Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, mojoween said:

I met my hubby in '94 so the Reds and A's championship seasons predate our glorious union.

Obviously you're Gone-Girling him, he must be incapacitated somehow.  Poor guy, married to a Yankees fan!  (KNOCK THREE TIMES LOUDLY IF YOU CAN HEAR US, MR MOJO!!!)

• Love 4

More suggestions for Mets statues -

The closers-that-give-you-agita statue, featuring Anthony Young (tack on your personal favorite, Braden Looper, Armando Benitez, etc, etc, etc...)
Vince Coleman throwing firecrackers in the parking lot
Brett Saberhagen spraying bleach on reporters in the locker room (alternate: Brett Saberhagen in a strip club at 3 a.m.)
Lenny Dykstra eating a bowl of Wheaties sprinkled with steroids
Virtually the entire '86 team getting drunk and doing blow
Gregg Jeffries complaining that nobody likes him
David Cone dropping trou and going "showtime" in the bullpen

I've been a Met fan for over 30 years, I could do this all night...

1 hour ago, DXD526 said:

The closers-that-give-you-agita statue, featuring Anthony Young

Awww, I felt for Anthony Young and his serious run of bad luck and remember when he finally got in the win column and some fans handed him a bouquet of flowers.

• Love 1
(edited)

Carhartt, the workwear company, already has a deal with Madison Bumgarner, that they donate $500 to charity for every strikeout.  They are now trying to get MLB to put Bumgarner into the All Star Game Home Run Derby, and they say they'll donate $1000 for every homer he hits in the Derby.

Edited by Rick Kitchen
  • Love 2

Ouch.  My head hearts just from looking at the video of the incident and I hope Emmels makes a full recovery.

You know I can bitch about umpires with the best of them but damn, they can really be in a vulnerable position behind the plate like that.  I certainly wouldn't want to see anyone get hurt.

• Love 2

I wonder if some umps are going to start wearing helmets after this.

I was at a Little League game a few years ago where the batter fouled back a pitch that caught the ump square in the throat. He went down like a ton of bricks, and he was a big guy. I'd never seen anything like that "live" before, and it was very scary. Hope Emmels is ok.

30 minutes ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Anaheim Stadium is decorated in Christmas ornaments for six months till Christmas Eve.

That's just horrifyingly bad decision-making. I want to say they did something like this just for one night last year - but it seems their suck-itude this year is making them wish for the season to end quickly.  And in poor taste since it'll be like 100* for the next two months.

Man, that Astros/Royals last night was brutal. That poor Royals pitcher's ERA took a huge dump from that first inning alone. Springer hit a triple AND a grand slam, that's my boy.

Jose Reyes got signed by the Mets, and they shipped him to Brooklyn. Aside from Rusty Staub and maybe Ed Charles, has any second tour of duty with the Mets ever worked out? I mean, the Mets are in dire need of pop, but the spousal abuser? There's gonna be carnage on Coney Island.

Forget to mention . . . a few weeks ago, the Mets visited Milwaukee. I was unaware that the old Brewers logo has an "MB" posing as a glove. Very clever.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I hate to say it, but the unis the Mets are wearing tonight look like PJs.

I put the game on late - did they explain why they are wearing such garish uniforms?

51 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

the Mets are in dire need of pop, but the spousal abuser? There's gonna be carnage on Coney Island.

Forget to mention . . . a few weeks ago, the Mets visited Milwaukee. I was unaware that the old Brewers logo has an "MB" posing as a glove. Very clever.

Ha! Can "The Spousal Abuser" fit on the back of his uni?

And- that old style Brewers "MB" is CLASSIC.  I have a friend who is a Packers/ Brewers fan and can only forgive him for all the old Brewers caps and jerseys since they rock.

12 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

I figure those were Negro League throwback uniforms.

It was a Negro League Tribute game and both teams were wearing tribute uniforms.  Though I don't know why this was the tribute day.

• Love 1

Meanwhile, the Reyes signing made the front cover of the News, while Lenny Dykstra got the Post's cover for revelations he made. I gave up on the Post years ago, for reasons I shan't go into here. Not a fun time to be a Mets fan, especially with series against the Nationals and Cubs on the horizon.

Thinking about statues . . . I only remember those from Camden Yards (a few) and Wrigley Field (Harry Carey). Does anybody have favorites, or are we past that now?

ETA: In second runs with the Mets, I forgot Lee Mazilli being brought into the fold in 1986.

Watching the umpire in the Astros/Royals game was like watching Leslie Nielsen in The Naked Gun. And then this tweet showed up to articulate it for me. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Today's game against the Phillies was SO fun! My bro-in-law caught a foul ball barehanded and they showed us on the TV broadcast! (I always record games when I attend just in case ;) )

Edited by MattDuffysCat
  • Love 6

Greetings from Wichita.  It's been a very long day as I had to wake up at 3:00 this morning in order to catch a 6:00AM flight to Dallas and then connect on but I'm still awake and watching the Royals on a local channel.   As a lifelong east coast resident the 6:05 CDT start time of many of the games tonight seemed so weird to me.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Greetings from Wichita.  It's been a very long day as I had to wake up at 3:00 this morning in order to catch a 6:00AM flight to Dallas and then connect on but I'm still awake and watching the Royals on a local channel.   As a lifelong east coast resident the 6:05 CDT start time of many of the games tonight seemed so weird to me.

But most games in the  Central time zone start at 7PMish CST.   The Royals started at 7:15.

4 hours ago, pete said:

But most games in the  Central time zone start at 7PMish CST.   The Royals started at 7:15.

Yes. but all of the east coast games were 6:00 PMish starts here in Wichita and I'm not used to that.

I think it'll be a thing when it happens to Bartolo Colon. What would it take for Bart to contemplate chugging to third? I'm thinking a situation involving all three outfielders getting into a nasty collision.

Aim, it's just odd that YOU have never been off of east coast time. Not that ballgames start at "6pm" on your body clock.

When I first moved west, what was crazy was football starting at 10am. But I've even gotten used to that.

I haven't been able to watch the Astros @ Angels because it starts at 9pm. Central. I was able to watch about an hour before I had to go to bed. The game ended at almost 1am. 

2 hours ago, King of Birds said:

Aim, it's just odd that YOU have never been off of east coast time. Not that ballgames start at "6pm" on your body clock.

When I first moved west, what was crazy was football starting at 10am. But I've even gotten used to that.

When I moved East, I felt like it was forever before the damn games started at 1 PM.  :)

16 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Yes. but all of the east coast games were 6:00 PMish starts here in Wichita and I'm not used to that.

Sorry I misunderstood since you mentioned the Royals.

• Love 1
(edited)

Lenny Dykstra is on Mike and Mike this morning. He still claims that he is truly a financial genius with a 575 and 1 record when picking stocks.

Still out there trying to scam people despite that conviction for fraud.

OK, this interview just got crazier. Now he's claiming that he had people follow umpires so he could get info to blackmail them during the game.

Edited by xaxat

I'm glad that they explained why he sounded like that, because he lost his teeth.  At least he acknowledged that he shouldn't have been in jail in the first place.

Joe Maddon was a refreshing change of pace.  "Jake Arrieta is a cyborg."  Ha!

(edited)

Ho.Lee.Shit what a comeback!  I'd changed the channel about the fifth inning, and turned it back just as McCann hit the tying homer. 

Now I'm too keyed up to sleep. :)

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 1

Probably wouldn't be as wild as those announcers from Iceland.

I'm convinced that if Daniel Murphy had stayed with the Mets, he would have ruptured stuff in his arms and legs we would have never known before. Before that, he'd hit .180 and get caught in a tub of PEDs. And goats. And Lenny Dykstra.

• Love 3

Clayton Kershaw is on the DL, but with the All Star Break coming up, if it's just a 15 day DL, he might miss only a couple of starts.

Madison Bumgarner will be batting tonight in Oakland, instead of the Giants using a DH.

Reminds me of the Mets' final regular season game in 1999 against the Pirates. They loaded the bases in the ninth for Mike Piazza, and people were all, "This is why they're paying him big bucks." He saw one pitch from the reliever . . . a wild one that plated the winning run, keeping the Mets in the postseason picture.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Madison Bumgarner will be batting tonight in Oakland, instead of the Giants using a DH.

So can Oakland still use a DH, or will their pitcher have to hit?