Type keyword(s) to search

The Grimm Cast in Other Roles

placate

(edited)

Honeybuddies - it is essentially Flula Borg as the manic pixie dreamgirl friend of David. They film it at Eagle creek and also some spots in central Oregon. It has David Giuntoli mostly playing himself, and there is an appearance by Adalind in the middle.

Edited by ottilie
22 minutes ago, ottilie said:

Honeybuddies - it is essentially Flula Borg as the manic pixie dreamgirl friend of David. They film it at Eagle creek and also some spots in central Oregon.

It's now called Buddymoon and the trailer is upthread...

I think a big chunk of it was also filmed at Silver Creek Falls.

48 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

Poor Trubel.  And talk about cringeworthy writing. . .

I think she's only in the first episode, but I may watch it...only because I'm still really on the fence about Jacqueline Toboni.  I don't like Trubel, partly because I don't like the performance (and partly because I STILL don't know why she's in this show...), but I'd like to see Toboni in something else.  I can't tell if I don't think she can act or if I don't like her acting choices.

But, yeah...it definitely looks, um, yeah....

• Love 2

I don't mind either the character or the actor.  I know some think she is one Grimm too many, but maybe something about her backstory resonated.  It would be interesting to see how much she is acting, and how much we are just seeing Jacqueline, sort of like David G.  So if it's just the first episode,, maybe I should check in for investigative purposes.  It's going to be months yet before we see any other Grimms.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

I think she's only in the first episode, but I may watch it...only because I'm still really on the fence about Jacqueline Toboni.  I don't like Trubel, partly because I don't like the performance (and partly because I STILL don't know why she's in this show...), but I'd like to see Toboni in something else.  I can't tell if I don't think she can act or if I don't like her acting choices.

But, yeah...it definitely looks, um, yeah....

JT is still on the show because she's part of the younger demo's that advertisers want.  

3 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

I don't mind either the character or the actor.  I know some think she is one Grimm too many, but maybe something about her backstory resonated.  It would be interesting to see how much she is acting, and how much we are just seeing Jacqueline, sort of like David G.  So if it's just the first episode,, maybe I should check in for investigative purposes.  It's going to be months yet before we see any other Grimms.

I liked Trubel's backstory, but still think she wasn't needed after she and Josh left town.  It would have been just as easy for Nick to get an email that Trubel was recruited by the FBI/Chavez and she was going back to school.

18 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

I think IMDB either changed their listing or, more likely, I read it wrong in the first place. She may be on it throughout the series, but I'm still only committing to the first episode (but, then again, I sat through 3 episodes of Fleabag yesterday, so my standards are apparently embarrassingly low).

JT is still on the show because she's part of the younger demo's that advertisers want.  

I do understand that--but it is still crap.  You can't just stick an actor in a show without someone having them serve some purpose to the narrative.  Why is Trubel there? It has been suggested (by fans) that she's somehow related to Nick--although the show really hasn't done much to support that (and I hope it doesn't end up that way--that's just too "neat"), she started as Nick's mentee, but now she knows more and is more effective than he is.  She certainly didn't play the role of "truth teller" in Nick's life last season--by pointing out that maybe, just maybe, he should be more wary of Adalind instead of jumping into bed with her--that she could have.  She's just....there.

It is a little ironic, though, that Toboni was the one cast member that I could "let go of" with this show and not feel like I wanted to watch any further projects...and look what I'm posting about now.  Yup....

I disliked Trubel a lot at the beginning. It wasn't so much that I couldn't see the purpose of the character. Actually, I think the addition of someone for Nick to mentor could have worked; it would mark Nick's transition from wide-eyed newbie to a Grimm with a couple of years under his belt who might have some wisdom to share. The problems were: (1) at first, she was terribly written, as if the writers couldn't decide whether she was supposed to be 16 or early twenties; (2) she was the stereotypical badass chick, more of a male-fantasy caricature than a character; (3) said mentoring didn't really happen all that much. But she grew on me. I like her understated competence and her fierce devotion to those who show any kindness to her. While I don't think JT is the best actor on the show, she is definitely not the worst. So I would be intrigued to see her in a role that is very unlike Trubel. 

I honestly think Trubel/JT was brought on if DG decided to leave after s3 and they transitioned the show over to her.  It reminds me of how Josh Wedon had a couple of vampire slayers show up around s3 or s4 when there were rumors SMG was thinking about leaving her role.

57 minutes ago, Darklazr said:

I honestly think Trubel/JT was brought on if DG decided to leave after s3 and they transitioned the show over to her.  It reminds me of how Josh Wedon had a couple of vampire slayers show up around s3 or s4 when there were rumors SMG was thinking about leaving her role.

Replying in the Trubel thread...

So, I watched the first 2 episodes of Easy.  The good news is that JT is only in one episode.  The bad news is that I found out the hard way that it is the second episode ("Vegan Cinderella").  This show is terrible!  And, the episode JT was in was pretty bad--it seemed like an attempt at a serious Portlandia skit (with some really disturbing short clips of animal cruelty thrown in).  Luckily, if you do want to see JT in this, her episode can be seen as a standalone.

Now, I've been saying some not great things about JT's acting--and I stand by what I said in Grimm.  Here, she is actually pretty great.  She seems far more natural and relaxed that she does as Trubel (and I don't mean that "Trubel" should be more relaxed...I mean when I watch her play Trubel, it feels like I'm watching someone trying to play a role.  Here, she actually seems like the character) and was actually pretty likable.  While I do wish she would work on modulating her voice a bit more, this is still a great improvement over Grimm.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

So, I watched the first 2 episodes of Easy.  The good news is that JT is only in one episode.  The bad news is that I found out the hard way that it is the second episode ("Vegan Cinderella").  This show is terrible!  And, the episode JT was in was pretty bad--it seemed like an attempt at a serious Portlandia skit (with some really disturbing short clips of animal cruelty thrown in).  Luckily, if you do want to see JT in this, her episode can be seen as a standalone.

Now, I've been saying some not great things about JT's acting--and I stand by what I said in Grimm.  Here, she is actually pretty great.  She seems far more natural and relaxed that she does as Trubel (and I don't mean that "Trubel" should be more relaxed...I mean when I watch her play Trubel, it feels like I'm watching someone trying to play a role.  Here, she actually seems like the character) and was actually pretty likable.  While I do wish she would work on modulating her voice a bit more, this is still a great improvement over Grimm.

Thanks for saving me the time, the clip looked like rubbish and I don't abide stooping to animal cruelty, but nice to know that JT acquitted herself well.  Funny, though, that she worked well in one crapfest but not so much in the one we love/hate. 

• Love 1
On 9/22/2016 at 4:37 PM, ShadowFacts said:

Thanks for saving me the time, the clip looked like rubbish and I don't abide stooping to animal cruelty, but nice to know that JT acquitted herself well.  Funny, though, that she worked well in one crapfest but not so much in the one we love/hate. 

I think that goes to show that the problems with Trubel are due more to writing and directing than acting.  As I said, I stand by my complaints but, honestly, I'm not sure any other actress could play Trubel any better than Toboni.

• Love 1

http://deadline.com/2016/11/seven-seconds-russell-hornsby-zakary-momoh-raul-castillo-netflix-crime-drama-1201856550/

With NBC’s Grimm wrapping production soon on its sixth and final season, co-star Russell Hornsby has lined up his next series gig, a regular role in the 10-episode Netflix crime drama Seven Seconds.

I stopped watching this show a while back (End of season 4 after getting tired of the Juliette shenanigans), but it's great that Hornsby has got a new show lined up.

• Love 3
On 11/18/2016 at 5:24 AM, anamika said:

http://deadline.com/2016/11/seven-seconds-russell-hornsby-zakary-momoh-raul-castillo-netflix-crime-drama-1201856550/

I stopped watching this show a while back (End of season 4 after getting tired of the Juliette shenanigans), but it's great that Hornsby has got a new show lined up.

Well, like you I have been dropping this show. Once and then I started to watch again, then I just dropped it again (I have promised myself that I will catch up to it). For me, I can't take the Renard/evil girl/Blackclaw seriously enough or to just enjoy it as a mindless treat either. It just eats at me but I do want to finish this show, (sigh) I will find the time, before January, to watch it and then be ready to watch the last few episodes. 

14 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

Well, like you I have been dropping this show. Once and then I started to watch again, then I just dropped it again (I have promised myself that I will catch up to it). For me, I can't take the Renard/evil girl/Blackclaw seriously enough or to just enjoy it as a mindless treat either. It just eats at me but I do want to finish this show, (sigh) I will find the time, before January, to watch it and then be ready to watch the last few episodes. 

The bolded part is what bugs me about this show.  Renard showed real growth once Nick learned his real identity and then they had him bang that stupid Juliette and his involvement with Rachel was stupid, AF.  

10 hours ago, Darklazr said:

The bolded part is what bugs me about this show.  Renard showed real growth once Nick learned his real identity and then they had him bang that stupid Juliette and his involvement with Rachel was stupid, AF.  

Yeah, I am upset that they decided to make him an actual villain for the last season. I mean I kind of liked his not 100% on Nick's side but the man seemed reasonable, at least for Seasons 3-5 (part of Season 5). I am also a pissed and gross out that they are trying to hammer in the Nick and Adaline love story. I didn't like Juliette, but I can understand her being his love interest, but since they decided to add that whole rape storyline (that they are never going to acknowledge that it was rape, btw)  and then try to pair the two up was a disaster. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

Yeah, I am upset that they decided to make him an actual villain for the last season. I mean I kind of liked his not 100% on Nick's side but the man seemed reasonable, at least for Seasons 3-5 (part of Season 5). I am also a pissed and gross out that they are trying to hammer in the Nick and Adaline love story. I didn't like Juliette, but I can understand her being his love interest, but since they decided to add that whole rape storyline (that they are never going to acknowledge that it was rape, btw)  and then try to pair the two up was a disaster. 

Renard as the villain makes no sense at all, because once he was finally clued in MONTHS later that Black Claw was in town and a threat he was working with Nick and Hank.  Renard even tried to tell Eve about his meeting with Rachel when she hopped into his SVU and she blew him off.   Nik and Adalind never made sense, because she raped him, period.  I am glad that Hank never forgave Adalind and Nik should have followed suit.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Darklazr said:

Renard as the villain makes no sense at all, because once he was finally clued in MONTHS later that Black Claw was in town and a threat he was working with Nick and Hank.  Renard even tried to tell Eve about his meeting with Rachel when she hopped into his SVU and she blew him off.   Nik and Adalind never made sense, because she raped him, period.  I am glad that Hank never forgave Adalind and Nik should have followed suit.

Yeah, I wish it was just Renard going undercover but they seem to be making out to be that he turned on them, because he likes power. I mean mayor of Portland would probably be a great thing but it's not like he is going after the Oregon's governorship or anything. It's just mayor and really Portland has only one Mayor and its-Kyle MacLachlan from Portlandia

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

Yeah, I wish it was just Renard going undercover but they seem to be making out to be that he turned on them, because he likes power. I mean mayor of Portland would probably be a great thing but it's not like he is going after the Oregon's governorship or anything. It's just mayor and really Portland has only one Mayor and its-Kyle MacLachlan from Portlandia

I think the original plan was for Renard to go undercover when he was in bed with Rachel and was manipulating her into giving him a family (aka Diana) and when he tried to keep Meisner from being killed.  The best plan, IMO was for Renard to have been working on the sly with Meisner and move up the BSC chain of command.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Darklazr said:

I think the original plan was for Renard to go undercover when he was in bed with Rachel and was manipulating her into giving him a family (aka Diana) and when he tried to keep Meisner from being killed.  The best plan, IMO was for Renard to have been working on the sly with Meisner and move up the BSC chain of command.

It would be interesting if that was the case and that Juliette knows about it too because yeah, I seriously want Renard to be just working a deep cover. 

Posted by @Prevailing Wind in the spoilers thread...

I recently watched the first season of "The Librarians" and they did a 'fairy tales come to life' episode (also filmed in Portland) that was really good. As I was watching, I kept thinking THIS is how Grimm should be written.  But then, it's done by the Leverage guys, so, yeah, I'm gonna love it even without Hutton. I kept waiting for Danny Bruno to show up, though.

Between you and me, I'd bet money that Danny Bruno will show up on The Librarians soon (well, if that show is still on?  Is it?)  My guess is that there might have been something in Bruno's contract that kept him from appearing in another similar show filmed in Portland while Grimm was still on.  Now that the end is near for Grimm, I wouldn't be surprised if Bruno found some employment, even as a guest on that show.  He's a local actor, which is a plus...and he has a bit of a following...AND this would be an ample opportunity for The Librarians to attract some of the Grimm audience.

All that being said, I probably should give "The Librarians" another try.  I watched the first episode and found it kind of silly--but that was when Grimm was still watchable.  My standards are lower now...

• Love 1
3 hours ago, spaulding said:

I want the supporting cast to get better jobs after this Grimm fiasco.

David Giuntoli already has a new show.  He's playing an astronaut on Mission Control.

20 hours ago, jhlipton said:

David Giuntoli already has a new show.  He's playing an astronaut on Mission Control.

There's already a bit of controversy swirling because the character was originally written for an African-American actor to portray him (the female lead was supposed to be Latina, but a Caucasian actress was cast), so there are complaints of whitewashing.

27 minutes ago, BlueSapphire said:

There's already a bit of controversy swirling because the character was originally written for an African-American actor to portray him (the female lead was supposed to be Latina, but a Caucasian actress was cast), so there are complaints of whitewashing.

There's a question as to whether the Nigerian woman and the Hispanic man  who have been cast will be "leads" or "regulars".  CBS should have announced them first.

(edited)
On 3/31/2017 at 9:23 PM, johntfs said:

Bitsie Tulloch and Sebastian Roché are in something called We Love You, Sally Carmichael.  Christpher Gorham and Jack McBrayer are also in this thing, so I'll definitely check it out.

Elizabeth (she'll always be Bitsie to me) Tulloch, a bunch of people I've never heard of, Perez Hilton, and a concept from the 50's.  No thanks.

Edited by jhlipton

Russel Hornsby is getting great reviews for his role in  the movie The Hate U Give.  He plays the role of "Man" Carter, the father of the main character.   I haven't seen the movie yet, but I read the book and thought it was really great.