Type keyword(s) to search

The X-Files Revival: The Truth is in Here

Since it "appears" that M&S are forced to go back into the FBI, I'm thinking it has to be something with either William's safety or Skinner. I doubt it's about aliens.

But these 5 second teasers are getting really irritating! Want more!

Agreed. Fox is re-defining the word "tease" with these. 

If fans could get blue balls, I've got 'em.

Agreed. Fox is re-defining the word "tease" with these. 

If fans could get blue balls, I've got 'em.

Haha! I've got them too! The positive thing I'm taking out of this is that if their goal was to attract new viewers, they're definitely failing. Catering to old fans who are just happy to see Mulder and Scully together is a good sign to me :)

Here's what I've got, in order of least to most speculative:

1) There's a car behind Scully, so it's likely the parking garage meeting. I don't know for sure if this is the same scene as in the call sheet, but it sure looks like it.

2) I don't think she's wearing the same clothes she had on while driving with Tad; her shirt is definitely different. I can't tell if it's the same coat.

3) If the call sheet is accurate, this scene probably occurs late in the episode.

4) There's a lot of tension in the scene. Something bad happened after their meeting with Tad. (I'm assuming that scene occurs prior to this one.)

5) It's always possible FOX edited their dialogue to make the scene sound more dramatic. They did something like this before with an IWTB promo.

Haha! I've got them too! The positive thing I'm taking out of this is that if their goal was to attract new viewers, they're definitely failing. Catering to old fans who are just happy to see Mulder and Scully together is a good sign to me :)

I don't think so. There are some new fans who are interested. But I do agree about the old fan thing though.

I still find it distracting that the person who chose the wig is apparently colorblind, but I like the tone of these little tidbits FOX is doling out.

Lol, that scene was before the color fixed wig. Me too, to a point. I'm hoping that they'll release something positive soon.

Here's what I've got, in order of least to most speculative:

1) There's a car behind Scully, so it's likely the parking garage meeting. I don't know for sure if this is the same scene as in the call sheet, but it sure looks like it.

2) I don't think she's wearing the same clothes she had on while driving with Tad; her shirt is definitely different. I can't tell if it's the same coat.

3) If the call sheet is accurate, this scene probably occurs late in the episode.

4) There's a lot of tension in the scene. Something bad happened after their meeting with Tad. (I'm assuming that scene occurs prior to this one.)

5) It's always possible FOX edited their dialogue to make the scene sound more dramatic. They did something like this before with an IWTB promo.

Definitely.

Could be. 

2) I don't think she's wearing the same clothes she had on while driving with Tad; her shirt is definitely different. I can't tell if it's the same coat

I had the same thought. The neckline of the shirt is different. Also, I thought the call sheet said that Mulder is meeting her after work in the hospital, which wouldn't fit with the Tad meeting. I might be wrong about that.

Based on the fact that we know they meet with Sveta and hear her abduction/testing story in this episode, I think that what they discover in the episode is some connection to Scully's abduction and the subsequent birth of Emily and William. It has to be some new, personal information that they learn in order for them to get back into things. 

I can't wait for it to air so we get all these questions answered! I'm so excited to see how they handle everything.

• Love 2

Yeah, I imagine they'll ramp up the promos later to entice the newer fans. Right now it's all about nostalgia and stoking the old fires. And they know they can tease us endlessly and we'll follow. But we're still 5 months out and that's probably too long to keep a new audience interested in these tiny, non-informational glimpses.  The newer fans will be snagged closer to the release date. 

Yeah, I imagine they'll ramp up the promos later to entice the newer fans. Right now it's all about nostalgia and stoking the old fires. And they know they can tease us endlessly and we'll follow. But we're still 5 months out and that's probably too long to keep a new audience interested in these tiny, non-informational glimpses.  The newer fans will be snagged closer to the release date. 

Yep. But only up to a point. Too much angsty stuff can scare off both old fans and new imo.

(edited)

Yep. But only up to a point. Too much angsty stuff can scare off both old fans and new imo.

Yes, I hope they don't get too angsty in the promos. With a show like X-Files it's pretty easy to hype the awe and wonder to get people to tune in. No need for any Marlon Brando-ish "Sccccuuuuuuuuuuullllly!" type promos.  :-)

Speaking of which, a career lifetime ago, I had to produce an X-Files promo for work (clients) to promote the IWTB movie.  Had a great time doing it.  It's here if anyone wants to take a look:  (Sorry, it's the crappy de-interlaced version.)

https://youtu.be/ZPKN30Tsp68

Edited by baileythedog
  • Love 1

Yes, I hope they don't get too angsty in the promos. With a show like X-Files it's pretty easy to hype the awe and wonder to get people to tune in. No need for any Marlon Brando-ish "Sccccuuuuuuuuuuullllly!" type promos.  :-)

Speaking of which, a career lifetime ago, I had to produce an X-Files promo for work (clients) to promote the IWTB movie.  Had a great time doing it.  It's here if anyone wants to take a look:  (Sorry, it's the crappy de-interlaced version.)

https://youtu.be/ZPKN30Tsp68

Yep.

Ooh cool. Thanks for sharing :).

Here's how I think about it. No one is going to tune in unless they already watched some of the show. Even those that have only watched it recently are interested in the same aspects that enticed the old fans (mythology, scary stories, MSR). So, the promos aren't going to do much to get people who were never interested in the old show to watch the revival. 

I think action sequences would do the most to get people excited about the revival. Angst isn't really going to do it. David said in one of his interviews that he hopes that we get to see Scully laugh in the revival because Gillian has a great laugh. I agree, and I really want to see Mulder and Scully have some fun. Their lives are too depressing otherwise! 

I think action sequences would do the most to get people excited about the revival. Angst isn't really going to do it. David said in one of his interviews that he hopes that we get to see Scully laugh in the revival because Gillian has a great laugh. I agree, and I really want to see Mulder and Scully have some fun. Their lives are too depressing otherwise! 

GA has such a great laugh, although if she goes full bore with it, it might look completely incongruous coming out of Scully.  We got a hint of it in "Hollywood, AD." Maybe DD should write one of the episodes! :-) 

Here's how I think about it. No one is going to tune in unless they already watched some of the show. Even those that have only watched it recently are interested in the same aspects that enticed the old fans (mythology, scary stories, MSR). So, the promos aren't going to do much to get people who were never interested in the old show to watch the revival. 

Heck yes to that one! It's been too long. Our one moment was Scratchy Beard in IWTB.

GA has such a great laugh, although if she goes full bore with it, it might look completely incongruous coming out of Scully.  We got a hint of it in "Hollywood, AD." Maybe DD should write one of the episodes! :-) 

Maybe :P. But given what we've seen so far, I wouldn't really mind tbh. Sadly that won't happen.

IGN has a slightly different write up of the dialogue. It's a little better, but still...

Yea it is pretty bad.

Have you guys seen some of the other spoilers yet?

Chris's 4th episode looks definitely Twilight Zone like.

There's a scene taking place in a country western bar. I KID you guys not. 

Source: ill-show-you-later, via Tumblr

And there will be Mulder shirtlessness! :P Not during the country western bar scene though, it's another one.

Source: Anne Simon's Twitter (bless you lady)

I'm looking forward to episode 4 because it seems like it could be a lot of fun. The Lone Gunmen, uncharacteristic behavior in a bar, possible terrorism thrown in...sounds like Three of a Kind - Texas style. I'm probably in the minority for actually liking that episode, but I love when we get to see Mulder and Scully a little out of character having fun.

I'm looking forward to episode 4 because it seems like it could be a lot of fun. The Lone Gunmen, uncharacteristic behavior in a bar, possible terrorism thrown in...sounds like Three of a Kind - Texas style. I'm probably in the minority for actually liking that episode, but I love when we get to see Mulder and Scully a little out of character having fun.

Maybe. But Scully is having a crisis of faith in it. This is not making any sense. It would be real fun if Scully was there :p.

Is it a sure thing that Scully is having a crisis of faith? I thought Chris just said that episode 4 would feature her religious beliefs which is a point of conflict with Mulder. That doesn't necessarily mean that she's having a crisis of faith. She could be having religious visions like she's had in the past  and the messages she's getting from them are in conflict with whatever Mulder's doing/believing. Or they could just be exploring her religious beliefs in ways that are more lighthearted than what they normally do.

I think the bar scene with Mulder will be fun even if Scully's not there. I enjoyed her drugged-up scenes in Three of a Kind. It would be really fun if Skinner was there, also shirtless. Maybe bring some of that UST back in the show to cater to a different type of shipper ;)

Is it a sure thing that Scully is having a crisis of faith? I thought Chris just said that episode 4 would feature her religious beliefs which is a point of conflict with Mulder. That doesn't necessarily mean that she's having a crisis of faith. She could be having religious visions like she's had in the past  and the messages she's getting from them are in conflict with whatever Mulder's doing/believing. Or they could just be exploring her religious beliefs in ways that are more lighthearted than what they normally do.

I think the bar scene with Mulder will be fun even if Scully's not there. I enjoyed her drugged-up scenes in Three of a Kind. It would be really fun if Skinner was there, also shirtless. Maybe bring some of that UST back in the show to cater to a different type of shipper ;)

Maybe.

Except it's NOT UST anymore ;). They've done it! So now it's ST, sexual tension. Not that it's bad in any way though >:).

Good grief, I hope DD was right when he said he and GA were better actors now b/c they are going to need to be freaking Streep and DeNiro to make that drivel work.

I've now made the decision that I'm going to DVR these and wait til the six episodes are over.  I'll follow along here and if they get back together in the end, I'll go back and watch. If not, that show is going to end for me at the second movie.

Good grief, I hope DD was right when he said he and GA were better actors now b/c they are going to need to be freaking Streep and DeNiro to make that drivel work.

I've now made the decision that I'm going to DVR these and wait til the six episodes are over.  I'll follow along here and if they get back together in the end, I'll go back and watch. If not, that show is going to end for me at the second movie.

Yep :(.

I'll be watching live and probably dvr just in case.

Same. At least that was positive.

I'll be laughing my ass off if Mulder line dances though :P.

I have no doubt that Moose and Squirrel will be back together by the end. However CC seems to have a problem writing for an actual couple-didnt even let Mulder be there for his own son's birth. The whole things is manufactured BS and CC obviously hasn't watch the show in a while. M&S have been through everything and stayed together.

As for the dialogue-Oy vey.

My expectations keep getting shattered. I think I'll be looking on seasons 8-9 with fondness.

I have no doubt that Moose and Squirrel will be back together by the end. However CC seems to have a problem writing for an actual couple-didnt even let Mulder be there for his own son's birth. The whole things is manufactured BS and CC obviously hasn't watch the show in a while. M&S have been through everything and stayed together.

As for the dialogue-Oy vey.

My expectations keep getting shattered. I think I'll be looking on seasons 8-9 with fondness.

Me too. Except for whiny Scully.

Along with IWTB. Flaws aside, at least it was decent.

Oh my goodness, that dialogue...did CC trot out every tag line from 9 seasons and two movies for one scene? I want to believe, the  truth is out there, a conspiracy of men, the key to everything...ayiyi. I guess at least some things never change? Except for the MSR apparently.  My expectations for this revival are really, really low and hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised, but with so many great and well-written TV shows out there right now I just don't think that it will compare well.

• Love 2

Oh my goodness, that dialogue...did CC trot out every tag line from 9 seasons and two movies for one scene? I want to believe, the  truth is out there, a conspiracy of men, the key to everything...ayiyi. I guess at least some things never change? Except for the MSR apparently.  My expectations for this revival are really, really low and hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised, but with so many great and well-written TV shows out there right now I just don't think that it will compare well.

Yea it certainly looks that way. I don't think it will either. I'll be surprised if we get to see all six episodes tbh.

I'll be surprised if we get to see all six episodes tbh.

The only way you won't see all six episodes is if you purposefully don't watch them.  FOX isn't going to put a great deal of money and promotion into a mere six episodes of a very popular franchise only not to air them all.  

• Love 3

The only way you won't see all six episodes is if you purposefully don't watch them.  FOX isn't going to put a great deal of money and promotion into a mere six episodes of a very popular franchise only not to air them all.  

Fair point. But it looks like it'll be a bumpy ride.

Yeah, I can't imagine how low the ratings for the early episodes would have to be for them to yank the second half, nor can I imagine ratings being that low. 

Neither can I. They figure they have a captive audience, for lack of a better way of putting it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for these to do well. Honestly I do... but after the recent clips... I don't know what to think.

There has been very little additional spoilers leaked recently, or am I just out of touch? Does this mean that CC and company have gotten much better about keeping information on set tight or are spoilers leaked elsewhere and just not making it here? They should be getting very close to completion on principal photography. 

Sign me,

An apparent spoiler whore. 

Edited by baileythedog

There has been very little additional spoilers leaked recently, or am I just out of touch? Does this mean that CC and company have gotten much better about keeping information on set tight or are spoilers leaked elsewhere and just not making it here? They should be getting very close to completion on principal photography. 

Sign me,

An apparent spoiler whore. 

There hasn't been a lot more leaked tbh. There's a bit more over on Haven. Haven't been able to keep up as much with posting it on here though, rl has kept me a bit busy.

Ok, fresh off the presses via XFN!!

Monica Reyes is coming back for episode 6.

Source: xfilesnews.com

This one has me completely floored. Thought she wasn't going to be in it. Glad she is though.

There hasn't been a lot more leaked tbh. There's a bit more over on Haven. Haven't been able to keep up as much with posting it on here though, rl has kept me a bit busy.

Ok, fresh off the presses via XFN!!

Monica Reyes is coming back for episode 6.

Source: xfilesnews.com

This one has me completely floored. Thought she wasn't going to be in it. Glad she is though.

Ha. Yeah, ask and ye shall receive, I guess.

I can't say I enjoyed Reyes while she was on the show. In fact, I thought AG was a mostly horrible actress to watch. Having said that, here's hoping her role is a small one (I guess it's only in the last episode) and that it doesn't push M&S off to the side like those S8 episodes like Empedcles did.  Grrr....I still shudder at those episodes.

Maybe her return has something to do with William since she was there when he was born? 

Maybe her return has something to do with William since she was there when he was born?

Bite your tongue!

I had stopped watching by the time Monica showed up, so all I know about her is what I’ve read – whale songs, basically.

I’ve said all along a cameo by Reyes and/or Doggett would be fine, but anything more than that would be an unnecessary distraction, so I have no objection to her appearing in one episode.

Unless it’s about William.  And then I object on general principle.

Bite your tongue!

I had stopped watching by the time Monica showed up, so all I know about her is what I’ve read – whale songs, basically.

I’ve said all along a cameo by Reyes and/or Doggett would be fine, but anything more than that would be an unnecessary distraction, so I have no objection to her appearing in one episode.

Seriously... after all these years?! 

The blame goes on Chris for coming up with that one! @_@

Why? I'm curious.

Ha. Yeah, ask and ye shall receive, I guess.

I can't say I enjoyed Reyes while she was on the show. In fact, I thought AG was a mostly horrible actress to watch. Having said that, here's hoping her role is a small one (I guess it's only in the last episode) and that it doesn't push M&S off to the side like those S8 episodes like Empedcles did.  Grrr....I still shudder at those episodes.

Heck I didn't think she'd be in it tbh. *shrug* RP said that both him and her weren't going to be in it last time I checked.

I didn't find her all that bad.

Maybe.

I didn't mind Monica/Doggett and/or the actors either - the lukewarm reception was probably due to the writers checking out and not giving them much to work with.

I liked Reyes if for no other reason than her total love of Scully - which, if she thought Scully was hot then, wait till she sees her now.

• Love 1

Wait, what? I thought Reyes was not going to be in this. *sigh*

I tell ya....this is Chris Carter's X-Files swan song. He's bringing in all of the players in the show to make an appearance, ala the standing ovations seen in at the end of theatre shows.

Everyone - take your final bows.

• Love 1

Bite your tongue!

I had stopped watching by the time Monica showed up, so all I know about her is what I’ve read – whale songs, basically

"Whale songs."  Yes. Exactly. I can't get THAT out of my head, either. I think prior to that, I had mild dislike, annoyance of her. After Whale songs it went into full fledged disdain.

But William....yes, it is a stupid, silly corner the writers painted themselves into. Having said that....it's still sort of a big "thing" between Mulder and Scully. As much as I hated the storyline---or at least how it played out in S8 with all the stupid "who / what's the daddy?", the show is still kind of stuck with it.  Not even adopting a kid out really gets rid of him.  So in the same way that I don't think they can come back and ignore the previously revealed 2012 date and how that came/went without an invasion, I really don't think they can ignore William either or brush him off with a few words like they did in IWTB.  

Not that that's the reason for Reyes, it was just a guess. Because of, you know, whale songs. 

"Whale songs."  Yes. Exactly. I can't get THAT out of my head, either. I think prior to that, I had mild dislike, annoyance of her. After Whale songs it went into full fledged disdain.

But William....yes, it is a stupid, silly corner the writers painted themselves into. Having said that....it's still sort of a big "thing" between Mulder and Scully. As much as I hated the storyline---or at least how it played out in S8 with all the stupid "who / what's the daddy?", the show is still kind of stuck with it.  Not even adopting a kid out really gets rid of him.  So in the same way that I don't think they can come back and ignore the previously revealed 2012 date and how that came/went without an invasion, I really don't think they can ignore William either or brush him off with a few words like they did in IWTB.  

Not that that's the reason for Reyes, it was just a guess. Because of, you know, whale songs. 

Seriously?! Hatred over a character due to that? Wow. It was CHRIS who came up with that stupid thing. So I'm not blaming Reyes for it. At all. It's just one small part. Nothing more.

Wait, what? I thought Reyes was not going to be in this. *sigh*

I tell ya....this is Chris Carter's X-Files swan song. He's bringing in all of the players in the show to make an appearance, ala the standing ovations seen in at the end of theatre shows.

Everyone - take your final bows.

I don't mind it. She's only in ONE episode. No more than that. So I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I'm feeling that way too tbh. Anne Simon mentioned via Twitter that there's some closure in ep. 6, so it does sound as if things will be drawing to a close at least up to a point.

And ep. 4 sounds like it'll be different, here's what she thought of it:

Anne Simon ‏@Annealiz1  Aug 5

On way home at 2:20am, Chris asked my favorite scenes from that day's shoot of #XFiles episode 4.  Came up with 10.  Yes, it was that good.

Anne Simon ‏@Annealiz1  Aug 5

Final evening of #XFiles episode 4 before returning to day job. Cast and crew having a great time.  Take it from me- unforgettable episode!

Anne Simon ‏@Annealiz1  Aug 3

Hanging with Chris setting up camera angles for action scene in #XFiles episode 4 . Do I really have to go back to work on Wednesday? <-- so there is an action scene in the episode? Wondering if it's something to do with the explosion at the art museum?

chiara bor ‏@Chb82Chiara  Aug 11

@Annealiz1 If the show remains faithful to itself and M/S relationship is respected I think it'll be okay. But can we trust Carter to do so?

Anne Simon ‏@Annealiz1  Aug 11

@Chb82Chiara In my opinion, and after reading two of the scripts, the answer is, yes, you can.  Loved the original series; loved what I read

Thoughts on these you guys? It seems as if it'll be a good episode and the ones she worked on were ep. 4 and ep. 6, so I figure that's what she saw and it looks like Chris respected the relationship. At least going from what she said. I think we might be in for something special in ep. 4 though tbh.

Seriously?! Hatred over a character due to that? Wow. It was CHRIS who came up with that stupid thing. So I'm not blaming Reyes for it. At all. It's just one small part. Nothing more.

I don't mind it. She's only in ONE episode. No more than that. So I don't see what all the fuss is about.

-------

Thoughts on these you guys? It seems as if it'll be a good episode and the ones she worked on were ep. 4 and ep. 6, so I figure that's what she saw and it looks like Chris respected the relationship. At least going from what she said. I think we might be in for something special in ep. 4 though tbh.

Something about Reyes--she just never settled into the show, for me. I feel like the actress was always out of tune with the mood of the show. So by the time it got to her whooooing a bunch of whale songs I had given her every chance I was prepared to.  Obviously, I realize Reyes was a Chris Carter invention, but it was one particular invention I was hoping he would altogether leave behind.  For the most part, I've been very encouraged by the spoilers.  This one just leaves me cold. But, like you said, it's only one episode and hopefully her role will be brief at that.   And for the record, I wasn't anti the "new agents" on the original run; I actually liked Doggett quite a bit. But Reyes...ugh. 

I'm already all kinds of excited about episode 4 anyway.  Frankly, I'm excited about all of them.  I've never been concerned about the quality of the revival--i'm sure it will be good. 

Something about Reyes--she just never settled into the show, for me. I feel like the actress was always out of tune with the mood of the show. So by the time it got to her whooooing a bunch of whale songs I had given her every chance I was prepared to.  Obviously, I realize Reyes was a Chris Carter invention, but it was one particular invention I was hoping he would altogether leave behind.  For the most part, I've been very encouraged by the spoilers.  This one just leaves me cold. But, like you said, it's only one episode and hopefully her role will be brief at that.   And for the record, I wasn't anti the "new agents" on the original run; I actually liked Doggett quite a bit. But Reyes...ugh. 

I'm already all kinds of excited about episode 4 anyway.  Frankly, I'm excited about all of them.  I've never been concerned about the quality of the revival--i'm sure it will be good. 

Yea she was a bit different, but I didn't mind her that much. Hell, Tad leaves me more cold spoiler wise. It's been the opposite for me. I was grinning ear to ear over Reyes. So am I! I really liked Doggett.

So am I, it's shaping up to be really weird. Any guesses on it? I'm cautiously optimistic tbh. I hope so.