Type keyword(s) to search

Secret Wars

• Start Topic

This is intended for the 2015 mini-series and tie-ins, but if you really want to talk about the other Secret Wars titles, nobody ever gets tired of talking about Spider-Man teaching the Beyonder to poop.

Yeah, I read some controversy on comicbookresources about Lady Thor getting picked over Storm.  What do y'all think?

Anyway, I admit I cried while reading the first issue.  The epitaphs for the 616 Earth and The Ultimate Marvel Earth got to me.   How, if ever, they're going to bring back the 616-Earth, or if that is what it actually will be, does peak my interest.  Or is it just going to be Battleworld from now on?  That sounds more exciting, frankly.

I was kind of annoyed by the Marvel Universe epitaph being "1961-2015." It feels weird to date it from the Fantastic Four when Captain America dates back to the 1940s. And Namor first appeared in 1939!

I was kind of annoyed by the Marvel Universe epitaph being "1961-2015." It feels weird to date it from the Fantastic Four when Captain America dates back to the 1940s. And Namor first appeared in 1939!

I think it might be because Timely Comics didn't become Marvel Comics until 1961.

I think we're going to have to wait until #2 to see if people were "picked" or not.  From what I understand, the point of Battleworld is that no one (save for Doom?  I guess?)  has any idea that anything other than Battleworld ever existed.  I have to admit, I felt SW#1 viscerally in a way I didn't quite expect, even knowing that we're probably going to come out the other side mostly intact.

I think the thing I'm currently most excited about is Guardians of Knowhere.

(edited)

Well, I just read issue 2.  I'm putting it in spoilers.  If I'm doing that wrong, may the mod take 'em off.

It was mostly a step-up issue, the Battleworld and such.

Doom has seemed to recreate the universe in his image (or that's what it seems). He's called God-Doom and worshipped as such.

It also looks like Susan Richards and her children have survived, along with the other Children of the Future Foundation. Valeria is one of Doom's ministers, while Franklin sits upon one of Galactus' hands. Galactus is the guardian over Doomstadt, where, naturally, Dr. Doom holds "court". Dr. Strange is Doom's chief justice.

We get to see the goings on of Doom's court and what happens to those who betray him. We also learn that there is a resistance going taking place in some place called The Silent Chambers.

The A Plot concerns the discovery of what looks to be the life raft from the end of issue one. The Thor Corps (lead by Odin/King Thor) investigate.

King Thor is slain by the inhabitants of the Life Raft - Thanos, the Ultimate Universe Reed Richards, and the ones who were with them during the Incursion. The issue ends with them walking out into this new world. And since the Life Raft was discovered below the Realm of Utopolis, ruled by Hyperion and the Squadron Supreme, it looks like that realm is royally screwed.

Artwork wise, well, Esad Ribic does a good job if you're willing to overlook some of the weirder facial expressions the characters have.

The issue does make me intrigued for more, especially since many of the realms appear to be ruled by villains and no one (including Susan Richards and her children) has any memory of their old worlds.

Oh, and the "Classified" realms are all Doom related. I fucking hate Dr. Doom.

The last three pages are covers for tie-ins, some of which look pretty good (yay, X-men '92) and what will be the cover for Issue three.

With the plot, I can't help but be reminded about what just happened on Once Upon a Time, where the stories are rewritten to where the villains are the ones on top.  But where as OUaT just inverted the characters from good to evil and vice versa, this takes the more straightforward approach.

Edited by bmoore4026

The big question for me is if the new Marvel Universe (whatever it's called) will suck as badly as DC's nightmarishly shitty 52 reboot.

Maybe we need a new topic to speculate JUST about that, vs. the actual Secret Wars miniseries.

(edited)

My suspicion (and based on developments in #2, I think I'm right) is that there is no "nuMU" coming.  It's just going to be 616 with a few survivors of the Ultimate universe.  We already know Miles comes across, and I think it's a foregone conclusion that Ultimate Nick Fury will also.

]Now that I've figured out that the plot is going to be that the survivors of both the Cabal and the good guys are going to have to overthrow Doom and reset things, I think it supports that. I've just had a thought that all of the talk of reboots has been just to rile up the internet nerds.

Also, I find myself really appreciating how well-thought-out Battleworld is. The idea that all of the "zones" are allowed to exist only on the largesse of Doom makes a lot more sense than anything else I'd come up with on my own. And I actually LOVE the idea that if you cross Doom, you're exiled beyond the Shield to the truly awful zones beyond to meet your death.

Although I am confused that if there's nothing in the universe beyond Battleworld and Knowhere, where Beta Ray Bill thinks he came from.

It also looks like Susan Richards and her children have survived, along with the other Children of the Future Foundation. Valeria is one of Doom's ministers

I don't think it's necessarily a case of Sue and the kids "surviving," so much as them being at the place Doom wants them. I assume there are perhaps multiple versions of several characters--the existence of kingdoms for both Spider-Island and Spider-Verse as well as all the X-Men related ones supports that--hanging around.

Edited by starri
  • Love 1

I know that Doom is the premier Marvel villain at this point but... holy crap have I ever gotten tired of Doom Knows All; Doom Sees All; Doom Rules All.

Odin's Ravens... talking about overkill. Also, tossing "Doom" into every phrase makes him come off as more of a Smurf out of control than anything else.

For my money, Doom can have a thousands seats and shut up for awhile.

• Love 1

I know that Doom is the premier Marvel villain at this point but... holy crap have I ever gotten tired of Doom Knows All; Doom Sees All; Doom Rules All.

Odin's Ravens... talking about overkill. Also, tossing "Doom" into every phrase makes him come off as more of a Smurf out of control than anything else.

For my money, Doom can have a thousands seats and shut up for awhile.

I have a feeling a man that needs his name over soooooo much must have a wee-wee the size of a peanut.  That's what I take away from Dr. Doom.  Plus, his mommy issues are annoying.

My suspicion (and based on developments in #2, I think I'm right) is that there is no "nuMU" coming.  It's just going to be 616 with a few survivors of the Ultimate universe.  We already know Miles comes across, and I think it's a foregone conclusion that Ultimate Nick Fury will also.

I do think they may do a soft reboot (for lack of a better term), and eliminate some stories from the canon. For example if I was in charge of Marvel, I would negate the Chuck Austen story about Nightcrawler being the son of a demon. (I mean the whole point to the character is that regardless of his appearance, he's just as human as you or me).

So anyone have any opinions on other stories that should be erased from the canon?

I do think they may do a soft reboot (for lack of a better term), and eliminate some stories from the canon. For example if I was in charge of Marvel, I would negate the Chuck Austen story about Nightcrawler being the son of a demon. (I mean the whole point to the character is that regardless of his appearance, he's just as human as you or me).

So anyone have any opinions on other stories that should be erased from the canon?

A lot of folks still want the Spider Unmarriage (aka "One More Day") erased.

That said, going BACK to the marriage is probably a shitty idea too.  Just erase the last traces (some have already been undone I think) of the Mephisto shit.  Not that anyone in continuity remembers it though.  Maybe just imply going forward what many people ALWAYS wanted if the marriage had to be undone.  That it always was that way.  No demon deals necessary.

Like I said on another thread, I got the first issue, but mostly for the blank cover that I can get sketched. Problem is, I don't know which character I should ask to get sketched. I was thinking Miles Morales/Spider-Man, or maybe something cosmic like Galactus. Any thoughts?

Line starts behind Carol Danvers giving birth to her own rapist.

Only way that or any of the continuity cock-ups can be truly erased is collecting every copy of the issues, trade paperbacks, and reference materials that reference it.  In other words, an impossibility.

Once you've painted yourself in a corner, you can stand there like a jackass waiting for the paint to dry or walk across the paint and removing your shoes at the threshold.  There's an analogy in there somewhere.  I thought it was clever, but now I'm not sure which would be the better option.

Well, A-Force was just...delightful.

And also good, and backing up my believe in the fact that there's no NuMU coming, everyone seems to remember that something existed before Battleworld, even if they're not sure what.

• Love 1

I forgot that A-Force was coming out today. That looks great. Once I saw the map of Manhattan in last week's with 616 getting one side and 1610 the other, I'm hoping people remember where they come from before Battleworld. I've been wondering how Spider-Gwen is happening since it's not on either remaining universe.

(edited)

There are some books (Spider-Gwen and Squirrel Girl, and I think a few others) that are happening outside of the Secret Wars meta-plot.

ETA:  Spider-Gwen is also one of the main characters in the Spider-Verse tie-in, taking place in the regency of Arachnia.  

Norman Osborn appears to be the baron of Archania, and Gwen seems to have some of the strongest memories of the pre-Battleworld Multiverse. She even comes across the grave of the 616-Gwen at one point and seems to remember falling off the bridge.

Edited by starri

They dropped some preview art for the first issue of Thors.  The cover to SW#2 already showed that Storm, Throg and Beta Ray Bill were part of the team, but it turns out 

Groot

is too.

That pleases me more than I can say.

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, A-Force was just...delightful.

And also good, and backing up my believe in the fact that there's no NuMU coming, everyone seems to remember that something existed before Battleworld, even if they're not sure what.

Poor Ms. America though.  And I hate seeing all the Thors acting like fascists.  Hopefully one will grow a brain and help the heroes.

And I am curious who sparkling star lady is.  Also, JEAN GREY AS PHOENIX!!!!   YAY!

Read Ultimate End.  616 Spider-Man doesn't like that the Ultimate Universe knows his identity.  It's hilarious when he goes to the big meeting of the 616 heroes (Avengers and X-Men) and The Ultimates and he asks who knows his identity.  All the Ultimate heroes plus Emma Frost raise their hands.  Hee!  Also, Ultimate Iron Man does not like 616 Iron Man.  Can we keep Ultimate Iron Man when everything goes back to normal?

Also (after reading Battleworlds), can we keep MODOK's Daughter!?  So cute, so funny, and so psychotic!  I love her!

Read Planet Hulk.  Oooo, I likey me sexy Barbarian Captain America.  Plus, he has rage issues and has no qualms against killing. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M

So far the tie-in comics have been pretty good.  A-Force is awesome and their realm looks so nice.  Then again, if you ignore the constant battles and draconian adoration toward Doom, all of Battleworld looks like fun.

Edited by bmoore4026
(edited)

Poor Ms. America though.

Don't worry.  Her fate was just to set up her presence in Siege.

I'm more curious to see if her relationship with Loki is going to survive whenever the universe resets back to normal.

I also loved that Dazzler was out policing Arcadia in her rollerskates.

ETA:  I should also mention it's an absolutely gorgeous book.  This knocked it out of the park in just about every conceivable way.

Edited by starri
  • Love 1

Very meh so far. But then, most of Marvel's BIG EVENTS from the last decade or so have kind of sucked. Promising much, delivering little. We'll see if its as shitty as Original Sin. At this point, I'd just as soon skip the event and move on to the post event status quo. Granted, I'm in no rush to have Miles Morales as the new Spider-man or rehash the 1990s X-men (not their best era, though at least they aren't bringing back the Austen era X-men), but we'll see how things settle for a year or 2 until the NEXT BIG EVENT THAT WILL CHANGE THE MARVEL UNIVERSE...FOREVER!!! happens.

I am having such a hard time reading this and DC's Convergence at the same time. They should have had THOSE crossover.

I sort of skimmed through the MODOK story because that has never been my thing. I really enjoyed Spider-Verse and A-Force this week.

Well, the latest batch of tie-ins came out today.

X-Men '92 brought me so much joy.  These are the X-Men I know and love :D  Campy dialogue, gorgeous art, a big battle with Sentinels reminiscent of the first episode of the animated series (poor mall got destroyed again) and seeing Senator, or rather Baron, Robert Kelly wearing a cape and driving a chariot pulled by robot horses, it was all delightful!  Plus Cassandra Nova shows up at the end.  I'm loving this!

The rest were kind of meh.

Inhumans Rising shows us that Medusa rules over Manhattan and that Grand Central Station is home to The Quiet Room, a sort of nightclub where people from all the domains of Battleworld secretly meet.  It's run by Black Bolt, or rather "Blackagar", and he can talk freely there without destroying everything.  The Marvel Noir version of Ghost Rider (called G-Man) was neat, what with the awesome car and all, but there was not much else to write home about.

Inferno had some neat visuals but was kind of depressing.  The concept of the heroes failing and Manhattan, and just Manhattan, falling to the demons, along with Colossus' annual suicide (suicide for others, that is)  runs to save his sister, even though she's completely gone over to the darkside makes for a dull read.  I think I'll be passing this up.

Infinity Gauntlet doesn't actually take place during the Infinity Gauntlet storyline.  At first, I thought it took place on a devastated Manhattan, but no, I just didn't know planet Xandar was so similar to Earth.  Anyway,  this Xandar was completely destroyed by an alien insect invasion (The Annihilation Wave?) and focuses on a family just trying to survive.  Family gets attacked by evil insects, one of them finds an Infinity Gem, mother saves family, Thanos stalks family from shadows.  Wasn't bad but I felt confused because I thought it took place on an alternate Manhattan.  I'll continue to read this one; the family dynamic is intriguing.

The only thing that got my attention about Secret Wars 2099 was that Hercules was in it.  That's it.

And Secret War Journal told us stories about the 1602 version of the Young Avengers and Egyptia, where mutants are the Hebrew slaves, apparently.

So, yeah.

I didn't see X-Men '92 on the schedule. I had no reason to hit a comic shop. Looks like I might have to rectify that tomorrow.

ETA: Oh, it's a digital thing. Did not know that, either.

I didn't see X-Men '92 on the schedule. I had no reason to hit a comic shop. Looks like I might have to rectify that tomorrow.

ETA: Oh, it's a digital thing. Did not know that, either.

Yeah, the paper version comes out in June.  Sorry.

And Secret War Journal told us stories about the 1602 version of the Young Avengers and Egyptia, where mutants are the Hebrew slaves, apparently.

I wanted more of the 1602 Young Avengers.  I'm hoping they might show up in Angela: Witch Hunter, but I'm not holding my breath.

Unfortunately, the set-up is just to put Kate at the Shield along with Ms. America for Siege. But Kate Bishop is awesome no matter which dimension she's from.

Inhumans Rising got points for the fun version of Ghost Rider, and by acknowledging that there IS a resistance to Doom's rule over Battleworld.  

Inferno got points for the great use of Boom-Boom, who's always been a favorite of mine.

• Love 1

Until she got killed by N'asty or whatever the fuck his name is.

When was the last time a comic book death REALLY stuck? I mean, it may be it for her in Inferno, but once the team of the Good Guys, the Cabal, and whatever resistance they're able to raise on Battleworld overthrows Doom and forces him to undo the mess he made, she'll be back.

Also, Scott in Xavier's wheelchair was just a bit on the nose.

• Love 1

I'll probably pick up X-Men '92, though I find it a bit off-putting that Chris Sims is writing about the same guys whose adventures he recapped on ComicsAlliance. Make me wonder if his "Batman '66" recaps are going to be a springboard into writing the digital-first series from DC.

I wound up scanning a few SW titles. I looked through Old Man Logan . . . didn't seem as readable from Bendis as it was from Mark MIllar. I'm not a Wolverine fan, but I did get this OML sketch three years ago.

You like what you like and you vote with your dollars, of course, but to my surprise, I'm enjoying the hell out of this.

However much is "matters" will be settled by the end of the story, but I find myself not really caring about that, because so many of the stories that take place in the nooks and crannies of Battleworld are interesting, fun, or both.  We're only a month in, but I haven't enjoyed an Event this much since DC's 52.

If the idea of alternate timelines wasn't something appealing, What If...? wouldn't have run for almost 200 issues.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I think I figured out what I don't like about the main series, besides the artwork - Dr. Doom and Dr. Strange read the same to me.  I just read them in the same voice.  Is it because they're both a bit dull.

Anyway, issue three came out today.  Lot of talking this issue.  Lot of talking.  But, the other Liferaft (the one with the heroes) opened today.

It's been in Dr. Strange's possession since Battleworld's creation. He also remembers the old universe and maybe involved with the resistance against Doom.

Other than that, nothing major happens.  Susan Storm and Doom talk.  Doom finds godhood boring but Susan still loves him.  She misses Johnny, whom Doom transformed into Battleworld's sun, that revolves around the planet instead of the other way around. 

So basically, Doom turned into The King of All Cosmos from Katamari Damacy, only less fun and more existential.

In reading the tie-ins, I wonder why none of the artists in those books couldn't have drawn the main book?

Edited by bmoore4026

It may have been mostly exposition, but it was necessary exposition.  And it was well-written, which always helps dialog-heavy comics.

For me, what sold it was that despite the fact that the story is still heading in the direction I predicted, it's not doing it quite the WAY it predicted.

From the way Strange has appeared both in the main book and in the tie-ins, as Doom's loyal enforcer, he was the last one I'd have pegged as being still the 616 version of himself, and B) the seed of revolution against Doom.

I also really appreciated that they didn't go the way a lot of people were fearing--that Sue was going to be mind-controlled or whatever.  Giving her agency (

and the knowledge that there was a multiverse before Battleworld

) puts the gender politics of the story well ahead of what a lot of people thought we were going to get.

It may have been mostly exposition, but it was necessary exposition.  And it was well-written, which always helps dialog-heavy comics.

For me, what sold it was that despite the fact that the story is still heading in the direction I predicted, it's not doing it quite the WAY it predicted.

From the way Strange has appeared both in the main book and in the tie-ins, as Doom's loyal enforcer, he was the last one I'd have pegged as being still the 616 version of himself, and B) the seed of revolution against Doom.

I also really appreciated that they didn't go the way a lot of people were fearing--that Sue was going to be mind-controlled or whatever.  Giving her agency (

and the knowledge that there was a multiverse before Battleworld

) puts the gender politics of the story well ahead of what a lot of people thought we were going to get.

Yeah, Hickman convinced me that Doom and Sue's love is genuine.  Totally a member of Team Doom.  Suck it, Reed.

And, yeah, the exposition was necessary.  And we get a hint of what happened to Molecule Man, though solicitations for July kind of spoiled it already.  Battleworld's core, anyone?

Starting to read the tie-ins, so I'll be back later.  Just started on Years of Future Past

I love Kate and Colossus' daughter, Christina. I hope she stays around after Secret Wars. Though, from her name, she probably won't be around long. She may come back three days later after Sentinels kill her. Who knows?

Yeah, Hickman convinced me that Doom and Sue's love is genuine.  Totally a member of Team Doom.  Suck it, Reed.

Due?  Soom?

Assuming that people come out of Battleworld with memories of what happened (which I think is likely; hell, people remember being killed and brought back during Infinity Gauntlet) that's going to give whoever is going to take over FF some REALLY interesting material to work with.

I'm calling it now:  this is going to end with Doom making the sacrifice to put everything back more or less as it was, and he's going to do it because Sue asked.

(edited)

Well, I've read a couple of the tie-ins.

Really, really, really loved Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows.  Seeing Peter and Mary Jane kick ass in their own ways to protect their family was fantastic.  Bittersweet though, as the villain Regent kills all the other superheroes and takes their powers.  However, it seems under his watch, the Renew Your Vows Manhattan quickly becomes a Tomorrowland utopia.  I think it'll be interesting come the inevitable showdown.

Years of Future Past was nice.  The humans in charge are so slimy, I can't wait 'til they get their comeuppance.  What's interests me is what they infer about Kate Pryde's group at the interment camp - that she and Colossus sell out the location of other mutants, including former X-Men.  I'll love to see how this plays out, especially with Christina and Wolverine's son, whom I hope also survives.

The lastest Battleworld issue was kind of half-and-half - ignore the War Machine story, read the "70s era Blade and Howard the Duck fight vampire ducks" story.

Edited by bmoore4026

Alonso also made it clear that this is not a hard reboot of the Marvel Universe, telling the NY Post that they are not “throwing away decades of history... There may be some new characters. There may be some changes to the relationships. But it’s the Marvel Universe. It’s just the next chapter." In the NY Daily News interview, he bluntly states, "This is not a reboot."

Called it.

• Love 1

I don't have Little Avengers vs X-Babies.  Really need to get it.

I did get The X-Tinction Agenda tie-in.  Apparently, Genosha is a part of the E is for Extinction domain and everyone there has some sort of virus and are under quarantine by Baroness Rachel Gray.  Yeah.  Rachel Summers/Gray is the one overseeing that particular domain.

Though I'm an X-Men fan, I've never cared for The X-Tinction Agenda crossover.  Genosha as a whole is a flawed concept.  If Claremont was trying to create a South Africa analog, then shouldn't the mutants have already been there and the humans invade and take over rather than a human island that kidnaps mutants and make them do slave labor.  Not to mention there's been a shit ton of mutants along with a very technologically advanced island run by humans committing heinous crimes against humanity and Xavier and the rest of the world had no idea.  Cassandra Nova had the right idea in blowing it the shit up.

Armor Wars.  I picked it up specifically because James Robinson is the writer and while the results are interesting, I'm not sure it clicked for me 100%.

Tony Stark is the Baron of Technopolis, which is half-Blade Runner, half-Fifth Element except there's a virus that forces everyone into armor at all times.  Stark controls most of the armor trade, but his brother Arno, who is a bad actor, but Tony allows his freedom because of his memories of their father (and of life together before Battleworld, just like Spider-Gwen).  In the opening pages, Technopolis' Spider-Man Peter Urich (his armor is cool, it has eight eyes) is killed, which raises the hackles of the local Thor (as you've probably guessed, this is War Machine).  Kingpin is involved somehow as well, although he doesn't appear on the page.

Next week, I'm going to be very poor, because I think I want just about every book except Ghost Racers.

• Love 1

There's something I've realized I like about this mini-series and its tie-ins - titles featuring the same characters but in different continuities instead of one big continuity.

I really hope, though I might not be fulfilled, that they keep this format.  Have titles that have the Marvel characters in them but in different continuities. 

I know Marvel has always been tight on continuity but some of the titles that have been published I could see continuing. (A-Force will along with X-Men '92, I think.  I'd love it if the Spider-Man Renew Your Vows continuity continued.)

I really hope, though I might not be fulfilled, that they keep this format.  Have titles that have the Marvel characters in them but in different continuities. 

That's not really unheard of for Marvel, though.  Off the top of my head, they've done (of course) Ultimate Marvel, 2099, and the ill-fated New Universe.  I believe Spider-Gwen has been upped to an ongoing series from a mini, so there's at least one.  And they can do X-Men '92 the same way DC does Batman '66 and Wonder Woman '77.  

Most of the other series don't, I think, work without the central conceit of Battleworld.  If A-Force continues, it's probably going to be within the 616 continuity.

• Love 1

1602 Witch Hunter Angela.  The middle of the story is pretty meh (except for an excited appearance of Ben Urich-1602 who seems like the town crier), but it opens and closes strongly.  The opening finds Angela hunting Witchbreed (1602's version of mutants) for King James and finds one 

sitting on the throne as King James Howlett, revealed when he pops his claws when she stabs him.

, the middle reveals a new threat that isn't the Witchbreed, and the final page teases the fact that she's to be teaming up with 

the Guardians 1602

.  This is more potential than actually good story, and the faux-Elizabethan dialog is a bit much, but I'll give it another month.

Inhumans: Attilan Rising.  Ms. Marvel is all grown up.  Also settles something in the dialog.  After we see a steampunk Tony Stark (who I assume wandered in from 1872), someone has a line about thinking that they'd met "all of the Tonys," so it seems some people are aware that there are multiple versions of the same people running around Battleworld.

Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps.  This was just made of Win.  Even if the only thing had been the Jet Age-style font on the splash page, I would have given this high marks.  But it's 100% authentic Carol Danvers, and because of the plot motivation, which Carol resolves to answer heretical-to-Doom question "What's beyond the sky?" I'm betting this is more integral to the main plot than it might appear.

Inferno.  Not a great comic, and not really a groundbreaking comic, but certainly a fun comic to read.  I was bothered by Maddie Pryor being 2/3rds naked, but she makes up for the cheesecake with snarky dialog and her exasperation at her son, a Tween version of Cable.  This isn't going to be going anywhere revolutionary, but it should be a fun ride.  Oh and 

Boom Boom isn't dead.

Spider-Verse.  Six little Spiders, all in a row, all of whom know something is wrong with the world.  Pavitr Prabhakar thinks he's ready for anything, but he doesn't have anything on Spider-Man Noir.  And it's really a fascinating look at how "weird" has been normalized on Battleworld, because Spider-Ham doesn't phase Gwen in the slightest.  If her own story has to go on hiatus, come back with a new #1 and an eight-month time-jump, this will be good to hold me over.

• Love 1

1602 Witch Hunter Angela was more comedic that I thought it would be, which is lovely.  Next issue will involve the 1602 Guardians of the Galaxy.  Can't wait.

Ultimate End, I thought, was pretty decent.  A throwdown between 616 and Ultimate Hulks.  Yes, please. 

The last panel, showing the 616 and Ultimate heroes flying toward The Raft got me hyped for more. Too bad about Ultimate Hawkeye, though....if you're a Hawkeye fan. I'm not. I mean, I use him in Avengers Ultimate Alliance, but, as a character, I still find him to be an asshole. Give me the Arrow version of Oliver Queen any day.

Weirdworld was.....interesting.  Apparently Weirdworld is a domain where characters that don't fit are placed, is constantly shifting, and is ruled by Morgan Le Fey.  The feature character is Arkon, the hero-villain that usually kidnaps Storm or Scarlet Witch or some other energy using heroine to reactivate his world's engines and keep it from dying.  He also seems to be vaguely aware of the reality screw-up and how he can't get back to his world.  Intrigued but don't know if I'll keep reading, at least not yet.

I rather enjoyed this issue of Inferno.  I loved Madelyne Pryor's cattiness, despite being dressed like the Ho Queen.  And her response to little Nathan demanding to be called "Cable"  was great.  Still, worried about Boom-Boom. 

Getting dragged away to get experimented on cannot end well.

Still need to read Captain Marvel and The Carol Corps.  Ditto for Marvel Zombies.  Skipping the Ghost Rider comic.

Second issue of Secret War Journal was meh.  I do like that the Killville domain is essentially Comedic Sociopathy Land.  Sometimes you just need to throw caution to the winds and smash your car through a brick wall, if you know you can walk away from it.  Poor Paladin at the end of that first story, though.  As for the second story, we get to learn more about Bar Sinister....don't read it while eating.

1602 Rocket Raccoon? For real? I can buy a 17th Century Groot, but a humanoid varmit? It would make up for how "blah" 1602 was when it came out.

I peeked through Ghost Racers. No Zero Cochrane, so I didn't buy it. Lots of Robbie Reyes, if you're into Ghost Rider-sans-bike. Also: Centaur Ghost Rider, because why not?