Job Pt. 1 (Part 2 is there), The Upholstery Ripoff (the one Antenna always skips) and Happy New Year (the second one is there but not the third musical show).