Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Intro to Recycled Cinema

The group makes a Sci-Fi movie. Jeff realizes he is trapped at Greendale and has an identity crisis. Chang becomes an Internet sensation and heads to Hollywood.

Please note - the topic will be locked until the episode has dropped on Yahoo! Screen at 12:01 a.m. PT, 1:01 a.m. MT, 2:01 a.m. CT, and 3:01 a.m. ET. This topic is for episode discussion only please.

Why does Britta have trouble paying rent when she's the only one in that apartment with a job?

I liked this episode. There wasn't much plot to get in the way of the characters hanging around, being stupid. and I liked the Jeff speech at the end. The show really doesn't get into the fact that he went from hotshot lawyer to teacher at the worst community college of all time, so it's nice to be reminded that logically, he must hate his life. And they seemed to be hinting at an ending, implying everyone leaves and becomes successful.

• Love 3

Like most episodes this season this one was a good bit longer than an NBC slot would allow. But unlike those I felt it used the time well. The insane movie from recycled footage was a plot we'd never get on another show and I liked the Jeff/Abed scenes. I even liked the subtle reference to Hickey although his absense has never been mentioned nor explained.

The only thing I would have cut was the end tag with Chang in the recording booth. And maybe him slinking back to the group, although that closed it up nicely. Otherwise, a good episode and another one that puts the "community" in Community.

• Love 1

Pretty decent show.  I liked that the movie they made was so bad.  Really, they should just put it on YouTube and let people watch it for free.  Like Abed and Troy used to do, there are some people who watch bad films just for the snark.  Maybe someday it'll become a cult classic.  The YouTube ads will garner money for the school. 

#oobadooba 

I really want to see their movie. It looked gloriously atrocious. 

Not a lot happened this week, but I thought it was a good outing. Although, if they had decided to permanently get rid of Chang, I would have been ok with that. But in the other hand, no way could he function in regular society outside Greendale for that long. Especially as a celebrity. 

Pay your rent, Britta!

I hope that Jeff does eventually become a lawyer again, but maybe one who actually helps people. When everyone else leaves, I cant imagine he would want to stay at Greendale. 

What I think is working this year, as opposed to, say, The Gas Leak Year, is that they aren't trying so hard. The Gas Leak Year tried so hard to be old school community, it just came off as cheap. This year, the plots are a lot smaller scale, but they just seem happy doing what they're doing. It might not be Community in its prime, but I`m happy with whats going on. 

• Love 3

There's so many weird meta jokes going on this season. Weird not because they're meta, but because they seem to know exactly what's wrong, but would rather point at it than fix it. Makes me wonder if the need to cut six+ minutes off their film was a reference to the show's current running time being so off.

As usual, I have mixed feelings about the episode. But I would have loved to see that whole movie!

• Love 5

There's so many weird meta jokes going on this season. Weird not because they're meta, but because they seem to know exactly what's wrong, but would rather point at it than fix it.

I unno, Community's done a lot of episodes about what a messed up situation making Community is. See "Messianic Myths and Ancient Peoples" (Dan is a crazy person), "Celebrity Pharmacology" (Chevy is an egomaniac who derails the show), "Documentary Filmmaking: Redux" (Dan is a crazy person 2)... I can't think of one from S5, though.

• Love 3

I don't know why but when Jeff and Abed hugged I felt this pang of sadness because..... I miss Troy!  Abed looked so surprised. You just know that he and Troy would have so much fun making that horrible movie. {{waaaaa!!}}

I don't know why but when Jeff and Abed hugged I felt this pang of sadness because..... I miss Troy!  Abed looked so surprised. You just know that he and Troy would have so much fun making that horrible movie. {{waaaaa!!}}

Oh man, I'd forgotten about that s1 (?) tag where Troy and Abed made their own fan-movie for Kickpuncher.

Haaaaaam, girl!

I'm surprised I'm the first to bring that up. I really like Chang when he's being 'normal Chang' and then any second he can be weirdo Chang again.

There's so many weird meta jokes going on this season. Weird not because they're meta, but because they seem to know exactly what's wrong, but would rather point at it than fix it. 

I was thinking the same thing, there has been a lot of reference this season to all the stupid things they've done to the show but not a lot of work to improve on it. They really should have ended it season 3 (as sad as I would have been at the time) or at the latest, when Troy left. It's pretty amazing what the show lost when he left. I didn't care about Pierce and I barely notice Shirley missing but Troy.. every episode.

I missed Troy a lot when this happened too. I think Jeff wins out of this arrangement, he isn't a decent replacement for Troy but Abed is so kind he'll look after him anyway.

Why does Britta have trouble paying rent when she's the only one in that apartment with a job?

Exactly! Maybe Annie charged Britta their entire rent and now she needs the cash because they haven't paid in months.

• Love 1

Didn't she forbid her parents from 'helping' her out again once she found out that they'd been secretly subsidizing her for years?

• Love 1

Didn't she forbid her parents from 'helping' her out again once she found out that they'd been secretly subsidizing her for years?

But we've since seen her work as a bartender, and for awhile as a marketer for Honda. So that's two jobs to Abed and Annie's combined zero. And we saw in the Honda episode she's good at being a bartender.

If they're going to make her the worst they could be consistent about it.

• Love 1

The only thing I can think of (which I thought of after my post above) is that during her time living in her car maybe she had/has a lot of debt. Maybe.. maybe we'll never know and it's just so they can make fun of Britta some more.

My guess is that Britta is just horrible with money. She parties expensively, has no budgeting skills, and gives lavishly to panhandlers. The bar tending job might well pay under the table. I think she'd prefer that, rather than pay taxes to The Man. But that would mean that she never has a whole month's rent at once. A normal person with a low-paying job can use their paycheck to pay rent and then eat macaroni and Ramen for two weeks. But if Britta is just getting paid with a medium-sized handful of cash every shift, it burns a hole through her pocket.

• Love 2

My favorite part of the episode was Jeff's obsession with Chris Pratt. 

I miss both Troy and Shirley; this ep, and every other this season, just feels off balance somehow.

• Love 4

Finally caught up. It took me a while to get into the episode but Annie in that "Scorpion 9" outfit definitely helped! Wow!  Loved Frankie and her steel drumming at the alien bar. I laughed at the end when Chang left the recording studio through the tiny door.

On 4/29/2015 at 8:21 AM, Zahdii said:

Pretty decent show.  I liked that the movie they made was so bad.  Really, they should just put it on YouTube and let people watch it for free.  Like Abed and Troy used to do, there are some people who watch bad films just for the snark.  Maybe someday it'll become a cult classic.  The YouTube ads will garner money for the school. 

I thought the movie was surprisingly good considering what Abed had to work with. And I thought Jeff being upset that he would never leave Greendale worked better then Jeff being upset about being 40.

• Love 1