Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Tick Talk Tick Talk

Celina
  • Start Topic

I converted the show request into the Small Talk topic for the show -- a social topic and not generally for specific show discussion.

Please feel free to start new topics for characters, episodes, media mentions, actors, etc.

If you (collectively) would like to change/add the name of the Small Talk topic jokey bit just figure it out amongst yourselves and then email david@previously.tv and he'll change it.

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
  1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

We always see that criminals get caught by their cells phone because of them 'pinging' off of cell towers. The criminal will say.....

"I was home all nigh or  " I wasn't in that area at the time of the murder" 

So here is my  PSA" If you are going out to do something illegal ..... take the battery out of your cell phone or JUST LEAVE IT AT HOME!!!!!

Do these people watch  Crime shows ?  lol

• Love 4

We always see that criminals get caught by their cells phone because of them 'pinging' off of cell towers. The criminal will say.....

"I was home all nigh or  " I wasn't in that area at the time of the murder" 

So here is my  PSA" If you are going out to do something illegal ..... take the battery out of your cell phone or JUST LEAVE IT AT HOME!!!!!

So true! *snort* or get a burner phone. I, too, would think that all this is common knowledge.

• Love 2

I know, right?  At least us savvy aspiring criminals who watch these things know the does/don'ts before we set out to pull off a crime ;)!  

• Love 2

We were discussing the Dinh Bowman case in the eppys thread. He drove up to someone at a stop light and shot him

I have a story... not that bad but scary. An ex bf and I were visiting Atlanta. We had eaten at some place like a Denny's late at night before going to the hotel. There was a weird dude in the restaurant but we didnt' think much of it. He was wearing a heavy trench coat in July... in Georgia. But we paid, went to the car and started toward the hotel. Bf was driving and I was in the passenger seat. On the exit ramp we were stopped at a light. A car was next to us. I got that creepy "someone is looking at you" feeling and I glanced over at the driver of the other car. It was the guy from the restaurant and I freaked out. We waited for the green light, then made a few turns. HE WAS FOLLOWING US for sure after several turns. We began running lights and speeding in hopes of attracting a police car. The streets were oddly empty. (It was a suburb of Atlanta) We made a bad turn bc we didnt' know the area and we realized we were in an industrial area[[/i]I] in a dead end. We both freaked out. The guy was right on us. We were terrified. Somehow we got around him and  lost him and got back to the hotel and called the police.  IN retrospect we should have trusted our initial feeling that the guy was creepy and we should have noticed that we were being followed from the restaurant.

• Love 2
(edited)

^^ HOLY CRAP!!!

Ari, I'm so glad you and your boyfriend got back to the hotel safely. What a nightmare. I hope the police took it seriously. Did you get his license plate number?

Thank you. No we didnt' get the license number or heed our initial weird feelings at the restaurant. BIG MISTAKE Note to self and others ... listen to your gut!

He was in his car beside us and then behind us ...chasing us.. so we only had our descriptions of him and his car. no plate. It was terrifying.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2
(edited)

Here's another one and oddly enough it involved Atlanta. I was a bass player and ex bf was a pianist. We were going to get him some special piano that he wanted... anyway.... we were driving out of Atlanta after piano shopping  and I wanted to use the ladies' room. We didn't know the area and my bf just took the next exit hoping there'd be a bathroom. Well, we took a wrong exit. We drove a few yards and realized we hadn't taken a good exit. It was pouring rain. We thought , ok we need to turn around and get back on the interstate and pull over later for the bathroom. Meanwhile as we were trying to get turned around we pulled into a spot to turn around. ANd there he was...a dude... in the darkness of night in the pouring rain... in a .. one of those rent a box things... where you store things...storage units  He was SPRAY PAINTING... A WHOLE VAN ... IN THE POURING RAIN ...IN THE NIGHT   We hightailed it outta there and at the next exit we found a pay phone (pre cell phone era) and called the cops. Yikes.

Edited by ari333

Side note ....the police did take is seriously and said that we were not the only ones to have this experience/complaint.

Wow. I wonder if he ever managed to stop anyone or if he just followed people around and scared the crap out of them?

New Rule: Never trust a man in a trenchcoat in July.

• Love 2
(edited)

Wow. I wonder if he ever managed to stop anyone or if he just followed people around and scared the crap out of them?

New Rule: Never trust a man in a trenchcoat in July.

The trenchcoat in July in Georgia should have been a huge clue, but he was also giving off creepy vibes. We should have been more aware of who was behind us when we were leaving. Live and learn. We don't even know if he followed us TO the restaurant. We did wonder if he targeted people with out of state tags....presumably visiting or IDK what. It's been 30 years and I can still envision his face. And I did describe him to police. My point is... I got a gut feeling in the restaurant about this dude and I didn't listen to my feeling. I mentioned my fear to my bf before we left the restaurant and he kind of blew me off as silly. He said "yeah he's creepy" but that was it.  When I said "trenchcoat is right beside us" in the car, I wasn't so silly then.  

Also, dudes who spray paint a van at 11 at night in the rain at a storage facility are likely up to no good. :-)

Edited by ari333
  • Love 5

I have an Atlanta car story but it's not scary. I'm originally from Chicago, and belong to the club of - don't look at the car next to you. So I'm with family in downtown Atlanta for the Olympics. At a stop light I allow my eyes to stray to the next car. There is a very friendly southerner smiling at me and saying, "hey, how ya doing?" It was like he wanted to strike up a friendship in the midst of this madhouse. That very night was the bombing. We had been headed to Centennial Park but were sidetracked by free tickets to the Coke building (what a bore). We were driving back to Chicago the next day so we decided to just go home. I'm a nurse and my cousin is a cop - I can't imagine the fallout if we were there. My cousin always carries his gun and he would have been in his element. The next morning my other cousin said the cop cousin had woken her up in the middle of the night to tell her about the bombing but she thought it was a dream.

• Love 2

The trenchcoat in July in Georgia should have been a huge clue, but he was also giving off creepy vibes. We should have been more aware of who was behind us when we were leaving. Live and learn. We don't even know if he followed us TO the restaurant. We did wonder if he targeted people with out of state tags....presumably visiting or IDK what. It's been 30 years and I can still envision his face. And I did describe him to police. My point is... I got a gut feeling in the restaurant about this dude and I didn't listen to my feeling. I mentioned my fear to my bf before we left the restaurant and he kind of blew me off as silly. He said "yeah he's creepy" but that was it.  When I said "trenchcoat is right beside us" in the car, I wasn't so silly then.  

Also, dudes who spray paint a van at 11 at night in the rain at a storage facility are likely up to no good. :-)

I'm a firm believer that women need to learn to listen to our gut more. In my role as nurse my gut is almost perfect and I trust it. But as to my private life, I tend to dismiss it. I remember a night class on campus where I walked the shorter path of dark alleys and unlit streets. I didn't want to look fearful so I refused to change my route.

Years later, I was rushing to get somewhere and had to stop at the ATM. it was at a bank where I had to get out of my car. The bank was closed and two guys were sitting in a car watching me. I tried to make myself get out but I felt such a sense of doom. I finally realized that I was going to feel really stupid if I was robbed or dead. But I debated for a minute or two. Seems stupid in retrospect.

I also think of that story where the community theatre actor killed the ex-military guy so he could drain his bank account, and then killed the guy's female friend to make it look like the guy had attacked her and fled. After he killed the guy, he sent several texts to the girl to lure her over. He kept making inappropriate comments like, "please no sex". The friendship was not sexual and the girl knew the whole thing was weird, but she went and she was killed. I think women can be overly concerned about being nice and not hurting someone's feelings.

• Love 5

I work with someone who was pulled over by this guy in San Diego: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Cara_Knott

He invited her into his police car while he wrote out the ticket. She said nothing happened except that he asked her if she liked men in uniform.

Still, moral of that story - never get into a car with a stranger, even a cop.

Your friend was very lucky.  Craig Peyer made me rethink how and where I would EVER pull over for a cop again.  To this day, every time I pass that place, I think of poor Cara.

• Love 2

re: Gut instinct. I HIGHLY recommend the book "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin deBecker who is a big deal in the personal security sector. He gives a lot of tips and illustrations of how/why to trust your gut and how to refine your awareness of your surroundings.  I found it helpful when I was being stalked and promptly gave each of my nieces a copy.

• Love 4

YES about the book. I especially liked the part about "no" and if someone persists after you say NO, you're being manipulated. ANd you don't have to be "nice" to strangers or allow people to approach you  - those who claim to want... directions... a light... the time... whatever.

• Love 2