Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

William Harper & Stacey McKee upgraded an two years deals with ABC as head writers for Greys. So this gives me an idea that whatever cast members were on queue to renew would have done it by now. Justin Chambers and Kevin Mckidd have low key confirmed theirs too.

I'm just curious if this is the last leg of Greys, why are they signing two years deal that will take them to season 14 instead of 3 that will take them to season 15, where I believe Shonda would like to end it (breaking ER's record and becoming longest running medical drama)

I don't see Shonda going till season 14 and not going for season 15.

The only reason I can think that these two years deals are being signed is that Greys will go beyond 15 and the writers and actors want to stay open to up their price/deal with every next negotiation.... Thoughts?

ER went 15 seasons, so Shonda would have to go to season 16 to break their record. And ER is far and away it's own beast of a medical show, with it's 23 Emmy wins compared to Grey's Anatomy's 5.  

And can someone point me to where Shonda said that she wants to surpass ER? I keep seeing people mention it but I can not for the life of me recall Shonda ever specifically saying that. 

ER was iconic. There was never a dull moment on that show imho. I have read it many times that Shonda has said that she would like for Greys to break the longest running medical show record. Tried looking for few articles but I believe it's dated way back so I couldn't find exact word to word article but I did found some that resonate the same.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/greys-anatomy-season10-1069936

http://www.wetpaint.com/greys-anatomy-end-date-1469173

Interestingly, the longest running show isn't even ER, it's Casualty.

What about General Hospital, that show is still on if I know correctly?

While searching through I did found few statements from Paul Lee saying the same about Greys, he even said it during last TCAs when he was still ABC's president.

Also this tweet convo https://twitter.com/natalieabrams/status/598162352240988160

Shonda was on GMA recently and she said that there still isn't a end in sight for Greys.

• Love 2

Thanks for sharing the links. 

But the ER quote was from Patrick Dempsey, not Shonda, and it wasn't even about Shonda wanting to beat ER but rather that ER was able to go on long after most of the original cast left. 
"You look at ER and it went on for 15 years and a lot of the original cast was gone from there. Because it's such a procedural, I think it will continue to go on."

Thanks for sharing the links.

But the ER quote was from Patrick Dempsey, not Shonda, and it wasn't even about Shonda wanting to beat ER but rather that ER was able to go on long after most of the original cast left.

"You look at ER and it went on for 15 years and a lot of the original cast was gone from there. Because it's such a procedural, I think it will continue to go on."

I know it's from Pdemps. I was just referring that, that's the general idea the cast have. And I believe it's what Shonda has told them.

And can someone point me to where Shonda said that she wants to surpass ER? I keep seeing people mention it but I can not for the life of me recall Shonda ever specifically saying that.

I'm someone who mentioned it and it was pure speculation on my part, not anything Shonda specifically said. Since Grey's in is season 12 (and there's no end in sight) I think its possible they would think of Grey's having the distinction of the longest running medical show on US television. ER did 331 episodes. Since Grey's has done more episodes per season it may not need a full 15.

This quote makes me laugh. ER had more in depth character story by a long shot; its not even close. If you were to compare the story given to each original character over their run on each show its glaring how thin most of the Grey's characters are written IMO.  I've watched both shows through their whole runs (so far for GA obviously) and each have their own style and reasons to enjoy. I'll just never get "oh ER is a procedural".

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1

Grey's will be at 338 episodes at the end of it's 15th season, should each season continue to have 24 episodes...

Shonda DID once flat out say she wanted to beat ER. I'm having a hard time finding it now but I will continue looking.

• Love 1

Grey's will be at 338 episodes at the end of it's 15th season, should each season continue to have 24 episodes...

Shonda DID once flat out say she wanted to beat ER. I'm having a hard time finding it now but I will continue looking.

Thanks. I didn't remember her ever saying it. Now I really think GA will be on through at least season 15.

ER was iconic. There was never a dull moment on that show imho. I have read it many times that Shonda has said that she would like for Greys to break the longest running medical show record. Tried looking for few articles but I believe it's dated way back so I couldn't find exact word to word article but I did found some that resonate the same.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/greys-anatomy-season10-1069936

http://www.wetpaint.com/greys-anatomy-end-date-1469173

Interestingly, the longest running show isn't even ER, it's Casualty.

What about General Hospital, that show is still on if I know correctly?

While searching through I did found few statements from Paul Lee saying the same about Greys, he even said it during last TCAs when he was still ABC's president.

Also this tweet convo https://twitter.com/natalieabrams/status/598162352240988160

Shonda was on GMA recently and she said that there still isn't a end in sight for Greys.

GH is still on the air. (Somehow.) (I say that as a 35 year fan.) They will hit 53 years in April and tomorrow's episode is number 13,518. Daytime soaps are a whole other animal.

As far as primetime goes, I absolutely agree that Shonda et al hope to go at least as long as ER did.

Do any Greys experts remember whether Derek has a step-brother???

I saw some people speculating elsewhere about this.

I have read speculations that Riggs might be Derek´s step brother????  Did his father cheat on his wife at some point in time and did he have another son????

Edited by NathanRiggsfan

Do any Greys experts remember whether Derek has a step-brother???

I saw some people speculating elsewhere about this.

I have read speculations that Riggs might be Derek´s step brother????  Did his father cheat on his wife at some point in time and did he have another son????

I have ever heard Derek mention a brother of any kind.  In fact, I think he says once or twice that Mark Sloan was like the brother he never had.  

William Harper & Stacey McKee upgraded an two years deals with ABC as head writers for Greys. So this gives me an idea that whatever cast members were on queue to renew would have done it by now. Justin Chambers and Kevin Mckidd have low key confirmed theirs too.

I'm just curious if this is the last leg of Greys, why are they signing two years deal that will take them to season 14 instead of 3 that will take them to season 15, where I believe Shonda would like to end it (breaking ER's record and becoming longest running medical drama)

I don't see Shonda going till season 14 and not going for season 15.

The only reason I can think that these two years deals are being signed is that Greys will go beyond 15 and the writers and actors want to stay open to up their price/deal with every next negotiation.... Thoughts?

While I'm sure Shonda and co would love to go on to either 15 or 16 seasons, I am betting the actors will just sign two year contracts for now (it doesn't mean they/the show won't continue after those two years though).   My guess is that they gave Jcap a three year deal (starting with this season) so that she will be on the same contract cycle as the originals, Sara, Kevin and whoever else is up this year.  

Edited by Greysaddict

I keep thinking what other layers of Owen-Nathan-Megan story is there as 1212 Nathan´s reveal is not all out there as Henderson said - it would get juicier, the plot thickens.

"The full backstory, which Henderson believes will leave fans divided, even took the actor by surprise. “I kind of knew that’s what it was. Shonda Rhimes had pulled me aside earlier,” he explained. “But then there’s another little twist that I found out that I didn’t know. I was shocked…It’s going to be a fun journey with the audience.” source: Eonline

We have heard what Nathan said- Megan had  a patient,went with him into the chopper, Nathan tried to persuade her,but respected her wish,let her go, helicopter vanished.

What else is there?I have no clue. What other layers can be peeled off? Nathan must have loved Megan. He wanted to fly instead of  her, I do not see what else is there as a story to tell,only Hunt´s irrational hatred must disappear.

One thing is that the Colonel from 1213 who welcomed the dream team is back in 1217,but no Thorpe anymore. Could he be tied to Owen-Nathan story?

Edited by NathanRiggsfan

What else is there?I have no clue. What other layers can be peeled off? Nathan must have loved Megan. He wanted to fly instead of  her, I do not see what else is there as a story to tell,only Hunt´s irrational hatred must disappear.

That the patient was fine and he hijacked the helicopter. I find it funny that something like this the helicopter just: "disappeared" and Hunt's hatred is because he had to blame Nathan for his sister getting on the helicopter instead of him. Because at this point everything with this story is so stupid. What are they going to find out? She was in a POW camp all this time that was just found?

• Love 1

That the patient was fine and he hijacked the helicopter. I find it funny that something like this the helicopter just: "disappeared" and Hunt's hatred is because he had to blame Nathan for his sister getting on the helicopter instead of him. Because at this point everything with this story is so stupid. What are they going to find out? She was in a POW camp all this time that was just found?

Sorry,but I do not quite get what you mean.

So Riggs hijacked the helicopter with Megan in it,and there was a patient in who was fine. They crashed,but only Nathan survived. Is it what you mean?

Or the helicopter Megan got in was hijacked before by Riggs? But why would he hijack it?

What is a POW camp?

Edited by NathanRiggsfan

Sorry,but I do not quite get what you mean.

So Riggs hijacked the helicopter with Megan in it,and there was a patient in who was fine. They crashed,but only Nathan survived. Is it what you mean?

What is a POW camp?

Prisoner of War. 

Prisoner of War. 

So you think Megan might be held there?

I find your theory intriguing.

Do you think that at first Nathan hijacked the plane - what was the reason???

- Megan had a patient in there, then what???

What Nathan told Meredith: All right, Meg and I were working in a field unit. We needed to transport a patient. There was only room on the chopper for one of us. It was gonna be an ugly ride, unprotected airspace. So I said I was gonna go. Meg said it was her patient.  I told her no. And we fought, and finally...  I mean, it was her patient. I would have done the same thing if it was mine.  So I couldn't tell her no. And the helicopter...   never got there. No one knows what happened. Just... disappeared.  No trace. 

Edited by NathanRiggsfan

So you think Megan might be held there?

I find your theory intriguing.

Do you think that at first Nathan hijacked the plane - what was the reason???

- Megan had a patient in there, then what???

I really can't think on the full idea, but it would be the only thing that would work for a twist and then have it where Megan just magically reappears and the entire talk about: "Megan might not be dead." Works better than an entire amnesia or that Riggs had something else going on and it all backfired and Owen knows it was something more and his excuse of: "I have to blame someone" is just a red herring because he never had evidence. Yet everyone figures: "Well, Owen gets pissed at things for stupid reasons, so this is just another one." 

• Love 1

I really can't think on the full idea, but it would be the only thing that would work for a twist and then have it where Megan just magically reappears and the entire talk about: "Megan might not be dead." Works better than an entire amnesia or that Riggs had something else going on and it all backfired and Owen knows it was something more and his excuse of: "I have to blame someone" is just a red herring because he never had evidence. Yet everyone figures: "Well, Owen gets pissed at things for stupid reasons, so this is just another one." 

So Megan might be held at POW camp.

But do both Riggs and Owen know it or just one of them???

Sorry to bother you, but I am interested in what you predict. This whole plot is really a kind of mystery of puzzles. 

I wonder if Owen was right there with them and his  506 speech ties to this: "This last tour, I was on a forward surgical team. We, uh... treated combat casualties in the field. You're mostly just looking to do damage control-- Sedate 'em, ventilate 'em, Airlift 'em to baghdad, then get outta there. Only this one time, we didn't get out fast enough  Because we ended up in the middle of an r.P.G. Ambush. There were 20 people in my unit, including me, and 19 died. And then I got discharged.

But if Megan was the one who was on the chopper to airlift the patient to Baghdad and Owen and Nathan stayed in the field, it would mean that even Nathan would have died,if only Owen survived the ambush.

Edited by NathanRiggsfan

A bit late on this convo but I think to compare ER to Grey's in terms of longevity and awards is sort of unfair. Back then, it was a lot easier for shows on broadcast to win Emmys. Grey's started just before the Emmy's began shunning series' on broadcast in favour of cable and, now, streaming. There was not a single nomination for a broadcast series in the Outstanding Drama category this year (or the year before, or the year before, or the year before...) This year also had no actors from Broadcast in the Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama category. Outstanding Lead Actress had 2 out of 6 actresses from broadcast shows. 

In 2009, the year that ER had it's final Emmy nominations (2 - for outstanding Guest Actor and Outstanding Direction) there were 2 Broadcast series nominated for Best Drama, 2 actors in the Best Actor race, and 3 in the Best Actress race. In 1997, the year they had their most Emmy nominations, all 5 Best Drama nominees were on Broadcast, as were every nominated actor and actress. 

I'm not saying this to put down ER or say they didn't deserve those awards, or even to say that Grey's deserves more, but simply to say that times have changed drastically, and was a LOT easier for a show on Broadcast to gain nominations than it is now. There's an insane amount of television being produced these days, so even when it's great, Grey's doesn't really stand a chance. It's also a lot harder for shows to survive and stay on air these days given all the competition and the current state of ratings. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 3

A bit late on this convo but I think to compare ER to Grey's in terms of longevity and awards is sort of unfair. Back then, it was a lot easier for shows on broadcast to win Emmys. Grey's started just before the Emmy's began shunning series' on broadcast in favour of cable and, now, streaming. There was not a single nomination for a broadcast series in the Outstanding Drama category this year (or the year before, or the year before, or the year before...) This year also had no actors from Broadcast in the Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama category. Outstanding Lead Actress had 2 out of 6 actresses from broadcast shows.

In 2009, the year that ER had it's final Emmy nominations (2 - for outstanding Guest Actor and Outstanding Direction) there were 2 Broadcast series nominated for Best Drama, 2 actors in the Best Actor race, and 3 in the Best Actress race. In 1997, the year they had their most Emmy nominations, all 5 Best Drama nominees were on Broadcast, as were every nominated actor and actress.

I'm not saying this to put down ER or say they didn't deserve those awards, or even to say that Grey's deserves more, but simply to say that times have changed rastically, and was a LOT easier for a show on Broadcast to gain nominations than it is now. There's an insane amount of television being produced these days, so even when it's great, Grey's doesn't really stand a chance. It's also a lot harder for shows to survive and stay on air these days given all the competition and the current state of ratings.

I agree. I sometimes feel that they don't even consider Greys for Emmy reel. Maybe it has become a bit drag by now but I feel S-7,8,-9 were amazing performance wise and deserved recognition. Even now Greys throws a episode here and there where the story telling and performance is noteworthy.

My problem is the shows that actually win Emmy. Sometimes I feel they aren't 'that' great and I don't even get why they won. My biggest beef is mostly against Game Of Thrones. While I love the graphics and cinematography but that's about it for that show. When someone even gets nomination in actors/actress category from that show, I cringe. I like that show, I just feel it isn't 'that' good.

12x17 - "I Wear the Face" - Meredith goes on an ambulance ride with Owen and Nathan to pick up a heart for a transplant patient. Musician & MS patient Kyle Diaz is admitted to Grey Sloan Memorial with a tremor in his hand, and the residents apply for the Preminger Grant. Meanwhile, Catherine continues to insert herself into Jackson and April's business against Richard's wishes, on "Grey's Anatomy," THURSDAY, APRIL 7 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EDT) on the ABC Television Network.

Guest starring is Samantha Sloyan as Penny Blake, Debbie Allen as Catherine Avery and Wilmer Valderrama as Kyle Diaz.

So Wilmer is indeed a long-term patient. Grey's has never really tackled MS... it's an illness I've dealt with closely in my family, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they deal with it.

I agree. I sometimes feel that they don't even consider Greys for Emmy reel. Maybe it has become a bit drag by now but I feel S-7,8,-9 were amazing performance wise and deserved recognition. Even now Greys throws a episode here and there where the story telling and performance is noteworthy.

My problem is the shows that actually win Emmy. Sometimes I feel they aren't 'that' great and I don't even get why they won. My biggest beef is mostly against Game Of Thrones. While I love the graphics and cinematography but that's about it for that show. When someone even gets nomination in actors/actress category from that show, I cringe. I like that show, I just feel it isn't 'that' good.

I don't love the show, but I think Peter Dinklage is phenomenal and his awards are well-deserved. I can see why it gets nominations considering how much goes into it.

I agree that there's much more competition for awards now than there was 20 years ago since there's so many more tv shows being made. Comparative to shows in the same time frame though ER still stood out with its number of award nominations, critical acclaim, etc. I don't really agree about staying on the air nowadays being harder. The numbers that make a show a hit may have changed but network shows at the top of the ratings pack stay on the air. ABC calls Quantico a hit and it had 3.5 million viewers/1.0 demo on Sunday. Shows also have additional revenue avenues to help keep them on the air that weren't factored in (or at least as much) 20 years ago. IMO, staying on the air for 10-15 years is an achievement for any show, regardless of when it aired.

Meredith goes on an ambulance ride with Owen and Nathan to pick up a heart for a transplant patient.

LOL, I know nothing is realistic on Grey's but 3 attendings going to get a heart? Remember when it was a teaching hospital and a senior doctor took a resident with them?  Not a fan of Wilmer but I'm glad to have a patient that spans a few episodes. 

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1

LOL, I know nothing is realistic on Grey's but 3 attendings going to get a heart? Remember when it was a teaching hospital and a senior doctor took a resident with them?  Not a fan of Wilmer but I'm glad to have a patient that spans a few episodes.

right???  Why are Owen AND Meredith going with Riggs to get a heart.  Obviously it's just for the drama, so silly.  I like the sound of a long term MS patient...I guess it's neuro for Amelia (and Penny?)?  I also like the sound of applying for a grant.  I've been missing real medical stuff like grants, clinical trials, etc. so that could be interesting.  

I was thinking about the resident switchup last week and wondering....aren't Steph, Jo and Ben supposed to be 5th year residents?  I wonder if we'll see them studying or taking boards.  Probably not...we'll probably see Maggie/DeLuca in an on call room and Ben and Bailey fighting.  

• Love 1
I was thinking about the resident switchup last week and wondering....aren't Steph, Jo and Ben supposed to be 5th year residents?  I wonder if we'll see them studying or taking boards.  Probably not...we'll probably see Maggie/DeLuca in an on call room and Ben and Bailey fighting.

Apparently Stephanie got CR and all of that was offscreen, so I won't be surprised if we don't see it.  As for that grant, my guess is that is either something that will give Stephanie a farewell arc if that pilot gets picked up or else Penny will get it even though she is only a 3rd resident.

As for that grant, my guess is that is either something that will give Stephanie a farewell arc if that pilot gets picked up or else Penny will get it even though she is only a 3rd resident.

The grant does look like it could be a set up for Stephanie's exit. I will call foul if Penny even applies for it. A third year resident has no business applying for a grant, no matter how great the show tells us she is.

The grant does look like it could be a set up for Stephanie's exit. I will call foul if Penny even applies for it. A third year resident has no business applying for a grant, no matter how great the show tells us she is.

If it gets Penny off of the show, honestly I'll just smile and embrace the ridiculousness of it lol

• Love 3

If it gets Penny off of the show, honestly I'll just smile and embrace the ridiculousness of it lol

If only. The way her arc has been going Penny will apply and win the grant, stay on the show, become a board member, become the head of neurosurgery, and Meredith will give her Derek's scrub cap all by the end of the season.

• Love 3

Apparently Stephanie got CR and all of that was offscreen, so I won't be surprised if we don't see it.  As for that grant, my guess is that is either something that will give Stephanie a farewell arc if that pilot gets picked up or else Penny will get it even though she is only a 3rd resident.

I would definitely be torn between the absurdity of Penny getting a prestigious grant vs. the joy that said grant would setup her exit.  I think it makes most sense for Stephanie though.  

By the way, I see a lot of people calling Penny a 3rd year resident, but does anyone know where that came from?  Was it ever actually said on the show?  They seem to be trying hard to make Steph, Jo, Penny and Ben a group.  of course you can friends with younger residents but they seem to be grouping these guys together and on the same level.

Edited by Greysaddict

If only. The way her arc has been going Penny will apply and win the grant, stay on the show, become a board member, become the head of neurosurgery, and Meredith will give her Derek's scrub cap all by the end of the season.

I just spewed my coffee

I would definitely be torn between the absurdity of Penny getting a prestigious grant vs. the fact that said grant would setup her exit. I think it makes most sense for Stephanie though.

By the way, I see a lot of people calling Penny a 3rd year resident, but does anyone know where that came from? Was it ever actually said on the show? They seem to be trying hard to make Steph, Jo, Penny and Ben a group. of course you can friends with younger residents but they seem to be grouping these guys together and on the same level.

I think it was said during the dinner episode. She was a second year at Dillard and is joining gsmh as a third year. The grouping is natural. Lexie used to be in Magic's group even when she was a year behind.

The way Meredith and Amelia have been propping up Penny I won't be surprised if she wins the grant. And if it opens her way to exit, I will swallow logic and cheer.

• Love 2

By the way, I see a lot of people calling Penny a 3rd year resident, but does anyone know where that came from?  Was it ever actually said on the show? 

Callie says it to Meredith in episode 7 when trying to get Penny in on their surgery. 

• Love 1

The cast definitely needs a shake up and I would rather have it in a where people get successful new routes and leave then being killed (because honestly all the killings is bringing the show a bad name in general)

If Shane and Leah can be written off, so can be Edwards and Penny. It all depends on what writers want. Writing off these two will also open gates for the new interns to step up and consume screen time and will give writers new people to write things for which we all know is what the Greys Writers are most comfortable with (ha!)

Grey's Anatomy is filming on location today - West Los Angeles college! So far Sara Ramirez & Samantha Sloyan (Callie and Penny filmed 4 scenes) and Jessica Capshaw & Jim Pickens (filmed scenes with '-cars and crying') were spotted on set! The set I believe is being used as outside of GSMH. They're filming 12x21 and Debbie is also on set directing.

Source- Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDT6uf4rbSc

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDTyPPGEe8N

Callie and penny http://calzona-ga.tumblr.com/image/141586377750

Jim and Jessica https://twitter.com/valentinaezas/status/712791519502032896

Edited by beautifulGA
  • Love 1

For the folks who are curious about the filming schedule, there was no table read for 12x21 because filming for 20 ran over. 12x22 table read was today.

It seems like eps 20 and 21 are a two hour block.  Based on the finale date they are going to have double up somewhere, plus episode 20 is scheduled to air on April 28th, the start of the May sweep.

I really don´t understand why Meredith goes with Nathan and Owen in the ambulance in 1217 to get the heart for a transplantation.

Such a contrived stupidity, if they want her with Thorpe - a wannabe Derek, why put her in scenes with Nathan at all? Such rubbish. I´d rather it were just Nathan and Owen. Why the need for an audience in Meredith? So stupid.  

I really do not understand the need for Meredith to hate Nathan, to question him like  a prosecutor in court about Megan in 1212  and to continue meddling into Nathan´s and Owen´s business.These are the occasions that make me despise her.

I honestly hope for the future that Megan magically appears in Seattle healthy. And for Nathan and Megan to be together again.

Edited by NathanRiggsfan

I really don´t understand why Meredith goes with Nathan and Owen in the ambulance in 1217 to get the heart for a transplantation.

Such a contrived stupidity, if they want her with Thorpe - a wannabe Derek, why put her in scenes with Nathan at all? Such rubbish. I´d rather it were just Nathan and Owen. Why the need for an audience in Meredith? So stupid.  

I really do not understand the need for Meredith to hate Nathan, to question him like  a prosecutor in court about Megan in 1212  and to continue meddling into Nathan´s and Owen´s business.These are the occasions that make me despise her.

I honestly hope for the future that Megan magically appears in Seattle healthy. And for Nathan and Megan to be together again.

So wait, if Meredith dates Thorpe then she shouldn't have scenes with any other males? By that logic, should Callie only share scenes with Penny and Alex only have scenes with Jo? And How is Thorpe a wannabe Derek? So far we don't know anything about Thorpe other than him being an oncologist. I agree that it's odd that we have three surgeons going to get a heart, but I'll wait until the episode airs to see why it pans out that way. 

Owen and Nathan need to speak to each other about what happened with Megan,maybe that is the reason why they are put together in 1217 in a space that is limited and they can´t escape unless one of them opens the door of the ambulance and jumps out. 

I get this. 

What I do have problems with is Meredith meddling into what is Owen´s and Nathan´s private issue which I believe is the reason writers put her there - to meddle.

I do not see Meredith being the one who brings Owen and Nathan back together on the road of forgiveness to being friends again,definitely no. That is in Megan´s hands when she appears and that day will come sooner than later. Or maybe it will be Amelia. After seeing last episode I feel like I would want it to be Amelia to put Nathan and Owen back together as friends or as brothers so to say just like Nathan helped Amelia to see Penny as  a human being and start to forgive her even if there is nothing to forgive.

My issue is not Meredith having scenes with more male characters, let her date Thorpe but my main issue is with her constantly meddling into Nathan´s and Owen´s private history. 

With all respect, Meredith has never been Owen´s friend. The way she behaves to Nathan is disrespectful.  Owen bullies him at workplace which is another issue. 

I struggle to understand the reason Meredith is there from the beginning of Owen-Nathan plot and pretends to be Owen´s friend or sb who cares for Owen and why she questions Nathan about Megan which is none of her business. That is all.

Yes, I regard Thorpe as a wannabe Derek and he is a very bad copy of the late Dr Shepherd.

Edited by NathanRiggsfan
Alex only have scenes with Jo?

Can we have that for one episode and have it be more than a 45 second scene? I'm mostly kidding. I sure wouldn't mind some scenes of just Alex/Jo but I'd never want my favorites isolated; that makes them expendable and too dependent on another for story. See Jo right now as an example. I like it best when each character gets a balance of doctoring, friends and romance.

This is from an interview with JH. What's she going to do?

On a show where there is so much change, in terms of both story and cast evolution, what's the thing that makes Grey's feel like Grey's, even amidst all that change?

Messy humanity, maybe. That's key to Shondaland in general. Nobody is perfect, and they're all desperately trying to be the best version of themselves. There's a plot point that happens close to the end of the season, where Stephanie makes a decision that I, as an actor, as a human being [would not make]. I got on the phone with the writers a lot, and I was like, "You're really having her do this?" I'm very open to her doing things that I don't agree with, because the more ways we find to really make these characters, the better this whole thing is. But this decision … wow. I won't keep talking about it, because I think it might be coming too close to spoiler-y. But even in that decision, I see within it her attempting to be the best her that she knows how to be in that moment. That's what makes the show sing and gives it its loyal viewership.

Ooops, sorry. The interview was already posted in Media when I was posting here. Leaving here in case some more spoilers about it come out.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 3

Let's be real, neither Owen or Meredith should be going with Riggs to get the heart.  

Can we have that for one episode and have it be more than a 45 second scene? I'm mostly kidding. I sure wouldn't mind some scenes of just Alex/Jo but I'd never want my favorites isolated; that makes them expendable and too dependent on another for story. See Jo right now as an example. I like it best when each character gets a balance of doctoring, friends and romance.

I was just bringing this over from the media thread!  I too wonder what she is going to do.  I am wondering if she will be fired for doing something wrong or against a patient wishes or something.  That would certainly setup her exit but it's definitely not how I pictured Stephanie's exit so I am definitely curious!

• Love 1

Let's be real, neither Owen or Meredith should be going with Riggs to get the heart.          

True indeed medically speaking but it is a chance for both men to face each other with a limited chance to escape a decent conversation,of course they could also have that journey be in silence which I doubt though.

Or maybe it is a metaphor of this heart being the heart they both get for the revival of their friendship to be like a healthy beating heart again. Who knows?

I fear we will see Nathan depicted as a muderer again by Owen in 1217.

Edited by NathanRiggsfan

Ooops, sorry. The interview was already posted in Media when I was posting here. Leaving here in case some more spoilers about it come out.

LOL I feel you on that one, though. If the writers want the audience to really root for Alex / Jo, then we need some development for the two of them together as well as apart. I'm hoping they get some type of storyline together in the back half of the season now that the Meredith / Jo stuff is seemingly out of the way. We need to see them having fun together and discussing their relationship. That would be my hope. 

And that's interesting about Steph (not something I'd ever heard myself say!) I wonder if it has to do with the MS patient that Wilmer is playing?

It seems like eps 20 and 21 are a two hour block. Based on the finale date they are going to have double up somewhere, plus episode 20 is scheduled to air on April 28th, the start of the May sweep.

Wasn't it initially reported that there was going to be 25 episodes this season? Did I dream that?