Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E22: Hoʻamoano (Chasing Yesterday)

• Start Topic

The episode wasn't too bad, but I knew that the half-brother had to be the guilty party, as soon as I saw him.  Isn't it always the sibling-who-now-has-to-share?  The three guys were such losers, but I did laugh when Pauly Shore set his hair on fire.

I'm sure it's just me, but as much as I like Kamekona, his t-shirt design kind of creeps me out.  His head on that shrimp reminds me a little of the creature that Jack Nicholson turned into near the end of 'The Witches of Eastwick' (I'm not sure why--it doesn't really look like it).  Creepy.

Danny's, "She seems like a catch, this lady" REALLY pissed me off. What did she say? She caught him in a total lie. He was coming to Hawaii for the sole purpose of sleeping with other women. And SHE is the problem? If she's so bad, divorce her, and sleep with all of the women who will have you. Because all three of those dudes were MAJOR catches.

I was really bothered by that, too.

I was amused by the looks Steve and Danny shared when the one woman said "there weren't any parents here" and the other said "old, like 40."   I'm not sure Steve is ready to be considered approaching "old" anyone.

I did like Steve and Danny entering the pool party: "We've been here 3 minutes and I've already seen 6 felonies."  (pointing) "7."  "Promise me something, Danny - Gracie goes to college online."  "Done."

• Love 3

Danny's, "She seems like a catch, this lady" REALLY pissed me off. What did she say? She caught him in a total lie.

But you forget that Danny had already listened to all the tapes before Steve had arrived. It's why Danny played the follow up tape of the wife hoping her husband plane crashes on the flight home. I don't think Danny's opinion was formed from that one tape recording we first heard but ALL of them.

Though they were split up, I'm glad that Steve and Danny paired up, and the entire core group had actual lines and a part in the cases.

I was very happy Steve and Danny paired up too.

I enjoyed the episode overall. It was funny, and they also teased the back story with Adam. Next week looks good.

But you forget that Danny had already listened to all the tapes before Steve had arrived. It's why Danny played the follow up tape of the wife hoping her husband plane crashes on the flight home. I don't think Danny's opinion was formed from that one tape recording we first heard but ALL of them.

I was very happy Steve and Danny paired up too.

I enjoyed the episode overall. It was funny, and they also teased the back story with Adam. Next week looks good.

Responding to the part I bolded (at least to start). Do you think Danny's, I don't know..."snarky", maybe?... reaction to the voicemails from the wife/wives may have some basis in the fact he, himself, went through what ended up being a bad marriage with Rachel, & he's been ambivalent, or whatever, about male/female relationships ever since? (except the relationship with Amber/Melissa seems to be going fairly well... at least maybe better than the 1 with Gaby did, although Gaby & Amber/Melissa have probably actually had the same, minimal, amount of screentime in the show, when it boils down to it) For some reason, I've been wondering if Danny's own bad marriage colored his reaction to the voicemails since I saw that part.

And... I'm also looking forward to the "Kono in danger" ep this week, even though we already know things turn out OK, at least since Kono & Adam's wedding is 2 eps after that. I don't think they usually put Kono in what could be major danger, except when she was kidnapped, & Malia was murdered, by Frank Delano's goons at the end of S2/beginning of S3--usually choosing to do that to Steve, instead (or Danny, or at least Chin)--so it's at least a change.

I was also gonna say we already know everything with Kono will be OK since she's a cast member in the opening credits (& probably still under contract for S6, once it's confirmed), but after what happened to Dr. "McDreamy" on Grey's Anatomy (which I don't even watch anymore) this past week, we've seen that having time left on your contract (Patrick Dempsey was signed through next season, which GA also hasn't been renewed for yet) & being an actor in the main title credits apparently doesn't mean a thing when the writer gets the idea to shock-eliminate your character in an ep because that's where the "writing muses", if you will, are leading the writer (sort of like when Wo Fat was surprisingly offed by Peter Lenkov in Ina Paha, even though Mark Dacascos was only a recurring, & not a "main title", contract, actor like Patrick Dempsey was on GA).

And I'm also still looking forward to finding out *how* Rachel's gonna tell Danny he actually has a daughter *&* a son, not just Gracie; & (hopefully) *why* she decided to tell him now, when she gave birth to the son in mid-S2 (though I'm not gonna be surprised if, when we see him, Charlie's been "aged up", at least a little, & will be at least 5 or something, in character, now). Not to mention, is Danny gonna take it calmly or "blow his stack" because Rachel willfully denied him spending most of the 1st 3 (or whatever) years of his life with Charlie, except for any time Danny might've seen him while picking up or dropping off Gracie, when she lived with Rachel & Stan & Danny just had visitation. I just had to throw that in.

And I'm also still looking forward to finding out *how* Rachel's gonna tell Danny he actually has a daughter *&* a son, not just Gracie; & (hopefully) *why* she decided to tell him now, when she gave birth to the son in mid-S2 (though I'm not gonna be surprised if, when we see him, Charlie's been "aged up", at least a little, & will be at least 5 or something, in character, now). Not to mention, is Danny gonna take it calmly or "blow his stack" because Rachel willfully denied him spending most of the 1st 3 (or whatever) years of his life with Charlie, except for any time Danny might've seen him while picking up or dropping off Gracie, when she lived with Rachel & Stan & Danny just had visitation. I just had to throw that in.

hunh?

This show is so weird. There's so much going on all the time. H50 pretty much runs a police state on the island. I suppose I prefer that to a more static formula. The cases are original enough. 

Grover cracks me up though. I like his "I'm so over this" voice when he just said "BYE" to those three idiots. 

DDK's "oh ffs" when they shot the guy at the gate was pretty funny too. 

So you find a dead body in your hotel room and drag it off to be buried somewhere, thereby destroying all evidence at the scene, and you can just leave the island a few days later? Really??

I liked the B-plot a lot better and think it would have made a really interesting episode on its own with the whole gang working on it. Which would have been slightly more plausible than Chin and Kono going it alone. I hate when cop shows have just one or two cops going in a huge warehouse/factory/farm that is supposedly the hideout for a dangerous person/gang. Like there are no back-ups or SWAT teams available.

Beginning of show, we meet the 3 men...

Me: Is that guy (the bigger one), um, um... (casts about for actor name)

Mr. DVD: If you're about to say Chris Farley, the answer is no because he died a few years ago.

Me: Yeah, that was it. Guess it must be someone who looks like him then.

(show goes on, ends, I come here to read posts)

Me: Oh, it was Chris Farley's *brother*

Mr. DVD: Well, that works then.

Me: Also Steve Urkel was in that. 

(we rewind and conclude we never would have guessed that on our own and briefly lament that we are old enough that Steve Urkel is old enough to be playing a 40 year old)

Anyway, I pegged the brother the instant he came on the screen.  It's always, always, always the sibling when there's a surprise new sibling and imminent money.

I like it better when the B-plot is more connected to someone's personal life (as long as it's not Chin and Gabriel, or anything related to the Yakusa or Doris), than a second case. I thought both cases were interesting enough (as painful as watching flashbacks of 40 years olds "flirting" with college girls) to warrant their own episodes. And I agree that there is no way that some fugitive notorious enough to be on America's Most Wanted, is going to be detained by only Chin and Kono. 

Where do co-eds at the University of Hawaii go for spring break? Minnesota?

Edited by JessDVD
  • LOL 1

I know that was probably a rhetorical question, and I'm considerably past college-age, but based on what I know about my friends' and co-workers' children, I don't think many UH (*) students go anywhere on break. A lot of them probably still live with their parents and work part-time and try to pick up extra hours when school's not in session because it's so expensive here. Or they just hang out with friends and go to the beach or to clubs. If they go anywhere, it's mostly likely Vegas ("the 9th island") if they're 21+ or Disneyland.

(*) I've never heard anyone say "U of H" like one of the waitresses in this episode did, although people will often specify which campus they're attending UH-Manoa [main campus], UH-West O'ahu, UH-Hilo...).

• Love 2

I am sure I am not alone when I say that I knew that they were all going to be innocent, but I was so hoping for serious consequences for the three douchenozzles.  They were trying to conceal a body.  And they were allowed to leave the island?  I think I heard one of them say they got an obstruction or hindering charge, but shouldn't that have a more serious penalty?  

I think the A storyline would have been much more entertaining if the three guys were more likeable.  We've already seen "The Hangover", there wasn't anything all that original here and I for one didn't find it at all enjoyable to see these three losers repeatedly failing at picking up women half their age.

Lately there has been too much Jerry.  This character should never be central to any storyline.  I don't need to hear him singing.  Or getting involved.  Or getting a badge.

• Love 1

I am sure I am not alone when I say that I knew that they were all going to be innocent, but I was so hoping for serious consequences for the three douchenozzles.  They were trying to conceal a body.  And they were allowed to leave the island?  I think I heard one of them say they got an obstruction or hindering charge, but shouldn't that have a more serious penalty?  

It sounded like they plea bargained for three years probation with Captain  Grover promising them they would be imprisoned even if they messed up at home.. The b story was the more interesting to me. I was expecting expected another Sang Min cooperative witness role

Edited by Raja