Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Today is the 37th anniversary of Bucky freaking Dent. Good times.

My sister once voted for Bucky Dent on the All-Star ballot because "he has a cute butt."  It's a good thing I love my sister.

• Love 1

It's nice that MLBTV is free this weekend.  I turned on the Cubs-Brewers perfect game just in time to see the Brewers get a hit.  

And now I'm bouncing back and forth between the O's and the Nats.  Just ... because  (It's painful that I have to watch any of the Nats game because Bob and FP are so so so so so so dreadful.  And did I mention they're bad?)

This is really interesting... MASN is not going to commercial between the top and bottom of the 9th because of the...situation.  So yay - I get to hear Bob and FP blather on.  And on.

Well. I guess the Mets had to get the suck out of their system before I see them tomorrow.

Yeah .  ..  good teams don't get no-hit twice. Nor do they strike out seventeen times. If Granderson had struck out to end the game, Mad Max would have tied Tom Seaver's record for consecutive K's in a game. I'm guessing this scuttles Games 1 & 2 being played in Citi Field. Why do I have the feeling that Mets fans should just take the 89 wins and accept the great lurch forward?

Oh, and there were guests in the SNY booth . . . Jerry Seinfeld and his son, Spencer. He's got three kids. When did THAT happen?!?

My sister once voted for Bucky Dent on the All-Star ballot because "he has a cute butt."  It's a good thing I love my sister.

I had a poster of Bucky Dent in my school locker circa eighth grade.  He was definitely a cutie!

What a great set up for a season finale.

The AL West and 1 WC still up for grabs. Jays and Royals and Bucs and Cubbies and Yanks and Stros and Rangers all duking it out for homefield. And the Angels fighting to get in.

I feel a game 163 incoming. I hope it's the Astros and Rangers for the AL West. But the Angels and Astros for the last wildcard would be fun too.

Halos need to win though to ensure a game 163. Go Angels!

Edited by Maximum Taco

I had a poster of Bucky Dent in my school locker circa eighth grade.  He was definitely a cutie!

Where's the dislike button??!?!  Oh, there is none?  Well then - BOOOOOO!!!!!

Sure, bring back Bucky F'ing Dent into discussion, but just turn a blind eye to the Yankees getting swept in a DH?  Close to losing the home field WC slot. I'm with Jennifer and ebk - GO BALTIMORE!

(Ugh did I really say that? Oh well it's for a good cause)

ps- Damn it all, I want the Angels to lose SO badly. Not really due to the team, but to their asshole of a coach. Suck it Scioscia!

Edited by King of Birds
  • Love 2
(edited)

Sounds like it(when I clicked the link, the announcer said that he'd been on both Piniella and Girardi to let him pitch). The video only shows him throwing one pitch, though.

Edited by smittykins

I was watching the game. The Phillies announcers didn't know why.They thought it was just something he probably wanted to do. He wasn't awful they hit him hard but they were at people. He did give up one run and some hits but the Phillies had a 4 run lead at the time.

The Phillies aren't great but I feel a lot more positive about them at the end of the year then I did going into the season. Some of the players they picked up in the mid season trades look like they could be really nice players and as much as I miss Chase Utley and Cole Hamels (and Jimmy Rollins at the end of last season)I know it was best for they team.

Cool moment at the end of the game, Phillies players threw hats and jerseys into the crowd.

Go Rangers for Hamels and Didgers for Utley and Rollins

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 1

Taco, I didn't see the start of the Jays/Rays game but it looked like Toronto didn't have their best out there today, possibly deliberately.  True statement?

The Rays liker in me (still can't quite call myself a fan just yet) was happy for Joey Butler hitting a grand slam and a two run shot while his parents were in the stands.  His mom was so cute, nervous with every at bat, while dad was laid back in his sunglasses.

Taco, I didn't see the start of the Jays/Rays game but it looked like Toronto didn't have their best out there today, possibly deliberately.  True statement?

The Rays liker in me (still can't quite call myself a fan just yet) was happy for Joey Butler hitting a grand slam and a two run shot while his parents were in the stands.  His mom was so cute, nervous with every at bat, while dad was laid back in his sunglasses.

I agree. I'm not positive but I think they might have given up on this game before it started because they knew that Kansas was throwing everything including Johnny Cueto at the Twins, and the Twins (with nothing to play for) put up a skeleton lineup, benching most of their regulars. It was gonna be a walk for the Royals, and if the Royals won, it didn't matter what the Jays did.

Frankly if they wanted to win today, they would've started Price, Stroman or Dickey. Starting Buehrle on 1 day of rest was asking for a loss. I had faint hopes the bullpen could carry them this game, but I never expected them to.

Toronto's goal today was just to get Buehrle 2 innings so he could get to his goal of 200 IP this year. And the only reason they put out the main line up was to make sure Buehrle had a decent defence behind him and to give everyone another chance to bat. 

Unfortunately Buehrle just had nothing left in his tank after going 6.2 innings on Friday and got pulled in the first. It was a shame, that's not how he, or the Jays wanted him to end his career.

Edited by Maximum Taco

Is he retiring?

Almost certainly. He hasn't made an official announcement yet, probably cause he doesn't want to distract from the postseason, but everyone's expecting it.

If he had made 2 innings today he would've become only the 5th pitcher in MLB history to pitch 200 or more innings in 15 consecutive seasons.

EDIT: Buehrle said after the game he hadn't made a decision yet, but he saved the ball in case it was his last game.

Edited by Maximum Taco

Sounds like this was Don Orsillo's last game. King you ok?

Orsillo's last game as Sox play-by-play, yup.  He'll be in San Diego next year.

I recorded today's game while I was out, because NESN showed "classic clips" of Don (and Jerry) as in/outs almost every inning. They included the infamous pizza toss, so I'll at least have that on HD now. I may have to hit the blue button on today's loss to Cleveland.

Nice moment at the end of the Sox-Indians game: the Red Sox, and some of the Indians who were former Red Sox, came out of the dugout and saluted Orsillo. It sucks that he's leaving, especially since, so far as anyone can tell, it's all office politics.

• Love 3

Had an interesting day out. Six Mets pitchers (including Bartolo Colon!) teamed up to throw a two-hit shutout over the Nationals. The Mets, being the Mets, waited until the eighth inning to score a run . . . from Curtis Granderson's solo shot. I overspent on the ticket and food, and it took me a while longer to come home, but I had a good day. I'll post pictures when I get them from my camera.

ETA: Turns out it was seven pitchers. I guess Terry pulled deGrom after four innings to keep him fresh for the start of the NLDS. Sadly, Terry pinch-hit for Colon. Seeing the big man at the plate would have been fun to watch.

• Love 3

So, .500 and not in last place is not a total disaster of a season.  So there!   

A good day at the park, and a fabulous dinner.

And...Steve Pearce - with beer!

IMG_20151004_132851_zpsmiithrev.jpg

• Love 2

I think it's a shame that the Pirates and the Cubs are facing each other for one game as I'd happily root for both of them in the playoffs.  While watching MLBN yesterday both Dan Plesac and Matt Vasgersian picked the Cubbies to win it all while Harold Reynolds made no predictions because he's in the booth (yay!) for the WS this year.

Sorry to hear that about CC. But boy, it's shitty timing. The Yankees need all the arms they can get.

eta: No big surprise that the Nats fired Williams and his staff.

During Red Sox finale they said Farrell and Lovullo and staff are returning, minus 1B coach Beyeler.

Any other coaching news?

Also, I saw that Dan Haren says he's retiring after whatever Cubs do in the post-season. He was the guy who was on the Dodgers, wanted to stay on the west coast, and LA traded him to the Marlins.  (and they ended up on Cubbies)  I knew he was not long for MLB with his "west coast only" team request.  So the retired list includes Buehrle and Haren, anyone else?

Edited by King of Birds

I understand the advertisers pay the bills but I think it was rather tone-deaf for Cashman and Girardi to do the CC presser in front of a backdrop that was sponsored by Budweiser. There wasn't ANY other backer they could use for that? Pepsi? Ford? New Era? ANYONE ELSE?

• Love 6

That. . was unfortunate. I hope it was an honest oversight that even Budweiser regrets.

I'm already missing the regular season. It's almost seven and there is no reason to turn to YES, SNY or MLB.

• Love 3

That. . was unfortunate. I hope it was an honest oversight that even Budweiser regrets.

I'm already missing the regular season. It's almost seven and there is no reason to turn to YES, SNY or MLB.

I got in my car after work to go home...and no baseball on the radio.  It was a tortuous commute (okay, it's always a tortuous commute, but tonight was extra bad)

MLBN is running some best of clips from the season and it's quite enjoyable.

Today in the mail I received the Calvin Coolidge booblehead that ebk sent me.  Thank you again!!!!

Woohoo!!  So glad he made it safely.  Enjoy!!!

Only in Illinois do October midterms get rescheduled for interfering with the Cubs/Pirates NL Wildcard.

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2015/10/04/chicago-cubs-nl-wild-card-student-exam-professor

RA Dickey is also campaigning for a federal holiday in Canada. 5 day weekend (we get monday too for Canadian Thanksgiving)!

https://twitter.com/RADickey43/status/651148035171332096

Gotta love October baseball.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1
Gotta love October baseball.

Except when the NYM vs LAD game 2 start is at "9pm Eastern" - so you have fun Lantern and Mets fans, the game will end around 1am!

But at least the game is in Los Angeles, if it were in NY on Friday it'd probably be raining.

• Love 1

I don't know how much of the NLDS I'll get to see. I'm commuting to New York Comic Con, and even if I make it home in time to see the games, I have to go to bed early so I can get up early to go to the con.

I wish there was a way to bring back day baseball during the playoffs.  Seriously, even a weekday game which I could not watch while at work but could probably listen to on the radio but hey, ratings would tank and it's all about that, right?

• Love 3