Type keyword(s) to search

Secret Wars

• Start Topic

1602 Rocket Raccoon? For real? I can buy a 17th Century Groot, but a humanoid varmit? It would make up for how "blah" 1602 was when it came out.

You should see the page at the end of Witch Hunter Angela, it shows what the cover to the next issue will be.  1602 Raccoon is so cute!  And 1602 is kind of fucking creepy looking.

Read Captain Marvel and The Carol Corps.  Liked it.  Love how there's one member of Carol's team learning more about the universe rather than just accepting the answer to everything as "Doom did it".  It also shows that even some common people are starting to question the reality of Battleworld.

I am intrigued by Baroness Cochran. 

I'm thinking she's either the Supreme Intelligence in human form or Mystique.

Like I said, I've been enjoying the X-related spinoffs (though A-Force was really good too).

I was dreading Old Man Logan.  I've despised Bendis's run on the X-Men and quit it early.  He has no understanding of the team and his Logan has always been awful.  So count me as surprised with Old Man Logan.  He definitely channeled Mark Millar and it felt like a legitimate sequel to the original classic story.  The art took a little getting used to but I really enjoyed that too and it felt epic.

As for yesterday, I read the second issue of Inferno.  It started off slow for me but I really liked the second half.  Snarky Madelyne was fun and Kid Cable was a great addition.

Also read Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos.  Gerry Duggan get to continue his GREAT run on Deadpool with this and as always, it's quite funny.

Also, Hickman revealed on CBR yesterday that the Sue that is in the role of Mrs. God isn't the 616 version.  I'm going to have to chew on what that means for a while.

(edited)

"The Last Days of Captain America and the Mighty Avengers"--a book I never read (although if the rest of it was as good as this issue, I probably should have) and picked up only because I loved the cover--had me dangerously close to teary-eyed at points.

"The Last Days of Ms. Marvel" continues the theme, that when the world ends, the real heroes are true to themselves.  She will meet it trying to save Jersey City, like she always does, only with an assist from 

her hero.

Armor Wars #2 - Dr. Druid is Technopolis' medical examiner, Arno Stark and Kingpin are trying to steal something, and during Spyder-Man's autopsy, War Machine-Thor and Dr. Druid find out the why all the citizens of Technopolis need to wear armor.  It's fine, just kind of disjointed.

Runaways #1 - no actual Runaways save for Molly here.  It's a cross between the Hunger Games and the Hitler Youth, as promising kids from all over Battleworld are brought to Doomstadt to be tested to join the elite class of Battleworld.  Set up is interesting (

Valeria

is the school's headmaster/mistress), selection of characters will make people happy (personally: Cloak and Dagger), art is horrifying.

Edited by starri

Thors #1 - It's a cop show! It's CSI: Marvel! It's various Thors (including Beta Ray Bill, Storm, Groot, the Destroyer, etc) who are 'made worthy' and that's how they get their hammer and status as a Thor - Battleworld Law Enforcement. And they're solving a murder. I'm kind of enjoying this one. Sure, it's only been one issue but I like it.

(edited)

I AM THOR!

I swear I saw some preview art that had a Rocket-Thor as well, so I'm hoping that means we'll see them together.

Also, Throg the Forensic Thor?  Best thing ever.

Edited by starri
  • Love 1

Hoooooo boy, you're not going to like what I thought.

I didn't care for Thors, in spite of Forensics Frog Thor and Groot Thor.  Just too much talking and not enough action. 

I don't think I'll be reading more Armor Wars.  It just bored me.

And I won't be reading Squadron Sinister anymore.  Basically, it was the Justice League of Sociopaths, with innocent civilians caught in-between.  How can I root for the heroes when there's not a thing to like about them?  I mean, at least Breaking Bad made Walter White sympathetic. They did slaughter the Ultimate universe version of The Squadron Supreme, so there was that.

(edited)

Well, the tie-ins came out yesterday.  Might as well talk about the ones I've read so far.

Love, love, loooooooove Infinity Gauntlet!  The Nova family is a delight.  Even the dog got Nova powers, how can you not love that!  The teenage girl is supposed to be the new Nova at the end of Secret Wars but I hope the rest of the family gets included some how.

Korvac Saga was interesting.  A celebrity driven domain almost seems like parody, but the real hook is that there are some people who remember stars, actual stars made of gas and energy, existing.  That's the one thing Doom didn't create - stars in the sky other than the sun.  This "thought plague" seems to be contagious, as

Michael Korvac's wife becomes infected at the end.

This, coupled with Michael's barely restrained animosity toward Baron Wonder Man makes me think we're in for a "Macbeth"-esque plot.  Also, we got to see the original Guardians of the Galaxy together again.  Meh.  No talking tree or raccoon, then I don't care.

Age of Ultron vs Marvel Zombies wasn't too bad.  I liked the artwork more than the slug out between zombies and evil robots.  The side characters are what interest me (1872 Hank Pym and Janet van Dyne, alternate Tigra whose domain I'm not sure she comes from but she's a rebel of some sort, and the three characters that show up at the end.  Not going to tell you who they are but it did spike my interest.  Also 1872 Hank Pym is cute).

E is for Extinction  almost seems like a continuation of Grant Morrison's X-Men run, though the Magneto in thuis story is much more likable and not out of character like Morrison wrote him.  Magneto's Legion of Substitute X-Men seemed to have their shit together.  Middle-aged, overweight, and depowered Cyclops, White Queen, and Wolverine were intriguing, though I hate that

Scott and Emma are sleeping together while Jean is trapped in a Phoenix Egg. You have no shame, Cyclops.

So, yeah.  There's that.

Haven't read the current issue of Planet Hulk yet and I read the digital release of X-Men '92 #1 last month, so I have to read the former and I'm skipping the latter for this month.

What are all your thoughts?

Edited by bmoore4026

Captain Marvel and the Carol Corp are also starting off with the 'no stars' thing. Kit is a Thor and giddily telling Carol about being chosen by the hammer. She says that 'All-Father Doom' made hers out of a star... which really confused Carol. So she went back to ask members of her Corp about it. They were coming up with thoughts about what Kit maybe meant but one of the gals basically said that it wasn't a metaphor which prompted Carol to decide she needed to see what was on the other side of the sky. (I'm leaving stuff out, obviously.)

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, I just read Secret Wars #4.  Hoo boy, do a lot of things happen!

Thors battle Cabal. Get asses handed to them.

Strange explains how Doom create Battleworld and is now God.

Doom observes battle between Cabal and Thors with Valaria and Susan. Psychobabble between him and Valaria.

Strange teleports himself and Life Raft Heroes to the Cabal battle. Doom sees Reed is among them and is not happy. In all the domains, there are no Reed counterparts. He made sure of this.

Doom teleports to the battle, bringing it to a screeching halt.

Doom starts kicking Cabal and hero ass only to be attacked by PhoenixClops.

Scott nearly wins. Nearly. Strange stops him.

Strange teleports the Cabal and the heroes to the four corners of Battleworld. Doom is furious and.....deals with Stephen.

The issue ends with a close up of Doom's eyes...which are now blue rather than brown.

Two weeks can't come fast enough.

Leaks leaks leaks for the post SW lineup.  Spoiler alert, but I'm already very excited by a few of the titles.

Some of these look rather interesting.

- X-Boys go on roadtrip with X-23.

- Black Captain Marvel returns and joins Carol Danvers Captain Marvel on the new Ultimates (along with the new Ms. America).

- Don't know if the new A-Force title will be on Earth or Battleworld, but I know this - I hate Dazzler's punk look.

- Anyone else slightly creeped out by Teen Jean gently caressing Old Man Logan's arm like that on that one X-Men cover?

- Looooooove Scarlet Witch's new outfit.

But no Cap the Barbarian from Planet Hulk :(  And where's X-Men '92!?

Edited by bmoore4026

I'm still wondering how they're going to handle the gay Teen Iceman and maybe-gay adult Iceman. I guess them being on different teams should be interesting.

Hopeless is a good choice for for ANXM. But I think I'm mostly excited about the new New Avengers, partially because they're finally finding a use for Hulkingling and Wiccan, but mostly because Songbird is finally, FINALLY an Avenger.

And the Simpsons joke for Howard The Duck's new tagline: "Howard gets a new hat."

• Love 2

Giant Sized Little Marvel continues to delight me. It's absolutely ridiculous but that's the point. The X-Men and the Avengers having super secret tree houses right next to each other? Everything blowing up when they all start fighting?

I love it.

Secret Wars #4... look... I haven't been too big on Reed since Civil War but I'll pretty much always root for him over Doom. (To be honest, not a huge fan of Doom, either.)

• Love 1

This is in regards to the new Avengers line up coming out of Secret Wars.

It's about damn time Songbird was finally admitted to the Avengers lineup. Ever since she was shown as a future Avenger way back in Avengers Forever I have been waiting. All I can say is about damn time Marvel.

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, I guess I should talk about some of the tie-ins I've read.

A-Force continues to be enjoyable.  The mysterious star girl is sweet and She-Hulk standing up to Medusa on her behalf (the star girl can't speak) was nice, showing qualities of a good leader. 

Arcadia being some sort of nexus point is intriguing and I'm wondering if that'll tie into the main series. She-Hulk being transported to the Years of Future Past domain at the end makes me want more.

Years of Future Past continues to make me wonder what Shadowcat and Colossus have done in order to keep Chrissie safe despite circumstances.  That they, along with Rachel and Magneto, live relatively comfortably in an internment camp when other mutants there have died suggest something sinister. 

Rachel finding Storm being used as a living power source for the city deepens that suspicion.

But that all falls to the wayside when Sentinels attack

the mutant underground resistance hideout. Grown up Lockheed at the end does make me want to come back.

Couldn't really make sense of Ultimate End.

Still loving Planet Hulk, though this is mostly because of Cap the Barbarian.  I'm intrigued by where this Steve has come from, this "forgotten kingdom".

And it's taken me a while but

I'm beginning to think that The World Tree Throne that Doom sits one might be The Thing. From the Alex Ross cover, The Tree resembles The Thing's rocky hide.

Edited by bmoore4026

Interesting speculation. We've got Susan as Doom's queen, Franklin and Valeria as their children, Johnny is the sun, Reed doesn't exist in any incarnation except as The Maker and only recently the 616 version emerging from the life raft. It does beg the question of where Ben is.

• Love 1

I really wish whoever was drawing Runaways didn't make Amadeus Cho look, instead of Korean, like a really ugly version of Harry Potter.  Because most of the characters are ones I like, I'd be able to overlook the fact that the story is warmed-over Hunger Games hoo-ha, but the art is just terrible.

Spider-Island was decent, with Agent Venom leading the last resistance against the Spider-Queen, mainly helped out by Spider-Woman and Vision.  And then some new recruits that arrive in an unexpected way.  And there's a back-up Mayday Parker (now upgraded to Spider-Woman, set after the main Spider-Verse event) story written by Tom DeFalco and featuring a lot of MC2 characters that will please a lot of people.

Inferno continues to be fun, if not groundbreaking.  I was surprised to see some non-mutants living in Baron Summers' domain (with a version of Doctor Strange, which surprised me), but I'm always up for an appearance by Doctor Nemesis, even in the background.

Civil War was mostly just exposition, with the set-up of a great tragedy that happened during the final battle in the war over the SHRA.  The domain is divided between Tony's quasi-police state, The Iron, and Cap's Wild-West libertarian paradise, The Blue.  Miriam Sharpe, who you'll remember as the mother of one of the kids who died in Stamford and was the impetus behind the SHRA, lives on the divide between the two and attempts to broker a peace after years of fighting.  As you might imagine, things go sideways.  I loved the original story irrationally, and so I've got hopes for this one, but I didn't really care for the art.

Spider-Verse continues to be a highlight for me.  It's got moments that are both funny--Gwen is horrified to see Spider-Ham eating a barbecued pork sandwich--and dark--Gwen visits her own grave over a caption "This is my home.  This is where my life is."  It's really true Spider story.  And then two surprises 

Baron Osborne is actually not a bad guy, and hopes to use the six Spiders to reconstitute the fragmented Web of Life

which again make me think this might play into the bigger story, and the appearance of 

the one and only Peter Parker

really makes me look forward to the rest of the ride.

(edited)

Yeah, just read Civil War myself:

Motherfuckers BLEW UP ST. LOUIS! I, MY IMMEDIATE AND EXTENDED FAMILY, AND CRAP LOADS OF AQUINTENCES LIVE IN THIS REGION! Couldn't have blown up Kansas City, could you?

Also, finished reading Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows.  Still liking it and I'm dying to know how Peter's going to get him and his family out their current predicament. 

And Regent is a total bastard for using super-villains as his personal army, along with targeting poor D-Man and Power Pack.

1872 wasn't bad.  The fact that Roxxon is the primary (though unseen) bad guy is a nice touch, as that company was a major antagonist for Marvel superheroes throughout the 1970s (starting in 1972, I believe).  Also, it's nice to see a Steve and a Tony that get sort-of along.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 1

Thumbed through Ghost Racers. I think Zero Cochrane was part of the antagonistic Racers that popped up on the last page, which basically kills my interest in the book. I know . . . Zero didn't actually host a Spirit of Vengeance, unlike the others (Danny, Johnny, Alejandra, Robbie), but I would've wanted to see him tear up the track.

(edited)

X-Men '92's latest highlights the absolute worst about Gambit from the animated series. You know, where he always refers to himself in the third person and doesn't seem to know the pronouns 'I' or 'me.' I was a big X-Men fan-ficcer back in those days and that particular quirk invaded about 90% of the Gambit/Rogue fics out there (most of which were pretty much dreck as well -- they were very popular and a lot of people wrote stories about them... very bad stories...)

I mean, he leaves a note for Belladonna in a flashback that reads 'It not you. It Gambit.' So, you know, he's basically Tarzan at this point. So frustrating... I love Gambit. Chris Sims does NOT and he's made no attempt to hide that. Of course, he also hates Cyclops. It really makes me wonder why he took this gig at all.

Age of Apocalypse also started this week and it seems focused on Doug's Cypher. They kill off a decent amount of characters in the first few pages and then start comparing Scott and Alex (Scott is weary of Apocalypse's world/Alex revels in it.) Cypher seems able to read and understand more than just different languages. He gets body language and tone and he's consistently narrating that the various characters are confused or afraid or both... He can 'read between the lines' and it appears that a version of the Legacy Virus is going to rear it's head in this particular book.

Edited by Dandesun
(edited)

Age of Apocalypse also started this week and it seems focused on Doug's Cypher. They kill off a decent amount of characters in the first few pages and then start comparing Scott and Alex (Scott is weary of Apocalypse's world/Alex revels in it.) Cypher seems able to read and understand more than just different languages. He gets body language and tone and he's consistently narrating that the various characters are confused or afraid or both... He can 'read between the lines' and it appears that a version of the Legacy Virus is going to rear it's head in this particular book.

Surprised they killed off Nightcrawler so quickly.  Also, there appears to be no Generation Next as we can see Husk is with her brothers and sisters on the side of Apocalypse.  And, also, Emma Frost is a member of Magneto's X-Men rather than a member of The Human High Council.  I also thought it weird, at first, that the Savage Land was part of this domain since that place is in Antarctica.  Then I check the Battleworld map again and saw just how vast The Domain of Apocalypse was (and how damn small Westchester is).

Read Spider-Island.  Contrary to what the cover shows, Spider-Man only appears in a flashback and Mary Jane (in lacy stockings and underthings) doesn't appear at all.  Mostly the story focuses on Jessica Drew, Vision, and Flash Thompson/Venom battling the mutated spider-people and heroes.  They're able to convert three.....

by turning them into monsters - a werewolf, a vampire, and The Lizard. Those who are monsters are immune to The Spider-Queen's powers.  And then other spiderfied heroes show up.

I think I'll continue reading this one.

Still need to read Inferno and 2099.

Edited by bmoore4026

Well, I tried reading 2099.  What is with the people currently at Marvel and their infatuation with The Defenders?  Annoying as hell.

Inferno was better.  So much love for snarky Madelyne.  Also, awesome two-page spread of Scott's X-Men fighting Illyana's demons.  Ends on a cliffhanger and we learn where Boom-Boom was taken to:

Mr. Sinister, who has converted the Morlock Tunnels into a massive cloning lab.

.  Hyped for part four!

Armor Wars.  I really wish I could figure out why I was still reading this.  With its creative team, it should be doing better than a meh, but that's all I can give it.  The finale will probably include giant robots, so there's that.

Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders.  Everyone in Yinsen City (even Jennifer Walters, their resident Thor, who wields not a hammer but a gavel) has strong memories of life before Battleworld and is three steps away from speaking heresy.  When Captain Britain (Faiza Hussain, who received Excalibre from Brian before the end) appears out of nowhere announcing that she's from Great Britain and that Battleworld is a lie, all hell breaks loose.  Also features Yinsen City's enemy, Mondo City, a realm of absolute authority under the Punisher code, with enforcers including Emma Frost, Luke Cage, War Machine and (in a nice touch) a character called All-American, who is from New Universe.  This is a keeper.

Guardians of Knowhere.  I think I'm going to like this one, but the fact that there are several wordless pages that are just Drax and Angela fighting each other doesn't make this one quite hit 100%.  Gamora is following a similar line as Captain Britain, except her doubt is in the existence of Doom.  Rocket is awesome, not matter where he is.

Inhumans: Attilan Rising.  Things go from bad to worse for the Resistance.  I'm going to assume that the payoff to this is Medusa coming around to the side of the angels, but if it isn't, I'm going to be disappointed.

Siege.  Now, with the exception of the art, this hit all the right notes for me.  Abigail Brand has assumed command of The Shield from an MIA Nick Fury, holding the line against the Ultrons, zombies, and Annihilation Wave.  Her troops include Kate Bishop of 1602, Ms America serving her sentence (those two are going to be fun together), a version of Scott Summers (who may be Cyclops crossed with Multiple Man, I'm not quite sure), and, at long last, the Ever-Lovin' Thing.  Kang arrives as a new recruit, full of bravado, until the appearance of another Kang, this one from the future, warning Brand that in 20 days, The Shield will fall.  If this is Kieron Gillen's Marvel swan song, it's a great note to go out on.

• Love 2

Huge revelations in Years of Future Past:

Christina and Cameron are siblings! Cameron was just an infant when Kate was captured and Christina had to be born in secret when the Mutant Sterilization Act was enacted.

Lockheed dies fighting the Sentinels while the others evacuate the mutant sanctuary.

Kate takes her children to see Nightcrawler, who is still alive and a priest. So this Days of Future Past world isn't the same one Chris Claremont created.

Nightcrawler explains that the he's been surveying the nearby mutant internment camp for years but cannot break through their defenses to mount an escape.

Cameron and Christina, however, are able to get through the defenses and tear down the entrance. But Nightcrawler learns too late that it's a trap: the camp is home to the rest of the Brotherhood of Mutants. The issue closes with the Brotherhood standing with the human guards and Destiny saying, "Who said we needed rescuing"? THE BROTHERHOOD SOLD OUT MUTANTKIND! THE BROTHERHOOD SOLD OUT MUTNANTKIND!

Siege, as starri said, is an awesome read despite the art.  The fact that the issue ends with the ominous white page like the main series, counting day the days until The Shield fails, makes me wonder if this mini-series will have a bigger impact on the main one.  The two page spread of what happened the last time The Shield failed, thirty years prior, is awe-inspiring.  Though, I thought Battleworld was eight years old.  Or was it just eight years since Doom brought light to Battleworld? 

We also find out where Ben Grimm has been.

We get a little insight to where the Captain America of Planet Hulk is from:

The fact that he and Bucky are fighting Holocaust, one of the Horsemen of Apocalypse, it's heavily implied that "the lost kingdom" spoken of last issue is now The Domain of Apocalypse.

And, in true Conan the Barbarian fashion, macho Steve is injured and captured by Hulks and brought to the hostile kingdom of The Red King, do doubt, in manly, manly bondage.  (I'm lonely, OK).

Still loving Carol Corps and that Carol sticks to being a true superhero despite what the evil Baroness orders her to do. 

She rescues the captain of the ship that was destroyed last issue: James Rhodes. From him, she learns that the ship was filled with innocent civilians trying to escape from Limbo and the Inferno.

Carol and her team resolve to find out the truth.  The Baroness, however, is one step ahead of them:

A modified jetfighter the team has been working on blows up with one of Carol's women in it. That's how the issue ends.

Much like Siege, Korvac Saga has an interesting story but poor art.  Anyway, Carrina succumbs to the madness epidemic and becomes a Mindless One, forcing the Original Guardians and the late 70s Avengers to fight her.   

Captain Mar-Vell blasts through the monster and it reverts back to Carrina, dead.

Things become heated between Wonder Wan and Korvac with the former claiming the latter as being unfit to rule over Park Hills.  Moondragon uses her powers to send Starhawk into the Astral Plane in order to the source of the madness epidemic.  There, Starhawk find a man composed entirely of stars. 

The issue ends with Starhawk getting killed by said man.

Well, I'm hyped!

Oh, and I should mention that Silver Surfer #13 ties into the series, also, as he and his Earthling companion witness the destruction of the Marvel Universe up-close and personal and, in a freaky scene, encounter the new DoomEternity.

Well, so far I've been reading the latest tie-ins that came out this week, sparse as they were.  E for Extinction wasn't bad and the ending makes me excited for more.  Weirdworld was entertaining, I thought.  Skipping Future Imperfect because I couldn't give two shits about The Hulk universe.  Marvel Zombies makes me eager to find out more about Elsa Bloodstone's past.

But the one I really wanted to talk about was Star-Lord and Kitty Pryde!  Such good writing!  Such good artwork!

Oh, my God, was this title fun!  The 616 Star Lord as a lounge singer with X-Factor as his band and specializing in Disney songs because Disney doesn't exist on Battleworld.  (Too much completion, Doom?)  How can you not love that?

Also, we see Drax with a big pompadour!  Big ass pompadour!  I love it! 

Star Lord later remembers his Kitty Pryde.  I love that their special song is "Once Upon a Dream" from Disney's Sleeping Beauty.  What I wouldn't give to see the both of them reenact the first meeting dance from that movie!  Get on it, Disney!

I can't wait for the next issue when Star Lord gets to know the Kitty Pryde he's just met (the Age of Apocalypse one) a bit better and his reactions to her rather sour attitude.

(Also, AoA Kitty's dress was out of this world!)

• Love 1

Star Lord and Kitty Pryde was pretty fantastic.  For the New Attilan Drax's pompadour alone.

I don't know, it's probably not fair.  Kitty is, depending on the day, my favorite Marvel character, so I'm naturally predisposed to love anything she's in, even if it's not the 616 or 1610 version.

And Quill is all about sarcasm masking pathos, so the few panels where he recapped the death of the multiverse was a lot more personal and affecting than it's been portrayed up to this point.  

I guess I could see this turning into Moonlighting, where two characters that hate each other (well, at least Kitty does) fall in love despite everything.  I'm hoping that's not the case.

If Disney doesn't exist on Battleworld, is the same true of Star Wars?  Or could we see the mother of all crossovers?

• Love 1

If Disney doesn't exist on Battleworld, is the same true of Star Wars?  Or could we see the mother of all crossovers?

One can only hope and pray and dream.  GET ON THIS, DISNEY!  Either a comic series or a video game series like Super Robot Wars.

Finally got around to reading this week's tie-ins.

Marvel Zomibes vs Age of Ultron wasn't too bad, I guess.  We learn more about Jim Hammond, Wonder Man, and Vison

and how Utron built his army based on them and how the three of them constructed a domed town beyond The Shield and is home to refuges from all over Battleworld. At the end, Ultron makes an alliance with Zombie Magneto. So, not a whole lot in the "vs" area.

1602 - Witch Hunter Angela was nice.  We meet the 1602 version of the Guardians of the Galaxy (called The Gardiner's Men and are travelling bards/adventurers and I so wish someone could make a version of "Come and get your love" in the style of the early 17th century) and a battle with the 1602 version of Venom.  Plus, Angela's companion Serah recounts to an inn on how they both met.  I rather enjoy this series.  Reminds me of the old anime Slayers.

Paper version of X-Men '92 came out.  Again, loving this series and it had better continue after Secret Wars.  Cassandra Nova is a great villain and her origin is perfect without being too messy. 

I'm eager to find out what'll happen when all the mutants gathered at Clear Mountain break out of Cassandra's mind control/conditioning.  Also, Sabretooth hugging Wolverine is one of the best things in comics ever.

This coming week, we get more Age of Apocalypse, Renew Your Vows, Civil War, Giant Size Little Marvel: AvX, Future Imperfect, Guardians of Knowhere, Infinity Gauntlet, Red Skull, Siege, Spider-Island, and Ultimate End.  Can't wait!

She's an actual kitty, then?

Yes.  Many of them, in fact.

I might as well talk about the comics I've read from last week.  I've been meaning to do so but keep putting it off.

Seige first.  I'm liking the plot though the artwork is all over the place and wish they didn't jump forward so fast (We go from twenty days 'til The Shield fall to five days.  The hell!?).  Wish we got to see more of Lady Catherine and Miss America.  We also find out that Ben Grimm is part (or the entirety) of The Shield.  We find out that Bar Sinister domain's Cyclops (or one of them; Bar Sinister is nothing but clones) is part of Commander Brand's troops along with The Shadow Cats (don't know which domain she/they are from).

We get some flashbacks, like The Shield's Lady Loki being lovers with a version of Magik who was lost in the Wastelands, and Abigail Brand being Nick Fury's protégé, who tells her the hard truth that everyone on The Shield will die there one day.  The issue ends with The Shield forces preparing for an attack from Perfection (Ultron's forces and the ones closest to destroying The Shield and all of Battleworld) in the form of

a converted Nick Fury, now simply The Fury, who announces that he kills superheroes. Abigail is in shock.

Infinity Gauntlet involved time travel, so confusion everywhere.  We do get to see Drax in his pre-Guardian of the Galaxy get-up (admittedly, he looks better in his new design) and a version of Gamora, Star Lord, and Groot, who join up with The Nova Family and Thanos.  Thanos also has a heart-to-heart with Anwen

in which he tells her that family is weakness. This ain't gonna end well.

Ultimate End is basically a big hero throw down with Ultimate Punisher planning to kill everyone but Miles Morales is on the way to save the day.  Did I mention that I can't freaking stand Brian Michael Bendis?  One of the worst thing to happen to comics is him! 

Amazing Spider-Man: Renew you vows - was actually pretty intense.  Peter does his damndest in getting a power cloaking thingamajig for his daughter, Regent plans on capturing Spider-Man to finish his superpower collection, while Hawkeye's SHIELD plots on getting Spider-Man on their side (even though Hawkeye hates Spidey for getting most of the superheroes killed).  Tense situation occurs when Regent orders all children of the school Annie goes to to be scanned for superpowers.  Mary Jane and Peter go with Annie (now equipped with power scanner masking bracelet)

and pass through without incident, only for the family behind them to trigger the scanner alarm. Hell breaks loose, The Sinister Six attack. Spider-Man battles them while Mary Jane and Annie try to get away, only for them to get nabbed by two of Hawkeye's people. The last page is of Spider-Man crying out to his wife and daughter as The Sinister Six overwhelms him. Told you it was intense! Also, it shows you can do stories about Peter being a husband and father and do them well. Mary Jane is/was/should always be Peter's touchstone. Little Annie gives added responsibility. One of the best things about this series is Aunt May is dead. The 1000 year old lady is gone! Yay! She can't be the only one Peter should worry about, he should have someone even closer to love and protect! A pox on Quesada!

There, I got that out of my system.

Civil War involves intrigue and Peter Parker being pissed at Steve for being unable to see his wife and daughter (don't know if this one is named Annie or May Day or what), and Tony and She-Hulk learning that someone might be manipulating events behind this whole thing, and both he and Steve send strike teams into each others respective sides to find out more, only for both to run into problems.  I'm liking this series.  Never thought I'd say that considering that I haaaaaaaate Marvel's Civil War.

Giant Size Little Marvel - AvX was cute and funny.  Wouldn't mind if this series continued.

Age of Apocalypse had things happened.  That's all I remember.  Spider-Island was similar, but this one had quite the surprise at the end:

Peter Parker, thought dead, is still alive - kept in stasis beneath Spider Queen's headquarters. Oh, and Agent Venom is able to turn Tony Stark into a Groovy Ghouly (as I'm calling the resistance team), albeit as the new Green Goblin. He seems perfectly stable, though.

I'm hyped for the next part!

Red Skull featured Magneto being captured by and then reluctantly joining the title character; the other with Magneto are killed by Marvel Zombies.  The two meet with Annihillus, where Magneto's inhibitor collar is removed and he regains his full power.  He asks where the weakness is in The Shield while Red Skull gloats that Battleworld will soon be his.  OK, I have to admit, though I don't like the art, the story is intriguing.  I am wondering if this series will affect the main one at all.

Couldn't get into Guardians of Knowhere.

Anyway, this coming Wednesday will feature the main series (finally) along with Years of Futures Past (yay), Star Lord and Kitty Pryde (yay), Secret Wars: Battleworld (probably read), Secret Wars 2099 (probably read), Planet Hulk (yay), Mrs. Deadpool and The Howling Commandos (not reading), Master of Kung Fu (not reading), Korvac Saga (yay), Inhumans: Attilan Rising (yay), Ghost Racers (not reading), and A-Force (yay).  Looking forward to it!

Edited by bmoore4026

Okay, so how and when does Kitty become a feline?

It's a Kitty Pryde from a different world.  There are many Kitty Prydes in the domains of Battleworld.  Don't know which one the Kitty Pryde from Siege is from.

Maybe she's from Bar Sinister as well.  It would go with the multiple clones of Cyclops that are on The Shield.

Funny enough, I was thinking the same thing - Mr. Sinister captured The X-Men and other mutants, screwed up their DNA, cloned them, and now uses them as his personal army, though some still have free will and are able to resist.  God, I wish we had a tie in detailing the Bar Sinister domain.  And Egyptia.  That's another domain that's been screwed over.

Kieron Gillan was the one who really did the Bar Sinister stuff during his Uncanny X-Men run and really reestablished him as a great enemy of Cyclops once again.  I really wish we could have seen a continuation of that but unfortunately Bendis took over the X-titles and drove them into the ground.

Secret Wars #5.  This was very heavy into exposition, with the reader finally finding out exactly how Doom and Strange cobbled together Battleworld.  It's not quite what we might have thought.  Also, Doom tasks Valeria and the rest of the Future Foundation to track down the survivors of the life rafts and bring them to justice.  We see briefly where some of them ended up.  Thor is hiding in the place she's least likely to be notice.  Thanos is in the worst possible place for him to have ended up.  I'm assuming this was just a necessary issue before we start moving towards a finale.

Inhumans: Attilan Rising.  Do not fuck with Queen Medusa.  And yes, this is moving her more towards the side of the angels.  Also, we're teased with 

Thors vs Lockjaw

which means our lives can only get better.

A-Force.  She-Hulk fights Gamora-Thor in some green on green violence.  More excellent Medusa action, although this doesn't end as well.

Star-Lord and Kitty Pryde.  This issue would be aces for the fabulous pop-art cover alone.  The Tracy-and-Hepburn pairing of 616-Quill and AoA-Kitty continues apace.  He can't quit her, and she can't help liking him.  Robotic New Mutants (which Kitty dispatches with horrible aplomb), a backstory on why Kitty is in Doom's employee, and a peek into Gambit the Collector's base of operations at Manhattan's famed Doomenheim museum.  There's a lot to love here.

Secret Wars confused me so damn much. Oh,

and Molecule Man is alive. And is the only thing keeping Battleworld together.

The Future Foundation talks about how everything is made of God Particles/Doom Energy and how Dr. Strange had none of that.  I think.  Like I said, this issue was confusing.  The bit with Thanos was interesting.  Have to wait 'til damn September for issue 6.

We do find out were some of the people got scattered:

Namor and Black Panther - Egyptia

Lady Thor - Doomgard

Captain Marvel - Bar Sinister (hopefully we'll get to know more about this domain)

Black Swan - Doomstadt (and close to Castle Doom)

Thanos - (outside The Shield, on the side of Wasteland side)

Also read Secret Wars - Battleworld.  Special Silver Surfer issue!  We get a story about the Silver Surfer of Egyptia (and was kind of gross) and the Silver Surfer of 2099 fighting The Maestro for his board.  So yeah, that's the last issue of that series.  Nothing special.

The story of Years of Future Past was gripping.  The X-Men freed the mutant prisoners.  Yay!  Oh, but it turns out

Chrissie and Cameron are supposed to die to spur a mutant revolution or something. Kate and Wolverine had no idea but Magneto makes short work of them. They don't die, he just incapacitates them. Magneto is about to kill Chrissie but Cameron gets the jump on Magneto and kills him.

Cameron thinks it's better for Senator Kelly to die and for humans to wipe out mutants once and for all. Chrissie vehemently disagrees. The issue ends with the two of them about to go toe to toe. Gah! And next issue is the last issue!

I can't love Star Lord and Kitty Pryde enough.  So wish we could have a movie starring them and involving some Moonlighting-esque bickering.  Goddamn movie rights fucked shit up FOR EVERYBODY!!!!  Anyway, we find out what was in the bag of Gambit's from last issue:

Widget - the Days of Future Past's Kate Pryde in a little robot head. This was the anomaly Kitty was after. But both she and Star Lord get captured by Gambit, who is apparently evil in this version of Manhattan.

Inhumans: Attilan Rising was pretty good and I do want to see how all this is going to end for Black Bolt and Medusa.

Still got more to read.  Be back later.

Edited by bmoore4026

I'm totally digging Gambit as the Collector in Star Lord and Kitty Pryde. Plus, against all odds, I was pretty much charmed by Quill and Kitty from jump. Maybe it's not that against the odds... I adore Kitty so I usually try to get on board with whomever she takes an interest in. (However, the Piotr/Kitty thing is beyond played out in 616 and I don't think they gave Kitty and Bobby a chance. That could have actually worked, I think.)

I love Peter's inner monologues about Battleworld AOA Kitty is so much like his Kitty -- determined, smart, beautiful -- but also very different with the claws and the scaring the crap out of him a bit.

Now I need to check out Secret Wars: Secret Love because I just saw a preview page of Squirrel Girl winning a date with Thor and they go to Asgard where there are couples galore hidden in the crowd scene like Storm/Wolverine, Kate Bishop and America Chavez, Medusa/Black Bolt (happy for a change), Magneto/Erik, Psylocke/Angel, Earth 3490 Steve Rogers/Natasha Stark. AND MORE!

Just read A-Force......

Medusa :(

.  Seeing the ladies of A-Force mobilizing was awesome.  They're ready to kick ass and take names in order to protect their beloved She-Hulk.  Also

seeing Singularity offering to comfort Nico after happened to Medusa was very touching. As for the traitor in their midst, it has to be Loki. Has to be. She's the only one with the power to pull off the things that have happened since issue one and the only one to be significantly featured. Sure as hell couldn't be Scarlet Witch.

Read Planet Hulk, too.  The Red King went and did the worst thing he could do to Gladiator America and he will pay for it.  Can't wait!

Just Secret Wars 2099 left to read.

Edited by bmoore4026

Just read A-Force......

Medusa :(

.  Seeing the ladies of A-Force mobilizing was awesome.  They're ready to kick ass and take names in order to protect their beloved She-Hulk.  Also

seeing Singularity offering to comfort Nico after happened to Medusa was very touching. As for the traitor in their midst, it has to be Loki. Has to be. She's the only one with the power to pull off the things that have happened since issue one and the only one to be significantly featured. Sure as hell couldn't be Scarlet Witch.

Read Planet Hulk, too.  The Red King went and did the worst thing he could do to Gladiator America and he will pay for it.  Can't wait!

Just Secret Wars 2099 left to read.

I'm not convinced it's

Loki. Seems a little too obvious. Loki is always betraying people, it would be interesting to have a loyal Loki for once. That said, it's probably Loki.

• Love 1

You know, you'd think Inferno couldn't find a way to out-snark Maddy Pryor.  You'd be wrong.  I was thinking this had probably peaked, but no, we get a delight twist on 

Mr. Sinister

• Love 1

Yeah, Sinister is like everyone's sassy gay friend... who is evil. (Come on, with a name like Sinister, that's not a surprise.)

I will say that Inferno seems to be the sassiest of the Battleworlds. I'm not reading them all so I can't say for certain but it seems to be.

Also, I have to say I kind of appreciated Scott losing his temper at Colossus at last. Piotr's obsession with his sister has caused more than a few problems over the years.

Inferno has been delightful and deranged fun.  I really enjoyed the last issue.  Agreed about Scott losing his temper...he's become deranged himself and I can't say that a lot of it isn't justified. 

X-Tinction Agenda lost me after a strong start but there's one issue left so I'll finish it. 

I've been meaning to give my little reviews for the previous week's comics, but I just don't feel up to it.

I did like Inferno and I so want Succubus Boom-Boom to stick around after Secret Wars.  Just the thought of a demoness who can create energy time bombs sounds neat.  Also, it was satisfying to see Cyclops blast the shit out of Colossus after years and years of allowing him to pursue a pipe dream. 

Read Renew Your Vows.   Basically, it was a set up for the last issue:

Peter is captured by Regent, who has his eye on taking on Dr. Doom, and Mary Jane and Annie end up in SHIELD. One of the SHIELD operatives is The Spot, who can create teleporting portals, though it's taken a hard toll on his body.  Sandman was also captured and tortured by Regent, but uses the last of his powers to get a message, using his own sand, across a portal (I forget how Regent got his hand on a portal) telling SHIELD where Regent is. Annie and Mary Jane jump into the SHIELD side of the portal, ready to fight Regent and save Spider-Man. Also, there's a huge battle with the Sinister Six again.

Spider-Verse had a big throw down fight between Spider-Gwen and Venom, who takes a powerless Peter Parker hostage.  Also, Spider-Girl and Spider-Ham bond over a buffet.  Some fun, this issue.

1872 featured the death of

Sheriff Steve

.  This prompts someone close to him to take action....next issue.  I'm still liking this series and can't wait for more.

House of M was enjoyable.  Seeing the dysfunctional Royal Family of Magneto was enjoyable and I am intrigued  

by Pietro and Namor's own little intrigue against Magneto. I think I'll continue with this series.

Well, I guess I do feel up to reviewing last week's issues.  More to follow!

Edited by bmoore4026