Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I know it's only the third but I'm very cranky. The Yanks HAVE to do something about Nova because he is SO unreliable and I'm getting tired of the Rays playing the shift on every at bat. Also why do the Yankees only have like three switch hitters and one is hurt ugh.

• Love 1

Just saw the Mets lose to the Marlins. Barring a Braves rally, the Mets will be four game ahead of the Nats going into their series. I napped through most of it, so I missed Stephen Matz's comeback, a well as his removal over a blister. Trying to think good thoughts going into Monday, but it's tough.

I feel like this is the beginning of the end for my beloved Mets. Please, oh please let me be wrong. I feel I can't watch the rest of the month for fear of being let down once more.

Here's the deal, either be sucky all season or be good all season. Don't be awesome all season and then blow it in the last month. I'm okay with being sucky all year, I really am. My parents live in Seattle and I went to Columbia. (I was in the marching band. I went to almost all football games and home basketball games for the 4 years I was there. We never got our hopes up. I'm used to rooting for the losing side.)

Edited by rwlevin

rwlevin . . . I know the feeling of foreboding. Part of me feels that Mets fans should be happy for a .500-plus season, which is more than most people expected from them. It's just . . .  who knows if this team will be as good next year. Sure, they'll keep the pitchers and Wright, but the deadline acquisitions have been lightning in a bottle, giving hope to the fans of a moribund franchise. I'm trying not to hype things, but there's a part of me that wonders about the Mets going deep into October, possibly into November.

ETA (9/7): Well. The Mets take a 3-0 lead, give up a grand slam, go down 5-3 . . . but they chip away at the Nationals' lead, the bullpen doesn't give up another run, and they wind up winning, 8-5.  If this was before August, they would've been toast after the slam. Not today.

Jeez, can the O's and Nats PLEASE beat these NY teams?!??!  Am I asking for too much?

Red Sox have a chance to escape last place if the Orioles don't get into spoiler mode, pronto!

All I can say is... sigh...

Tangential to the topic, but the judge in Kentucky that put the no-gay-marriage-license county clerk in jail is the son of Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher Jim Bunning. 

I wondered if there was a relation to Jim when I saw the judge's name.

Just got home after being out of town since Friday morning.  My (still sort of) Braves are battling the Phillies for NL futility and I while they may have a worse record by one game we're riding a 12 game losing streak, so there.  I think I'll root for the umpires in this one.

When I locked up a ticket for the final game of the series, I saw that the Mets were throwing out a "2016 magnetic schedule." I figured something was weird about that, since we're not done with 2015 yet. Turns out that not only has the schedule been produced way ahead of . . . time . . . the Mets will kick off their season against the Royals in Kansas City.

I'm going out for a bit, so I'm not going to see tonight's game ("Mad Matt Beyond Thunderdome") until I get home late. Here's hoping the Mets can go six up on the Nationals. Also, I managed to scrawl out 5 1/2 pages about being a Mets fan. I'll post a link when I put it on my blog.

That's one of the, um, benefits (?) of going to many, many stadiums.  When I buy tickets, I start getting emails from all the teams,  So when the schedules get released, I get emails from...all of them.  Good thing I love baseball.

Nope. Pretty damn boring game.

ETA, as a neutral observer Drew Storen's performance was so painful to watch. Things have gone to shit. Your home fans are booing you and nothing you try seems to work. 

But, that's why these guys make the big bucks.

Edited by xaxat

I'm so disgusted after watching that Nationals game.  They really have to do something about their relief pitchers.  Their bullpen seems to blow every important game.  I'm watching MASN and the announcers are even calling the bullpen out.  

I'm hopeful, but I have a feeling that the season is over for the Nationals.  I don't have a lot of confidence in Strasburg tomorrow (he's just as inconsistent as the bullpen) and I don't think they can get enough wins that coincide with Mets losses to catch up.  At least I'll save money next month since the hubby won't be able to go to any playoff games.

I'm so disgusted after watching that Nationals game.  They really have to do something about their relief pitchers.  Their bullpen seems to blow every important game.  I'm watching MASN and the announcers are even calling the bullpen out.  

I'm hopeful, but I have a feeling that the season is over for the Nationals.  I don't have a lot of confidence in Strasburg tomorrow (he's just as inconsistent as the bullpen) and I don't think they can get enough wins that coincide with Mets losses to catch up.  At least I'll save money next month since the hubby won't be able to go to any playoff games.

OMG, that's exactly what I've been saying for a week or so about the O's... and the Nats to a point.  The things we say to get through the disappointment...

I'm hopeful, but I have a feeling that the season is over for the Nationals.  I don't have a lot of confidence in Strasburg tomorrow (he's just as inconsistent as the bullpen) and I don't think they can get enough wins that coincide with Mets losses to catch up.  At least I'll save money next month since the hubby won't be able to go to any playoff games.

It's funny, I've been saying the exact same thing about the Mets. My poor Mets. At least Duda is finally off the DL. I've also decided they have to get rid of Niese, Parnell and O'Flaherty. Although, looking at the standings, either the Mets or the Nats will have the worst record going into the playoffs.

So. I go to a volunteer thing. The people there switch between the Mets and Yankees game. When I leave, the Nationals are up 3-1. By the time I get home and I listen to the local news station . . . Nationals up, 7-1. I had dinner, I go to my bedroom to go online and watch the end of the game . . . the gap has been narrowed to 7-6. Then the Mets tie the game. And then freaking Kirk Nieuwenhuis homers, and the Mets wind up winning, 8-7. I think that if the Mets need to work during the offseason, they would make great faith healers. If Yoenis Céspedes can redeem himself after a three-run error, I'm certain he can cure anybody with his bare hands. Oh, and the bullpen doesn't give up a run, putting out the fires Matt Harvey left. Magic number down to 19. Can I get a witness?!?

• Love 2

Crush Davis. Fucker.

It's funny...I was at Ruby Tuesday's that rainy Thursday when San Diego came back and it appeared the Mets were embarrassingly done. And now here we are. All the Mets have to do is keep from imploding internally and they'll be just fine.

OMG, that's exactly what I've been saying for a week or so about the O's... and the Nats to a point. The things we say to get through the disappointment...

I watch on tv. Dh likes to go to games, but we're four hours away and have to deal with Hampton Roads and northern Virginia traffic to go to games. It's always a last minute thing to go to a game. He's been gone so much this summer and will miss the first half of next season, that he was hoping to go to a playoff game.

I was at a pub tonight. I left when the Mets were down 2-1 in the middle of the sixth inning. I get home . . . turns out they came from behind to sweep the Nationals. The Mets are now seven games up on the Nats, and they get to go to Atlanta to batter the Braves for four games. Holy cow.

• Love 1

Their fate is in your hands Lantern7.

The last two games have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that a Mets comeback is guaranteed if you stop watching the game after they fall behind.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 4

Apparently, not even the Mets have a winning record outside the division. I'm going into a potential NLDS with trepidation, and that doesn't make me feel more optimistic.

Reporters, what do they know? Do you really want to bet against the Mets at this point? The Magic is back!

Their fate is in your hands Lantern7.

The last two games have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that a Mets comeback is guaranteed if you stop watching the game after they fall behind.

I seem to have the same effect on the Yankees.

• Love 1

Long time posters in this thread (going back to TWoP) may remember that I am the reason the Braves lost the 1991 World Series when during game seven I moved from sitting on the couch to the floor.  At least you guys jinx your team in a positive direction.

• Love 1

When I was ten years old, I watched Game 6 of the World Series. I turned the game off to lament when the Red Sox went up by two in the tenth inning. As a result, I missed the comeback and the Bob Stanley wild pitch, and I wound up seeing Mookie Wilson's grounder go under Bill Buckner's legs. I still hate myself for that, even though I was young and naïve. If I knew about the "curse" the Red Sox was under, maybe I would've stayed.

The Red Sox were destined to win in 2004. Take the last two digits of the last team to win the World Series (18). Now add that to the last pennant they would win (86). Take out the "1" of the result, and you're left with "04." Spooky, right?

It's not a suprise but still good news Ruben Amaro contract not extended. It's effective immediately and Assistant GM Scott Proefock will take over in the interim. It's like a early birthday present for me!

I will miss the awesome nickname, "Ruin Tomorrow Sooner", cheers to whoever coined that one.

Just checked the Staten Island Yankees' site. They made the New York-Penn League playoffs and managed to beat Tri-City at home in 11 innings last night. I used to see the Baby Bombers more often. One year, I saw them win the NY-PL championship. I think they had Robinson Cano and Chien-Ming Wang that year, but I'm not 100 percent sure. I also went to a rally for the team a few days later. Ever see schoolkids sing "We Are The Champions"? So cute.

ETA: Between the rain delay, the power cutting out, and the cable (and Internet) taking forever to reboot, I missed most of the Mets' win over Atlanta. I did manage to see Bartolo Colon drive in a run with a base hit up the middle. That was funny. Anybody else hoping for a Mets/Blue Jays series, just for a prospective Colon/Dickey duel?

Well, Texeira is out for the season with a leg fracture. Leg fracture? What happened to the deep bone bruise? Seriously, he had been unable to walk without crutches since he got hurt but yet was allowed to work on fielding drills. WTF!  I know that injury status can change but that just seems odd. But then when Jeter hurt his ankle it soon became a broken ankle because he mos prob came back too soon. 

At least Greg Bird knows what he's doing and is on his way to being the second coming of Gehrig (in the sense that Gehrig never looked back after replacing Wally Pip who had a headache or something and didn't play.) 

My world will not collapse if Yanks don't go to playoffs or lose in the first round. It could be a blessing in disguise. I don't think our pitching will be enough with no Eovaldi and CC trying to prove he can still be a force. Doubt Joe will put in Adam Warren, though I wish he would. I love Girardi and think he has done wonders with his pitchers last year and this year but he can only do so much.

We could use a little Andy Pettitte right about now.  

Not sure why it took me this long to notice how cute, for lack of a better word, the blue jay in Toronto's logo is.  It looks sweet, like something that would come out of a 1940's era Disney princess movie when in reality blue jays are vicious creatures.

I finally wrote my essay on being a Mets fan. I left out a lot of stuff, but it generally sums up my feelings in the here and now. Hopefully, I haven't jinxed them. Feel free to leave me feedback.

Question for any Braves fans out there . . .  has attendance been dropping lately? I know that the team isn't at its best, but it looks dire at Turner Field. And as a Mets fan that hated John Rocker and Larry "Chipper" Jones back in the day, I have to say that it makes me smile. Sorry.

• Love 1

I finally wrote my essay on being a Mets fan. I left out a lot of stuff, but it generally sums up my feelings in the here and now. Hopefully, I haven't jinxed them. Feel free to leave me feedback.

Question for any Braves fans out there . . .  has attendance been dropping lately? I know that the team isn't at its best, but it looks dire at Turner Field. And as a Mets fan that hated John Rocker and Larry "Chipper" Jones back in the day, I have to say that it makes me smile. Sorry.

Not a Brave fans but they don't usually have  good attendance when they aren't in the race.  Heck they didn't sellout playoff games before.

This is the third-most fun I've ever had at a regular season game.  2 grand slams in one inning!!  If only the game meant something to the outcome of the season...besides not ending up in last place.

Got a lovely hoodie - and another souvenir beer can!