Type keyword(s) to search

Speculations without Spoilers: Congratulations! It's a Girl, Just Not Yours

I belong to another TV forum where only the moderators are allowed to start threads. If this is the case here, then I am sorry.

Since Switched at Birth is currently on hiatus until the Summer, I thought that people might be interested in a thread where they could give their opinions as to what will happen in Season 4B. Since I am a male, I'm not interested in any of the relationships that are or have happened. To me, that is the small picture, while the large picture hides just around the corner. Too many people see this show as a romantic comedy where everyone will have a happy ending. With the breakup of Bay and Emmett, which will probably be permanent, this will no longer be the case. I may be very negative but I don't see too many happy endings. YES - The musical that Kathryn and Toby are making will probably be a hit. Emmett's movie will probably be a huge success - but there won't be many more happy endings.

This show amazes me in that it could very well be the first show that I have ever seen where the 2 main characters face the very real possibility of a bleak future.

Bay Kennish is now, and forever will be known, as a convicted felon. Unless she works for her parents, her job prospects appear to be pretty slim. Tess was only able to get a job as a telemarketer. The NEA won't show any of a felon's art works. Her plans of going to LA are now over. She will no longer be sending texts or Skyping. She currently has no boyfriend and very few friends - and ALL of them believe that she is a felon.

I also believe that Nacho will play a very large role in 4B. It is MY opinion that he will commit a crime - or more than one crime - and will be able to pin it on Bay.

We will see if Tank tries to regain his reputation - at Bay's expense.

If bad things happen to Bay because of Nacho, then it will be Daphne who will feel the guilt of that. If Bay has to go to prison, if only for a few hours or a day, Daphne will blame herself for bringing this all on Bay, Her guilt will become overwhelming. She also faces the pressure to get good grades. If she doesn't become a doctor, then she will have let Bay's loving sacrifice be for absolutely nothing. She can't allow that. She MUST become a doctor.

It is MY "prediction" that between Nacho, the police, the courts, the internet, the media, and the public, Bay will be harassed like no one ever has been on TV before - and Daphne will face the guilt of that. By the time that this series ends, Bay will not be able to feel anything anymore and Daphne will become a really nasty person, hated by most people , including both of her mothers and Toby - but she will be daddy's little girl - spoiled rotten, with no conscience, manipulative, conniving, and virtually every other bad word that you can think of.

I will understand it if you feel that my "predictions" are too negative but maybe you would like to give your opinions as to what may happen in 4B and beyond. PLEASE - NO spoilers. Let me hear your ideas on where this show is headed.

Aquarian1 - I realize that this is the offseason and Season 4B won't start until the Summer. It doesn't appear that many people will respond to this forum until then - and even then it doesn't appear that many people reply. I noticed that you attempted to start threads based on the lives of the characters, with little or no success.

I'm going to assume that you are a moderator. You may or may not even care about this show - but if you do, then maybe you and I can talk about it. I am one of those rare males who watches this show. That makes me one of those rare people who doesn't see this as a romantic comedy, based solely on the romantic relationships of say Bay and Emmett, which is now over. I see this as a drama where there will be few, if any, happy endings when this series comes to an end. The irony of that is that these unhappy endings will be because of a loving gesture by one sister to keep another sister out of jail.

As I said, if you wish to talk about this show, then let's talk. If not, then that would be O.K. also. My "predictions" do tend to be rather negative but, at least, they would be different than the constant barrage of Bay and Emmett's love life.

Let me ask you a somewhat innocent question. What future role do you see for Emmett Bledsoe, since he is in LA and probably won't be coming back to KC very often, except in maybe the Summer months to be with his mother?

I don't know what they'll do with Emmett.  Maybe it will be summer break when the show returns and he can be visiting home.  I'd love to see him and Toby as friends again - hang out, play with the band, something.  Although given his and Bay's history and relationship status, that could be hard on Toby and Bay's relationship.  I'd also like to see Emmett and Daphne's friendship again.  Once Emmett and Bay became a thing, their friendship disappeared.  They could never be seen together.  

What do I think will actually happen?  I don't know,  If they keep Emmett in CA and we only see him via Skype or with other, it will be boring for me.  

To get the band back together again, they would need Wilke - and he doesn't appear to be around anymore.

Emmett and Daphne's friendship disintegrated when Bay took the blame for Daphne. Emmett has wanted nothing to do with her ever since.

Unless Emmett was Skyping with his mother, I wouldn't know who he would be doing it with. Surely not with Bay or Daphne - unless Bay happened to be pregnant with Emmett's child - but that seems unlikely. IF Bay were to become pregnant, it would most likely be Tank's - and that would open up another can of worms. I can't see Bay spending the rest of her life with Tank, child or no child. Bay doesn't seem like the kind of person who would get an abortion. Daphne - YES - but not Bay.

Just because Emmett and Daphne are on the outs now doesn't mean it has to stay that way.  They were friends for what? 12 years?  It seems to me they can fix the friendship.  As for the band, they don't need Wilke - I didn't mean the exact band they had, just start playing music again, they can get another third.  I miss Emmett's friendships with other people.  It doesn't have to be Bay or nothing.

• Love 1

Just because Emmett and Daphne are on the outs now doesn't mean it has to stay that way.  They were friends for what? 12 years?  It seems to me they can fix the friendship.  

I wouldn't mind seeing their friendship again, if, the friendship was less one-sided with Daphne standing up and being a friend to Emmett for once rather than the other way around.  I never minded this latest conflict between them because someone in Daphne's life needed to hold her responsible for being a narcissistic, self-involved brat who despite her declarations of "doing this for Bay," never was really held accountable for all the crap she pulled.   I don't see it happening though.  It seems like Emmett is never going to be anything other than the bad boyfriend anymore, and Daphne is all about being the bestest, most loyal sister ever (too bad it took Bay throwing away her good name to earn that from her), so I don't see her "betraying" Bay by being friends with Emmett again.

I miss Emmett's friendships with other people.  It doesn't have to be Bay or nothing.

I miss his connections to other people as well.  I loved him and Bay, but since the writers have busted that to pieces and ran the pieces over with a steamroller, it would be nice to see him with other people.  Not random chicks who only exist to be part of the latest reason for the latest Bay/Emmett breakup.  I really don't think the writers care about the character anymore which is a shame.  It was a lousy decision to isolate him in California away from everyone else, especially when it seems that it was all just to facilitate a breakup, not to tell any story about him and his trials and tribulations in college.  

He has no connection to anyone else anymore.  I feel like he's pretty much been replaced by Travis.  Travis gets all the stories/time that used to go to Emmett about being Deaf.  Travis is Melody's son, not Emmett.  Travis is Daphne's new deaf BFF, not Emmett.  Travis is the new foster member of the Kennish/Vazquez family, not Emmett.  I wouldn't be surprised if they try a Bay/Travis romance.  Because, of course Bay will get a new boyfriend, someone new or someone already in the SAB universe.  I don't mind Travis all that much, but I do resent how he's basically pushed Emmett out almost.  I prefer Emmett and the actor who plays him to Travis.  Plus, Travis has practically been as sanctified as Daphne lately.  Everything about him is meant to feel pity for him while every move Emmett makes is the exact opposite.

Travis gets all the scenes with Emmett's own mother who spent way more time parenting/coddling/counseling him, and Daphne, and Bay more than her own son.  I mean, I enjoy those scenes as much as the next person, but  Melody had ONE scene with Emmett this last part of a season. ONE.  And she only mentioned him one other time besides that.  And even that wasn't about him.  Emmett came back home twice and he couldn't even get a scene with his mother asking him how things were going in LA or how he might have been dealing with all the stuff that went down with Bay.

The writers need to bring Emmett back to Kansas City.  There's no reason for him otherwise at this point.  The one tie to everyone else is now gone.

(edited)

Just because Emmett and Daphne are on the outs now doesn't mean it has to stay that way.  They were friends for what? 12 years?  It seems to me they can fix the friendship.  As for the band, they don't need Wilke - I didn't mean the exact band they had, just start playing music again, they can get another third.  I miss Emmett's friendships with other people.  It doesn't have to be Bay or nothing.

Emmett and Daphne were friends since they were 8 - 10 years.

Emmett will NEVER forgive Daphne for allowing Bay to take the fall for her. He has made that quite clear.

KBrownie - Travis and Bay might try dating but I don't believe that Melody would approve of it. She has never really cared for Bay. Bay is also a convicted felon who cheated on Melody's son. She isn't going to allow Bay to cheat on another one of her "sons" - and we have no idea how Emmett would feel about his "brother" dating his ex.

You said that Daphne is "sanctified". I guess you mean that all of her problems are over. You can correct me if that is wrong.

Unfortunately, she now has some major problems that she has to contend with. She has the constant pressure of becoming a doctor. She will always feel the need to get good grades. When she failed Chem, one of her  first reactions was "Oh My God, Bay". She was going to have tell Bay that her loving sacrifice was for absolutely nothing. In other words, she was going to have to admit to Bay that she was nothing but a big loser. Her feelings of despair only ended when Mingo convinced her into retaking the class. This pressure will never go away - that is until she becomes a doctor.

Then she has the possibility of a second major problem. If Bay has any further problems with the law because of her past association with Nacho, Daphne's guilt will be overwhelming.

Edited by John S

I don't know how they're going to do it but I really hope they bring Emmett back from LA and give him more to do this half season. I agree with the assessment that he's been mostly replaced by Travis and has been relegated to being defined by his relationship with Bay, which is such a shame because he was such a great character in the beginning of the show.

I don't know how they're going to do it but I really hope they bring Emmett back from LA and give him more to do this half season. I agree with the assessment that he's been mostly replaced by Travis and has been relegated to being defined by his relationship with Bay, which is such a shame because he was such a great character in the beginning of the show.

If Emmett were to return to KC, that would probably mean that he would have quit school, and that is NOT likely to happen - or Bay is pregnant with his child.

He COULD come home for the Summer months but since he and Bay broke up and he is no longer speaking to Daphne, there isn't much of a role for him in KC.

Of course, if Wilke were to return, then Guitar Face might be reunited for the summer.

Based on the previews, I wonder if Toby's ex wife Nikki is pregnant and that's the big issue. Assuming they separated during the summer and it's now winter break she would be pretty far along, and was keeping it from him? Just a theory....

Based on the previews, I wonder if Toby's ex wife Nikki is pregnant and that's the big issue. Assuming they separated during the summer and it's now winter break she would be pretty far along, and was keeping it from him? Just a theory....

That sounds plausible - but Toby is crying that his life is "ruined". Would he panic that much over an unplanned pregnancy - or does something else happen? We will see.

I was thinking it's either Nikki or the teacher he was dating last season. Regardless, the way Toby reacted definitely makes me think the pregnancy is related to him in some way. I can definitely see a 19 or 20-year-old guy crying that his life is ruined over an unplanned pregnancy. 

Just saw the promo on TV. I am 99% sure Toby's problem is unplanned pregnancy. I find both Nikki and the teacher unbearably annoying, so I'd rather not see either one again, but all signs seem to be pointing there.

On the other hand, maybe Toby got infected with HIV or something (perhaps on his trip to Iceland). That would fit his panic and "life-ruining" statements, AND be a topic the show hasn't explored yet.

Honestly, I'd prefer that (as predictably didactic as it would be) over a pregnancy.

Switched at Birth is coming to an end - I guess 9 more episodes are left.

At the beginning of this thread, almost 2 years ago, I posted some, mostly negative, predictions of what would happen. It doesn't appear like very many of them will come true.

The one positive prediction that I made was that Kathryn and Toby would win awards for their musical. That musical wasn't even mentioned in "The Call". I predicted that both Bay and Daphne would be destroyed by the fact that Bay saved Daphne from going to jail. Bay would have many problems because she is a convicted felon and Daphne would crack from the pressure of trying to become a doctor. It doesn't appear like anything like that will be happening.

I predicted that, in the end, Bay and Regina, daughter and biological mother, would leave the Kennish house, never to return. John and Kathryn would end up divorced. Those things COULD still happen.

In my opinion, there is NO chance that Bemmett will happen. There is more of a chance - small - that Demmett will happen.

Since it takes about 12 years to become a doctor, unless they fast forward, there is no chance that Daphne will be a doctor when the show ends.

Do you have any predictions - positive or negative - of how this show will end?

On 2017-02-04 at 9:18 AM, John S said:

Since it takes about 12 years to become a doctor, unless they fast forward, there is no chance that Daphne will be a doctor when the show ends.

The show could probably end with a flash forward. Dawson's Creek and the O. C. both did this. It could be a couple of scenes to show us what happens to all the main characters at the end. I can see this show doing this; the writers will probably give Daphne some sort of happy ending as a Doctor or Dr Chef.

3 hours ago, Athena said:

The show could probably end with a flash forward. Dawson's Creek and the O. C. both did this. It could be a couple of scenes to show us what happens to all the main characters at the end. I can see this show doing this; the writers will probably give Daphne some sort of happy ending as a Doctor or Dr Chef.

You might be correct but it would have been more realistic to see her struggle with the "pain" of evening the score with Bay.