Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

"Arizona considers dating again" is pretty funny. She's been separated from Callie for well over a year, and we've heard about her 'getting ready' to date for so long. The time jumps are tough to manage with such a huge cast, because while some stories advance quickly others are just stuck in the same spot. 

• Love 2

I was interested in the Meredith's first patient part until I saw Amelia's name. I know Meredith's the lead but do Amelia and Maggie have to be mentioned in basically every single press release? At least Arizona got on there but it's the exact same thing she's been doing all season.

• Love 3

So do Meredith and Amelia bond over Katie Bryce or will Penny be on Amelia's service? I would say its a way to force a Meredith/Amelia bond but there's absolutely no reason for a general attending surgeon to work on a neuro patient, even if they were an intern on the case year and years ago. 

Worst part of the release for me - "Guest starring is Samantha Sloyan as Penny Blake"

• Love 4

So, Arizona spent two months just standing about fiddling her thumbs waiting for Meredith to get better. Cute. 

I don't know why they're making such a big deal about her dating again, especially since you just know it won't amount to anything. They could easily have her date someone off screen and be done with it. 

• Love 3

So, Arizona spent two months just standing about fiddling her thumbs waiting for Meredith to get better. Cute. 

I don't know why they're making such a big deal about her dating again, especially since you just know it won't amount to anything. They could easily have her date someone off screen and be done with it. 

It's especially funny because we've seen in the past that Arizona is capable of moving on pretty quickly. Now, for some reason, she's been standing still. Considering Capshaw's pregnancy I'm guessing that the writers are trying to give her some screen time without committing to anything major as she gets closer to the due date. I hope that means that they at least advance her story some in the next few episodes, considering she's been in the same spot for over a year now. 

I was interested in the Meredith's first patient part until I saw Amelia's name. I know Meredith's the lead but do Amelia and Maggie have to be mentioned in basically every single press release? At least Arizona got on there but it's the exact same thing she's been doing all season.

Dito. I wish it was literally anyone but Amelia, but unfortunately she's our neuro doc now. * Sigh * 

• Love 2

So do Meredith and Amelia bond over Katie Bryce or will Penny be on Amelia's service? I would say its a way to force a Meredith/Amelia bond but there's absolutely no reason for a general attending surgeon to work on a neuro patient, even if they were an intern on the case year and years ago. 

Penny probably is on that case, simply to sully something from the great days of Grey's Anatomy just so she can be part of a patient's case that was once connected to Derek and Meredith.

Maybe scrubbing in on the surgery with Amelia will indicate more progress in the mending of Meredith and Amelia's relationship. Because I don't see Meredith sitting out on this patient, who's going to tell Penny stories about how Derek taught her her first day? (rolling my eyes already)

Worst part of the release for me - "Guest starring is Samantha Sloyan as Penny Blake"

Same.

actually its one of the best parts...because it means they haven't added her as a regular!  just kidding by the way, Penny is by far the worst character to ever enter Seattle Grace/Mercy West/Grey Sloan Memorial/whateverthefuck.

I just reminded myself of something random.  I miss the "competitions" between hospitals.  They should bring some of that back.  

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 3

Penny probably is on that case, simply to sully something from the great days of Grey's Anatomy just so she can be part of a patient's case that was once connected to Derek and Meredith.

Maybe scrubbing in on the surgery with Amelia will indicate more progress in the mending of Meredith and Amelia's relationship. Because I don't see Meredith sitting out on this patient, who's going to tell Penny stories about how Derek taught her her first day? (rolling my eyes already)

This would be my worst nightmare.  While I don't love Amelia, this feels like it is completely a way to bring Meredith and Amelia together.  Of course it doesn't make sense for a general surgeon to be on a neuro case, but we know thats not how this show works :)   I hope Penny is far far away during these scenes.  

Edited by Greysaddict

actually its one of the best parts...because it means they haven't added her as a regular! just kidding by the way, Penny is by far the worst character to ever enter Seattle Grace/Mercy West/Grey Sloan Memorial/whateverthefuck.

I just reminded myself of something random. I miss the "competitions" between hospitals. They should bring some of that back.

Does anyone know if the Penny actress is still filming?

Yep.  Although I do agree that at least she isn't the show's 1000th regular yet.  Shonda and TPTB clearly don't care that viewers have no interest in Penny and them continuing to force feed her to us causes me to lose more interest with each passing episode.

"Arizona considers dating" is this season's "Callie and Arizona evaluate their relationship."  It's meaningless and vague.  I doubt it will amount to anything substantial, which is annoying if this is all Arizona will get for screen time.  Just because an actress is pregnant, doesn't mean they have to forfeit meaningful storylines.  Just whip out the clipboards and change a camera angle or two.

• Love 1

I just can't imagine how they're going to write Penny off now. I have a bad feeling that she's going to be announced as a regular before the end of the year. I really, really, hope I'm wrong. But it seems like they've worked so hard to give her story above so many other characters, so I can't see her just fading into the background at the hospital now. And she just transferred to GSM so I'm not sure how she'd plausibly leave. Again - I really, really hope I'm wrong. I don't care how they write her off, honestly. The sooner the better. She just isn't needed. I loved the 250th episode, but she should have never come to work at the hospital after that. I may not like Amelia, but I've accepted the fact that she isn't going anywhere. Penny is a really dark spot on an otherwise enjoyable season for me. 

• Love 2

I just can't imagine how they're going to write Penny off now. I have a bad feeling that she's going to be announced as a regular before the end of the year. I really, really, hope I'm wrong. But it seems like they've worked so hard to give her story above so many other characters, so I can't see her just fading into the background at the hospital now. And she just transferred to GSM so I'm not sure how she'd plausibly leave. Again - I really, really hope I'm wrong. I don't care how they write her off, honestly. The sooner the better. She just isn't needed. I loved the 250th episode, but she should have never come to work at the hospital after that. I may not like Amelia, but I've accepted the fact that she isn't going anywhere. Penny is a really dark spot on an otherwise enjoyable season for me.

With the timejumps the residents should be close to the fellowship phase. The writers seem to love Penny so I don't know, but I really wonder if SaRa is leaving and they'll have her follow Penny or something.

Maybe 'Arizona debates dating again' is cue music for a path to be opened for Calzona reunion. It's about time. Even with not together, Calzona is still the most buzzed shodaland couple, though the liking towards Callie has considerably fallen, I think if Calzona move towards a genuine reunion, we will have her back as fan fav. and I would stop wondering if sara is leaving.

With the timejumps the residents should be close to the fellowship phase. The writers seem to love Penny so I don't know, but I really wonder if SaRa is leaving and they'll have her follow Penny or something.

Oh jeez, I never thought of that. I want Penny gone any way possible, but I'll be so sad if Sara / Callie's write-off leaves her somewhere with Penny. She deserves so much better. I loved how Cristina was written off, but giving her Shane somehow tainted it for me too. I could never stand his character. 

• Love 3

Are Penny and Callie still together?  She could leave if they break up (yes, please to both).  Maybe it is too painful for her to work with an ex (not to mention everyone else that hates her in the hospital LOL).

Also, is Penny supposed to be at Jo and Steph's level?  If so, why was she in the lab with Cross and the interns?  Why weren't Jo and Steph there?  So many questions!

• Love 3

I think she was there just so we could witness her character growth and newfound confidence when she raised her hand in the end. There can't be any other reason or logic to it, really.

I was also wondering if she and Callie are still together. It's likely that no one knows, Shonda included. Also, have Owen and Amelia definitely broken up? Or they're on a break, a la Ross and Rachel? Were they ever together to begin with? It's a mess. 

• Love 2

Season 12 is supposed to be Jo and Stephanie's 5th year. I wonder if the writers will remember that and have them go and do their boards at the end of this season? It's unlikely since I think even they can't remember what's going on in regards to the timeline.

• Love 1

Also, is Penny supposed to be at Jo and Steph's level?  If so, why was she in the lab with Cross and the interns?  Why weren't Jo and Steph there?  So many questions!

I think Richard said on Penny's first day that she is a 3rd year resident. 

A crappy 3rd year resident, but I digress. 

So, no, she's not on Jo, Ben, and Stephanie's level. She's not even on 1st-year DeLuca's level. She's the mess in the middle. 

I vote for Penny leaving by any means necessary. Parking lot, death... there are plenty of options! 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 2

Jo and Steph are ahead of penny. Penny was at intern level classes cos she is incompetent (I always wonder how on earth she made it to the programme). Really, she's so dull, I wanted her gone after the dinner episode but when they stretched her I thought she will have a geena davis sort of arc. There are plenty of ways she can be written off and I don't think Callie actually even factors in in that. The only thing is, the writers might think that she's someone good to have as Meredith's protege so that's why they might keep her. Because really, if you take her out, who's available to worship at the altar of lady general?

The only thing is, the writers might think that she's someone good to have as Meredith's protege so that's why they might keep her. Because really, if you take her out, who's available to worship at the altar of lady general?

If that's the case then they need to create a more interesting character and get a better actress because this girl is just not cutting it, or they can have Andrew DeLuca go into General and work under Meredith. It's enough that Derek's memory lives on through his kids and Meredith wearing his scrub cap. Penny is just a bad character who will always be a bad memory of that horrible loss. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 1

My secret thought is they're keeping Penny around to help with a Callie exit plan in case SaRa doesn't sign a new contract.

I would be terribly bummed if SaRa's exit (if she is even leaving) is at all tied to Penny.  Penny is dull and lifeless, and as its been talked about plenty before has zero chemistry with Callie.  It is clear Penny coming to GSMH had absolutely nothing to do with Callie and her storyline and Penny being Callie's girlfriend was just due to convenience.  SaRa deserves so much better.  

Aside from that, logistically there would be so much that needed to be worked out if Callie and Penny were moving off together.  Has Penny even met Sofia?  Who would have custody?  I know there are 14 (or 15?) episodes left but given how little development and screen time anyone not named Meredith, Maggie or Amelia has been given, I can't even fathom how they'd properly do a Callie/Penny leaving Seattle together story.  

I'm surprised we haven't heard any contract negotiation news , for anyone who is up, yet.

Edited by Greysaddict

Of late, Sara's resurgence of excitement with Greys on twitter has me thinking that she resigned. She's done with her annual I miss broadway spiel and back to promoting...besides she loves Callie too much to leave GA. Ellen's cosmopolitan interview has a very interesting segment where she has said that Hollywood is full of 'someone 20' to do a role, so I don't think Sara has any other projects that would pay her 8 millions a year to leave Greys. Sara, Jessica, Chandra, Ellen, Justin all have said that they love how lenient Greys is and they can always do other things with it, for Sara which is her work towards the lgbtq community. Besides her work depends on her visibility. I don't think her voice will be heard if she goes back to Broadway now. As far as we know she doesn't have any Broadway offers either.

So correct me if I'm wrong: we know for sure that Jessica and Kevin are both going to stick around. Ellen isn't official but is basically confirmed. In addition, Giacomo, Jason, and Martin definitely signed multi-year deals, as I imagine Caterina and Kelly did last year. So Justin, Chandra, James and Sara all have contracts expiring at the end of the season. Anyone know the status of the rest of the cast in terms of contract periods? 

They officially have way too many regular characters, because it took me a ridiculous amount of time to realize who these actors were.

SAME. I literally thought CL was Chyler Leigh for a full 30 seconds before I figured out who it actually was.

• Love 2

I just thought of something gross. Perhaps Penny was brought in as an eventual love interest for Arizona if Sara Ramirez is leaving? We know damn well these people can't date outside the hospital and by then Penny will be an established lesbian character and kinda obvious choice.

I just thought of something gross. Perhaps Penny was brought in as an eventual love interest for Arizona if Sara Ramirez is leaving? We know damn well these people can't date outside the hospital and by then Penny will be an established lesbian character and kinda obvious choice.

Dear God, I hope not. I thought Arizona's drunk flirting with Penny in 12x05 was pretty weird. 

• Love 1

That would be horrible, and I would feel bad for Arizona because just like with Callie, Penny has chemistry with no one.

And I thought Arizona's behavior in episode 5 was because she was drunk, and not because she actually was digging Penny. But I guess you never know with these writers nowadays.

• Love 1

I liken Penny to a tremendously suckier version of Arizona, so why would she want to date that?

Heck, bring Hilarie Burton back. Or Nikki DeLoache. Or that crazy stage 5 clinger Ortho nurse from a few seasons ago. They'd all be better choices.

Thanks, CED9

They say that about every season. Boring. ZzzzzzzZzzzzZzzz.

I agree they overhype (see last episode). I was just curious what episode they were up to. It seems a little early for the "crazy" episodes at the end of the season to begin. IMO, there's generally a calm before the storm before the final few.

MH instagrammed some pics. 

Looks like Penny is still around in 1218 :(

because this can't be said enough, GO AWAY PENNY.  ughhhhh  I hate the she is 1) taking away time and story that other characters could be used for and 2) is bringing down Callie.

I am really hopeful for tomorrow's episode to see Jo working with both Callie and Maggie.  While I want to see Jolex stuff too, I hope the hospital stuff isn't breezed through in a millisecond.    

• Love 3

I don't think Penny will be anything more than a background character now, so it probably won't be too bad. And honestly, nothing would really change even if she became a regular. Ben and Stephanie have been regulars for god knows how much time now and it's not like anyone ever expects them to have something meaningful going on for them. 

I don't think Penny will be anything more than a background character now, so it probably won't be too bad. And honestly, nothing would really change even if she became a regular. Ben and Stephanie have been regulars for god knows how much time now and it's not like anyone ever expects them to have something meaningful going on for them.

Penny's gotten more as a recurring character than Ben and Stephanie ever did, so I could see it continuing if she became a regular. Even if she becomes a background character, I'll still resent that she came in and got airtime/storyline for as many episodes as she did when so many characters got screwed last season and haven't gotten any real storylines this season.
  • Love 5

MH instagrammed some pics. 

Looks like Penny is still around in 1218 :(

Is Riggs a new love interest for Amelia????

I am starting to wonder ....

He bought her the drink,then we will see them working together on a case in 1212. Then again we will see them in 1218.

Riggs is perhaps the first male character on Greys I am starting to be interested in after Owen and Derek,and what will Rhimes do??? She might pair him with the character I hate the most.  I am screwed.

Edited by Meredithfan

If Penny were written off, I think everyone would forget about her quickly. There have been plenty of guest stars in a recurring capacity that just didn't work out and ended up leaving - Sadie, Reed, Dr Dixon, etc.. But keeping her until at least 12x18 signifies to me that she's not going anywhere. I fear they'll go the way of Amelia / Maggie with her rather than Ben / Steph - I can see Shonda putting her in the forefront even more next year, finding a new love interest for her, or developing a story for Penny / Callie. I hope I'm wrong. 

• Love 1