Type keyword(s) to search

The Grimm Cast in Other Roles

placate

I saw Rosalee on Hell's Kitchen this week, sorry there was no crew in other media thread for me to post about this.  I'm more concerned with 3 cops and a clockmaker go in without probable cause, nearly kill 30+ people but are okay with giving one person a horrid surprise and letting the ME come up with a convincing narrative.

• Love 3

Is anybody planning on seeing Silas Weir Mitchell and Sasha Roiz in Three Days of Rain?  Would love to hear a review, especially for people who aren't in the area.

http://www.pcs.org/threedays/

I wanted to go, but I mentioned it to my husband but he was distinctly unenthusiastic about it.  Sigh....

In a completely unrelated note, I started watching Quarterline on YouTube to see if Bitsie Tulloch is just having trouble with Juliette or if she is all around a bad actress (the only other thing I've seen her in was The Artist and, let's face it, a mannequin could have played her part).  She's pretty good in this, but I get a feeling it is her playing herself....but, I was very pleasantly surprised when Bree Turner showed up in Quarterlife!

I wanted to go, but I mentioned it to my husband but he was distinctly unenthusiastic about it.  Sigh....

Maybe you could go with somebody else.

I think that it's cool that Sasha Roiz and SWM are giving back to Portland.  They could have done a play in LA or NY.  I love that the Grimm cast supports Portland with its Grimm Gala and that Roiz and Giutolli did its Nake Bike Ride.

I'll check out Quarterlife.  I'm no fan of Tulloch, but I'll watch the episode with Bree Turner.

• Love 1

Maybe you could go with somebody else.

I think that it's cool that Sasha Roiz and SWM are giving back to Portland.  They could have done a play in LA or NY.  I love that the Grimm cast supports Portland with its Grimm Gala and that Roiz and Giutolli did its Nake Bike Ride.

I'll check out Quarterlife.  I'm no fan of Tulloch, but I'll watch the episode with Bree Turner.

If you do go for Quarterlife, it is in about 10 minute segments and Bree Turner is on the second or 3rd one....

My best friend took her kids and went to see Three Days of Rain.  "Don't hate me," she says.  Her kids are in their mid twenties, a boy and a girl.  She said they both kind of saw themselves and their relationship in the play.  My mom has a huge crush on SWM, so I told my friend Mom hates you, but I'm fine.  

• Love 2

While he's not in the Grimm cast, his wife is...

Chris Thile (Claire Coffee's husband) will be taking over the Prairie Home Companion radio show in Sept 2016.  This is a weekly and pretty time-intensive thing.  While the show does some touring, the bulk of the weekly live show is done in Minnesota, so I can't see how him staying Portland while doing this show.  So.... I don't know if this will have an impact on our resident hexenbiest or not....

• Love 3

Apparently Bitsie is finding work in PDX.  She just posted a pic of her script in a Portlandia episode.  I've never really been a fan of that show--it just isn't my sense of humor.  But I did manage to watch the episode with Silas (which also featured as an extra a complete a-hole I used to work with.  Thanks for ruining the experience), so I *might* check out Bitsie's performance.

• Love 1

Here's the trailer for the movie DG made over the summer.  I don't actually catch him in the preview (sorry), so I'm not sure how big of a role he actually has.  I'm pretty sure I'll end up seeing this--it is exactly the kind of movie that my husband forces on me from time to time...

Here's another trailer without a Grimm cast member. It's for Bitsie's new movie, Concussion.  While her role is pretty small, I think this movie--thanks to the subject matter and the cast--will be more successful than the one I posted about above...

Here's a whiplash-inducer...

I was catching up with shows on my DVR last night and watched last week's episode of Modern Family and who should I see but the Billy Zane-lookalinke, Rispoli (Philip Anthony-Rodriguez).  He looked exactly the same, but I was so surprised to see him in such a wildly different show that I had to go look it up on IMDB to see if it really was the same person (and it wasn't even his first time on MF!)

I recently watched the movie "Extraordinary Measures" and Robert Blanche played an armed guard in it.  Who's he?  Sgt. Franco. (the sort-of Backup Wu)  Better known as Lt. Bonanno on Leverage.

He also showed up in an episode of Portlandia (as do many extras/bit player/guest stars in Grimm), playing the guy who is an expert figuring out tips.  I think he said more in that one scene than he has in 4 seasons of Grimm.

• Love 1

So, this is a potential place for the cast of Grimm to show up:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/27/tiny-beautiful-things-hbo-reese-witherspoon-cheryl-strayed

I can't find for sure if this will be filmed in Portland, but since Strayed and her husband are writing it--and PDX very actively tries to attract film projects--I think the chances are good.

Since so many guest stars and a few of the regular cast have shown up on Portlandia, I think there is a chance we may see them here as well (if Grimm is still in going when this one starts).

According to IMDB, Bitsie Tulloch is now "uncredited" in Concussion.  From what I understand (and I could be wrong), there are two reasons an actor may be uncredited:

1- It is sort of a big name cameo (think Mark Ruffalo showing up in Iron Man 3)

2 - Their scenes have been cut.

Unless there is another scenario, it looks like BT unfortunately fell victim to #2.  

Other reasons are that it is old, previously aired footage that the actor already got credit for (for TV shows) or the actor's appearance on screen was so brief, as in a few seconds, that it could not be credited under SAG-AFTRA rules.

• Love 1

Other reasons are that it is old, previously aired footage that the actor already got credit for (for TV shows) or the actor's appearance on screen was so brief, as in a few seconds, that it could not be credited under SAG-AFTRA rules.

I doubt they're using old Juliette footage (or any other TV footage), so I guess she's either been cut out completely or cut so much that she doesn't qualify to be credited.  That's unfortunate.

• Love 1

Let's have some fun...because this show sure isn't much fun any more.

I think it is becoming a safer and safer bet that the members of this cast are going to have to update their resumes very soon.  Despite the craptacular shitfest this show has become this year, I still would follow anyone from the cast to another role.  

So, where do you think the Grimm cast will go next?

David Giuntoli - I think either movies or TV are a possibility for him at this point.  Granted, if he went the movie route, he's probably be in the second-billed tier and probably spend most of his time in action movies, at least at first.  As for TV, another lead wouldn't be out of the question, although I'm not sure it would be on one of the big 3 (or 4...do we consider FOX one of the big networks?).  Or, if he wanted to do the ensemble thing, he already has 2 Shonda credits, which according to her track record, means he could easily get more.  Plus Shondaland burps out new shows every season--she has one starting midseason, in fact (and is Quantico one of hers?).  And her current shows tend to have a revolving door for cast members, so there are always openings.  After all, Shonda likes good-looking men with great hair.

Silas Weir MItchell - I love the guy, but I do think he might either need to take a screen-time break or do a palate-cleansing role after Monroe before moving onto something more "regular."  It's not that Monroe is a bad character--right now, it's one of the only good ones on this show--but it is a very "defining" role.  Still, I would love to see him do his own thing--either as a character actor in movies or in his own show.

Russell Hornsby - So, this is a case where I'm not sure if Grimm really helped his career at all.  I mean, he's the second- or third- billed actor, yet his role has done very little over the past 4 and half years.  My guess is moving to another show is his most likely track.

Bree Turner - From what I can tell about her resume, she seems to want to stay in TV and she could easily do comedy or drama.  I don't quite see a network putting her upfront with her own show, but I could see her with a strong second-billed role.

Reggie Lee - I think he could go anywhere, I just hope that he leaves Wu behind  I mean, I like Wu--but Reggie Lee does not need to spend his career playing the snarky Asian over and over again.

Sasha Roiz - He and DG, I think, probably have the most mobility out of this show and I think SR is more willing to do different things.  He seemed to love doing his play this past summer, so maybe he goes back for more theater work.  Or maybe he stays on TV or does films.  Whatever he does, he shouldn't have any trouble finding work.

Claire Coffee - She's interesting in that I think she could easily find another TV role--even with first-billed status (especially if it was comedic), but I'm really not sure that's what she wants.  Her husband is going to be working out of Minnesota in one of the most stable jobs in show business and probably touring when he's not doing that.  Honestly, I see her either joining him somehow or sticking with the popping in and out of recurring roles on various shows.

Jacqueline Toboni - She's so young she could go anywhere.  I just hope her next role isn't the "tough girl" role because, even though she has her entire career in front of her, she's also at a point where she could very easily be put into a mold that will follow her for years.

Bitsie Tulloch - Honestly, I don't know.  Part of it is because, judging by her credits, it doesn't seem like she is even interested in working.  I mean, yes, there is the very real possibility (er, probability) that she IS working right now and we all know what that is....  But her credits really are not that great.  She has 3 recent movies: one is very, very low-budget, one is a very bit part, and one she's been cut out of.  She has one episode of Portlandia (which will be interesting because I haven't seen anything from her that would indicate that comedy is her thing). And her non-Grimm social media posts are limited to: 1 - "Her man" David Giuntoli,  2 - Her cute dog, 3 - Her decorating skills, and 4 - Pictures of her with babies and references to her "future children."   So, who knows?  She's admitted that acting is a career that she just sort of fell into--her plan was to go back for her graduate degree and become an archivist.  For someone who just "happened" into the business, her resume is pretty impressive and I'm sure there are a lot of actors of her age who trained who would kill for her credits.  Maybe, at this point, she's fulfilled being the supportive partner of an actor?

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 2

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/slamdance-festival-competition-lineup-1201649609/

Okay, this looks awesome..with 2 Grimmsters (one doing double duty)....scroll down to "Honey Buddies"

Honey Buddies – Director: Alex Simmons; Screenwriters: Alex Simmons, David Giuntoli, Flula Borg
(USA) World Premiere
Jilted groom David is convinced by his excitable best man Flula to continue with his planned honeymoon, a backcountry trek in the mountains of Oregon, in a highly comedic ode to friendship and the great outdoors.
Cast: David Giuntoli, Flula Borg, Brian T. Finney, Claire Coffee, Jeanne Syquia

Edited by OtterMommy

Holy crap! It's Kenneth...and he looks like he's about to crack up at the stupidity of the commercial.

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/73dM/alka-seltzer-heartburn-relief-chews-fireman-in-the-cafe

Kenneth.  Still with the smirk.  Must be his go-to.

As to the cast's future options outlined by OtterMommy above, I would most like to see Reggie Lee in a comedic role.  Not some stupid sitcom, but something smart like 'Better Call Saul'.  I don't know where David Giuntoli goes, I like him as an everyman type.  Silas will probably be forever Monroe to me, unless he really goes against type successfully.   Of the women, I'm most interested in what Bree Turner does next.  Unlike many, I never got that jazzed about Sasha Roiz (maybe because they never gave him enough to do, though I like him fine).  It's Russell Hornsby who has the most magnetism to me, and I hope he turns up elsewhere sooner than later. 

• Love 2

It was the first clunker episode of this season, I thought.  Bitsie turns out not to have a comedic flair, but she probably couldn't have done much more with a not-too-funny set-up.  She at least showed a little more animation than what I've seen her do on Grimm.

• Love 1

It was the first clunker episode of this season, I thought.  Bitsie turns out not to have a comedic flair, but she probably couldn't have done much more with a not-too-funny set-up.  She at least showed a little more animation than what I've seen her do on Grimm.

Yeah, it was all dull.  I was hoping that she would have something over the top to do, but all she had to do was ride around in a cab.

That being said, that skit was not too far off from my (admittedly limited, but for a good reason) experience with Portland cabs.  Maybe that's why I'm, I don't know if "impressed" is the right word, but not let down by her performance...

ETA: Still, I'd love to see Claire Coffee or Bree Turner do a turn on Portlandia.  

Edited by OtterMommy

Bitsie Tulloch's ep of Portlandia was on tonight.  She was pretty good, although her bit was pretty straight forward (unlike SWM's Portlandia turn).  But I thought the episode as a whole was a snoozefest, though.

I remember seeing SWM on Portlandia playing some kind of mafioso ad foodie/ undercover FBI agent when I was streaming the show on Netflix.

Wow.  Tulloch can't do drama or comedy. 

I remember seeing SWM on Portlandia playing some kind of mafioso ad foodie/ undercover FBI agent when I was streaming the show on Netflix.

I would love a Grimm/Portlandia cross-over. 

I'll have to check his turn on Portlandia.  I can't imagine him in any role other than Monroe.  I never watched Prison Break and I don't know what happened to his character, but I might watch if SWM is a part of the new reboot.

Edited by spaulding

I'll have to check his turn on Portlandia.  I can't imagine him in any role other than Monroe.  I never watched Prison Break and I don't know what happened to his character, but I might watch if SWM is a part of the new reboot.

He's in the "Celery" episode (he plays Corn) in the 6th(?) season....  It's a wacko role in a wacko skit, but he does it well.

Edited by OtterMommy

From the Spice Shop...

Ah, fair enough. Dunno. Honestly, who all on this cast is good enough that we really honestly expect to see them any time soon, though? Not many. 

I could see SWM or Sasha Roiz being the most likely bets to go to something successful quickly after Grimm.  Bree Turner and Claire Coffee did a lot of "guest spots" on TV, so who knows--although I think Claire Coffee may relocate to MN.  Reggie Lee is one of those actors who has played small roles in some big movies, so he may just move to the big screen.  DG is currently promoting the independent film he co-wrote and starred in, so he may also just go to movies.

And despite the complaints about her acting, Bitsie Tulloch is still getting movie roles.  I saw that she's filming a movie next month (what it is and how big a part she has, I don't know....)

IMo, SWM is the most likely one to find a new role fast. I end up seeing him in a lot of older shows (and also Portlandia), so I am confident that he will be the first to find a new role first. 

• Love 1

The movie formerly known as "Honeybuddies" (thank God they changed the name!)

Judging from this trailer, I think Flula probably could have prevented some of the more egregious missteps in season 5 of Grimm....just sayin'....

5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That was Coffee at the campfire, wasn't it?

Yes it was.  Also, the guy asking them about their honeymoon was the Ziegevolk lawyer in that bizarre toad-trading/witness tampering episode.

(edited)

The wacky co-star is German -- Flula Borg. Surely they could find a role for him on Grimm! Apparently he and DG are buddies in real life.

Edited by tpel
  • Love 1