Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Drinks At Quark's

I converted the show request into the Small Talk thread for the show -- a social thread and not generally for specific show discussion.

Please feel free to start new threads for characters, episodes, media mentions, actors, etc.

If you (collectively) would like to change/add the name of the Small Talk thread jokey bit just figure it out amongst yourselves and then email david@previously.tv and he'll change it.

Welcome! So, the Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies
This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
  • Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  • Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  • If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!
Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):
  • Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea
Happy trails beyond Small Talk!
But shouldn't it go up to 13 to match the 26 hour days on Bajor and DS9?

Damnit, so that's where I nicked that from! Thing is, I'm a writer. Sometimes I don't remember what my 'influences' were. Sigh. Maybe those aliens need a 27 hour day...

I'm not a big Star Trek fan. But I've been watching Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise for the past couple of months on H&I. This week I'm getting Netflix back, had some technical difficulties with a move, screwed up smart tv, getting a Roku this week and will be making changes, so I may not continue to watch these. 

But sometimes, I have questions about something that happened, and I have no clue which episode or season and little desire to search out and find that information. I wish there was a place to ask a general question. I don't usually even bother because it is too much bother and I'm not a die hard fan, this is not a re-watch for me, my ex-husband watched them when they first came on, but I wasn't interested.

So this may not be the best place, go ahead and slap my hand if you need to. I watched Deep Space Nine on H&I tonight, the episode was fun, it was a clever mix (my opinion) with the original Star Trek, "The Trouble With Tribbles". I did watch a lot of original series in reruns in the 70s and 80s before VCRs and Cable television. And that is such a fun episode. In tonight's mix, O'Brien, Worf and Dr. Brashears are in the mess of the Enterprise and there are Klingon, they were not so distinctive in the original series as they are in the later versions, I don't know about the movies, I saw the first one on opening night, waited over 2 hours in freezing cold weather, our 10 PM tickets became Midnight show, lights went down, I went out, slept through it and have only half watched The Wrath of Khan. Back to the episode, O'Brien and Brashears are surprised by the appearance of the Klingons and ask Worf what happened, he said it was something they don't like to talk about with outsiders. I had to go to the bathroom, then had to put the dog out, so I missed a few minutes. Did Worf ever explain? Overall, it was a light hearted episode, I enjoyed it.

That was "Trials and Tribble-ations" where the crew is thrown back in time and becomes mixed up in the the TOS episode "The Trouble With Tribbles"  It was done as part of the 30th Anniversary of Star Trek (and far superior to Voyager's effort, "Flashback").  

No, there was no further discussion after Worf's "We do not discuss it with outsiders".    Which was the joke.   There were many fan theories about the change in appearance but it had never been addressed on screen.  At least at that point.   A 3 episode arc in Enterprise's fourth season finally explains the difference.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Maverick said:

That was "Trials and Tribble-ations" where the crew is thrown back in time and becomes mixed up in the the TOS episode "The Trouble With Tribbles"  It was done as part of the 30th Anniversary of Star Trek (and far superior to Voyager's effort, "Flashback").  

No, there was no further discussion after Worf's "We do not discuss it with outsiders".    Which was the joke.   There were many fan theories about the change in appearance but it had never been addressed on screen.  At least at that point.   A 3 episode arc in Enterprise's fourth season finally explains the difference.

Yes it was a fun episode. And honestly, it probably would have been best left at "we do not discuss it with outsiders" and letting the fans have fun speculating about the in universe explanation for the limitations of makeup in TOS.

• Love 1

Maverick and wknt3, thank you for your answers. I guess if I happen to catch it on Enterprise and am paying attention, I'll figure it out. They finished up Enterprise last week and have started over. I did noticed there were a lot of 3 part arcs. It's on so late, that I frequently fade in and out, so I miss things. And 21 Jump Street is on after, I rarely see the ending.

I really wouldn't worry too much. It wasn't a particularly good story which is probably because it was all about explaining something that didn't need to be explained. At great length and without much payoff IMHO.

5 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Maverick and wknt3, thank you for your answers. I guess if I happen to catch it on Enterprise and am paying attention, I'll figure it out. They finished up Enterprise last week and have started over. I did noticed there were a lot of 3 part arcs. It's on so late, that I frequently fade in and out, so I miss things. And 21 Jump Street is on after, I rarely see the ending.

Let me give you the short answer:  About ten years before the Federation was founded, Enterprise ran across a species known as the Augments, who were the creation of the ancestor of the man who would later create the android Data.  Their creator had been experimenting with eugenics as a way of producing a super race of humans (Khan was one result of that experiment), and the Klingons somehow got hold of his research and tried to replicate his efforts in their own species.  The Klingons' experiment didn't work, but it did have one important side-effect:  It altered the Klingons' genetic structure so as to erase their characteristic forehead ridges, and it was discovered that this genetic mutation would take at least a couple of centuries to reverse, so several generations of Klingons were born without the head ridges.  Klingons don't discuss this with non-Klingons because their catastrophic failure to advance themselves through science so humiliated them that it's been something they've been trying to forget ever since.

Edited by legaleagle53
On 12/23/2016 at 2:15 PM, iMonrey said:

TNG is the least serialized of the spin-offs. You can pretty much just jump in anywhere and start watching. That's less true of DS9 and Voyager. Those, you pretty much need to start from the very beginning - especially DS9. I've been unable to get back into DS9 for the most part because I wasn't aware of the H&I channel until it and Voyager were already in their second or third seasons. I caught a two parter this week for DS9 and had a hard time remembering what the storyline was. That show was deliberately serialized. I look forward to them starting over again on H&I  (assuming they do) so I can watch them from the beginning.

I didn't realize it until rewatching this summer, but you really don't need to much of the first to seasons, other than Emissary, The Jem'Hadar and maybe In the Hands of the Prophets.   I knew the Dominion plot didn't start until the second season finale, but I thought there had been more one with Sisko being the Emissary.   But it's barely mentioned and when it is it's not a big deal...certainly not like it is in later seasons where Starfleet openly states their dislike for Sisko holding the title, where Kira has discussions with Sikso about his role and Sisko's role gives him more sway in Bajor rebuilding and future.  I also thought Garak and Dukat appeared more in the first two seasons but while the Cardassians drive a lot plot in those seasons, Garak and Dukat barely appear.

Something was amazing was how much of Jadzir's background and family was talked about so much, but we never saw her mother and outside the woman who was Dax's host when they were married. We had so much done in just one episode with Ezrie's family. I get they had just a season to do all this character work with Dax, but outside of Jadzir's dating to marriage with Worf. I felt that they stalled her character development for almost two years. Something I think went on too long was Kai Winn's final end. I felt she did enough crap for almost two years and yet still remained in power. I know both Rick Berman and Michael Piller was trying to compare her as a politician that keeps doing stupid and illegal stuff and to the point the Pai Wraiths were opening their hands to her. However, I think it would have been more interesting if her story would have ended about two years earlier. Especially when Dominion was running DS9. Was her ending fitting? Sure, but I know several friends of mine who were big fans said: "That took too long to get there."

I think Dukat's final arc was clunky.  I didn't care for intertwining him with Winn's plot (I don't think they had a previous relationship) and I hated how both of them where shuffled into their own plot bubble that disappeared for episodes at a time in the final arc and was resolved almost as an afterthought.  Dukat in particular was such a massive part of the Dominion storyline and leaving him out of the end.

As for Ezri, ugh.   They spent way too much time on her character in the final season of a show that had so many threads to tie up.   That episode where we meet her family was painfully boring and such a waste of time (as was the one where she's trying to track down the serial killer and we have to revisit the Joran mess again).   I still think it was a mistake to add Dax's next host as a regular character given how late in the series it was.  They should have had her as a guest in the opening arc to help Sisko and have her recur after that.  Then they could have brought in Dax's replacement as science officer as a minor recurring character as well.

13 hours ago, readster said:

I know both Rick Berman and Michael Piller was trying to compare her as a politician that keeps doing stupid and illegal stuff and to the point the Pai Wraiths were opening their hands to her.

A better comparison -- and one that Louise Fletcher herself made -- is that Kai Winn was like the Bajoran Pope, except that her Pope was more like many of the Popes of the Middle Ages who were notoriously corrupt (Boniface VIII comes readily to mind).

• Love 1