Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

WTF do they need a military oncologist for, for more than one episode?

Before we know it, this is going to be a cast of 20. And they can't even manage to tell stories with the characters they've had on contract for years now.

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure this is for episode 9 not 10... since, according to the press release for 10, the hospital will be dealing with the aftermath of Meredith's attack.

The overdone use of carpooling is to this season what the overdone use of flashbacks was to last season. What will next season's gimmick be?

I actually don't mind that they tell us Jo's answer/the state of Jolex early in the episode, since we know that once Meredith get's attacked it's going to be all-Meredith all the time and any information at this point is better than no information. And I'm glad Jo said "no", because what does Alex do? Run back to Meredith's house, which isn't that Jo's point? Prior to the proposal Jo said she was going to stay at Stephanie's, and even if Alex is being chivalrous in leaving their home instead, him going to Meredith's is not going to help his case with Jo.

I know I know, where else would Alex go? I'm just trying to look at things from Jo's POV.

And of course, the big reveal about the breakup has fuckall to do with Alex or Jo, it's all about Maggie and her sex life. Color me shocked. If we found out by Alex confiding privately to Mer, I would have been fine with it, but it was the afterthought I thought it would be.

I'm thrilled that Jo said no, but I hate that Alex moved back into the house. Hate. It's such a step back for him and WindSprints is right, this will be his status quo until Meredith starts sleeping with Nathan. Or Alex at this point, who knows?

• Love 1

Could he be tied to Owen's sister? 

That's a good guess. I'm just stuck on one episode turning into four with what sounds like the possibility of more. I hope they aren't just throwing things at the wall and sees what sticks.

Could he be tied to Owen's sister? 

That's probably the most likely explanation. Otherwise it must be a long-term patient arc.

Either way, the last thing I'm interested in is another long-term cast member. I'm in the minority who is excited about the next episode / Meredith storyline and optimistic about the Alex / Jo stuff... but another recurring character just means less time for everyone else. Less time for Alex, less time for Jo, less time for Baily, Callie, Arizona, Jackson, Richard... and so on.

Part of me hopes that this Meredith episode is the only major 'event' or 'trauma' episode of the season. The other half of me is praying that a Tornado rages through GSM and kills Amelia, Steph, Ben, Maggie, Owen, and Penny. 

• Love 1

That's a good guess. I'm just stuck on one episode turning into four with what sounds like the possibility of more. I hope they aren't just throwing things at the wall and sees what sticks.

Yes, he could be tied to Owen´s sister.

She could have been in terminal stage of cancer so we get some flasback ,but that could have been 1 episode, Why 4???

And of course, the big reveal about the breakup has fuckall to do with Alex or Jo, it's all about Maggie and her sex life. Color me shocked. If we found out by Alex confiding privately to Mer, I would have been fine with it, but it was the afterthought I thought it would be.

I'm thrilled that Jo said no, but I hate that Alex moved back into the house. Hate. It's such a step back for him and WindSprints is right, this will be his status quo until Meredith starts sleeping with Nathan. Or Alex at this point, who knows?

I expected him to move back to Meredith's. I figured he'd let Jo have the loft, and with Meredith's attack, I knew they'd get him back there to be 24 hour support. If he had to move in with someone, I wish it was Arizona.I still don't get why they had the intern move in there.

That's probably the most likely explanation. Otherwise it must be a long-term patient arc.

Either way, the last thing I'm interested in is another long-term cast member. I'm in the minority who is excited about the next episode / Meredith storyline and optimistic about the Alex / Jo stuff... but another recurring character just means less time for everyone else. Less time for Alex, less time for Jo, less time for Baily, Callie, Arizona, Jackson, Richard... and so on.

Part of me hopes that this Meredith episode is the only major 'event' or 'trauma' episode of the season. The other half of me is praying that a Tornado rages through GSM and kills Amelia, Steph, Ben, Maggie, Owen, and Penny. 

I notice you didn't add Maggie, Amelia, Meredith to the less time list.

I'm sort of interested in the Owen/Riggs story, but I have a feeling it's going to eat a lot of screen time and of course involve Meredith and Amelia and probably Maggie because lord knows she doesn't get enough to do. 

Edited by Evie
  • Love 1

Oh, that would be interesting! 

Do you think we will see Owen´s sister as cancer-stricken patient in treatment by this oncologist? ? I mean it definitely can´t be the red-haired one from 1214 ,because now it is pretty clear Owen´s sister suffered from cancer and died of it.

Was Owen´s sister maybe a nurse in the army?

I think we might see her in 1215. You can´t get any news on guest stars just now,right? I´m really interested in who she was. There must be some flashbacks.

It seems the oncologist will already star in 1214 which was filmed in late December as the actor posted that photo. So he will also be in 1215,1216,1217 - but it doesn´t make sense if he is related to Owen´s sister unless we see her still alive at a hospice and he is her doctor.

Edited by Meredithfan

This pic is from 12x10 and that is Meredith's Lexus outside Jolex's loft. We know Alex is living with her now, so do you think there's a chance of Mer going there to make amends with Jo? We also know Meredith will be attending therapy so perhaps she realizes how she's been mistreating Jo and now she wants to do the right thing. 

I remember seeing the spoiler pic of his medical ID back in Dec.  I can't believe they extended him to 4 episodes (so far!!) bc what this show really needs is more characters to deal with.  I am hoping/guessing he ties into the Owen/Riggs/sister storyline.  Perhaps the sister had cancer and this is the doc who treated her and maybe helped her end her life, since medically assisted suicide is one of the more popular theories out there.  

• Love 2

Do you think we will see Owen´s sister as cancer-stricken patient in treatment by this oncologist? ? I mean it definitely can´t be the red-haired one from 1214 ,because now it is pretty clear Owen´s sister suffered from cancer and died of it.

Was Owen´s sister maybe a nurse in the army?

I think we might see her in 1215. You can´t get any news on guest stars just now,right? I´m really interested in who she was. There must be some flashbacks.

It seems the oncologist will already star in 1214 which was filmed in late December as the actor posted that photo.

I don't know but to be honest I was under the impression that Owen's sister was brain dead, I never thought anything about cancer until now....

And yes, I think he'll be on 12x14 since the first pic he posted was around episode 13. I do think we'll get some flashbacks. 

But what if he's friends with April and this is related to that boy? Remember they said his tumours could be cancerous... do you think there's any chance of that cute boy coming back? His storyline was good but the way it ended was kinda meh, imo.

• Love 1

I don't know but to be honest I was under the impression that Owen's sister was brain dead, I never thought anything about cancer until now....

And yes, I think he'll be on 12x14 since the first pic he posted was around episode 13. I do think we'll get some flashbacks. 

But what if he's friends with April and this is related to that boy? Remember they said his tumours could be cancerous... do you think there's any chance of that cute boy coming back? His storyline was good but the way it ended was kinda meh, imo.

The boy - yes, he could also be there for him. Such a difficult case as he was and he just disappeared,odd.

• Love 1

This pic is from 12x10 and that is Meredith's Lexus outside Jolex's loft. We know Alex is living with her now, so do you think there's a chance of Mer going there to make amends with Jo? We also know Meredith will be attending therapy so perhaps she realizes how she's been mistreating Jo and now she wants to do the right thing. 

Could be, but I think its more likely she drove Alex (or Alex borrowed her car) there to pick up his belongings or something along those lines. Anyone know if there is a time jump between 12x09 and 12x10 for Meredith to go from being severely injured to driving to the loft?

I notice you didn't add Maggie, Amelia, Meredith to the less time list.

Meredith had several years around the middle of the series where she wasn't much more than a part of the ensemble and often got little, sporadic, or virtually no storylines. I believe it was a time when Shonda was prepping for the possibility of the series going on without Ellen. Now Shonda appears to be writing her as the lead again since Ellen seems to be committed to the show until the end, and I think that's a great thing (though I know not everyone feels that way, which is fine.) So, no, I don't think we'll see a drastic reduction in her screentime anytime soon. I hate Amelia, but she's been made a main focus since she entered last year. Ditto for Maggie, though I don't quite hate her, I'm just not a fan. She's gotten increasingly annoying to me this season, mostly because of her ridiculous dialogue. 

I'd much rather less screen time be given Maggie and Amelia than less time for Alex, Callie, Bailey, etc. They've been short-changed a lot recently. But I'm fine with, and in fact prefer, Meredith remaining the center of the show. 

Could be, but I think its more likely she drove Alex (or Alex borrowed her car) there to pick up his belongings or something along those lines. Anyone know if there is a time jump between 12x09 and 12x10 for Meredith to go from being severely injured to driving to the loft?

The scene from the promo where Alex kisses Mer's forehead appears to show her sitting up in bed and smiling / laughing, so I think her recovery will happen fairly quickly. 

Edited by BaseOps

Ditto for Maggie, though I don't quite hate her, I'm just not a fan. She's gotten increasingly annoying to me this season, mostly because of her ridiculous dialogue. 

Same, BaseOps.

In fact I liked Maggie, but this season she's gotten so obnoxious. I can't stand her now. I wonder how things would be if we still had Lexie. I feel like Lexie wouldn't accept Maggie that easily. 

I guess it depends on how her therapy goes.  If it goes well, maybe she is making amends or pleading Alex's case.  If it doesn't go well, maybe she is going there to bitch Jo out for breaking Alex's heart, but at least that will show her having Alex's back.  That's me being optimistic LOL!

• Love 1

I guess it depends on how her therapy goes.  If it goes well, maybe she is making amends or pleading Alex's case.  If it doesn't go well, maybe she is going there to bitch Jo out for breaking Alex's heart, but at least that will show her having Alex's back.  That's me being optimistic LOL!

It could go either way. Here's hoping the therapy goes well haha

Same, BaseOps.

In fact I liked Maggie, but this season she's gotten so obnoxious. I can't stand her now. I wonder how things would be if we still had Lexie. I feel like Lexie wouldn't accept Maggie that easily. 

I really warmed up to Maggie by the end of last season. I was actually rooting for a potential pairing with Alex. But it seems like they really turned her up to 11 this year, and it just gets on my nerves. I think the actress is fine (good, even) but Maggie has become too obnoxious and I just hate to see any one character be given so much focus while so many others are totally ignored. 

• Love 1

aTVfest "spoilers" 1 2

There's a time jump. The episode takes place during the entire time Meredith is healing.

Basically the whole episode is from Meredith's POV, so only what Mer sees or hears.

There's a really sweet scene between Meredith and Arizona.

Alex takes Mer's kids to the hospital.

Edited by Kagomei
  • Love 2

aTVfest "spoilers" 1 2

There's a time jump. The episode takes place during the entire time Meredith is healing.

Basically the whole episode is from Meredith's POV, so only what Mer sees or hears.

Looking through Twitter the reaction to the episode is overwhelmingly positive, which is great. 

Yup. I'm even more excited for the episode now :)

Me too. I'm very excited for lots of Meredith / Alex scenes. Everyone seems to be raving about both Ellen and Justin's performances in the episode. I really think this is going to be a great episode that will lead to some great storylines. I can't wait for next Thursday! 

• Love 1

Another time jump? What year is it in GA universe? 2035? Shouldn't they be all having grandchildren by now? 

OTOH, it's probably better that we get it over with in one episode. 

• Love 2

Me too. I'm very excited for lots of Meredith / Alex scenes. Everyone seems to be raving about both Ellen and Justin's performances in the episode. I really think this is going to be a great episode that will lead to some great storylines. I can't wait for next Thursday! 

A lot of people said Ellen's acting is Emmy-worthy and they also said Justin was amazing as well. I'm so glad we get such a powerful episode 12 seasons in. Plus, they seemed very excited about the fact that Denzel directed the episode, they are all saying he did a great job and that he should direct more.

On a shallow note I'm very happy we'll get to see Mer's kids again. All three of them!

• Love 2

The thing that confuses me is that, I was looking at pics from this event where they showed the episode and they had a Q&A with cast members.

The cast members that represented? Giacomo, Jason and Martin. How in the world would those 3 make a good GA Q&A?

Another time jump? What year is it in GA universe? 2035? Shouldn't they be all having grandchildren by now? 

A lot of TV shows do this. Grey's, especially, has always played with / disregarded time. The first 3 seasons took place over a single year and the rest have been all over the map. I don't really pay attention to timeline anymore. It's parallel Grey's universe now, lol. Anything goes. 

A lot of people said Ellen's acting is Emmy-worthy and they also said Justin was amazing as well. I'm so glad we get such a powerful episode 12 seasons in. Plus, they seemed very excited about the fact that Denzel directed the episode, they are all saying he did a great job and that he should direct more.

On a shallow note I'm very happy we'll get to see Mer's kids again. All three of them!

I'm a fan of Denzel as an actor, so I'm excited to see how he does here. I'm a bit of a film nerd, and I tend to pay attention to directorial choices and often think they can make or break an episode. I'm also excited for some scenes with the kids, finally! Probably my biggest complaint about the first 8 episodes was the total lack of seeing Meredith with her children. 

The thing that confuses me is that, I was looking at pics from this event where they showed the episode and they had a Q&A with cast members.

The cast members that represented? Giacomo, Jason and Martin. How in the world would those 3 make a good GA Q&A?

All 3 of those guys are (oddly) now series regulars. They get whoever is available. Lots of the cast is likely on set filming. 

• Love 2

I'm not big on time jumps but I do think there are times when they help move the story along. This is one of them. If there was no jump then the options would be to have Meredith recovering for who knows how many episodes or having her pop back like nothing happened (like when she died in season 3).

I've never thought the episode wouldn't be dramatic, etc. I'm not at all surprised that people with twitter bios that include "Ellen Pompeo fan girl" would absolutely love it. The intent is to focus on Meredith so every Meredith fan will love it because its all her.

As a Jolex fan I'm taking a wait and see approach. Alex & Jo being back together at the end of the episode won't be enough to make me feel that their story is being told, which is what would make me happy. I want scenes of them without third parties butting in and for that story to last more than 1 episode (especially since their story will be a tiny part of the episode). A proposal ending with a cliffhanger with the answer reveal being Maggie yelling Alex moved into Amelia's room isn't a great start. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised but don't expect to be, at least in this particular episode.

• Love 4

aTVfest "spoilers" 1 2

So if Jolex fans will be happy, that means they must reconcile during the span of time of Meredith's recovery, but if the entire episode is from Meredith's POV, doesn't that mean we wont actually get to see Alex and Jo work out their issues?  so once again, they get short changed in terms of meaty acting.  I am trying really hard to reserve judgement until I see the episode but I will be pretty annoyed if that is what happens.

• Love 4

One of the things I've always loved about the show is the connection between Meredith and Alex.  It's not a sexual relationship that could go hither and yon, but just something solid and somewhat unexpected so many years ago.  And it has been solid throughout. So I'm happy we can see this again, although there could be a mess outside of this.  The through-line is something that I appreciate about the show.  

Please show, don't ever mess this up!

• Love 4

aTVfest "spoilers" 1 2

Someone on twitter spoiled what the Meredith/Arizona scene is about. Sounds sweet.

So if Jolex fans will be happy, that means they must reconcile during the span of time of Meredith's recovery, but if the entire episode is from Meredith's POV, doesn't that mean we wont actually get to see Alex and Jo work out their issues?  so once again, they get short changed in terms of meaty acting.  I am trying really hard to reserve judgement until I see the episode but I will be pretty annoyed if that is what happens.

I'm a Jolex fan and somehow I doubt I'll be happy. Jo obviously said no to the proposal or maybe that she just needed some time to think since Alex is at Meredith's. Great. I just don't see how that is resolved in an episode with Meredith in every scene. Maybe Jo says no but they have a nice scene after Meredith is attacked and so it seems like they will reconcile, but in the next episode we find out it was misleading and they still haven't worked out their issues? I wouldn't be opposed to that.  I'm just afraid that they have a nice moment in 12x09 and reunite in 12x10 and that's the end of any potential Jolex story line.

• Love 2

Thank you! Much appreciated. I'm super excited to have Meredith interacting with members of the cast that we rarely see her with. I loved the scene of Mer & Arizona during the plane crash episode last season, where they comforted each other in the closet. I'm always much more interested in the show - and think it works a lot better - when Meredith is used as the anchor to tie everything together, and I hope this episode leads to more of that. I'd love to see more Meredith / Jackson and Meredith / Arizona scenes in the future, in particular. 

I'm also excited to continue reading bitter reactions from Meredith haters. This board is going to be so fun after the episode airs, lol.

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 2

As a Jolex fan I'm taking a wait and see approach. Alex & Jo being back together at the end of the episode won't be enough to make me feel that their story is being told, which is what would make me happy. I want scenes of them without third parties butting in and for that story to last more than 1 episode (especially since their story will be a tiny part of the episode). A proposal ending with a cliffhanger with the answer reveal being Maggie yelling Alex moved into Amelia's room isn't a great start. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised but don't expect to be, at least in this particular episode.

Thats where I am as well.  I guess for someone who isn't a Jolex fan, them staying together and being happy would be enough, but if that were the case then I would have been thrilled with the last year and a half and I definitely haven't been.  I actively want them to break up.  Right now, their relationship isn't doing either of them any favors.  Alex completely takes Jo for granted and Jo seems to be losing herself to the relationship.  I want them to have a real storyline that lasts more than an episode and for them both to figure out what they really want.  And them staying together ain't gonna do it.

My guess is that Jo said no and they are not together at the beginning of the episode but then Meredith gives either Jo or Alex a pep talk (probably Jo) and they decide to get back together by the end of the episode.  That doesn't make me happy at all.  Why would I want a MARRIAGE situation dealt with in an episode that is completely about another character?  Yes, I guess we will wait and see, but it looks to me like the same old thing when it comes to Jo, and especially, Alex.

ETA:

I'm also excited to continue reading bitter reactions from Meredith haters. This board is going to be so fun after the episode airs, lol.

Just as fun as it always been LOL!  Despite my dislike of the way she has been acting for the last couple of seasons, I am not a Meredith hater, but I have been on the receiving end of a LOT of vitriol from her fans (and PD and Mer/Der fans).  On TWOP, one loon PM'd me constantly to call me deranged, repulsive, blind, and a horrible person because I dared to mention that I didn't get the all the fuss about PD or Mer/Der, until I finally blocked him/her/it.  So it definitely isn't a new thing and it definitely isn't just those who don't care for Meredith.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 3

I honestly think that 95% of me is intrigued by Meredith/Arizona scenes solely because Ellen and Jessica are so close IRL.

agree!  I think Ellen and Camilla are pretty close too.  Its a shame all we ever get to see on screen in Meredith treating Jo like shit...but maybe that is about to change in 1209.

• Love 1

I honestly think that 95% of me is intrigued by Meredith/Arizona scenes solely because Ellen and Jessica are so close IRL.

Same, CED9. I love their friendship and I bet they would have amazing chemistry if they had more scenes together. Jessica and Ellen are also very close to Camilla.

This board is going to be so fun after the episode airs, lol.

I'm sorry, but are you suggesting that we all sometimes go haywire after an episode?  I'm simply not going to agree that that has occasionally happened!!:)  I do not know of that which you speak!!!!

• Love 5

Thats where I am as well.  I guess for someone who isn't a Jolex fan, them staying together and being happy would be enough, but if that were the case then I would have been thrilled with the last year and a half and I definitely haven't been.  I actively want them to break up.  Right now, their relationship isn't doing either of them any favors.  Alex completely takes Jo for granted and Jo seems to be losing herself to the relationship.  I want them to have a real storyline that lasts more than an episode and for them both to figure out what they really want.  And them staying together ain't gonna do it.

My guess is that Jo said no and they are not together at the beginning of the episode but then Meredith gives either Jo or Alex a pep talk (probably Jo) and they decide to get back together by the end of the episode.  That doesn't make me happy at all.  Why would I want a MARRIAGE situation dealt with in an episode that is completely about another character?  Yes, I guess we will wait and see, but it looks to me like the same old thing when it comes to Jo, and especially, Alex.

ETA:

Just as fun as it always been LOL!  Despite my dislike of the way she has been acting for the last couple of seasons, I am not a Meredith hater, but I have been on the receiving end of a LOT of vitriol from her fans (and PD and Mer/Der fans).  On TWOP, one loon PM'd me constantly to call me deranged, repulsive, blind, and a horrible person because I dared to mention that I didn't get the all the fuss about PD or Mer/Der, until I finally blocked him/her/it.  So it definitely isn't a new thing and it definitely isn't just those who don't care for Meredith.

Oh I totally agree (I've been on the receiving end of some wild PMs as well). I just know that with this Meredith-centric episode coming up, lots of interesting comments will be posted in the coming weeks. I read message boards as far back as the original ABC Grey's boards, and the Meredith hate was just as intense back then. I remember around the drowning arc there were tons of people asking for Meredith to be killed off and then only used as the narrator (a la Mary Alice from Desperate Housewives). If nothing else, this fanbase is passionate lol. 

• Love 1

Excellent for you, enjoy! If that kind of thing makes you happy that is awesome.  So much for this forum not being a Meredith fan board since clearly you're labeled "bitter" for not liking a storyline. 

I genuinely hope all the nice posters here enjoy the episode, regardless of which fictional characters you root for. I always enjoy your point of views and discussions.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1

Excellent for you, enjoy! If that kind of thing makes you happy that is awesome.  So much for this forum not being a Meredith fan board since clearly you're labeled "bitter" for not liking a storyline.

I genuinely hope all the nice posters here enjoy the episode, regardless of which fictional characters you root for. I always enjoy your point of views and discussions.

No need to get upset, I was joking around. I've said here 1,000 times that I understand that everyone here likes and dislikes multiple characters. It's a huge (and passionate) fanbase. I'm not sure why you'd take anything personally. 

I'm not sure why you'd take anything personally.

I'm not upset. I really don't care if people on the internet find me bitter for not liking fictional Meredith Grey. I actually find in humorous that people get so defensive/upset that others dislike Meredith.  Given the levels of hatred they've displayed in the past (even directed at real people like the actors) you'd think they wouldn't bat an eye over someone having an opinion about someone who doesn't exist.

ETA:

The only one seemingly getting defensive is you

LOL, if you say so. Whatever, pointless discussion.

I'm just afraid that they have a nice moment in 12x09 and reunite in 12x10 and that's the end of any potential Jolex story line.

Yes, same for me.

We know from CL there will be some story with Jo being more assertive so I'm hoping there will be a few moments over the next few episodes. That's nice and all but I'd still like to see an actual storyline.

Edited by windsprints

I'm not upset. I really don't care if people on the internet find me bitter for not liking fictional Meredith Grey. I actually find in humorous that people get so defensive/upset that others dislike Meredith.  Given the levels of hatred they've displayed in the past (even directed at real people like the actors) you'd think they wouldn't bat an eye over someone having an opinion about someone who doesn't exist.

The only one seemingly getting defensive is you. My post wasn't directed at you. I typically enjoy your posts, and I think we've had good discussions in the past. We agree on several things we also disagree on several. That's what makes this board interesting. If we all liked the same characters and stories, there would be nothing to discuss. I'm not upset over anyone disliking Meredith, I think that's silly. I dislike several characters, as well. I just said I'm excited for the riled up reactions, because I often get a good laugh. No need to continue this conversation in this thread, it's off-topic... but there was no disrespect meant to any member of the fanbase, especially not any single poster. 

• Love 2