Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Apparently, Terry Collins did not get the memo about pitching to Giancarlo Stanton. Four homers in two days? The Mets are lucky to have taken two out of three from the Marlins.

• Love 1
On July 3, 2016 at 6:04 AM, smittykins said:

Yeah, as soon as I heard "experiencing symptoms of thoracic outlet syndrome" I was like, jeez, guy can't catch a break. :(

(Sorry, can't figure out how to get rid of that box above.)

4 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

AN FYI to all Pittsburgh fans:

Doc Emerick is calling the Pirates game on MLB Network tonight.  (With an assist from Bob Costas)

Aside from my Cutch love I'm really not a Pirates fan but I am a Costas and Emrick fan.  Thanks for the heads up!

(edited)

Woohoo Belt won the NL Final Vote! Baby Girafffe finally gets to attend his first AS game. And with Buster + Cueto starting, I think the NL's got a good shot of winning. ;)

I'm just going to ignore that there's so many freaking Cubs on the starting roster. They better actually play well, popularity be damned.

Edited by MattDuffysCat
  • Love 3

It's so satisfying to get a tying homer after the Napolean-complex umpire ejects your manager! Don't throw at or behind our star player, Dbacks. And your ridiculously ugly uniforms make you look all like little league umpires. 

Which begs me to ask the question, which teams do you think have the worst uniforms (home or away)? I think the Rockies are up there with the Dbacks with a couple of their outfits.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, MattDuffysCat said:

It's so satisfying to get a tying homer after the Napolean-complex umpire ejects your manager! Don't throw at or behind our star player, Dbacks. And your ridiculously ugly uniforms make you look all like little league umpires. 

Which begs me to ask the question, which teams do you think have the worst uniforms (home or away)? I think the Rockies are up there with the Dbacks with a couple of their outfits.

Astros, because nobody should wear orange but the Giants.  Especially at a home Friday game.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, MattDuffysCat said:

Which begs me to ask the question, which teams do you think have the worst uniforms (home or away)?

Worst? Not sure.  BEST?  I think this is right up there!  Imagine this on Bartolo.

070816-Buzzer-West-Michigan-Whitecaps-Han-Solo.vadapt.664.high.1.jpg

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Astros, because nobody should wear orange but the Giants.  Especially at a home Friday game.

Um... and the Os!   I'm ready for an all orange and black World Series.  Someday.  Maybe.

Worst uniform is anything that involves the color described as "teal".

The amazing spectacle that has been the NBA trade-a-thon the last week has distracted me from my beloved Giants and yet with the strangeness and quark of their bullpen and the endless list of the wounded/missing in action, we begin the All Star break leading the division. It is indeed an even year.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, isalicat said:

Worst uniform is anything that involves the color described as "teal".

The amazing spectacle that has been the NBA trade-a-thon the last week has distracted me from my beloved Giants and yet with the strangeness and quark of their bullpen and the endless list of the wounded/missing in action, we begin the All Star break leading the division. It is indeed an even year.

Not just the division! They have the best record in baseball! Meanwhile they're onto the 3rd and 4th guys on the depth chart for a few positions. Pretty amazing.

• Love 1
(edited)

Worst:

Jersey:  Anything the DBacks wear on the road, the Padres yellow and brown fugliness. 

Caps:  The Fourth of July ones, the Pirates Sunday Caps

Overall Uniform:  Anything with pinstripes

Best:

Jerseys:  The Washington Nationals Blue Jerseys with the Patriotic Curly W, The Padres Camo Jerseys, The Royals Gold Friday Home 

Edited by jennifer6973
  • Love 1

Did not occur to me until later that San Diego is the place where Bartolo homered. But they'll be using a DH, right? Pity.

ETA: I like the idea of the Mets wearing throwbacks from the 1986 season during Sunday home games, with the pinstripes and the blue/orange piping on the sides. And they modeled a patch on the 25th anniversary thing that was worn back then.

So let's see.  Angel Pagan got cleats to the head.  Diamondbacks third baseman had a ball bounce off his head when he lost it in the sun. Posey threw the ball back to Peavey, who wasn't paying attention, and it hit him in the chest and bounced into his glove. Javier Lopez got up out of the dugout to jog out to the bull pen and fell down.  What more can happen in this game?

(edited)

That Posey throw to Peavy was hilarious! I mean luckily it didn't hit him in the head, but I like how he didn't even react. And I like that he's pretty much blind but can still hit. The Javi stumble out of the dugout was pretty hilarious too. He made clumsy look smooth.

ETA: It all started with the lady who lost $70 worth of food and drinks trying to catch that foul ball. :D

Edited by MattDuffysCat

"Napoleon Complex umpire" . . . is that the guy who ejected Thor and Terry at the game I visited?

Speaking of Thor . . .he and Cespedes are out of the ASG. Of course. I need to get to bed early, so of course the two Mets I'd expect to make it in the game early are injured. I'd be surprised if Terry trots Bartolo out. Maybe if there's a blowout from either team.

(edited)

The shortie umpire who is ejection-happy is Quinn Wolcott. Who according to google, is apparently only 4 days older than me. For some reason I always assumed MLB umpires were at least in their mid-30s and older. Maybe their outfits make them look older. I think the one who ejected Thor & Terry was another ump. I think every pitcher should throw behind Utley, personally. Hate the guy. 

23 games over .500! Woot.

Edited by MattDuffysCat
30 minutes ago, MattDuffysCat said:

The shortie umpire who is ejection-happy is Quinn Wolcott. Who according to google, is apparently only 4 days older than me. For some reason I always assumed MLB umpires were at least in their mid-30s and older.

Oh hell, Wolcott just turned 30???  Umpires are supposed to be gray, grizzled, grumpy old men (save for Doug Harvey, he was so cute grandpa looking) and not young enough to be my child!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Oh hell, Wolcott just turned 30???  Umpires are supposed to be gray, grizzled, grumpy old men (save for Doug Harvey, he was so cute grandpa looking) and not young enough to be my child!

Yep! I guess he's currently the youngest umpire in the MLB. It makes it even more funny to see him ejecting people, knowing he's my age! Must be a power trip. But he could give warnings first, before ejecting. Lame.

4 minutes ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Just a few of the highlights of yesterday's weird Giants game.  This doesn't even show Pagan getting spiked in the head.

Oh, well, nm, the video won't post.  :(

Is it the video with all the gifs? Yesterday was such a hilarious game!

As for today's game.... ahhh Blanco! At least it was counted as an error, not a hit. 11 strikeouts so far...

• Love 1

Note to Mets fans: Don't look at the statistics showing Daniel Murphy's stats at the break last year and those against the Mets this year. I think he should join Giancarlo Staton on the "Do Not Pitch To Under Any Circumstances" list.

The Mets are jinxed. Not jinxed-jinxed like the Cubs, but second-tier jinxed. If they didn't trade Nolan Ryan to the Angels, his career would have ended around 1975, and he would have to pay admission to visit the Hall of Fame.

Three more RBIs for Brandon "not-an-All-Star" Crawford. 

Seriously, that Addison Russell kid better have the performance of his life at the All-Star game. Otherwise, what a shame and a sham. I mean I know the All-Star game is just a popularity contest essentially, but geez. But hey, everyone can keep underestimating BCraw, he thrives off of being overlooked. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, xaxat said:

When was the last time a player tormented his former team like Daniel Murphy is doing with the Mets this year?

(OPS north of 1.33 against them.)

I got the answer listening to Mike & Mike this morning. Never.

Murphy has more home runs and RBIs than any player against his former team at the All Star break. And he's a big part of the reason the Nats need the Mets headed into the break.

16 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Did Bumgarner decide that a trip to San Diego wasn't worth it?

The New York Mets: "At least we're better than the Yankees. For now, anyway."

No, he's still going. His manager just decided that it was more important that he finish off the regular season than he pitch an inning or two in the All-Star Game, which is fine. He pitched in the game last year and it's his 4th consecutive trip, so he can just go down to San Diego, wave at the camera and hang out. He's due to start for the Giants again on Friday on regular rest, so it's all working out. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, rippleintime17 said:

No, he's still going. His manager just decided that it was more important that he finish off the regular season than he pitch an inning or two in the All-Star Game, which is fine. He pitched in the game last year and it's his 4th consecutive trip, so he can just go down to San Diego, wave at the camera and hang out. He's due to start for the Giants again on Friday on regular rest, so it's all working out. 

It's too bad he didn't make the Home Run Derby.  :)

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, mojoween said:

If the ASG is in San Diego, how come there is a DH?

Plus, MLB went off-schedule due to the "build a ballpark and get the ASG" and many of the recent parks have been NL, not AL.

I have a feeling some people here aren't gonna like Todd Frazier.

3 minutes ago, Rick Kitchen said:

It's too bad he didn't make the Home Run Derby.  :)

I just read that Todd Frazier was asked about it and said he didn't think it would be a good idea. What, is he nervous Madison would hit more dingers than him?

25 minutes ago, mojoween said:

If the ASG is in San Diego, how come there is a DH?

It's also an AL home game because of the ASG being in NL parks for four consecutive years, even if the DH thing wasn't a general ASG thing.